3700x to 5800x?

fightingfi

2[H]4U
running a 3700x its fine runs great, would it be worth going to a 5800x? I really want teh 5900x but not sure if id be able to get one this yr like anyone else and dont want to pay 800 bucks to get one , tankies in advanced :D

I went from a 3600x to a 5800x, so similar jump I guess? I noticed a difference and it feels much faster, but not an astronomical jump either. I imagine availability on the other 5xxx models is better now so you might consider other options as well.

need more info.........

Zen 3 per-thread performance increase is at-best 15% faster than Zen 2, but they also raised the price massively over Zen2 (3700x 8 cores at $329 launch -> 5800x at $399, now $450 launch).

it's a lot worse value than Zen 2 upgrade price was (Zen 2 3700x launched at same $329 price as Zen 1 1700 (both 8 cores!) But the 3700x was 35% faster in productivity apps, and 25% faster in games:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/22.html

Zen 3 is not really worth it, unless you absolutely have the money to burn (and in that case, you might as well grab more cores.) The 5900x at $549 is the best value part.

Last edited:
If it helps at all. I went from a ryzen 3700x to a 5600x about 4 days ago. Here is my take away...

I ran a few benchmarks and did some actual in-game playing. The 5600x is definitely slightly slower in anything that utilizes cores/threads more, so think production stuff. All synthetic benchmarks ran had lower numbers with my 5600x over the 3700x. However, they were not that much lower. I was a little worried going from 8-cores to 6-core. I did not really like that but I also did not want to pay almost $500 after tax for the 5800x.

Gaming. And to be clear, this is the ONLY reason to upgrade. This is the reason I wanted the 5600x over the 3700x. I did my research before hand so kind of knew what to expect. Strangely, running Unigine Superpostion and firestrike did not have much improvement like at all over the 3700x. I was a little worried after running those. I am going to guess it is because I am gpu bound maybe, I dont know. I was going to sell the 5600x if real world gaming only had this minimal improvement.

However, I play a few different games, one of them is Planetside 2. I stood in this VR training area at this exact spot and recorded my fps. Didnt change anything. Uninstalled the 3700x and dropped in the 5600x. Going to this exact same spot my FPS went from 273 with the 3700x to 453 with the 5600x. So yeah.... I use low quality settings and low resolution, that should be noted. That is why its such a drastic improvement but ya.... I dont know how it can be that great of an improvement but it is what msi afterburner and the in-game fps counter both say.

So I paid $323 for the 5600x and I sold my 3700x for $270. So I paid like $53 for a decent chunk of FPS boost. Was it worth it? Probably for me yes. If its not for like 100% gaming, the 5600x would be a downgrade to the 3700x for sure.

Last edited:
I went from 3700x to 5900x recently. Would not have done it if I was replacing with a 5800x. In fact I only grabbed the 5900 because MC had them and I wanted some new hardware to play with. Haven’t actually noticed any difference whatsoever aside from higher clocks in hwinfo and more cores in task manager but then again I play at 4k with a 3080. I figured the 5900x would be a great end of the line CPU for AM4 and should carry me quite a long time past the first gen or two of DDR5 platforms.

I am excited to leave my 3700x, which is a lovely clocker, behind in order to get a 5900x. I would not be interested in going to a 5800x. Too small of a jump.

running a 3700x its fine runs great, would it be worth going to a 5800x? I really want teh 5900x but not sure if id be able to get one this yr like anyone else and dont want to pay 800 bucks to get one , tankies in advanced :D
At those prices I would just stay put with your current 3700X. The 5800X costs too much money for such a modest real-world performance boost while having no additional cores or threads.

For that matter, the other 5000X-series CPUs cost way too much money right now compared to their originally intended price. For example, the 5900X costs more than $800 right now, compared to the $500 that it was originally planned to cost.

In other words, there is absolutely no cost-effective CPU upgrade to your current system at this present time (judging by their current street prices).

Last edited:
The problem right now is stock. The 5900x are extremely rare, and it seems AMD is not producing as much as lower end 5 series. So basically if you want a 5900x youre gonna have to learn how to run some types of scripts to help buy one or buy one from a scalper at like a 30% upcharge.

I can tell you that 5800x's are far easier to find in stock. Microcenter gets them all the time.

As I stated above, I just upgraded from a 3700x to a 5600x and the 5600x is definitely slower in everything else other than gaming. Gaming is the only reason for that specific "side-grade".

I settled on 5800x up from my 2700x solely on stock, I can get my hands on it and its an upgrade. 5900x was the goal but 3080 hunting was killing me so I settled on the CPU front and i'm more than happy.

If everything was in stock all the time, the 5800x makes no sense where it's priced but that just isn't a decision we have the luxury of right now.

If all you do is play CPU limited games a 5000 series might benefit you. It doesn't matter which reviewer you look at even if you're in love with Gamersnexus they still care about views so they're going to show you benchmarks that are going to drive their content and seem exciting. Just think how boring their review would have been if all they did was showed off GPU limited games and there's barely any difference. Some of the smaller channels are better for showing off real world content. Not sure spending the money to get 5fps increase is worth it, https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-5800x/16.html

If you're reviewing a CPU, why would you focus on performance in scenarios that aren't CPU bound? That just makes sense. Most reviewers do 1440/4k benchmarks also, just to show how CPU speed doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot in games, but that isn't the focus of a CPU review.

Went from a 3700x to a 3800xt to a 5800x, didn't really feel worth it and in fact have dealt with system instability ever since moving on from the 3700x!

I went from the 3700X to the 5900X and it was a huge difference. Wasn't too hard to get a 5900X from Amazon. The original arrival date was much farther out than when they ended up delivering it.

I went from the 3700X to the 5900X and it was a huge difference. Wasn't too hard to get a 5900X from Amazon. The original arrival date was much farther out than when they ended up delivering it.

Well god I would hope there would be some difference. A $550 cpu vs a $300 cpu.

I had a 5800X confirmed from Best Buy too, but I canceled it.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I received my 5800x as a gift so the value factor doesn't apply to me but just playing around with the chip and seeing single core boost just over 5ghz and multi core scores that trounce my 3700 makes the 5000 series jump worth it to me even if I had to buy it myself.
In real world games and such I'm sure the difference isn't great but I miss chips that are actually overclockable .
My 3700 was a fine chip just boring. Add some curve optimiser to the 5000 series and have at it !

Back