36" to 44" 4K Roundup

silent, I'm surprised you're ok with 48ms lag or 30Hz for desktop use, especially since you're talking so much about lag in your last post. The JU6500 also has PWM. Wouldn't the Crossover or Wasabi be a better choice? I know you can't buy them locally but it still seems worth it.

silent, I'm surprised you're ok with 48ms lag or 30Hz for desktop use, especially since you're talking so much about lag in your last post. The JU6500 also has PWM. Wouldn't the Crossover or Wasabi be a better choice? I know you can't buy them locally but it still seems worth it.

The Sony X830C has ~36ms input lag in gaming mode, not 48ms. Not sure where you're getting that number. Still, it's pretty high coming from the Planar PX2611w, which was tested at 12ms or less, almost unheard of at the time for a LCD panel, and only ~4ms G2G. While it's nothing compared to today's 144Hz+ gaming monitors, I'm not used to a slow panel.

The Samsung JU6500 I picked up today is, so far, noticeably quicker than the Sony X830C, and the black levels are worlds better. Over all image quality is far better. Considering the set costs ~$150 less than the Sony, I see no reason anyone should consider the Sony for PC use... or for anything, for that matter. It's a shame, as I honestly feel the Sony was better built, had a better OSD and was all around a nicer set, but what we're buying these things for is the panel. The Samsung panel is better. It has better blacks. It has lower input lag (~26ms in gaming mode). It costs less. I can live with a somewhat flimsy plastic casing if a get an overall better product for less.

Is there any news *at all* of any displays in this size range coming with GSync?
I don't know, but I bet NVIDIA will start supporting FreeSync next year. VESA, Intel, AMD, and various monitors are already on board with it, and NVIDIA would be foolish to limit the flexibility of their product and give people motivation to buy AMD cards.

not 48ms. Not sure where you're getting that number
You said "Samsung JU6500, which apparently has worse PWM but should have better colors being a VA panel and gets similar blur and slightly better input lag (26ms) ratings under "game" mode, while maintaining 4:4:4 4K@60Hz for desktop use." That last part about 4:4:4 4K60Hz for desktop use means you'd be setting PC mode, which according to this means 48ms of lag. Thus, I'm surprised you're ok with 48ms of lag for desktop use.

You said "Samsung JU6500, which apparently has worse PWM but should have better colors being a VA panel and gets similar blur and slightly better input lag (26ms) ratings under "game" mode, while maintaining 4:4:4 4K@60Hz for desktop use." That last part about 4:4:4 4K60Hz for desktop use means you'd be setting PC mode, which according to this means 48ms of lag. Thus, I'm surprised you're ok with 48ms of lag for desktop use.

Man, who cares about refresh rate for desktop use? Yes, my mouse pointer is annoying but....? For gaming you're still getting 60Hz and around 26ms input lag.

Man, who cares about refresh rate for desktop use? Yes, my mouse pointer is annoying but....?
30Hz refresh rate means you'll get a varying 0-30ms of mouse lag, mouse cursor position updates twice as slow, and videos rendered at 30fps.

As for 48ms lag, unless you're a slow mouse user, it's a huge usability impact since the feedback loop is delayed and it'll take longer to point at anything. And audio/video will be out of sync in videos.

30Hz refresh rate means you'll get a varying 0-30ms of mouse lag, mouse cursor position updates twice as slow, and videos rendered at 30fps.

As for 48ms lag, unless you're a slow mouse user, it's a huge usability impact since the feedback loop is delayed and it'll take longer to point at anything. And audio/video will be out of sync in videos.

this is only really an issue if you are frequently switching back and forth to a much faster display. in day to day use its not noticeable. i also definitely feel like the lag in pc mode has been improved over the many updates since that review the 48ms number is from was done.

this is only really an issue if you are frequently switching back and forth to a much faster display. in day to day use its not noticeable. i also definitely feel like the lag in pc mode has been improved over the many updates since that review the 48ms number is from was done.

Yeah I honestly don't notice a substantial difference between PC and game mode, so the firmware updates have clearly been improving things as I know I can tell the difference between almost 50ms and ~25ms.

So these Samsung TV-s 40+ms are terrible in PC mode at desktop because mouse cursor feeling is bad?

And how does it feels big input lag and fast mouse on desktop?

It doesn't feel like big input lag, that's what we're saying. As another JU6500 user said, I think the more recent firmware updates have improved the input lag in PC mode (required for 4:4:4 chroma 4K@60Hz) to about the same as "game" mode, so around 26ms. That's really not too bad.

Bumping this up to the top. When is "new monitor season" that we can expect to start seeing 2016 models?

Did anything new come out of CES? Is a Samsung TV or a BenQ 32" still the best option?

I have the Sceptre. Good overall monitor. Looks great but has some issues with older FPS games like tearing I haven't figured out. 4K @ 60HZ.

I'd like to request the Wasabi Mango UHD40 and 43 be added, as well as the Philips 43" monitor. I'm curious as to how they compare to the others on the list!

I'm about to go nuts because of all the potential options available to me. No matter what I do, there's a compromise I have to give up, and no one monitor does everything I need regardless of price. Ugh.

I just contacted Iiyama about making their 40" 4k monitor flicker free and adding freesync, suggesting a group buy to kickstart it. Thoughts?

Edit: I believe the Iiyama X4071UHSU-B1 uses PWM.

2nd edit: looking at the video, it looks like it's PWM based.

Last edited:
I just contacted Iiyama about making their 40" 4k monitor flicker free and adding freesync, suggesting a group buy to kickstart it. Thoughts?
Thanks for bringing up those other models. It was hard to find proper reviews and info on them though. As for Iiyama, lag is way too high to begin with.

I did say it would need less input lag. It would have to be part if the spec for sure.

Edit: do we have an input lag reading for the Iiyama x4071uhsu-b1 though? The other one (more of a public display model) has the 50-ish ms lag, but do we know if this one does also?

Last edited:
Such a lack of good price devices in this range. Which of these is most inexpensive at the moment?

Last edited:
Philips is going to showcase their next large format display - a 40'' curved 4k monitor - at IFA in September

OK, real talk guys... Is the large format 4K monitor market juat not ready yet? It seems to me that the best we can do is "hey that looks nice", if we accept a ton of compromise to get it. All the large panels are slow in either response, input lag, or both. They might seem perfect at first glance, but then they turn on you and go BGR, colour bleed, artifacts, burn-in, and tons of glare (Looking at you, Philips!). They might have everything down perfectly, but then it turns out they don't have 4:4:4 chroma.

All the panels that get it right are sub-40". I'm tempted to go triple portrait monitors or something like that while I wait for the market to catch up. Any thoughts? If only 4K TVs would use displayport, we might actually be on to something... If they don't have a 16ms response time, with a total lag+response time of 40+ms if you want 4:4:4...

Well, if they are about to release 120+Hz 4k monitors this year or even early next year I personally would wait which I am anyway because I'm in the camp of '4k isnt ready for pc gaming' at this time. I'm good with 21:9 for the time being. I can easily go another year. It could be a while before we see the really good 4k PC gaming monitors over 34". Right now if I was not wanting to wait I'd be looking at that Wasabi Mango U400 unit. Its getting a lot of good reviews here on HF. There is also the new 2016 Samsung KS series TVs that seem to be as good as the 2015 JS9000 if not better. Input lag will be too high for some people however. Depends on your tolerance level. For now I'm just waiting and watching.

These monitors are not ready for hardcore gaming YET. casual gaming and normal desktop productivity use? sure.

All the panels that get it right are sub-40".
What about the 434K and UHD420? Neither seem to have a dealbreaker, except availability can be tough.

These monitors are not ready for hardcore gaming YET. casual gaming and normal desktop productivity use? sure.
Some of them are fine for casual and "hardcore" gaming, but not competitive gaming; for that you'll want a smaller screen (in addition to faster framerate of course). Also, 40" screens are worse for desktop productivity.

For max competitiveness and most desktop usage: 24-27" with at least 120Hz
For max gaming immersiveness: 40"+

Any new 4K IPS with minimal lag / ghosting?

Seems the closest right now it the Wasabi Mango UHD430 / 420, 430 seems newer but increased response time and its not specificfied if its PWM

The first 4K monitors had two vertically oriented panels with half 4K resolutions, requiring a "multi-monitor" setup to use.

Is there any reason why some company couldn't make a 120hz+ 4K monitor by doing the same, but with high refresh rate panels?

What about Samsung ks8000 49 although, 10 bit+under 40ms lag...i wish on ifa there will be hdr 4k monitors

Back