360 Camera to compete against Sonys EyeToy and Rev contoller ?

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
Will the Xbox 360 cam compete with Revolution and EyeToy?
Posted in Xbox 360, Hardware, Rumors by Curry on March 1st, 2006 at 16:18

A German blogger by the name of Erzengel360 has been doing some extensive research on the Xbox 360’s upcoming camera, and found things that may possibly point towards hidden features enabling it to compete with the Sony EyeToy and the upcoming Nintendo Revolution controller.

The main thing he found is patent 7,003,427, filed on behalf of Microsoft by the name of “Relative range camera calibration” on August 25th 2004, with a later update one week ago on February 21st 2006. To summarize, this patent describes a technique employing two cameras to analyze a three-dimensional scene to subsequently be able to determine object movement and their relative paths in time and space. See image below for illustration:

mscamera.jpg

Microsoft camera calibration patent

The patent does not explicitly state anywhere that it would apply to gaming, but in several locations it does mention possible connectivity to game pads and joysticks, and the examples are pretty obviously focused on tracking human activity inside a living room. Erzengel360 consequently went on to research possible applications, and found the website Swissranger, which has some example videos of comparable techniques at work.

He then went on to bluntly ask Microsoft what they were planning to do with this technology. In a variation on the regular “Microsoft does not comment on rumors or speculation” they actually told him the specs of Project “Vision” will become clear at a later time. What this implies is anyone’s guess.

So is the Xbox 360 Camera going to be capable of tracking movement inside your living room, thus competing with Nintendo’s motion-sensitive Revolution controller and Sony’s EyeToy? Only time will tell whether Microsoft has intended this patent to be used in Xbox 360 technology or not. Until then this is quite a believable rumor but nothing certain.

(Original article posted on http://www.xboxic.com/news/312 )

It'd be more akin to the Eyetoy, the Revolution's controller is an actual 3D movement/controller interface. Whereas visual motion tracking is more like the EyeToy's system. I think I remember them mentioning at last year's E3 that their webcam would have similar features as the eyetoy anyway.

Anyone seen that movie with the Milo kid working for that Synapse company?

Microsoft is planning world domination. They're spying on you. :(

Fo' serious this time.

steviep said:
It'd be more akin to the Eyetoy, the Revolution's controller is an actual 3D movement/controller interface. Whereas visual motion tracking is more like the EyeToy's system. I think I remember them mentioning at last year's E3 that their webcam would have similar features as the eyetoy anyway.

I tend to agree. Its funny this time around... all 3 companies are copying ideas from eachother lol ... I guess all is fair in love and war. :)

Nuzzles said:
Anyone seen that movie with the Milo kid working for that Synapse company?

Microsoft is planning world domination. They're spying on you. :(

Fo' serious this time.

Anti-Trust is the name of the Movie... One of my Favorites all time... and Nurv (aka MS hehe) got taken down.. so dont fret ;)

theNoid said:
I tend to agree. Its funny this time around... all 3 companies are copying ideas from eachother lol ... I guess all is fair in love and war. :)

What? What has nintendo copyed this round? Im pretty sure nothing. (unless you know somthing I dont)

theNoid said:

Yeah... but... Nintendo doesn't have a movement-camera...lol. Their actual controller detects everything on an entirely 3D plane (X+Y+Z) and it's part of its interface with the game itself. This is just Microsoft copying Sony's idea and seemingly improving it. Usually it's Sony that's the idea-stealer. Ah well, we'll have to see if Microsoft's "eye toy" is better than Sony's I guess. The patent sure sounds like it does, if you don't mind being gouged for the price of 2 cameras. Whenever they release it :p

Another thing you have to take into consideration is that Nintendo is the only one that includes their part as a standard for the console. I'd hate to imagine what this thing is going to cost. o_O

steviep said:
This is just Microsoft copying Sony's idea and seemingly improving it. Usually it's Sony that's the idea-stealer...

Well the eye toy was a 'stolen' idea in the first place, I remember playing games very similar to the eye toy range with software that came bundled with my girlfriend's webcam in the 90's.

Can I ask who is gonna really use this? Who really uses the Eyetoy?

Smiffy said:
Well the eye toy was a 'stolen' idea in the first place, I remember playing games very similar to the eye toy range with software that came bundled with my girlfriend's webcam in the 90's.

Ah, well there you go. I knew Sony had to have stolen it from somewhere :p

markt435 said:
Can I ask who is gonna really use this? Who really uses the Eyetoy?

I would use something like this if they could implement it into some good games. The idea behind these camera systems is cool but has never been implemented well. Guess I will just have to wait and see.

steviep said:
an entirely 3D plane (X+Y+Z)

No such thing as a "3D plane". By definition a plane exists only in 2 dimensions...

The rev controller works in "3D space"

Back OT:

If this thing can detect movement in 3D space by using visual processing and comparing the images from the two cameras then it could potentially work a lot like the rev controller because it could track your movements in 3D space.

Also do the wired 360 controllers have the same slot at the top as the wireless controllers? If so they could release something that can sit in there as a sort of "visual marker" that the cameras could track and detect orientation with etc...this would bring the system very close inline with the Nintendo controller...just a thought...interesting stuff though for sure...

You're forgetting something. This is not an interface, and is an optional (and likely expensive) accessory ;)

Much like the Eyetoy, DK Bongos, Steel Batallian controller... etc etc, it will be extremely niche at best. Especially if you require 2 of them to get any sort of functionality beyond the EyeToy. This was meant to compete (or best by the look of it) Sony's offering, not to try and mimic Nintendo's.

Let's calculate it by ratio...
Regular wireless network adapter: $30
XBox 360 wireless network adapter: $100

Regular webcam with motion tracking software: $30
XBox 360 webcam with motion tracking software: $100? :)

I'm not saying it will be good, cheap or used by the masses...everything (bar the 3D planes stuff) I stated was pure speculation and nothing more and its an interesting patent to have been filed, thats all.

steviep said:
Ah, well there you go. I knew Sony had to have stolen it from somewhere :p

i mean.. every company copies every other company though.. i dont' know.. i personally don't care about this "idea stealing" crap.. it's all aobut whoever comes up with the best implementation of the same thing, how else would we get better products??...

Back