360: Which movies are HD streams from Netflix?

KillRoy X

Gawd
So just got the new experience. Awesome. Starting to watch movies. Watched John Carpenters "The Thing" in HD. Awesome.

But now I can't find what other movies are presented in HD. I can't find any. I heard there are 300. Anyone know of the list??

Updated: Wanted to add this link that was added below. If anyone sees new HD movie on the Instant Watch, you can post to this website:

http://www.isitinhd.com/

look under the watch instantly tab and then genre tab and go down to HD all those would be in HD..

Ahh, thanks for the heads up man! That's helps.

One thing though, I don't think this is 100% updated, because for some reason "The Thing" is not on the HD instant list, but it is an HD stream...and a pretty good one!

I'll keep looking.

They are still streaming in all the details to the website for the HD content. There are about 400 of them. I had a movie in my queue that wasn't listed as an HD movie, but when it started it's Netflix buffer on my 360, it said "presented in HD".

Netflix is still doing backend work.

There is also a genre called "HD" on the Netflix Watch Instantly section that has a lot in it, but am finding that there is a LOT that doesn't show up in that que that is presented in HD.

My wife and I started watching The Office Season 3 in HD and each episode fired up in like 10-15 seconds and the video quality was awesome. Looked just like the HD tv broadcast but without commercials! FTW !!!

That's good news! If anyone wants to post what other movies are showing in HD you should post it here!

I'll start doing that tonight

That's good news! If anyone wants to post what other movies are showing in HD you should post it here!

I'll start doing that tonight

Here's some I've found:
King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters
Flawless
Pan's Labyrinth
Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind
The Office Season 3

I set up netflix and watched fistful of quarters on my lunch break... this netflix thing is awesome.

Got 30 rock and Weeds queued up, gonna watch those this weekend >D

HD streaming is pretty awesome. I thought it would take a long time to buffer in the beginning but it only took but 5 seconds to start watching The Office. I'm amazed.

Last question, since it's easier to pick your brains. :)

Can users with ample harddrive space SAVE a movie/show instead of streaming it? For instance, if I wanted to download a couple HD episodes of The Office, then bring my Xbox to my girlfriend's house to watch them.

Can users with ample harddrive space SAVE a movie/show instead of streaming it? For instance, if I wanted to download a couple HD episodes of The Office, then bring my Xbox to my girlfriend's house to watch them.

I don't remember seeing that option :X Sorry.

It's actually a moot question, I forgot that I have a wireless adapter so I can hook up my Xbox at her place and stream video there as well. Nevermind. ;)

That option will never be available unless Netflix starts cutting deals to sell individual downloads. Not saving content is one of the selling points that Netflix offers to the studios in order to get their content online. Besides, it would cannibalize the Xbox Live Marketplace (and the ITunes store, and other places that sell individual episodes) where you can buy episodes of The Office to do exactly as you describe.

If you've got that much Office love, I'd strongly recommend buying the physical discs. Portability, after all, is their primary selling point at this stage.

I don't remember seeing that option :X Sorry.

I would just like to add that as always you can download television shows from the regular Xbox Live Marketplace, though you're talking 2 bucks a show. Maybe more if the television show is in HD (I can't remember). Also, I don't know if the example you used (The Office) is available in the Marketplace. Either way, television episodes, from the Live Marketplace, are saved onto your hard drive, and you can watch them as many times as you'd like.

Also, I don't know if the example you used (The Office) is available in the Marketplace.
The Office is indeed available in the XBL Marketplace, and in HD if you want it. Plus, if you buy a show in HD from the Marketplace, it will be available for download indefinitely even if you delete it from your hard drive. As a [small] bonus, when you buy a show's HD version, you can download the 480p version anytime as well.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a show from the Marketplace that's available on the Netflix service, but I suppose that could change if for some bizarre reason my fat pipe got too thin to stream HD, or if I had a burning desire to take the Xbox 360 "on the road." :)

Does anyone know if Netflix plans on adding any new HD quality movies soon? I was watching Aliens which looked ok in SD, but this would be great in HD.

Haven't read much about it. Guess starting with 300 movies ain't bad.

No version of the Aliens film's have been made yet (HDDVD/BLURAY) unfortunately.

Fox will, I'm sure make a Bluray set sometime in the near furure and I will be one of the first in line to purchase. One of my all time favorite movie series.

Netflix has stated that will be implementing multi-channel audio in the future.

Yup, I remember there was an article/news posting, earlier this week... or maybe it was the week before, though it might have been said before that even. Either way, the HD streams are new, so I expect things to be tweaked and improved over time.

So if you don't mind me asking, all that i would have to do is sign up to their service and then i can watch as many movies i want? Or is there a limit on the amount you can download in a month? Also do you have to buy a certain package of theirs? Or will any package do?

The package I have is 1 DVD out at a time unlimited. This gives me unlimited instant movies as well. This is the cheapest package at 8.99 that offeres unlimed instant streaming.

The package I have is 1 DVD out at a time unlimited. This gives me unlimited instant movies as well. This is the cheapest package at 8.99 that offeres unlimed instant streaming.

So basically this is all that i would have to do then i would have access to their entire movie collection?

So basically this is all that i would have to do then i would have access to their entire movie collection?

Well, you have access to 1 DVD out at a time, which includes all their movies in the database. The instantly watch movies/tv shows are from a selection of 12,000 movies. They don't always have the newest movies available.

So if you don't mind me asking, all that i would have to do is sign up to their service and then i can watch as many movies i want? Or is there a limit on the amount you can download in a month? Also do you have to buy a certain package of theirs? Or will any package do?

NetFlix has like 4 or 5 different packages, and the cheapest one would be the one to avoid. It's 1 DVD at a time and only 2 hours of streaming at a time (I don't know if it is 2 hours a week, or what. They didn't say on the pricing table I saw). Anyway, like the others have said, the cheapest plan, which offers unlimited streams, is like 8.99 bucks a month. Along with the streaming you get one DVD rental at a time. Although, like "The Hedon" pointed out, not every movie is available for streaming. In fact, most new movies aren't available yet. A majority of the streams are either old movies, foreign and independent films, along with documentaries. There are also, television shows.

On top of the NetFlix subscription you also have to be an Xbox Live Gold member.

NetFlix has like 4 or 5 different packages, and the cheapest one would be the one to avoid. It's 1 DVD at a time and only 2 hours of streaming at a time (I don't know if it is 2 hours a week, or what. They didn't say on the pricing table I saw). Anyway, like the others have said, the cheapest plan, which offers unlimited streams, is like 8.99 bucks a month. Along with the streaming you get one DVD rental at a time. Although, like "The Hedon" pointed out, not every movie is available for streaming. In fact, most new movies aren't available yet. A majority of the streams are either old movies, foreign and independent films, along with documentaries. There are also, television shows.

On top of the NetFlix subscription you also have to be an Xbox Live Gold member.

Sounds good guys thanks for the info!:cool:

They need more titkes and fast but this netflix xbox thing does kick ass!!!!!! Great thread Killroy X

They need more titkes and fast but this netflix xbox thing does kick ass!!!!!! Great thread Killroy X

Yeah, this Netflix streaming is alot better than I imagined. I've watched 10 movies already and not one hiccup. All the movies I've watched are the HD quality. I do find that the SD quality is a little less than DVD, but that's ok.

I also can't wait to see what they do with the addition of 5.1 surround.

I have not had one problem, love this feature.

Now for a quick rant....I can stream to my Xbox fine but I get a DRM error on my PC and am unable to stream. Looked all over and there are a hundred suppose fixes that dont work, Netflix does not know how to fix it and they suggest I reinstall the OS. OR I could just go to a underground site and watch for free, this is why people pirate right here!!!

Free = working movies
Pay site = dosent work

:mad:

/Rant

I have not had one problem, love this feature.

Now for a quick rant....I can stream to my Xbox fine but I get a DRM error on my PC and am unable to stream. Looked all over and there are a hundred suppose fixes that dont work, Netflix does not know how to fix it and they suggest I reinstall the OS. OR I could just go to a underground site and watch for free, this is why people pirate right here!!!

Free = working movies
Pay site = dosent work

:mad:

/Rant

What is your PC setup? OS, browser version, video card and monitor?

While I could gripe about the selection of streaming movies, there are a TON of movies that I've passed up that I really want to see (L.A. Confidential, Dog Day Afternoon, etc.). This will give me an opportunity to watch these while I wait for more DVDs! :cool:

I'm trying it just for the stream bit. Not gonna hassle with that DVD shit. Signed up for the cheapest service, and I've seen two really good movies so far: Primer and The Orphanage. Both I'd recommend, although The Orphanage is subtitled but it's from the director of Pan's Labyrinth.

I wouldn't have seen either of these two movies otherwise, and I'm glad at least I'm doing the free trial. In the future, I could really see myself just using Netflix for my TV needs and avoiding cable altogether.

Back