3700+ SD or 3800+ NC?

i know that one's 90nm while the newcastle's 13 micros. newcastle cores are older... the cache is different, and operating speeds differ by 200mhz. but other than that, what's the big difference for $40?

You would be much better off getting the SD 3700+ because you can always OC to compensate for lack of clock speeds but never for a lack of cache. The SD overclocks much better in the right conditions and performs better in most applications with the extra cache. I've seen people hit 2.8 ghz on this forum on air with SDs. The newcastles have a pretty low ceiling comparitively.

yeah i had heard that the nc's were plagued with low oc's so i wanted to make sure i heard right.

bored-sarcasm said:
yeah i had heard that the nc's were plagued with low oc's so i wanted to make sure i heard right.
yes and no. some are awesome, some suck. the same thing goes for the 3700+ though, but i think the san diego will hit higher speeds on average.

but, if you're gonna overclock, why not just get the 3200+ venice?

(cf)Eclipse said:
yes and no. some are awesome, some suck. the same thing goes for the 3700+ though, but i think the san diego will hit higher speeds on average.

but, if you're gonna overclock, why not just get the 3200+ venice?

i have to agree with eclipse, for ocing, get a venice...

Also you won't have to worry about memory configurations as much with the SD. Still the biggest factor to chose the 3700 over the 38 is because of the cache.

SD piece of cake.... at least per the topic. Want to save a bunch get a 3200+ or 3000+. Don't spend $350 plus on a 512kb chip.

well its for college, so i'm not looking to oc until i bring it home for the summer. i know its rare, but i dont want some freak accident to fry my proc.

besides, im going up from a 1.1 celeron...

this is getting to be cliche, but are you aware that a 3000+ or a 3200+ will OC extremely well, without extreme vcore/cooling issues? I mean they are a throwback to the old 300a in my opinion. Another less expensive option would be to go with one of those, it will do 2.4 out of the box without issue, and 2.6-2.8 is common as well. Just throwing it out there in case you didn't know what these Rev. E's do, and are looking for extra cash for a better video card, etc.

Back