360 as DVD player

DeathCloud

Gawd
Has anybody played around with the DVD playback on the 360. How is the picture quality, sound ect?

My verdict: it's passable, but I definately wouldn't use it as a DVD player anywhere important. I even saw it stutter on Star Wars (others report the same for other films, but apparently this is an isolated issue?)... something which a 3ghz machine shouldn't ever do, even in software decoding. Bottom line: you'd get equal or better quality from a dedicated player, even from a $20 WalMart unit... but if you must use it, it does work. NOT for videophiles in the least bit, but for people that use it as a 3rd or 4th DVD player sure!

All that said, I don't own an X360. I only got to experience DVD playback on friends' units, and both exhibited the above characteristics in some fashion.

I've been using it to play DVDs and it works fine for me. I'm not a videophile by any means so take that for what it's worth. I haven't noticed any glaring problems, but then again i'm not really looking for them. I just like being able to use one remote for my tv and 360/DVD player.

I tried it out just to see if I could use it instead of my stand-alone unit (it would've made the TV hook-up easier). I wouldn't use it if you have a progressive scan stand-along player. It's not bad, but it seemed a little blurry. I'm not sure if that's just the hook-up, transferring to a lower resolution or what...but it's only about 90% as good as my Sony stand-alone. It's definitely not bad, but I tried out the ultra-crisp Sin City DVD and there was a definite difference. It just seemed like their normally almost too-real looking skin was a little blurry.

Back