3700x upgrade for 4K?

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
For a gaming only machine, would you upgrade from a 3700x to 5000 series? Would be at 4k resolution.

For a gaming only machine, would you upgrade from a 3700x to 5000 series? Would be at 4k resolution.

You'll probably get some uplift but getting down to brass tax, the cpu is less important at 4k. The gpu becomes the major bottleneck and limiter so a gpu upgrade for 4k is way more important.

I’m trying to decide as well. Obviously I want a 5xxx because it’s faster and will drop into X570. Practically everything I’ve seen at 4k shows no difference at all against a 3700x.

I’ll probably hold off and wait for sales later in the product lifecycle, especially considering the effort it takes to acquire one.

as others noted a CPU upgrade wont likely reflect on anything you would notice except maybe a few MIN FPS increase as you are going to be more GPu bound at this point. This is why when people are comparing the new AMD to Intels at 4k gaming, AMD isnt so far ahead...

as others noted a CPU upgrade wont likely reflect on anything you would notice except maybe a few MIN FPS increase as you are going to be more GPu bound at this point. This is why when people are comparing the new AMD to Intels at 4k gaming, AMD isnt so far ahead...
Comparing CPUs under a GPU bottleneck, what a great idea.

No, which sucks bc incremental gaming appropriate cpu upgrades are cheaper than big dog gpu upgrades for a 4k use case.

The uplift you are seeking would be better served with your 3700x + an RTX 3090 or wait for the Radeon 6900XT

Mega6 the point around it was that everyone is saying how awesome AMD is now kicking intels butt (all praise em, i cant wait to build a new AMD rig and ditch this I5 8600 I am on), and people who have 10k series Intels are switching, who game at 4k....is basically a waste of money because your GPU bound more than CPU.

Mega6 the point around it was that everyone is saying how awesome AMD is now kicking intels butt (all praise em, i cant wait to build a new AMD rig and ditch this I5 8600 I am on), and people who have 10k series Intels are switching, who game at 4k....is basically a waste of money because your GPU bound more than CPU.
We can argue about agreeing if you like but I have better things to do really.

When someone is asking is a cpu upgrade is worth it while playing at 4K, it is a great idea to compare them under heavy 4K gaming load.

GPU upgrade first, definitely, and CPU upgrade only if you plan on running UHD@120Hz on a new HDMI 2.1 display. If you'll only be doing 60Hz, then the CPU upgrade can pretty much be held off indefinitely until you find some game that warrants the upgrade for minimum FPS, even at that resolution.

Mega6 brain fart by me! sorry, miss-read your reply initially, just read it again and my brain decided to actually process it this time.

When someone is asking is a cpu upgrade is worth it while playing at 4K, it is a great idea to compare them under heavy 4K gaming load.
Yes a straight zero slope horizontal line is very informative the first hundred times you see it. Not so much after that.

Yes a straight zero slope horizontal line is very informative the first hundred times you see it. Not so much after that.
Could be the first time to someone asking if a cpu change worth it to play in 4k, I think we could all agree to someone that has already a very capable CPU and asking if an upgrade to play 4K is worth it, the most relevant metric is performance in games while playing in 4K. For someone buying a new system that could be different.

I think we could all agree to someone that has already a very capable CPU and asking if an upgrade to play 4K is worth it, the most relevant metric is performance in games while playing in 4K.

Please translate this better. the OPs question was answered quite satisfactory on the first reply.

Please translate this better. the OPs question was answered quite satisfactory on the first reply.
Yes it was.

I will try a better translate:

When someone ask if upgrading a 3700x to play games in 4k is worth it, the best benchmark to look at is those with games played in 4K. If they happen to be purely GPU bottleneck with a 3700x and above CPU, so be it that was the information people were looking for.

Back