3600 and -.1v offset - to reduce heat. Are you still using it?

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
Has AMD fixed this yet in BIOS updates, or are people still offsetting .1v/.05v to lower temps on the 3600?

No, it is still the same. But I do not think it is a bug. To my understanding it is normal behaviour with 3600, it is a poor low binned CPU that requires more voltage than better pinned CPU's just to be 100% stable. Undervolting comes with a measurable performance penalty.

That said, I also use -.05v undervolt because the penalty is almost nonexistent in real life use but the temperature reduction is quite big.

No, it is still the same. But I do not think it is a bug. To my understanding it is normal behaviour with 3600, it is a poor low binned CPU that requires more voltage than better pinned CPU's just to be 100% stable. Undervolting comes with a measurable performance penalty.

That said, I also use -.05v undervolt because the penalty is almost nonexistent in real life use but the temperature reduction is quite big.
After reading more on this and testing it myself (turning off PBO and looking at temps vs performance, I've decided that leaving everything stock in the BIOS - and keeping the CPU as cool as possible - is going to give the best performance to heat ratio. These CPUs are not like the old school. Reporting software doesn't seem to tell the whole story when we start messing with voltages. However, Cine 20 will. I turned off PBO, got 2C better temps, and in Cine, dropped performance - not much, but noticeable.

So, I was never going to OC this rig anyway. It doesn't need to be any faster, although cooler is always good, less noise, for one.

I used an aio on my old 3600 so never had heat issues really. Dont own a 3600 anymore but miss it. Was a SUPER nice cpu.

Try the new chipset drivers (3/19/20)? Some have reported lower temps. Might be a tweaked AMD Power plan in there.

Try the new chipset drivers (3/19/20)? Some have reported lower temps. Might be a tweaked AMD Power plan in there.

I think it is tweaked by amd. I heard comparable to the 1summus or whatever dudes name was

I think it is tweaked by amd. I heard comparable to the 1summus or whatever dudes name was

Yeah that's what I meant. I thought I remember seeing a new power plan as part of the chipset driver update.

Nice catch. Going to install that right now. Hopefully it will be fap worthy.

I loaded them today. I want to make sure they took. I checked the GPIO driver and it's dated 04/02/2020, but what about the rest? Where do I check those?

Edit: Well, my system power settings defaulted to the AMD plan, which was running the Windows 10 plan before installing, so I guess it installed that aspect of itself. In both the "new" power plans, high performance and balanced, the minimum CPU state is 100% and 99%. What? This is a strange architecture. Maybe singularity is already here, and AMD has lost control of their CPU working dynamics?

CPU gonna do what it wants to do!

Seriously, the problem with monitoring software seems evident. I'm using HWiNFO and it shows my CPU is pegged at abut 3900 average all teh time, when windows task manager shows 1-6% usage, and temps are high, to me, for streaming mp3 music and typing in my web browser. (36-42C at nearly idle.)

Last edited:
36-40c is a fine idle temp

these processors are using a fair bit of power concentrated in a tiny area.

I'm pegged @ 4150-4200 and load at 65-70c.

I've gotten my 3600 down to 1.1v at 4.2 all core hitting something silly like 57c fully loaded in c r20 mutli. I think it was hitting 66 watts or so at peak. There is SO much room to play with these chips that's it's actually pretty fun to be overclocking/undervolting again. Ramping up to 4.5 all core needs an absurd increase in power, up to like 1.375 for me, up to around 81c. For gaming, I'm happier with my fans not even spinning up at 1.1v so 4.2 will prolly be my 24/7 unless i'm benching. Can't wait to see what the 4 series can do. . .

Back