360 + Vista + Divx can it be done?

the lone gunman

Limp Gawd
Ok 1st off im am not a console gamer, i am a PC fanboy (even though we are getting shafted these days, but never mind thats a different thread):D

What i want to know is, can the 360 stream Divx files from my Vista based media center PC, down stairs to my TV via the network?

Now i know there was an issue with this about 12 months ago, but has there been some kind of Dashboard update to support Divx or will i stll have to do some long winded configurations with 3rd party software?

The reason i ask is because i am able to acquire a 360 for a very small price and i think it would be a good alternative to actualy building a second HTPC for down stairs.

if there is to much fucking about to try and get the 360 to stream divx and AVI's ect... then just say so.

Im sure this Q has been posted a few times but i dont frequent this section of the forum that often, so thats why im posting.

so any info you guys can give me will be much appreciated:D

I've tried to stream a movie before. Starts to buffer as if it's about to start the movie, and then just freezes up. It's almost as if the wireless connection can't handle the bandwidth. Never bothered to research more into this topic so it would be interesting to see what you can find out.

Well i will be using a wired network, so any thoughts on this?

BTW i just noticed that this thread is posted twice in the same section, sorry about that, it was not intentional. it took me a while to wright the thread and i guess the system loged me out becuse i had to sign in again, and after i did i just saw a duplicate post?:confused:

any chance a mod can remove the other post to stop confusion:)

I just convert my video files to wmv for streaming and have zero problems. Yeah there are on the fly programs, but, for example: I just converted all 150 episodes of classic twilight zone from avi to wmv and it took like an hour, and now they stream just fine natively in the xbox media center without any workarounds or hax or anything.

I just convert my video files to wmv for streaming and have zero problems. Yeah there are on the fly programs, but, for example: I just converted all 150 episodes of classic twilight zone from avi to wmv and it took like an hour, and now they stream just fine natively in the xbox media center without any workarounds or hax or anything.

Ok i have TB's of data in Divx format and im not about to start converting my stuff to WMV, as that format is, well not that great =] (for me anyway)

next?

It can as far as I know. If you put them on a flash drive, they will work.

The question here is, can you get .avi into WMP11's library? If so, it will share them with the Xbox and work just fine.

And WMC is the worst DVR in the world. MS should be embarrased. DIVX will most certainly not play in WMC on your Xbox so do not even try. But streaming them with WMP11 to the dashboard player should work just fine.

I run TVersity on my PC.. TVersity encodes and streams any media file to work with the 360.. no matter what seasons, or movies I accquire Tversity streams it over my network, and it works like a charm.

It can as far as I know. If you put them on a flash drive, they will work.

The question here is, can you get .avi into WMP11's library? If so, it will share them with the Xbox and work just fine.

And WMC is the worst DVR in the world. MS should be embarrased. DIVX will most certainly not play in WMC on your Xbox so do not even try. But streaming them with WMP11 to the dashboard player should work just fine.

Well this is one of my problems because i never use WMP11 simply because its crap. i use progs like KMplayer and VLC ect...

to be honest i have had this copy of Vista installed for a good 6 months and i dont think i have even gone through the WMP11 initial setup, simply because i just dont use it. so with regards to librarys ect.. well they are not in WMP11. all i have is a media center PC with an 80gb OS drive and a 500gb drive for current media.

Um well Xbox 360 supports Divx playback and has for awhile, if the files don't work use TVersity to transcode on the fly.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/xbox-360...-tested-verdict-its-almost-perfect-329769.php

Though you have to access the videos through the dash under videos instead of launching the WMC software on the 360.

Yup, you can stream Divx files on your 360, but for whatever reason, you can't use the WMC software on the 360, and have to just go to the Videos section, on the media blade, on the Xbox. It's easy to do, and all you have to do is setup WMP11 to share content with your Xbox.

Also, from what I understand, earlier Divx videos won't play. I think the videos have to have been encoded with v. 5 or later, in order to play on the Xbox.

Yup, you can stream Divx files on your 360, but for whatever reason, you can't use the WMC software on the 360, and have to just go to the Videos section, on the media blade, on the Xbox. It's easy to do, and all you have to do is setup WMP11 to share content with your Xbox.

Also, from what I understand, earlier Divx videos won't play. I think the videos have to have been encoded with v. 5 or later, in order to play on the Xbox.

noted;)

i tried transcode 360 and tversity, they are both hard to deal with, tversity is just a resource hog and a half, it was awful unless you just have google loads of unused hard drive space (i rarely have over 20 gigs free), transcode 360 never really worked (could be because i am running 64 bit Vista)

this is with a fully updated 360 wired into my network with my pc in my sig

there are certain format xvid files that will stream directly to the 360, dont ask me how they are any different, i have no clue, i dont care why, they just work

this is how we watch all our movies, i get the movie xvid file onto the hard drive on the PC, then simply browse to my video folder through the dashboard on the 360, and you get approximately DVD quality video on the HDTV without needing to install any third party apps like tversity and transcode 360

ok getting late here in the UK and i need to make dinner:D

thanks for all the replyes. Looks like i will pick up my bargain 360 afterall!, as it doesnt seam like to much trouble to get my shit streaming from my media center PC.

to sum up i DO think that MS should 100% support a video format that most encoders/ converters use on a day to day basis. i have not read ALL of the info you guys have given me, but so far it looks promising =]

you dont need to use WMP or have it open, you just need to load the files into the library and enable sharing

i tried transcode 360 and tversity, they are both hard to deal with, tversity is just a resource hog and a half, it was awful unless you just have google loads of unused hard drive space (i rarely have over 20 gigs free), transcode 360 never really worked (could be because i am running 64 bit Vista)

this is with a fully updated 360 wired into my network with my pc in my sig

there are certain format xvid files that will stream directly to the 360, dont ask me how they are any different, i have no clue, i dont care why, they just work

this is how we watch all our movies, i get the movie xvid file onto the hard drive on the PC, then simply browse to my video folder through the dashboard on the 360, and you get approximately DVD quality video on the HDTV without needing to install any third party apps like tversity and transcode 360

ok im going to bump this thread tomorrow as i need to go ofline now, the reason is, the above quote, and would like more info on the subject.

For whatever its worth my 360 can stream and play 720p xvid over 802.11g with no problems(5000kbps bitrate)

I posted this in another thread I hope it helps. You will need to use WMP11 but it isn't a big pain in the behind.

You can stream your movies to the 360 without going through the Media Center Extender. Here is what you need to do:
  • Set up Windows Media Player 11 and point it to your Video and Music folders.
  • Tell WMP11 to share your files
  • Turn on your 360 and then go back to the computer. There should be a message telling you that your computer found a new device and asking if it should allow sharing with the device.
  • Go to the Media Blade on your 360. Select Video and then hit "Y" on your controller to change video source. Your computer should show up there.
  • Now you can browse your files on your computer through the Video blade. You will not use the Media Center Extender.
This also works for music as well.

I posted this in another thread I hope it helps. You will need to use WMP11 but it isn't a big pain in the behind.

yeah, i dont even use the WMC, everything that works through it works in the dashboard menu and more. Not sure why they don't make it universal, I like the WMC interface, too bad it is only partially functional.

Thanks for all the replys, i think my question is well and truly answerd:)

think i will be buying a 360 now and you never know i may even buy a game for it!

cheers guys

what software are you using to convert to wmv???

Ive been using tversity since i got my 360 back in xmas of 06, so for like a year and a half. It works great, anything and everything will play using it. My desktop pc is now know more than a file server basically so ive never really noticed it hogging up resources since im not on it at the same time im using t he 360.

BTW tversity can be used to stream to other stuff as well, iphones, psp, wii, etc

Back