3700X: High Temp Underloaded...

I'm running 68-74 C depending on the work load and freq. When I checked this morning I was at around 66 C running just under 3.9 GHz. Stock cooler but IC7 paste. Fan speed is around 2100 RPM just barely audible. When I PBO the CPU, I shoot into the upper 70s and low 80s on the stock cooler with the IC7 paste. I am of the opinion the stock cooler is not terrible at stock speeds but it is also a descent amount of money. Honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I would have just gone directly to the aftermarket for a much better cooler. If anything, AMD should have partnered with a company like Cooler master and been done with it. The other option would be to follow the Intel K based CPUs and not included a cooler at all. Drop the price by 40 bucks and it would still be a great bang for the buck. That is my opinion regarding the stock cooler. I see an aftermarket cooler in my future once this all dies down and I am working again.

I'm running 68-74 C depending on the work load and freq. When I checked this morning I was at around 66 C running just under 3.9 GHz. Stock cooler but IC7 paste. Fan speed is around 2100 RPM just barely audible. When I PBO the CPU, I shoot into the upper 70s and low 80s on the stock cooler with the IC7 paste. I am of the opinion the stock cooler is not terrible at stock speeds but it is also a descent amount of money. Honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I would have just gone directly to the aftermarket for a much better cooler. If anything, AMD should have partnered with a company like Cooler master and been done with it. The other option would be to follow the Intel K based CPUs and not included a cooler at all. Drop the price by 40 bucks and it would still be a great bang for the buck. That is my opinion regarding the stock cooler. I see an aftermarket cooler in my future once this all dies down and I am working again.

Those aren't high temps....

I had a 1700x go into the 90's as well doing this shit on custom water, with like 4x120mm radiators in the loop. It eventually got so hot it fried the board, but the chip still posts just fine in a different board so. Meh.

Under a wraith prism 2 it boosts into the 80's. Had to clamp the boost down to something reasonable as it's now on an ITX board. I even ran it in a sealed box (to emulate the weather where the recipient lives, as the chip will have to put up with 30'c ambient room temps) and it passed fine, for a day or two.

And I remember when a 939 X2 would BSOD over 60c.

Those aren't high temps....

I thought they were getting on the warm side if you ask me. However I have not overclocked any thing really since owning a Q6600 Quad core in 2010. Everything has been run pretty much at stock clocks. Then again I stopped gaming not needing overclocks on things. However I do like how these Ryzens run. They seem to be pretty smooth coming from Skylake 6600k The Ryzen 2600 I had was smooth and ran cool around 60 at full load. So I felt the 3700X ran hot in comparsion. Anyway after 16 days of 24.7 running, I restarted the system with PBO and let her rip. It seems to be stable at 4.00 and 81 C. We will see if she doesn't like the next 14 days :)

try again with Aida64 FPU only, so you could compare.
AIDA64.jpg

I didn't see the part about 100% stress load if that was your meaning of 3700x temps .. I said 60c for gaming load in Borderlands 3 was my meaning of stock cooler temp ..

Last edited:
Back