3600x 3700x , 3800x vs 9900K for gaming

you said that In my view new console CPU's will be slower than 3700X, as they have a limited power budget to work with.

what you mean when you say that they have a limited power budget to work with. ?/

also do you believe that the zen 3 when it will release it will be more powerfull and more futureproof against the ps5 and xbox cpus??

3600 is actually the best buy
Non x

Games support threads, not cores. Games dont care if its a core or a thread. AMDs SMT is better than hyper threading quite a bit.

A 3600 will save you money and it will alow you to get more ram or gpu instead.

A 9900k will be a total wste of money because its getting old and is only a clock speed winner. You seriously want to pay a mega premo to get 190fps when the AMD gets you 180fps? Can one tell the difference?

A 3900x will be a total waste of money unless you meed heavy productivity.

Im being a realist here. A 3600 is powerful enough for 4k gaming to where your GPU wil be pegged and cpu just cruising along.

you said that Games support threads, not cores. Games dont care if its a core or a thread. AMDs SMT is better than hyper threading quite a bit.

what you mean?>?

some games takes advantage of 6 and 8 cores.,. corect?/

how you say that games dont care if its a core or a thread ??

also can you explain me what is the SMT??

and why smt is better than hyper threading ??

for how long years the 3600 will be powerful enough for 4k gaming ???

i am saying is it better to to buy 8 cores or to wait for zen 3 when it comes???

the 3700x is more futureproof from 3600x?? because 3700x has 8 cores..

i am saying the 6 cores for how long will last 3 years>?>? or less??

What cpu you buy is based on your budget and needs. If you are playing at 1440p and have a 2080 and are looking for a boost over your 4770K then a 3600 would fit the bill just fine. Is a 3600 as "future proof" as a 3800X? Maybe? We don't know. Above 1080p your gpu becomes the workhorse of your system for most games, there are some exceptions such as GTV.

What this boils down to is that the AMD 3600-3900X as well as Intel's 9600-9900KS are all going to work just fine as "gaming" cpu's. You've already got a good gpu, buy the best cpu that fits in your budget and you'll be fine for current 1440p gaming. There will be better CPU's out next year and the year after and the year after and so on. Buy what fit's your budget and needs today.

the 3700x is more futureproof from 3600x?? because 3700x has 8 cores..

i am saying the 6 cores for how long will last 3 years>?>? or less??

Sorry for typos this new forum format is really hard to use on a cell phone now.

Hyperthreading/smt is a feature that makes more effecient use of the core its self. Its best to read a detailed article to understand how. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/simultaneous-multithreading-definition,5762.html

Yes games see threads, think of thread as a worker. A worker thartis building a house. A single worker might be busy laying bricks and he myst finish his task before running electrical wire. Now if you had 2 workers then they could lay brick and do electrical wires at same time. Have 8 workers and you can have 2 laying brick one doing electrical 3 doing pipes etc...

Games like to task threads( workers) to do tasks in teams. This speeds up many things.

After reading about SMT/ht you will understand more.

As far as future proofing that could be a subjective question.

If your talking gaming and strictly gaming your GPU probably matters more because its either the most expensive item or the most underserving component.

I see people get really high end chips but get a cheap low end GPU and not like gaming performance. Then I see people get a really low end chip and a high end gpu and get really.low performance.

Future proofing is no longer a viable approach to computing strategy in builds. The market is innovating far too fast. Especially with AMD really blow torching Intel to step up thier game. Were not going to see 7 years of 14nm+++++ anymore. Now its going to be 7nm to 5nm to 3nm and so forth in short order.

In my opinion of future proofing, there is no such thing anymore.
Since any cpu is basically obsolete now in 1 year. Mainly due to huge leaps in process i.e. 14 to 12 to 10 to 7 to soon 5nm in such a short amount of time, its almost impossible to truly future proof. The days of a build lasting 5 real years is long gone especially in power usage scenarios.

The 3600 is around $159.00 right now. You get 12 threads (workers), and 32MB of l3 cache, far more than Intel offers. You can go and spend 400 on a 3900x for more threads and get a 1650 gpu or whatever or spend half as much and get a 5700xt or 2070 or whatever and have a far better gaming experience.

The gpu is the more furure proof purchase than the cpu considering games are drawing heavily on gpu power and video ram more than raw cpu clocks.

Last edited:
The new console CPU's will be slower than 3700X????? and 3600x and zen 3>> ?????

so if i will buy one 3600 or 3700 or zen 3 later will be more powerfull against new console CPU's ps5 and xbox??

Last edited:
do you believe that the new console CPU's will be slower than 3700X, or 4700x and etc??

also do you believe that the the intel 10th gen when it comes will be better from the 9 th generation 9900k and etc?>? or will be the same ??

also do you believe that the the intel 10th gen when it comes will be better from the 9 th generation 9900k and etc?>? or will be the same ??

Well every chip generation tends to be better. I do not see 10th gen being a better buy than 9th. They will cost more and are not significantly faster. As a gamer you shouldnt concern with power savings as that hinders games typically. So you should be more concerned with performance/monetary unit of your country.

As far as consoles, the new amd powered stuff is using a custom APU as far as I know and as long as your system can surpass the performance of the console you wil be more than prepared for any console to PC ports that come. Im seeing a large uptick in dedicated PC titles though so I wouldnt base my decisions on console market. If that is a huge concern just buy a console and enjoy that and let PC be PC and console be console.

Im just one opinion wait for more before deciding on what to buy.

so if i will buy one 3600 or 3700 or zen 3 later will be more powerfull against new console CPU's ps5 and xbox??

I just replaced my 3 year old 1600x overclocked to 4.0 with a 3700x for $289 at Best Buy last night. I tried some overclocking but from what little testing I saw not to mention all the articles out there telling me, you really don't benefit anything so I'm leaving it at stock clock's. I did set the voltage manually to 1.325 and now it runs about 50C while gaming as opposed to 55-58C.

As for improvements, it was significant. Fortnite is what I play most these days and with the 1600x I had most settings to low except for textures and draw distance and I was around 220-240. With the 3700x I got a bump up to around 240-260 fps but I was able to turn up several graphics settings (AA, shadows & and effects) and still keep 240 fps pretty steady so I was very pleased with that.

On Doom 2016 I'm pegged at 200 with max settings where I was bouncing between 185-200 with the 1600x.

So my 2¢ is that the 3700x is the best AMD gaming CPU. The 3800x is virtually identical but costs $50 more, the 3900x is barely any better but costs $100 more.

The 3600x is the best dollar for dollar at $200. As fast as the 3700x in some games and a only little slower in others but at $90 cheaper, that's hard to pass up. Only reason I did was they're not in stock anywhere and I like having the extra cores for the rare times I do stuff that can utilize them. Plus I really had the upgrade itch and didn't want to wait.

i am, saying the 8 and 6 cores will last for 3 and 4 years??

when do you believe that most games will need 8 cores??> and when you believe that 6 cores will not be enough for games/??

honest i am very confused i dont know what to do??

to buy 6 cores or to buy 8 cores??

i am saying when the 8 cores will be start to use in games?>? and how safe is to buy someone these days 6 cores??

honest i am very confused i dont know what to do??

to buy 6 cores or to buy 8 cores??

i am saying when the 8 cores will be start to use in games?>? and how safe is to buy someone these days 6 cores??

Then buy 8 cores and live happiky ever after. If you can afford it by all means go with 8. But lots of people cant afford but the minimum so we try to talk about the common sense approach. If you have the money then 8 cores is best. 12 + if your serious about [cpu] based productivity.

when do you believe that most games will need 8 cores??> and when you believe that 6 cores will not be enough for games/??

I just replaced my 3 year old 1600x overclocked to 4.0 with a 3700x for $289 at Best Buy last night. I tried some overclocking but from what little testing I saw not to mention all the articles out there telling me, you really don't benefit anything so I'm leaving it at stock clock's. I did set the voltage manually to 1.325 and now it runs about 50C while gaming as opposed to 55-58C.

As for improvements, it was significant. Fortnite is what I play most these days and with the 1600x I had most settings to low except for textures and draw distance and I was around 220-240. With the 3700x I got a bump up to around 240-260 fps but I was able to turn up several graphics settings (AA, shadows & and effects) and still keep 240 fps pretty steady so I was very pleased with that.

On Doom 2016 I'm pegged at 200 with max settings where I was bouncing between 185-200 with the 1600x.

So my 2¢ is that the 3700x is the best AMD gaming CPU. The 3800x is virtually identical but costs $50 more, the 3900x is barely any better but costs $100 more.

The 3600x is the best dollar for dollar at $200. As fast as the 3700x in some games and a only little slower in others but at $90 cheaper, that's hard to pass up. Only reason I did was they're not in stock anywhere and I like having the extra cores for the rare times I do stuff that can utilize them. Plus I really had the upgrade itch and didn't want to wait.

Your performance improvement wasnt due to more cores it was due to improved cores at 7nm and the added bonus of an absolutely massive level 3 cache of 30MB. That and there were some significant infinity bus improvements between gen 1 and 3.

I know you know this but that statement was a generalist comment to anyone reading this reply.

I’m sorry but with each answer people give the op keeps repeating the same question. We are being trolled people hahaha

I cant add anything else to the thread. At this point he just needs to decide 6 or 8.

Your performance improvement wasnt due to more cores it was due to improved cores at 7nm and the added bonus of an absolutely massive level 3 cache of 30MB. That and there were some significant infinity bus improvements between gen 1 and 3.

I know you know this but that statement was a generalist comment to anyone reading this reply.

What?

This was my opinion of the AMD "X" processors, how they compare in terms of gaming and value and why I think so. And I never once said my performance gain was due to more cores. I was simply stating my experience with my new 3700x as compared to my old 1600x. Seemed relevant to the OP's question to me.

What?

This was my opinion of the AMD "X" processors, how they compare in terms of gaming and value and why I think so. And I never once said my performance gain was due to more cores. I was simply stating my experience with my new 3700x as compared to my old 1600x. Seemed relevant to the OP's question to me.

I knew for a fact you wasn'/t going to completely read and immediately cease reading and post a response. Its what people do when they become defensive.

I am just tired of trying to manipulate edits through cell phone on this site. This new interface is so hard to use mobile on Firefox.

I said "I know you know this but that statement was a generalist comment to anyone reading this reply. "

My point of view for the OP and anyone reading this reply was to consider that almost all of the time the performance increase from older processors to newer processors was never due to core increases rather it was due to architecture improvements. Do you know how many people actually believe that more cores mean more speed similar to how stickers on a honda give it more horsepower. It was a generalist comment NOT towards you. I cant emphasize this any harder.

There was a time in recent memory I was in Microcenter in North GA here. I heard a dude telling the sales rep with absolutely confidence that by buying a 12 core AMD Ryzen it was two times as fast a six core ryzen. I had to eavesdrop on that one. He said the 12 core gets double the frame rate, double the performance in windows, and is two times faster at booting than the 6 core.

I literally laughed out loud after hearing that.

Last edited:
today came out the specs for xbox x
CPU Eight Custom Zen 2 CPU cores at 3.8GHz (no SMT) or 3.66GHz (with SMT

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/mi...azy_powerful_xbox_series_x_s_specifications/1

so the cpu from xbox x will be the same with the 3700 and 3800x??

i am saying the xbox x has very powerfull cpu..
Xbox Series X Hardware SpecificationsCPUEight Custom Zen 2 CPU cores at 3.8GHz (no SMT) or 3.66GHz (with SMT

)GPUCustom Radeon RDNA 2 Graphics Card with 12 TFLOPS of compute performance over 52 CUs at 1825MHz clock speedsDie Size360.45mm squaredProcess7nm

EnhancedMemory16GB of GDDR6 memory over a 320-bit memory busMemory Bandwidth10GB @ 560 GB/s + 6GB at 336GB/sInternal Storage1 TB

Custom NVMe SSDI/O Throughput2.4GB/s (RAW), 4.8GB/s (Compressed, with custom Hardware decompression block)

Expandable Storage1 TB Expansion Card (Identical to Internal Storage)External StorageUSB 3.2 External HDD

SupportOptical Drive4K UHD Blu-Ray DrivePerformance Target4K at 60 FPS, up to 4K at 120 FPS

today came out the specs for xbox x
CPU Eight Custom Zen 2 CPU cores at 3.8GHz (no SMT) or 3.66GHz (with SMT

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/mi...azy_powerful_xbox_series_x_s_specifications/1

so the cpu from xbox x will be the same with the 3700 and 3800x??

i am saying the xbox x has very powerfull cpu..
Xbox Series X Hardware SpecificationsCPUEight Custom Zen 2 CPU cores at 3.8GHz (no SMT) or 3.66GHz (with SMT

)GPUCustom Radeon RDNA 2 Graphics Card with 12 TFLOPS of compute performance over 52 CUs at 1825MHz clock speedsDie Size360.45mm squaredProcess7nm

EnhancedMemory16GB of GDDR6 memory over a 320-bit memory busMemory Bandwidth10GB @ 560 GB/s + 6GB at 336GB/sInternal Storage1 TB

Custom NVMe SSDI/O Throughput2.4GB/s (RAW), 4.8GB/s (Compressed, with custom Hardware decompression block)

Expandable Storage1 TB Expansion Card (Identical to Internal Storage)External StorageUSB 3.2 External HDD

SupportOptical Drive4K UHD Blu-Ray DrivePerformance Target4K at 60 FPS, up to 4K at 120 FPS

Buy the xbox then

game development and existing game engine optimization will be based on console hardware heavily starting at the end of this year. Consoles are basically going to have a Ryzen 8 core, 16 thread, current gen 3.5Ghz (PS5) to 3.8Ghz processor (Xbox Series X)

If you pick a 3700x you'll be set for about 5 years at least because you'll match console platform specs. Anything above that is gravy.

9900K is also perfectly fine. Heck I'm wouldn't be worried about it back to pretty much any 8 core/16 thread chip out there withing the last 5 years. Say all the way back to Intel's Haswell I7 5960x, or even Ryzen 1700x will still be perfectly fine IMO. But you probably will want 8 core / 16 thread when the new consoles are fully released and game engines upgraded to take advantage of the new baseline.

i am thinking to wait for zen 3 ,, is better to wait.. i believe zen3 will be better from zen 2.

im fucking with you. dont get trapped in the waiting game. buy now it you want something now. if you wait for the next best thing to come out then there will be another new best thing right around the corner.

Zen1 1000 series
Zen+ 2000 series improved zen 1
Zen2 3000 series
Zen 2+ 4000 improved series 3000 (not released)
Zen 3 will be another heavily modifyed or brand new architecture if enough has changed possibly 5nm

Instead of trolling im trying to help.

Last edited:
Back