37" Westinghouse (LVM-37w1) ghosting only in HL2???

RomanMtz

Gawd
I just bought this LCD and so far I'm loving it, just have a little issue with it...

I was wondering if anyone else that owns a Westinghouse 37" 1080p LCD model LVM-37w1 has experienced significant ghosting in Half-Life 2 (purplish or greenish trails that extend from objects while moving from side to side). I mostly notice it with black figures (black cables in the bald doctor's lab where Alyx is teleported in the beginning of the game for example or black grafitti on walls). The weird thing is that I don't notice any of this ghosting in PS2 games played on the LCD or other PC games like Prey or Tomb Raider Legends. I tried changing all kinds of settings and resolutions but it still ghosts noticably.

Is it definately the panel or is there a posibility it could be some kind of setting? Even if I could reduce it's effect it would be nice... it kinda bothers me.

Thanks in advance!

This happens occassionally on my 37w3. Usually it disappears or is reduced once the panel warms up. It is very noticable right when the panel turns on, but 20 mins later I can barely see it.

This is ghosting, and unless it is extreme it is just something we have to deal with on LCDs.

That is something else I was wondering actually... if it also happened on the w3... I thought it didn't because of the faster response time.

The only weird thing I see about this is that it happens only with HL2... could it be a source engine thing? I'll have to try Sin to find out..

Can you post some pictures of your monitor and the weird effect in hl2? I'm about to buy this screen as it is so awesome! :)

I'm playing on a PC at everything max with a 7950GX2... but it's not the vid card cause I tried it on a Viewsonic 20.1 widescreen and it doesn't ghost there...

I'll try to get pics. I dont have a camera but i'll try to borrow one...

RomanMtz said:
I'm playing on a PC at everything max with a 7950GX2... but it's not the vid card cause I tried it on a Viewsonic 20.1 widescreen and it doesn't ghost...
A "7950GX2" video card ?? When did that card come out?
I have two 7900GT's running in SLI. Awesome cards.
BTW, I bot the 37" Westy, latest W3 revision) and ran Oblivion on it at both 1920x1200 rez and 1080P rez (which is 1920x1080).
In fiercest fights, and fast action scenes, it was flawless and no ghosting, at least to my eyes, and colors and sharpness were wonderful.
Text-work at 1080P rez, was real good, but I could see tiny particles that made up each letter of the alphabet (if I stuck nose right up close to screen and looked for them).

MY hands-on opinion:
37" Westy Rev W3, is a fine, fine LCD monitor.
I returned it only because its physical size was too big for me and because when I look real close at a screen in Text mode, I don't want to be able to see the "tiny particles" that each letter is made of (Hmm, a darn silly reason, actually :D ).

Zak said:
A "7950GX2" video card ?? When did that card come out?
I have two 7900GT's running in SLI. Awesome cards.
BTW, I bot the 37" Westy, latest W3 revision) and ran Oblivion on it at both 1920x1200 rez and 1080P rez (which is 1920x1080).
In fiercest fights, and fast action scenes, it was flawless and no ghosting, at least to my eyes, and colors and sharpness were wonderful.
Text-work at 1080P rez, was real good, but I could see tiny particles that made up each letter of the alphabet (if I stuck nose right up close to screen and looked for them).

MY hands-on opinion:
37" Westy Rev W3, is a fine, fine LCD monitor.
I returned it only because its physical size was too big for me and because when I look real close at a screen in Text mode, I don't want to be able to see the "tiny particles" that each letter is made of (Hmm, a darn silly reason, actually :D ).

You haven't heard of NVIDIA'S 7950GX2 yet? HERE: http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurations.jspa?seriesId=185563&productId=291587

Anyways, I have tried other games and no noticable ghosting... It seems to have something to do with the Source engine... Only HL2 and Sin Episodes does this... and FEAR some too...

Zak, do you have a source engine game you can try on your screen to see if it does it on yours too? A good place to test it is where Barney first takes you into a small room and takes his combine mask off. Theres this round wallclock... look at theat clock and move the screen around. That clock ghosts like a mofo.

Please let me know. Thanks!

RomanMtz said:
Zak, do you have a source engine game you can try on your screen to see if Westy ghosts on Source engine? A good place to test it is where Barney first takes you into a small room and takes his combine mask off. Theres this round wallclock... it ghosts
Thanks for the link. No, I have no Source-engine game, altho I was thinking of trying FEAR cuz I heard its scary.

Anyone else have this screen and a source engine game or FEAR they can try and tell me if it ghosts on their screen too?

Thanks!

Back