360 repair gurus

demografik

[H]ard|Gawd
i've fixed a few 360's with the x-clamp replacement method. i did 2 today and on both of them the RRoD went away. they appear to be functioning normally but there's no video or audio. if i put in a ruined (scratched) game, it will go to the same "please put this game in an xbox 360" screen it goes to on a fully functioning xbox. it will also play DVD's just fine.

halp?

My guess is the problem is occurring when the GPU gets activated to do some 3d work.

For shits and grins, take out all memory storage devices. I don't think that the old dashboard was accelerated.

that's kind of what i was thinking. do you think i crushed the gpu? i was pretty gentle and i never had problems with exposed core cpu's so it seems like that happening twice in a row is a bit far fetched.

what do you mean by take out all memory storage devices?

As long as it's not a unit with built in storage, take out the memory cards/hdd.

oh, they don't have any of those plugged in. i'm pretty sure i crushed the gpu :\

if it plays dvds I doubt you crushed the gpu... usually that sucker is tied into the entire video architecture.. I know that xp and vista utilize your gpu to play dvds if you have one on a PC

Though I don't have any suggestions except to open it back up and poke around...

that's what i thought too but i've taken both of them apart a dozen times and done everything i can think of.

Ok, well there goes one possible solution. Sometimes people modding the drive can mess up the firmware on it, which ironically still lets you read DVD movies, just not official xbox games.

Last edited:
They should have just sent it back to be fixed for free.

Theres a 3 year warranty of RROD consoles.

Only if you have 3 RRODs. Not 2, 1, or 4.

Of course there is a method to cause your system to have 3 RRODs, but I'm not sure if that's fair game to speak of here...

Ok, well there goes one possible solution. Sometimes people modding the drive can mess up the firmware on it, which ironically still lets you read DVD movies, just not official xbox games.

and once you've gotten to this point and are getting the "put this disc in a 360" message you can use a multimeter to increase the power of the DVD pickup in the drive to read them again, worked fine on mine, i was getting the dirty disc errors and those and i cranked up the power of the DVD laser a little by lowering the resistance of the potentiometer on the DVD pickup and it now plays all discs again

videos of my 360 btw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOJqqgGsybs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2on_gXziJk

i have a wiring schematic of the hard drive led activity mod if anyone wants it, let me know

Did you buy this off ebay and try to repair it?

Sounds like someone bricked the dvd drive while trying to flash the firmware, or it could just be a dodgy dvd drive i doubt this problem has anything to do with you using xclamps.

Did you buy this off ebay and try to repair it?

Sounds like someone bricked the dvd drive while trying to flash the firmware, or it could just be a dodgy dvd drive i doubt this problem has anything to do with you using xclamps.

shouldn't the console boot to the main menu just fine even with a bricked dvd drive?

i havent been into the details in a while, but i think no, i think if you brick the drive the 360 pretty much refuses to do much at all because verifying the drive is part of the boot process

FYI, for anyone intending to x-clamp mod:

i've repaired upwards of 100 xboxes now. after some more experience repairing them, i'm pretty certain i crushed the secondary gpu. as the gpu heatsink covers 2 chips, if you don't get it seated perfectly it will damage the smaller one. i've gotten a few that someone attempted to fix that were in the same condition, each time the gpu heatsink was seated poorly and tightened down way too much. be EXTREMELY careful mounting the heatsinks and don't tighten them down much at all. once it starts to give you resistance, stop tightening.

Back