360 a little bit too loud?

exe163

[H]ard|Gawd
I own a PS3, when it runs folding home, the fan starts kicking, and I thought it is loud.

Then I when to my friend's house to play Gears, 360 was screaming while rendering the game. Whats the big deal these days, I use to play my gamecube with no sound whats so ever, now game consoles are louder than my TV when I play at night. God bless next gen gaming.

360's are known for their loud ass DVD drives. The newer it is, the quieter it is.

Its not just the DVD drive, the fan is abnormally loud. Like the OP, I own a PS3 (and Wii too), and go to a friends house to play his 360 from time to time. He has an Elite, maybe they're louder? Thought they were supposed to be quieter. I am always surprised at how loud it is when I go over. Heh, out of the blue he sent me a txt msg saying his 360 needs a silencer a few days ago.

The 360 is a loud machine, some of them are worse than others :( I had one that sounded like a jet turbine once and immediately returned it.

I found the same thing.

However I rarely notice, due to the fact the music/effects in the game itself cover it up (I notice during loading screens or anything like that).

It is the DVD drive going like crazy causing the noise, I haven't found the fans to be an issue.

The fans in my 360 are no louder than those in my PS3. The DVD drive, however, is horribly loud.

I never notice except for sometimes when I'm on the dashboard. Other than that movies/games drown out the fan noise just fine.

The 360 is way too loud, but considering the games and everything else I just grin and bear it. The fan noise isn't so bad, but the DVD drive spinning at full speed, or changing speeds, can get annoying.

Do what I do with my X360, turn the volume up until I cant hear it or the neighbors complain :D

Ya, its loud, but I don't really notice it when I'm playing a game.

I find my fans are a lot louder then the DVD drive.

My launch console is still very quiet, it has little to no sound coming from the drive itself, I can hear the fan from time to time but while i'm jamming on GoW I never notice it. On my friends console its a different story, his drive sounds like a pack of dieing cats :D

The cd drive in my dreamcast is louder than the dvd drive on an xbox :p

there are two extremely simple fixes to silent the 360 if you don't mind voiding your warranty.

One is to flash the drive's firmware with a slower setting. I had to flash my drive because the original died and i replaced it myself. I used the 5x setting when i flashed it just to see if it would make a difference since i always found the spin up sound of the drive to be incredibly annoying. There was no noticeable slow down in load times, and i haven't heard the drive spin since.

The second is to replace the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU (and x-brackets while you're in there.) The 360 has a variable speed fan that increases in speed along with the temperature. Replacing the thermal paste and brackets must have worked to decrease the temp well enough that i don't even hear the fans at all, and can only barely hear them when it's been playing a game for a while.

Both of these were so simple, cheap, and quick it's a wonder MS didn't do it themselves and not allow the 360 to get the reputation for sounding like a vacuum cleaner.

Back