3700 Sandy OR 3800 X2 Man?

wonkman

Limp Gawd
Which would be a better deal for a gaming rig with a modest OC:

$190 for a 3700 San Diego with 1MB cache @ 2.2

OR

$241 for a 3800 X2 Manchester with 2 X 512 cache @ 2.0

Is there a big problem with games on the X2 or is it easily solved? I know there is an AMD patch but is that all that is required for problem free gaming?

robberbaron said:
Get the X2, but for $241, make sure its a dual core.

It's definately an X2 but is there a big issue with gaming? Also, I know no games really take advantage of the dual core so am I just better off getting the higher clock and larger cache (1MB for a single core vs. 1MB for 2 cores) on the single core for less money?

wonkman said:
It's definately an X2 but is there a big issue with gaming? Also, I know no games really take advantage of the dual core so am I just better off getting the higher clock and larger cache (1MB for a single core vs. 1MB for 2 cores) on the single core for less money?

Quake 4, Oblivian, UE3 take advantage of it, among others. Plus nVidia cards get a boost in performance due to multithreaded drivers. The X2 is all around a superior processor to that 3700+. Dont ever buy a single core again, if you can help it.

robberbaron said:
Quake 4, Oblivian, UE3 take advantage of it, among others. Plus nVidia cards get a boost in performance due to multithreaded drivers. The X2 is all around a superior processor to that 3700+. Dont ever buy a single core again, if you can help it.

I'm going to get a 7800GT with it.

Get dual core. Read the sticky about gaming and you should be fine. Honestly, for $241, you could turn around and resell that X2 and make money.

Back