360: HD On PC Monitor?

xth-o-dth

n00b
Recently hooked-up my other 360 to my main PC gaming rig's monitor so my wife and I could system link on some games we play on 360.

I bought the "VGA HD AV Cable" , but it's definitely not quite looking like HD.

It's plugs into the analog input on the monitor, but is supposedly still "HD", though that does not make sense to me.

Is it the fact that it's coming out of the analog (i.e. not an HDMI cable such as with our TV) output on the 360? Or because it's plugged into the analog on my monitor? Both?

Supposedly, this is all you need for an HD connection from the 360 to the monitor (hence the purpose of the cable), but that cannot be right.

Should I snag an adapter to fit on the analog monitor-end connection, and plug it into my monitors HD input? Would that make a difference?

Does look good, but definitely not as "HD" as it should be.

Thanks in advance.

What kind of monitor is it? like... what resolution... I've always found the adapter to be decent enough quality... however for the best quality just get a hdmi to dvi cord.... should give you the best results. . . me and my friends do it every weekend for our little mini 8 man lan parties so it works.

You need to set your desired resolution in the console settings. You might also need to flip the switch on the rear dongle to "hd" if it's still used with the VGA cable.

Set your resolution in Console Settings. The 360 looks great on VGA, very close to the quality of the HDMI port.

used one on my samsung syncmaster lcd and it looked good with the vga adapter.

Not sure what you mean by not hd as it should be, but remember if you are going from a tv that you sit 8-10ft from to a monitor where you are 2-3 ft from, you are going to see imperections a little easier...

I hear it should look great, even on a CRT. I use a VGA cable on my HD Plasma for my 360. Like the others said, you probably need to change your resolution.

By default it starts at a pretty low resolution. that way when you plug it in, it will still show up on a low resolution monitor.
If you want "HD" you need to select a resolution like 1280x720 (720p) or 1920x1080 (1080p) if your monitor will support it.
If your monitor is 16:10 or 4:3, you'll obviously want to choose their respective resolutions instead. Depending on the game (and your monitor settings), those will either be letterboxed or stretched.

I play my 360 on my monitor. Like most of the others, mine also looks very good using the VGA cable. However, like everyone has mentioned already, you do need to go into your settings and change your resolution. I think it defaults to 800x600 or something (so like you said "almost" hd).

Set the 360 to the native res of your monitor or the next one under it if your monitor res is not listed. anything outside of the monitor's native res is going to get scaled and scaling lower res to native res usually looks like butt cheek

Back