3700X motherboard - stick with ASUS Tuf Gaming-Plus or go with MSI Unify?

Unify all day long.Check out OCN thread.Played with x370 & x470 crosshair.POS.

Asus has sucked with AMD for ever.

Bring back DFI & ABit.Those where the days.

Just bought a unify today actually

I just got a Unify in for review. I've only inspected it thus far. It seems well built and its a good looking board.

Some people are not smart enough to own Asus i guess....i absolutely love mine. DFI was the biggest POS nightmare i ever owned!!! They had purty boxes though!:)

Most of the ASUS motherboards I've worked with over the years have been excellent. This includes the recent Crosshair VIII Hero review I did a few weeks back. That's not to say all of them were good. ASUS' Striker Extreme and Crosshair V Formula (I believe) were pretty awful.

Dan your going to like the unify.Toss in Patriot viper steel 4400. Let the games begin.

Asus AM4...................No searching thru pages of unorganized bios.Multiple reboots trying to load.Unify boots quick.Crosshairs boot time is like watching paint dry.

Any updates on your review? Chomping at the bit.

I am working on other things at this very moment. Unfortunately, that one is going to be a couple weeks out at least.

Dan your going to like the unify.Toss in Patriot viper steel 4400. Let the games begin.

Asus AM4...................No searching thru pages of unorganized bios.Multiple reboots trying to load.Unify boots quick.Crosshairs boot time is like watching paint dry.

I have to work with what I have for RAM. Which isn't any Patriot Viper anything at the moment.

Some people are not smart enough to own Asus i guess....i absolutely love mine. DFI was the biggest POS nightmare i ever owned!!! They had purty boxes though!:)

The CH7 and CH8 boards were great for me. I only traded down to the X570-Pro on a cost saving move as I wasn't using the Wifi6 or the 2.5G LAN. Even the older X370-Pro has had enough bios updates by this point to be decent. I trust Asus over MSI any day to actually provide updated bioses going forward.

But to the OP's question. Those are two different tiered boards. The TUF is a lower mid-range board. Realtek LAN, VRM's aren't quite as good. The Unify is more of a solid mid-range closer to the GB Aorus Elite and the Asus X570-Pro in features. Intel LAN, upgraded VRM's, etc.

Unify has high end VRM cooling, check out the Hardware Unboxed review.

Unify gets in tomorrow. Even though I'm only using a 3700X, looking forward to getting it into the system.

you're comparing a $300 board to a sub $200 board. a board that's as much as a 3700x. complete, uttertly overkill for a 3700x unless you need a 2.5g network card integrated. or having issues with it but if that's the case just look at the gigabyte aorus elite. you're better off staying with the tuf. that money wasted would have been better spent at a better cooler (that would actually benefit more for higher boosting / overclocking), video card, nvme, and so much more worth while things.

i know bullzoid of actual hardcore overclocking wrote off boards above 200 for 8 cores and below and only a few boards over 200 worth it for 3900x's and 3950x's. all he could justify was the nic cards really.

but hey i guess its your money. here i am sitting on a tuf plus non wifi and a 3800x and happy. i spent my money on 32gb cas 16 3600mhz ram, meshify c, two nvme's (adata sx8200 and intel 660p 1tb), and a fuma 2 cooler.

Last edited:
you're comparing a $300 board to a sub $200 board. a board that's as much as a 3700x. complete, uttertly overkill for a 3700x unless you need a 2.5g network card integrated. or having issues with it but if that's the case just look at the gigabyte aorus elite. you're better off staying with the tuf. that money wasted would have been better spent at a better cooler (that would actually benefit more for higher boosting / overclocking), video card, nvme, and so much more worth while things.

i know bullzoid of actual hardcore overclocking wrote off boards above 200 for 8 cores and below and only a few boards over 200 worth it for 3900x's and 3950x's. all he could justify was the nic cards really.

but hey i guess its your money. here i am sitting on a tuf plus non wifi and a 3800x and happy. i spent my money on 32gb cas 16 3600mhz ram, meshify c, two nvme's (adata sx8200 and intel 660p 1tb), and a fuma 2 cooler.

I think my new build is quite decent - 3700x, 32gb cas 16 3200mhz ram, Caselabs BH7, 1 new NVME (1tb Inland), 2 SSD from previous build, Powercolor RX 5700XT, and a Noctua U9S (limited in what I can use due to case limitations). I already have the Asus Tuf, but I got it before they cut the price.

I think my new build is quite decent - 3700x, 32gb cas 16 3200mhz ram, Caselabs BH7, 1 new NVME (1tb Inland), 2 SSD from previous build, Powercolor RX 5700XT, and a Noctua U9S (limited in what I can use due to case limitations). I already have the Asus Tuf, but I got it before they cut the price.
looks fine except get a bigger case or dont complain about it running hot...

looks fine except get a bigger case or dont complain about it running hot...

Yeah, I've been jonesing for a Caselabs ever since they went out of business. I should've went with a BH8, but for some reason didn't pull the trigger. Quality materials, smart design... just not a lot of room for a larger cooler.

Could sell the Caselabs (which I probably could for a decent amount) and get a Meshify or PC-011 Dynamic, or keep the BH7 and get a 120mm AIO/stick with the Noctua U9S.

forever? dude back in those days the ASUS A8n32-SLI Deluxe paired w/ FX-60 & Corsair TWINX2048-3500LL PRO was the most bad ass system you could own (and i did, until it was stolen). there was also a reason ABIT went out of business... you can have them. 990FX Sabertooth was also a beast.

but back to modern day, if i had unlimited money I would prob grab a crosshair but since i don't i'm grabbing a TUF. Not saying anything against the unify tho. it looks nice and hopefully that is their attempt to make up for their garbage low end X570 boards. but then again it's $300 where as the ASUS TUF can be had for almost half of that right now if you don't need wifi. so.. either way you will prob do alright. especially w/ a 3700X.

did you get the ballistix tuf memory? if so did you OC it yet? i also got a 3800X and i have 32GB Ballistix TUF sitting here, just waiting on Motherboard (obviously getting the TUF X570). My car's transmission took a sh*t in the middle of my build. so i have parts just sitting here staring at me...

You're right, d'oh! I guess that would provide better cooling for the 3700X and make it a bit quieter than the Noctua, wouldn't it?

not necessarily think of how many fans you will be running on that radiator (push, pull) then add in pump noise. noctua makes a pretty efficient/quiet cooler not sure about the u9? you couldn't go w/ a u12? the u12 posted better temps than some aio's in a recent linus tt video. or i'm looking at getting a Cooler Master MasterAir MA620M for my 3800X but i also have a window and full atx case so not sure if it would fit in the one you got?

not necessarily think of how many fans you will be running on that radiator (push, pull) then add in pump noise. noctua makes a pretty efficient/quiet cooler not sure about the u9? you couldn't go w/ a u12? the u12 posted better temps than some aio's in a recent linus tt video. or i'm looking at getting a Cooler Master MasterAir MA620M for my 3800X but i also have a window and full atx case so not sure if it would fit in the one you got?

Well it would only be a either a pull or a push - the case doesn't have room for a push/pull setup. Strange, I've wanted a Caselabs Bullet for a while now, and now that I have it, it's almost like it's not living up to expectations (which were set and held by me and only me). The case is quality through and through, no issues there. Just wish it was a bit bigger/taller (which would make it a BH8).

The tallest Noctua that would fit in the case with 2 120mm fans on the top is a Noctua U9S.

Well it would only be a either a pull or a push - the case doesn't have room for a push/pull setup. Strange, I've wanted a Caselabs Bullet for a while now, and now that I have it, it's almost like it's not living up to expectations (which were set and held by me and only me). The case is quality through and through, no issues there. Just wish it was a bit bigger/taller (which would make it a BH8).

The tallest Noctua that would fit in the case with 2 120mm fans on the top is a Noctua U9S.

noctua = quality so prob be decent. you could prob also add a fan to the u9 for push pull and knock a couple degrees off too if that's what you end up going with.

yes its decent but not good enough here. it is a right angle single tower cooler, just a bit above a 212...

forever? dude back in those days the ASUS A8n32-SLI Deluxe paired w/ FX-60 & Corsair TWINX2048-3500LL PRO was the most bad ass system you could own (and i did, until it was stolen). there was also a reason ABIT went out of business... you can have them. 990FX Sabertooth was also a beast.

but back to modern day, if i had unlimited money I would prob grab a crosshair but since i don't i'm grabbing a TUF. Not saying anything against the unify tho. it looks nice and hopefully that is their attempt to make up for their garbage low end X570 boards. but then again it's $300 where as the ASUS TUF can be had for almost half of that right now if you don't need wifi. so.. either way you will prob do alright. especially w/ a 3700X.

I still have it.LMFAO.Sell it to you.

I still have it.LMFAO.Sell it to you.

tempting for nostalgia purposes. even still have the box. was nice too. it came with all kinds of extra screws and cables and what not. but i had the ram modules w/ the l.e.d.s! 2-3-2-6 1T you don't see numbers like that these days! :pompous:

and that's back when you could have the top of the line motherboard for $229 ..not $1000 like they want now. pricing is getting out of hand these days. hopefully they don't sell and companies will get the hint.

Back