3600mhz ram only overclocks to 3700mhz

Nebell

2[H]4U
So I have Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz ddr4 white (https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categ...-C18-Memory-Kit-—-White/p/CMR16GX4M2C3600C18W)

It sometimes boots at 3800mhz and seems stable but it sometimes doesn't want to boot and the mobo asks me to load previous config.
I have MSI MPG z390 Gaming Edge and 9900k oced to 5ghz on all cores.
The ram is set to CL18, but even if I increase it to CL20 and up the oc to 3800mhz or even 4000mhz, it won't budge.
I tried upping the voltage to 1.45v but it didn't help either. I tried to use "Try it!" option in the motherboard which apparently has predetermined options for ram overclocking, but that fails as well.

Is it because I have all 4 slots on the motherboard taken? My setup is 4x8gb.
I'd like to try and get this to 4000mhz. Is it even possible?

It might be binned only as high as it says. Corsair sells a lot of different speeds of RAM, and they do this by testing each stick and only listing it for as high as it will go. You're probably stuck. It's just not a very good binning probably, and its max is 3600 MHz.

Even if you could get it higher, it might result in RAM errors and file corruption. Be careful.

Alright, thanks. Might as well leave it at 3700mhz and upgrade to ddr5 when it comes out.

Most memory chip will not do much more then what they are rated for. Sure there are b-dies but you will be paying a premium for that you could otherwise just buy the higher rated ram. You could pump in more voltage but you will like burn out the memory controller on your CPU with anything over 1.45v. honestly over 3600mhz you are reaching the point of diminishing returns. At 3600mhz populating all slots shouldn't effect it much. With higher speed memory it could.

Play with your Ring ratio.
See if that improves stability.
I don't see much value in ram overclocking on Intel, besides a learning experience.
9900k should have more in it provided you run an open loop or can keep it stupid cold.
Corsair ram isn't as bad as Ryzen owners make it out to be.

I was running 3200 cl16 at xmp out of the gate on b450 with 1700x and 2600.

It's those early x370/b350 pre 1903 build guys that spread this constant whatever as if all platforms are constrained at a constant. I think agesa had some serious issues before.

OP doesn't need to be concerned with that.

So I have Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz ddr4 white (https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE®-RGB-16GB-(2-x-8GB)-DDR4-DRAM-3600MHz-C18-Memory-Kit-—-White/p/CMR16GX4M2C3600C18W)

It sometimes boots at 3800mhz and seems stable but it sometimes doesn't want to boot and the mobo asks me to load previous config.
I have MSI MPG z390 Gaming Edge and 9900k oced to 5ghz on all cores.
The ram is set to CL18, but even if I increase it to CL20 and up the oc to 3800mhz or even 4000mhz, it won't budge.
I tried upping the voltage to 1.45v but it didn't help either. I tried to use "Try it!" option in the motherboard which apparently has predetermined options for ram overclocking, but that fails as well.

Is it because I have all 4 slots on the motherboard taken? My setup is 4x8gb.
I'd like to try and get this to 4000mhz. Is it even possible?

Outside of special cases, like Samsung B-Die, you won't find a whole lot more overclocking headroom over what the modules are rated for. Yes, going with four modules does impact you negatively as you increase your chances of getting one module that doesn't clock as high as the others. It's also somewhat harder on the memory controller. The motherboard's memory trace layout potentially comes into play there as well.

I also kinda dissapointed with Corsair nowadays, they seem to go towards compatibility instead of overclocking, which can be seen on the loose timing they had on their XMP.
Not a lot of their B die can be highly overclocked.
I turn to Gskill now as they seem to have more higher overclocking headroom. Last time I bought a B die chip, Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz and a Gskill Ripjaws V 3000Mhz, the Vengeance Pro Maxed out at 3466Mhz and Ripjaws maxed out at 3600Mhz with the same timing and voltage.

Btw Nebell , if you have Bdie, have you tried upping the voltage @1.5v ?
I believe if you have bdie it is still save to run it daily @1.5v. Its because now there are gskill set that have XMP @1.5v which make me assumed 1.5v is safe for daily.

And base on my experience, 4 stick of ram put more stress on your CPU and chipset compared to 2 stick of RAM.
I have to upped my chipset and cpu voltage when using 4 stick of ram (4x8GB), otherwise it is not stable. I can lower my CPU and chipset voltage when I use 2x16GB with the exact setting, that mean 4 stick of ram put more stress on your system.
Single and dual rank ram also a consideration. Single rank tend to easier to overclock, but dual rank seems to have higher bandwith if compared with single rank on the same setting.
And also not all Corsair have the same chipset use in their ram, you can see in their label noting something like "rev x.xx". If you're using different revision of Corsair RAM, overclocking them will be quite a challenge.

No idea how to look for b-die, never even heard of it. But I think 3700mhz is more than enough.

Try to use Taiphoon burner application just for curiosity type of chip you had in your ram.
Its a free application, just google it.

Some ram chip have characteristic not responding well to voltage increase, would be nice to confirm it by knowing what chip inside it.

3700Mhz is quite high if you are on AMD platform in 1:1 with FCLK, but since you're on Intel Platform I think >4000 is doable.

Back