3570k to 7700k

jeffxx

n00b
Ok - maybe this topic has been posted before. I keep seeing conflicting opinions, however.

I currently have a 3570k @ 4.6ghz (i think I'll tone back to 4.4 since it's getting a bit hot).

I play a lot of CPU intensive games such as Guildwars 2, PlayerUnknown's BG, etc. I play Overwatch and my FPS is fine there. I also play on 1080p 144hz. I am not getting great FPS in PUBG (i guess no one is, but it could def be better) and in Guildwars2 it's not great either. I'm also hitting 100% cpu in PUBG.

Has anyone made this upgrade and found it to be completely worth it? I guess I could wait, but I've been waiting since 2012 and I'm sure people will tell me to wait after the next release.

Thanks!

A 7700K is quite faster and you should be able to at least hit the same OC and most likely higher.

The next upgrade if you want is in august with coffee lake for mainstream offering 6C/12T on 14nm++, 300 series chipset with integrated wifi and 6 USB 3.1G2 .

A 7700K is quite faster and you should be able to at least hit the same OC and most likely higher.

The next upgrade if you want is in august with coffee lake for mainstream offering 6C/12T on 14nm++, 300 series chipset with integrated wifi and 6 USB 3.1G2 .

Honestly, I mostly care about single core performance since I play older games. I don't really care about the USB/Wifi thing either.

Thanks

If you can run your 3570K at 4.6GHz, I'd keep it and skip this gen. I upgraded from the same proc (@ 4.2) and got a marginal bump in performance (4.7GHz), but I'm also thermally limited by the lousy TIM. I'm waiting to see if Coffeelake has better thermals, upgrade the CPU if it does (keep Z270 board) or delid if it has the same problem as Kaby Lake.

Shintai's post is why I have a reservation of a new build sitting at Microcenter and STR's post is why it's been sitting there for a few days and is going to expire today. I keep going back and forth.

When I bought, I didn't know the new hotness was coming in August. I thought I'd be sitting until fall or winter. If I was buying now, I'd wait until August. Not only will you have Coffee Lake, but RX Vega to examine.

We are literally weighing the same decision, just 2 months apart. Use the knowledge I didn't have and make a better choice. Kaby Lake kinda sucks.

GPU upgrades always can help too, even if you hit 100% CPU utilization (not sure what you have now). Could be the first component of a new build :).

Cannon lake is sounding cool, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out

GPU upgrades always can help too, even if you hit 100% CPU utilization (not sure what you have now). Could be the first component of a new build :).

Cannon lake is sounding cool, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out

I have an OC'd GTX 1060 6gb but I mainly play cpu intensive games. I don't think upgrading GPUs will be worth it for me.

I have an OC'd GTX 1060 6gb but I mainly play cpu intensive games. I don't think upgrading GPUs will be worth it for me.
I wonder how your games might benefit from hyperthreading or more cores. I'd check specific benchmarks for your games to see how they benefit.

the 7700k is the king of the hill right now so would be good, but I think the next 1-2 years will be interesting as Ryzen has brought high core/thread counts to the masses and intels response will benefit us all

I had thought Cannonlake was 10nm and Coffeelake was 14nm. Oops.

You're correct, actually. Coffeelake is still 14nm, but ups the core count to 6 and threadcount up to 12 (on I7, I5 will still lack HT). It's supposed to launch this summer. Cannonlake is the 10nm part, but Intel isn't launching desktop chips on 10nm until well into 2018.

Is Coffeelake worth waiting for?

If you want/need 6 cores, then yes. If not, then maybe.

Thanks all. I really won't mind upgrading again in 2 years if need be. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and grab the 7700k. I'll reply here and let you know how the upgrade was.

The 7700k is nice because they are great overclockers, especially if you want to delid it.

If you are hitting 100% cpu in PUBG ( which i finally had to just look up what it was since i keep hearing that name) it looks to me like that game may be multithreaded. Looks like arma/battlefield..But i wouldn't shun a 6 core at least. I'd wait until coffee lake, see what it's all about and then make a decision. Maybe even end up just going with a 7700k, pick one up used or something. I'm still running my 3570k and i never ended up overclocking it. Still plays everything i play just fine. Which admittedly is like you a lot of older games. My 1070 basically revitalized my old ass machine, keeping me from upgrading until at least Coffee Lake/Skylake X. And again. I may even still go with a 7700k at that time. I am itching to up my core count. 6 would be fine, as far as a middle road for productivity/gaming, heat ect. But really a 7700k woudl be a fairly huge upgrade from my i5 in gaming and productivity.

I had thought Cannonlake was 10nm and Coffeelake was 14nm. Oops.

Is Coffeelake worth waiting for?

Cannon Lake is 10nm. Coffee Lake is 14nm++. Kaby Lake is 14nm+ for example and Skylake 14nm.
14nmcharacteristic.png

I'm actually sitting on my 3570 (non-K), until memory prices come back down to sane levels. Currently about twice as high as I'm willing to pay.

I'm actually sitting on my 3570 (non-K), until memory prices come back down to sane levels. Currently about twice as high as I'm willing to pay.

Yea i was gonna grab a new kit and my jaw dropped when i saw what the prices were now.

you would still see more benefit from putting that $400-500 into a graphics card in your current system.

I went and built an i7 7700k currently sitting at 4.9ghz. The difference was noticeable. People tend to forget how much of a difference a higher 'lowest fps' is. My PUBG and Guildwars2 fps raised a good amount. It just feels smoother.

Was it worth the $1k I spent on a whole new build? Maybe not, but I spend too much time on the computer and was worth it to me.

Back