36 Thousand Dollars in damage done. Eh... Shrikes 3rd Titan down - Eve Online

Apathy

Gawd
Yea uh.. so im gonna try not to say something cliche here but um...
Screw it, it was epic.

Shrike has lost his 3rd Titan class Avatar. His 2nd titan lost in less than a week, and his 3rd over all. No pilot has ever lost more than one in the history of eve.

An Estimated 400 - 600 billion isk destroyed between BOB/GBC and The Northern Coaliton.

The MAX campaign has thus far been a cascading failure, and this is just more cherries on the ice cream.

If you figure that 1 game time card costs 30$, and will sell on the eve forums for about 500 million isk, then you can do the math and figure out that:
60$ = 1 billion isk

SO if 60x600 = 36000

600 billion isk = $36,000

This was over the period of less than one week.

Pictures / Proof that the north > bob:
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/425/20081030221654or5.jpg
20081030221654or5.jpg

Video: http://dl.eve-files.com/media/0810/shrike_0001.wmv

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/0810/Shrike_2.JPG
Shrike_2.JPG

this killmail:
http://kb.gaurina.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=103995

this ships you can actually see in the picture are the cap ships (dreads/carriers). the little white dots everywhere are the support (battleships/battlecruisers and smaller) that are too small to see at the range this screenshot was captured.

The shakedown: pandemic legion got bob's pos pw, bumped shrike out about 27k from the pos shields using nano-phoons. cyno was lit, ~100 of NC's dreads jumped in. shrike popped within a minute or two.

wowzers.

I have no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds awesome. :D Can you translate what you said so people that haven't played this game can understand?

alright, im at work so gimme a couple of minutes. ill do a write up in about 20 minutes explaining this as much as i can for people that don't play eve.

Before i start this:
Training Skills in EVE takes real time. Some skills take 10 minutes, others can take months to train up one level. Skill's cannot be raised above level 5, and there are different training times and attributes that increase individual skill training fields.

*edit* ok...
Shrike is this dude in EVE. He is the Titan pilot alt of Sir Molle. Sir Molle is the leader of BOB. BOB is one of the largest, most powerful, highly concentrated skill point alliances, which utilizes its membership with extreme effectiveness, and generally excellent organizational PvP skills and tactics.

BOB is currently at war with The Northern Coalition, which consists of many alliances including Morsus Mihi and Razor. While there is no formal war declaration, The N.C. lives in 0.0 space, so there is no need for an actual sanctioned war to be active.

Space in EVE consists of Solar Systems inside of Constellations inside of Regions. Each solar system has a security rating. Systems considered high security are located in 0.5 -> 1.0. When in these types of high-sec space, you cannot attack another player unless you are formally at war with them, or you will be almost instantly blown up by NPC police ships.

While in 0.4 -> 0.0 space, the rules are very different. The only thing to protect you from random acts of violence are the occasion station systems which have places that you can dock your ship at and be completely safe from harm, and the sentry guns that reside on stations, and the inbound/outbound gates. These sentry guns are powerful and will destroy most ships fairly quickly unless the ship is generally a battleship or larger. These guns reside only in 0.1 - > 1.0 security status systems, and increase in their damage progressively as sec status increases.

Titan's are the largest ship in the game. They take 6 months of real time to construct, can only be built in 0.0 space at a POS (player owned structuer), and cost approximately 40 billion isk just for the components. Putting one of these things together is not only insanely expensive, but keeping it a secret while its in the cooker, along with hauling all the necessary components is an EXTREMELY difficult and harrowing task. Even after you have the ship, you have to have a pilot that can fly it effectively, and obtaining the skills to do that is expensive, and takes a hell of a long time. (figure about 6 months - 1 year at least for decent skills in piloting titan class ships).

AFTER you have done all of what the last paragraph says, you still need to purchase all of the Officer mods (highest end modules) to fit the ship, because you wouldn't want to make this kind of investment and then fit it out half assed, would you? These modules usually cost at least 30billion isk, and thats IF you manage to locate them on the market and purchase them before someone else does because they are so extremely rare.

The majority of EVE players hate BOB because they are arrogant pricks. For the NC to stop the MAX campaign (which stated that it would completely destroy the north and leave them with no stations and bla bla bla) and destroy this many capitals and Titans is unprecedented. Although not entirely unexpected, this was an incredible accomplishment by all involved so far in the defense of the Tribute region of space.

So just to paraphrase..
One of our friendly alliances, Pandemic Legion, obtained BOB's password for their forcefields at their POS in lowsec space. Using their 'forcefield password', Pandemic Legion Alliance was able to use three battleship class Typhoon's, outfitted with nano-fibers (which allow the typhoons to travel much faster than they normally would) and bumped into Shrike's Titan which was parked safe inside of the forcefield. Through the use of mass and physics, Shrike's Titan was bumped out of the forcefield that was protecting it, and was put into a position approximately 27kilometeres from the edge of the forcefield. VERY Soon after this happened, our friends sent in special spaceships that have the ability to prevent the Titan from running away through the use of "focus points" which disable the ship's engine and prevent it from warping away or jumping out of the system.

Immediately following that, our friendly fleet was jumped in with 100 Capital Ships (via the use of a cynosural field which most ships can fit and activate to open a portal through space which allows capital ships to jump from system to system using jump drives since they cannot use stargates as all other small ships can), Dreadnought Class (dreads are capital ship killers, as well as pos killers) ships, and proceeded to pummel the shit out of Shrike's Titan. Typically these Titans are used very very very strategically and are kept out of harms way most of the time to prevent a loss. They also have the ability to set off a device called a "Doom's Day" which will kill just about every ship, battleship and smaller (with the exception of DD-proof battleships) that is within approximately 250km of the Titan itself.

HOWEVER, the titan was located in low sec where doomsdays cannot be used. So it died. And it died very quickly. It was awesome. Oh, and the NC also managed to kill about 20 of the enemies capital ship gang. This has been the largest amount of destruction ever done in eve in such a small amount of time. Also has had some of the largest fleet battles. I think Local hit something like ~1000 players.

Just to give a general comparison on ships/fitting prices
---Tech 1 Battleships = 60 - 100 million isk. Fittings (necessary equipment for the ship) cost about 40 million. Add another 60 million if you plan on using rigs which can greatly increase the capability of your ship.

---Tech 1 Tier 2 Battleships are generally a least 20 - 60 million isk more, depending on where they are purchased.

---Dreadnought Capital Ships cost around 1.8billion isk for the hull, and another 500 million at least to fit just with basic tech 2 modules. If you plan on faction/deadspace/officer fitting, you're looking at quite a bit more.

---Carriers are platforms for drones and fighters (a larger more powerful drone) and cost around 800 million, plus another 200 - 350million to fit properly. And thats ecluding the 20million per fighter. Usually carriers have at least 10 or 20 fighters within their hold.

---Tech 2 Cruisers (Heavy Assault Cruisers/Logistics/Combat and Force Recon) = 60 - 85million isk. Fittings = 40 - 100 million

---Frigates are tiny, used as tacklers, cost around 1million isk, maybe another couple million to fit with all tech 2 modules.

---interceptors/covert op's are around 20-30milion isk for a cheap fit. 100 - 400million isk for a really high end fit.

And just to give an even further idea of the economics at play here...
Mission Runners doing high level missions make between 10 and 40 million isk per mission. Each mission of this type takes between 30 minuts and 1 1/2 hours depending on level of skill and familiarity with what must be accomplished. Also depends on if you go through and salvage/loot your mission when you are going through it.

Mining/Market Trading/Production can be far more profitable depending on skill and access to various resources. People in these fields can make anywhere from 1million isk/hr -> upwards of 100billion isk/week. There is a HUGE variation here, but very few people are making more than a couple hundred million per week, and even per month.

It should be understood that in order to reach this level of income generating status, you really have to get extremely lucky, or play eve all the time, and grind out isk.

There are too many more ships to list here with far too many varying prices.

In closing all I have to say is, fuck bob. Get the fuck out of our home. Bitches.

But also thank you for bringing us a great fight for the past bunch of weeks.

EVE was a game I tried at the same time that I got into X3, and at the time, X3 was just so much game, and EVE was and still is, bloody expensive. Its the kind of game I would have loved to get into had I the time and money to toss at a MMO.

That being said, I know plenty of people who play it and love it, and I can appreciate the game and those who play it.

Games like WoW seem....gay to me. No offense, but the people who play WoW are the kind of people I used to beat up back in school. But EVE seems to be all the MMO you need without any of the urber-fruityness that I see in games like WoW.

The scale of EVE battles from what I have seen always strikes me. Looks like fun...Lots more then a bunch of LARP kids tossing "LIGHTNING BOLT" in a virtural world and getting married and shit.

...The shakedown: pandemic legion got bob's pos pw, bumped shrike out about 27k from the pos shields using nano-phoons. cyno was lit, ~100 of NC's dreads jumped in. shrike popped within a minute or two.

wowzers.
wtf did you just say?

yea, ive edited this a hell of a lot of times. i think its all done now. sorry for walls.

Wow, great write up. I still don't understand how it cost $36,000? Can you correlate real world dollars to how it cost them in game?

The 'forcefield password' thing. How DID they get slipped out? Not a BOB player would leak it, would they?

Because...just saying, some gamers really can't take losses very well. Heck, there are a number of (IRL) murders each year over forum disputes...and with that much actual, real live money involved...

I dunno. I agree with one of the above posters that notes this is much less 'nerd-like gamey' than WoW...but the other side of the coin of having so much MORE invested in it is...well, people get seriously, actually, ANGRY...

...and, honestly, that doesn't make for very much "fun" to me.

Wow. Sounds real epic. Sweet video.

Damn, it sounds and looks complicated. Rather not have to do homework to play games.

this thread is epic, I'm trying to understand the OP.

cool thread tho.

The 'forcefield password' thing. How DID they get slipped out? Not a BOB player would leak it, would they?

Because...just saying, some gamers really can't take losses very well. Heck, there are a number of (IRL) murders each year over forum disputes...and with that much actual, real live money involved...

I dunno. I agree with one of the above posters that notes this is much less 'nerd-like gamey' than WoW...but the other side of the coin of having so much MORE invested in it is...well, people get seriously, actually, ANGRY...

dude, eve mirrors the real world in many many ways. including its economy, and practices of war. Hence spies, sabotage, espionage etc. Both sides have spies in eachothers alliances. On their teamspeak, in their corps. Even at the highest level of command. It's just how it all works. With thousands of people in your alliance, its kinda hard to figure out which ones to trust.

If you bother trying to sift through the propoganda and nonsense on the 'corporation alliance and organization discussion' section of the forums, you'll see various posts about corp thefts with values going into the billions. Even titan's have been stolen before. The history of eve is incredibly deep, and not many people can tell you a whole lot about it since there is just way too much out there.

If you are at all interested in this type of thing though, with sabotage and espionage related things in eve, go search for the "Guiding Hand Social Club" on google. They were famous for their style and their accomplishments through the infiltration of alliances and corporations.

regarding the economy comparisons between real life and the eve player controlled market:
for example, tritanium (trit) is the most commonly used mineral for building ships. If trit suddenly becomes more readily available, or if asteroids suddenly start spawning trit faster because of a patch, or if a patch makes a certain ship 10x more useful, or if 600 billion isk in ships are destroyed and now all of those ships must be rebuilt by the industrialist sector of the eve player base, now all of a sudden those trit values are completely different from what they once were.

now instead of 1000 people looking to buy trit, theres 10,000. and theres that many more people trying to harvest the trit and put it on the market and so on and so forth. so eventually the market gets saturated, prices crash, business solutions complete fail, and it repeats itself all over again.

no stupid ass market bail outs here. only patches.

as for the real life money thing, this is just a value based on what the assets lost would actually be worth if they were broken down and sold over the forums or on ebay, and then if you converted that value of isk into game time cards and then into dollars based on how much the game time cards cost and what they sell for on the forums. sorry if this last paragraph is a bit nonsensical.

Sounds epic, that is pretty amazing feat. I'd be pissed to lose something that expensive!

Wwell to be fair, there was probably about 2 or 3 thousand players individual losses involved in that figure. Gotta account for the ship itself, the modules on the ship, any implants the player may have, and any other assets lost.

Theres a lot of values to play with there. The ridiculous thing is that it happened over a period of just a couple of days. Eve has been out now for about 5 years, and nothing like this has ever happened before.

you can buy prepaid game time cards at sites like eve-online.com and www.shatteredcrystal.com. These gtc's are about 30$.

If you figure that 1 game time card costs 30$, and will sell on the eve forums for about 500 million isk, then you can do the math and figure out that:
60$ = 1 billion isk

SO if 60x600 = 36000

Then 600 billion isk = $36,000

also, heres a video:
http://dl.eve-files.com/media/0810/shrike_0001.wmv

So in essence a game time card (how much game time does that get you?) can be essentially traded for money in game. So I am assuming its a month or two worth of gaming for the card and that's roughly how long it would take to amass 500 Million of the game's units of money?

ok, so on www.shatteredcrystal.com 60 days of gametime can be had for $34.99

if you buy one of these and try to sell it on the eve GTC (game time code) regulated forums, you will typically be able to sell them for 500 million 'isk' (units of in game money). So instead of doing missions, or killing NPC's for cash (referred to as rats. so when you are killing NPC's for money, you are ratting) you can just buy a GTC for 35$ and re-sell it for isk almost immediately.

Personally, id rather work 2 hours at my job, and then go home and buy the isk the legal way through the resale of GTC's, than ever have to run a mission/mine/grind anything for isk ever again. I just don't enjoy grinding, and its hard for me personally to cope with at this point. Combined with the fact that if i rat, id only every generate around 40-60 million isk max per hour, and thats just not worth it to me.

So i almost never make my own isk anymore. This works great for people who love making isk, because they can farm isk all day, and buy GTC's, so they never have to actually pay for their subsciption with real money. It just depends what you'd prefer to do. I'd just rather use my game time to PvP all day long. vOv

Some corporations and alliances, like BOB for example, give its members everything for free, they just require that their members do a job for the corp/alliance. Take part in mining ops, or fuel some of the pos' around their sovereignty systems. Along with various other things to keep its players from having to take part in the isk grind.

Gotcha. Sounds way too in depth and expensive for me.:p If I was unmarried and had a bunch of spare time I'd love to try it out.

Well, nows as good a time as ever to start. the game is constantly evolving. Ambulation is being developed. Planetary exploration via atmospheric flight is coming at some point.

It can be free to play if you grind isk for a little bit every 2 months. And you can start training your skills now as they train over real time even when you're logged off. Who knows, maybe in 6 months you'll have some time to jump in.

So in essence a game time card (how much game time does that get you?) can be essentially traded for money in game. So I am assuming its a month or two worth of gaming for the card and that's roughly how long it would take to amass 500 Million of the game's units of money?

I've trade for game cards in the past in other games and it generally doesn't take 60 days for an experienced player to amass enough in game currency to purchase a 60 day time card. Depending on the player, it could take anywhere from several days to several months to obtain the money. So realistically speaking, the people who buy cards are those who make large sums of money in game, otherwise you'd be undermine any progress you make ingame economically. Of course, it might be different for Eve, but I doubt it.

I've trade for game cards in the past in other games and it generally doesn't take 60 days for an experienced player to amass enough in game currency to purchase a 60 day time card. Depending on the player, it could take anywhere from several days to several months to obtain the money. So realistically speaking, the people who buy cards are those who make large sums of money in game, otherwise you'd be undermine any progress you make ingame economically. Of course, it might be different for Eve, but I doubt it.

Yea, realistically its more like 10-20 hours of play to make enough in-game money to pay for a 2 month subscription through the purchasing of game time cards. You may need to have your character around 4 - 6 months old to get this kind of effeciency though.

Games pretty much like real life but more exgaeratted, movie style way, Spys galore, political courruption EVERYWHERE. Basicly where all of humanities good and bad side come out.

The game is pretty much controled by the people, the developers/game makers (CCP) control very little in terms, well everything. About the only thing they control are rat spawns (monster spawns in wow talk I guess) Ships, mods(ie gear) stats for above and game mechanics, otherwise the game world is shaped and controled by the players, the enconmy, control, etc.

How did the server survive that battle? Must have been a lag fest like no other (albeit, an epic one).

Sorry, just had to add... Your name reminds me of m00..... Sigh.... m00 are singlehandedly the reason for npc uber cops. before m00 the npc police in eve were actually possible to kill and survive (damn near impossible, but it was possible back then)

Long story short, they shut down a high sec(normally uber safe space) superhighway system in EVE. At one point even the developers in uber "swat" police ships that they designed quickly and uberly to try and take the down... FAILED. alot of history in eve.

I always wished that I could get into Eve. I just got hooked on wow too soon and cant handle 2 mmos.

Sorry, just had to add... Your name reminds me of m00..... Sigh.... m00 are singlehandedly the reason for npc uber cops. before m00 the npc police in eve were actually possible to kill and survive (damn near impossible, but it was possible back then)

Long story short, they shut down a high sec(normally uber safe space) superhighway system in EVE. At one point even the developers in uber "swat" police ships that they designed quickly and uberly to try and take the down... FAILED. alot of history in eve.

Another awesome story to look up. There is a fairly detailed eve wiki that covers some of this stuff, but yea... this story was very cool. I think the dev team was called 'The Seven' if i remember correctly.

www.eve-wiki.net/

The EVE Online Server is one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, only game server in the top 100 I belive

http://www.ccpgames.com/press/press_releases.asp?pressReleaseID=25

+1

Also, the servers are constantly being upgraded. Theres a lot of published information about it in the dev blogs on www.eve-online.com

They are doing this whole thing called 'need4speed' to increase performance in laggy situations. The problem is the code for EVE is so outdated and supposedly 'poorly written' that it can't always handle 1000 people in a system without prior knowledge that a fleet battle of that size is going to occur there.

However, for the major trade hubs such as Jita, a dedicated server is assigned to that system to make sure the node never crashes and that the system environment is capable of handling the i/o operations of 1k people there. Using the market, station services, general navigation around etc.

If the big guys in the alliances let CCP (eve dev's) know that a big fleet fight is expected in a system prior to downtime, CCP will reinforce the node by putting the node on a dedicated server to handle all the players which will dramatically reduce lag and server crashes. The problem is though, that CCP has to be told this is going to happen before the 1hr long downtime every day. They can't do it in the middle of battle without putting the node offline.

It should be noted though, that they have made drastic improvements to the game overall to benefit the dedicated PvP'ers who have been bitching about lag for years.

Thanks ccp :)

thanks for all the explaining, seems complicated, but it was cool to hear about the game.

So has a certain HVAC repairman killed himself yet IRL? Or is he on titan #4.

I know its hard for non-EVE players to understand what happened here. Its like this: imagine if in WOW your guild leader can play as Onyxia, if everyone in the guild chips in and raises about $10,000. For your hard work, you get someone who can just Deep Breath and kill everything. Yeah.

Hmm, i wonder, will this perhaps make a few people give up following all these losses especially of such time consuming projects or will it just be a more 'we will get revenge no matter what' type affair.

I mean seeing all that hard work go down the drain must be demoralising.

Wait, let me get this right...
They took down a titan in 2-3 minutes!?
Holy f'in shit we got a new enemy to worry about!

Back