360s still failing.

so to all 360 users that have had a unit fail can i sell you a car that looks good but is a lemon? seriously i know people that are on their 6th 360 rental from Microsoft (yes i said rental) i would of threw it out after the 1st one and ebay'd all the shit i had for it and built a good pc or get a wii/ps3. why do you people put up with this bullshit is beyond any form of logical reason.

I have every console and a gaming PC. If I could keep only 2 it would be the PC and the 360. My 360 has, of course, RROD'd before. Games, the fact that my livelihood does not depend on a console, and I bought it before anyone knew what an RROD is, details the reasons I put up with this shit. I wish this wasn't an "it is what it is" scenario, but alas it is. At least I can fix it myself. I am sure you will mention you shouldn't need to be heatsink saavy to use a console, but refer to previous points.

Last edited:
Leave it to guitar ass to post anti-MS crap. Funny how he doesn't mention the growing Yellow Light of Death (YLOD) being reported daily on the PS3s, which are dropping like flies, especially the launch 60gb models.

Luckily, a guy just released a 2 part video on how to fix it (the problem is almost identical to the RROD problem). It's a long process, but Sony doesn't warranty their YLOD like MS warranties the RROD, so it will cost you $150 to fix it, or much less if you do it yourself (which many are ending up doing).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU

I just recently sold my Original 360 to a friend for 75 bucks and gave him Madden and Kameao.
It never had the RROD on it. I always kept it out in the open and it was able to breath.

I wonder why some up and died.. and some didnt?

I just recently sold my Original 360 to a friend for 75 bucks and gave him Madden and Kameao.
It never had the RROD on it. I always kept it out in the open and it was able to breath.

I wonder why some up and died.. and some didnt?

Because even poorly made things don't have a 100% failure rate?

More bashing MS and the 360
/yawn

There wouldnt be a lot of bashing of MS made a console that actually works for then in a week. seriously there is no point defending MS because all the bashing they get is fully deserved with such a useless piece of hardware that fails alot of times. mine failed 6 times by the way, great aint it and i paid about £280 for it when they first came out. money NOT well spent.

i am very shocked that 3 years later THEY STILL CANT FIX THE RROD issue. pathetic

We get it the 360 gets RROD, you can keep crying about it or you can not purchase it. I am curious as to why someone would continue to buy the same product after it had failed 2-3 times, let alone 5-6? 6 failures is a pretty clear indicating that you are doing it wrong.

We get it the 360 gets RROD, you can keep crying about it or you can not purchase it. I am curious as to why someone would continue to buy the same product after it had failed 2-3 times, let alone 5-6? 6 failures is a pretty clear indicating that you are doing it wrong.

who continued to buy and use the product? not me mate. i got a ps3 after the 4th one died.

doing what wrong? i hardly play games compared to the average gamer who plays 20hours per week, me? i only play around 5-6 hours a week so i dont even use the thing that much plus it was well ventilated

The problem is that once you send off your 360 to MS, most cases they will just send you a bloody refurb instead of a brand new one or your same console fixed

been like that ever since i got a 360. hey, im not crying. i got another alternative that actualy works and has been since i got it at launch.

Last edited:
i am very shocked that 3 years later THEY STILL CANT FIX THE RROD issue. pathetic
Umm... it is fixed on new machines. New 360s have pretty much the same failure rate as the PS3. If you know a way of fixing all the machines that are out there that got bought in the past though I'm sure MS would love to hear it.

(I do agree that at minimum they should be sending out opus revision 360s to replace old machines now rather than fucked up old refurbs)

well these jaspars just came out a few months ago so still it took MS 3 years to fix it. still not good enough!

whats the chances of my 360 messing up and them sending me a jaspar nit?

Failure levels have been around the PS3 mark since the Falcon revision.

That aside, it's only really people with old models (Non HDMI) that are getting screwed with refurbs. A shit situation really.

I still don't understand why people are still getting so upset about this (or ever were). The consoles are getting fixed for free, you're not being forced to buy a new one, and you're not losing anything. All you have to do is send it off and be without an xbox for 2 weeks. 2 weeks without a game system isn't the end of the world, go outside or do something else.

doing what wrong?
Have you checked to make sure your wall socket and/or surge protector aren't reverse polarity for some reason? Have you checked your electrical wiring for surges or current noise? Have you had any other high end devices fail or have problems?

There wouldnt be a lot of bashing of MS made a console that actually works for then in a week. seriously there is no point defending MS because all the bashing they get is fully deserved with such a useless piece of hardware that fails alot of times. mine failed 6 times by the way, great aint it and i paid about £280 for it when they first came out. money NOT well spent.

I agree cuz I'm on my 6th as well and there's really no point in defending MS because they deserve it. I love my 360, but they are without a doubt the worst piece of engineered electronics I've ever owned.

Have you checked to make sure your wall socket and/or surge protector aren't reverse polarity for some reason? Have you checked your electrical wiring for surges or current noise? Have you had any other high end devices fail or have problems?

plugged it in in none surge and surge prottected plugs. my ps3, pc and laptop has never failed me. must be the wiring in my studio appartment. it sucks tbh.

so am i the only 360 owner who had a unit malfunction and not get pissed? sure it sucks, but it's free to fix, and i knew i should expect hardware failure when i bought my xbox over a year ago

so am i the only 360 owner who had a unit malfunction and not get pissed? sure it sucks, but it's free to fix, and i knew i should expect hardware failure when i bought my xbox over a year ago

Same here. I figured it would get fixed for free anyways so why not.

When i purchased my 1st xbox 360, it was an original.. and never had problems.. Even when people started having problems I thought, that sucks.. for them. Flash forward a few year, and I have now purchased a Elite 360. If mine failed and was under warranty, I would have it fixed and id be like WTF. Had i been out of warranty, I would have been pissed and WTF, i wouldnt buy another.

No one should be buying hardware and expecting it to fail after 2 years or so.. matter of fact, as long as Im treating the unit good.. no drops or putting it in an environment thats bad for it.. The unit should last a LONG LONG time.. Sure, I could see the DVD player going out if you watched movies 24/7 on it, or the hard drive crapping out.. Im sure MS could have a part department mail the DVD out to you.. make that part user replaceable.

But for the MOBO to go on a unit... thats BS. Any unit thats treated good and used normally should OUTLAST the software made for it. I mean.. you can still find nintendo NES's out there, and they WORK.. Still to this day!

Go through 4 or 5 and see if you can keep that positive attitude.

Go through 4 or 5 and see if you can keep that positive attitude.
I can see where your coming from. I guess I have just been lucky so far and have not had any problems, but then again, if i HAD problems more than 2 times.. There wouldnt be a third.. As much as I like 360, its not that great.. and I have a ps3 to boot.. many of the games come out on both consoles now.. Look at RE5 there. Maybe MSG? will come out on both lol

Im really surprised there has not been a big movement on a class action lawsuit with all these problems.

Im really surprised there has not been a big movement on a class action lawsuit with all these problems.
There have been a few class action suits... but they're all destined to fail whilst MS is providing warranties for the dead machines. There would only really be a case if machines were failing and MS wasn't repairing / replacing.

well hopefully they learned their lesson and their next console will be well built

It was bulletproof... almost literally. ;)

Irate Marylander shoots his roommates' console, but the 9mm round fails to penetrate its casing.

When called to investigate a shooting last Friday night, police in Anne Arundel County, Maryland found an unlikely culprit--an Xbox.

The Baltimore Sun reports that 34-year old Robert Preston Kersey had grown enraged by his roommates constantly playing their Xbox at high volume. According to the police report, Kersey emerged from his bedroom at 2 a.m. brandishing an automatic pistol. Rather than shoot his roommates, Kersey took aim at the offending Xbox and fired a single shot at the console. While the bullet's impact disabled the Xbox, its thick plastic casing deflected the 9mm round, which ricocheted away harmlessly.

Other than the Xbox, no injuries resulted from the incident. Kersey was later booked on two counts of reckless endangerment and one count of destruction of property.

Amusingly it worked afterwards... but I can't seem to find the proper story any more. :(

XBOX 1 was well built?

Compared to the ps2? Hell yes. I guess some people are too young to remember the massive ps2 failures that plagued that console. Plus, the original xbox was a hideous black cinder block, nothing could mess that thing up.

the original xbox had the saftely releases so if you yanked on the controllers it wouldn't dislodge the console and kill any small children or animals nearby. shit was huge.

it's true, that i dunno if i'd still be as interested in my 360 if i had to replace it 4 or 5 times, but at the same time, i love the games so much so who knows.

Plus, the original xbox was a hideous black cinder block, nothing could mess that thing up.
+1
Mine went end over end down a flight of stairs, plugged it in, and it worked just fine.

trust me for the people hat have had multiple units fail i would want ms to fry as well. its absurd but i always hold reservations for people that get paid for posts and people who just want their product to win. so they go around and say anything and make stuff bigger just because they are weird.

but i have gotten cars, fridges, ovens, tvs, vcr's, dvd players, mp3 players, pretty much anything and everything will have issues at some point. releasing something and saying you messed up and fixing it is ok. they cross the line when you have something that fails over and over now that is inexcusable imo. as long as its not being abused of course then the person that complains needs to get real and take care of what they have.

Compared to the ps2? Hell yes. I guess some people are too young to remember the massive ps2 failures that plagued that console. Plus, the original xbox was a hideous black cinder block, nothing could mess that thing up.

I had my release PS2 for 2 years before it fell and the damn dvd player broke. That is the only reason I had replaced it. Sony>Microsoft in this buyers' eyes. But this thread isn't about Sony.

Would it be worth buying a 360 to play all the halos? I have never tried it:/

Would it be worth buying a 360 to play all the halos? I have never tried it:/
If you're interested in playing them... sure, why not. Even if you don't end up loving them there's plenty of other stuff to play (especially community games / XBLA).

Not if you've ever played any pc shooter of note.
Not to turn this into another Halo related flame war... but that's horseshit. It's perfectly possible to play and enjoy both PC shooters and console shooters (namely Halo in this case).

Hell, Halo was the first console shooter I ever played after being a PC gamer all my life. :D

Last edited:
Not to turn this into another Halo related flame war... but that's horseshit. It's perfectly possible to play and enjoy both PC shooters and console shooters (namely Halo in this case).

Hell, Halo was the first console shooter I ever played after being a PC gamer all my life. :D

If I'm consistent in anything, it's my hate of the overratedness of Halo :)

trust me for the people hat have had multiple units fail i would want ms to fry as well. its absurd but i always hold reservations for people that get paid for posts and people who just want their product to win. so they go around and say anything and make stuff bigger just because they are weird.

but i have gotten cars, fridges, ovens, tvs, vcr's, dvd players, mp3 players, pretty much anything and everything will have issues at some point. releasing something and saying you messed up and fixing it is ok. they cross the line when you have something that fails over and over now that is inexcusable imo. as long as its not being abused of course then the person that complains needs to get real and take care of what they have.

qtf. i own fridges etc etc and not one of them has made me replace it 6 times let alone twice

Last edited:
qtf. i own fridges etc etc and not one of them has made me replace it 6 times let alone twice

Are you really comparing a hundred year old technology like a fridge to a piece of technology? Ipods, vcrs, dvd players, mp3 players, whatever. Shit breaks all the time. The 360 broke more often than most, but they replace it for free, no questions asked.

I probably can't go without my fridge for 10 days, but if your biggest complaint is that you get your 360 repaired for free and have to go without it for ten days, you have big problems.

Are you really comparing a hundred year old technology like a fridge to a piece of technology? Ipods, vcrs, dvd players, mp3 players, whatever. Shit breaks all the time. The 360 broke more often than most, but they replace it for free, no questions asked.

I probably can't go without my fridge for 10 days, but if your biggest complaint is that you get your 360 repaired for free and have to go without it for ten days, you have big problems.

no my biggest complaint is that its unreliable and keeps breaking. O and they dont fix my 360's, they send people refurbes. try again mr 360 fanboy

Back