3600X & Wraith Cooler Noise

Spartacus

2[H]4U
Just built a 3600X/MSI Tomahawk system after being away from AMD for many years.
Very pleased with it, the system is running well.

One tiny issue I had was noise on the Wraith cooler. It was making a low droning whine kind of a sound
made worse by constant speed fluctuations.

I made two adjustments and it's much better now......

First is that I bumped up the fan speed on the first step from 30% to 45%. That's the step where the CPU
spends most of it's time. It's actually making far less noise running faster. That low droning sound is gone now.
Just a soft air movement sound now.

The other change was making the ramp up & ramp down speed changes .3 sec instead of the default .1 sec.
That makes fan speed changes more gradual and less noticeable. It also doesn't need to change RPM as much
now since it's running at a faster minimum speed. CPU is running cooler so it doesn't have to speed up the fan.

I imagine many of you AMD guys already know this stuff, but I figured I'd post it since there seem to be a lot
of people building AMD systems with the newer 3000 series CPUs.

I never did much fan tuning on my Intel systems since the bundled coolers are junk for the most part. I just
bought a big honkin' cooler and kept the default fan speeds and they were always quiet. With AMD bundling a
decent cooler, it's nice to be able to dial in the fan RPM curve for less noise.

You can just run a static speed instead of variable. Your brain will filter out a static frequency whereas a variable will be a constant nuisance.

Good point on static speed.

I do want it to ramp up under a heavy load though.
It's pretty quiet the way it's setup now.

That fan has an unpleasant growl at lower RPMs.

I suppose another solution is to not be cheap and buy a better cooler for it. :happy:

I'm running the stock Wraith cooler which came with my 2600x and I just set it to 100% speed at all times. Same for my case fans. I don't mind the background noise from them as I don't normally notice it. However, I do notice the lack of noise. I swear I can be halfway across the house from my computer and I'll know instantly if the system has shut down. The fans aren't anywhere near loud enough to be heard that far away but I notice it anyway.

That said, the fan on the Wraith cooler simply isn't loud. Loud would be the 7k 60mm Deltas I used to run or the 8k 60mmx38mm Delta I ran for a time (but only on a fan controller because you literally could hear it up a floor and across the house and it was distracting) and I've also used 80mm and 92mm Vantec Tornado fans. Fans running a piddly 2500 RPM is nothing to me.

As I said, the noise doesn't really bother me. The change in noise does bother me immensely. I absolutely cannot stand to hear fans spin up and down as I find it extremely distracting. When the sound profile changes it isn't simple background noise anymore and cannot be ignored.

LOL..... those Delta fans were awesome!
Sure moved some air but they were totally obnoxious.

I bought one and had to run it at 5v. It was a bit much at 12v.

Back