3570K @ 4.7 GHz operating at 100% during Battlefield One - Worth it to OC to 5.0 GHz?

• Thread starter Deleted member 72990
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 72990

I've had my 3570k since 2013 when I bought it to play Battlefield 4. I've upgraded video cards a few times since then and I currently am running dual highly overclocked 980 Ti's in SLI. I play on a 3440x1440 monitor at 125% resolution scaling and the graphics are fantastic, and my video cards are not even being fully utilized (Witcher 3 was a lot more demanding when maxed out it seems).

However, I do have little stutters here and there although the framerate is quite high. I monitor my CPU usage and it is pegged at 100% on all 4 cores for the duration of my BF One gaming. If I play on a server with fewer players the load goes down a bit. So it basically seems that my current CPU is bottlenecking my experience a little bit.

My CPU will run at 5.0 GHz at about 1.4v. Currently it is at 4.7 and about 1.34v. When I overclocked it from 4.4 to 4.7 it relieved the stuttering in Witcher 3, if I push it to 5.0 it seems to run BF nicely. But I know that is a high voltage. Temps are never an issue with my H100iV2 w/ Noctua enterprise fans, but should I still worry about running a voltage that high? I know 1.4 is that max safe recommended by intel but I've heard of people recommending against it. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah I say go for it. Unless of course you cannot absolutely afford to be down or build a new pc. It'd probably be fine, but u could get some random bad luck and it goes pop. Myself, I'd say F it and let er rip. But I do have backup rigs, or the ability to buy new parts should disaster strike.

1.4v is not really high for a 22nm part from what I've seen and read, not even for a couple years. If you can cool it enough to prevent throttling at 1.4v then go for it.

LTT states that even a crappy CPU won't bottleneck BF1. Are you sure it's your CPU that is the culprit? Maybe try OCing briefly to test, then return to 4.7 if there's no change.

LTT states that even a crappy CPU won't bottleneck BF1. Are you sure it's your CPU that is the culprit? Maybe try OCing briefly to test, then return to 4.7 if there's no change.

Hmm, I've read about a lot of people complaining about 100% usage even with 6 or 8 cores. Maybe it's a code issue with the game?

Hmm, I've read about a lot of people complaining about 100% usage even with 6 or 8 cores. Maybe it's a code issue with the game?
Not sure, maybe. Either way, I'd say test your OC. A higher OC is always good, but if it makes 0% difference in the application you're using, dialing back a bit will help prolong the life of your hardware.

My 3570k @ 4.6 gets pegged too. I don't feel like its hurting me at all though. Still getting great performance.

Linus also tested at 4k and didn't bench multiplayer iirc. Mp in all battlefield games is a whole different beast than single player.

I can play SP and get normal CPU usage. I will play TDM, or domination and get normal CPU usage. (80-90% typical BF4 utilization) But Conquest or operations its a painful 90-100%. Kind of annoying, as now it seems like i get performance hits when the CPU is at 100%
I'm using DX11 @1440p, 144hz Freesync on a 390x ,overclocked 1150/1625, and still a 3570k 4.6Ghz.

Last edited:
I can play SP and get normal CPU usage. I will play TDM, or domination and get normal CPU usage. (80-90% typical BF4 utilization) But Conquest or operations its a painful 90-100%. Kind of annoying, as now it seems like i get performance hits when the CPU is at 100%
I'm using DX11 @1440p, 144hz Freesync on a 390x ,overclocked 1150/1625, and still a 3570k 4.6Ghz.

I'm not having any of those issues. Your CPU is weak for BF1. If I disable HT on my Hexa Core then utlization jumps to over 70% with HT it's a smooth ride. 2600k/3770k @ 4.5Ghz with GTX 1060 and x5675 @ 4.2GHz with GTX1070. It doesn't matter if it's ultra or low. I play at 2k.

I'm not having any of those issues. Your CPU is weak for BF1. If I disable HT on my Hexa Core then utlization jumps to over 70% with HT it's a smooth ride. 2600k/3770k @ 4.5Ghz with GTX 1060 and x5675 @ 4.2GHz with GTX1070. It doesn't matter if it's ultra or low. I play at 2k.

Please show me some CPU graphs from Afterburner (or whatever you use) in a 64man conquest on your 3770k system or your 2600k system, since I can't tell what system you are using.

Edit: There is a whole thread on BF forums related to this. Users with all different types of systems. None of the suggestions have worked much for me.
https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/42847/high-cpu-usage-low-fps-potential-fix#latest

Last edited:
I ended up buying a good 3770K and overclocked it to 4.7 as well. Game runs buttery smooth! Hyperthreading is still on and all 8 logical cores are running at about 85% or so but never up to 100%. So I consider that ugprade a major success. Anybody wanna buy my 3570k?

Please show me some CPU graphs from Afterburner (or whatever you use) in a 64man conquest on your 3770k system or your 2600k system, since I can't tell what system you are using.

Edit: There is a whole thread on BF forums related to this. Users with all different types of systems. None of the suggestions have worked much for me.
https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/42847/high-cpu-usage-low-fps-potential-fix#latest

I'm aware of this thread. I'll try to find some time this week. I would say most of those people posting in BF forums have no idea what they're doing with their computers.

I ended up buying a good 3770K and overclocked it to 4.7 as well. Game runs buttery smooth! Hyperthreading is still on and all 8 logical cores are running at about 85% or so but never up to 100%. So I consider that ugprade a major success. Anybody wanna buy my 3570k?

Smart move. That is a great overclock. My 3770k gets hot but nothing crazy at 4.5Ghz @ 1.254 vcore. You shouldn't have any problems selling your 3570k for over $100 on ebay.

If I need an i7 I guess I can wait till Zen.... No use going to 3770k unless I can find a good deal.

Edit: WTB 3770k lol

I can recommend to disable core parking for some extra overall CPU performance.

if you dont know how to do it and easy way is to use my program project Mercury from
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/project_mercury.html
http://www.techcenter.dk/
http://www.techcenter.dk/

If I need an i7 I guess I can wait till Zen.... No use going to 3770k unless I can find a good deal.

Edit: WTB 3770k lol

Still it won't outperform Sandy Bridge. It's coming out in the second quarter of 2017.

isn't core parking only an "issue" for Windows 7 systems? after win 8.1 that's non an issue, much less under Win10.

I haven't tested windows 8 or 8.1 but both in win7 and win10 have i seen performance increase from disabling coreaparking

my own machine is 3770k with win10 and got 20% boost in winrar and 7-zip (2 threads)

also i could not measure a bigger draw from the wall outlet from disabling core parking during idle.

However skylake might not have this issues but I'm unsure of that as i havent had a skylake system to test on.

i havent been able to teste anything from the 4000 series or newer. but all previeos genration of i7 i5 i3 dekstop and laptops I''ve tested. whenever there was hyper threading it help disabling coreparking

--- edit ---
i went searchin for my benchmark/testresults on my usb drive but i really need to start sorting this crap better >.<

the only thing i found is a cinbench benchmark i did with no information on what system it was
however this is on a 4core with Hyperthreading CPU so pobably somekind of I7

4thread HTon parking (Default

4thread HTon No parking

13% boost in cinebench when you are not using 8 threads
There was no increase for cinebench when using all 8 threads ( there would not be any coreparking anyway even if it was not disabled)

Last edited:
I haven't tested windows 8 or 8.1 but both in win7 and win10 have i seen performance increase from disabling coreaparking

my own machine is 3770k with win10 and got 20% boost in winrar and 7-zip (2 threads)

also i could not measure a bigger draw from the wall outlet from disabling core parking during idle.

However skylake might not have this issues but I'm unsure of that as i havent had a skylake system to test on.

i havent been able to teste anything from the 4000 series or newer. but all previeos genration of i7 i5 i3 dekstop and laptops I''ve tested. whenever there was hyper threading it help disabling coreparking

--- edit ---
i went searchin for my benchmark/testresults on my usb drive but i really need to start sorting this crap better >.<

the only thing i found is a cinbench benchmark i did with no information on what system it was
however this is on a 4core with Hyperthreading CPU so pobably somekind of I7

4thread HTon parking (Default

4thread HTon No parking

13% boost in cinebench when you are not using 8 threads
There was no increase for cinebench when using all 8 threads ( there would not be any coreparking anyway even if it was not disabled)

thanks, I appreciate the answer... I asked because i've never seen under windows 10 any core/thread parked even in long idle periods.

thanks, I appreciate the answer... I asked because i've never seen under windows 10 any core/thread parked even in long idle periods.

No problem at all. Just so it is not just my words, I quickly shutdown Project Mercury, so Core parkings disabling is disabled... ermm i mean core parking is on.

Image1.png

Also notice how its not just the extra logical cores.. but its actually 2 physical cores that are parked. so the high CPU activity has to share only 2 physical cores

I actually switched out my 10 core Xeon because it was holding back my 1070 in bf1 at 1440p. The 3930k I dropped in worked well for just gaming, but didn't work well streaming plus gaming so I picked up a 5960x. I can run some tests when it gets here if anyone is curious

You should just get a 2600K. That's all anyone ever really needs.

Anyone wondering. The new patch seems to have lowered my CPU usage. Game runs great now.

What CPU and resolution and frame rate?

3570k @ 4.6Ghz. 16GB RAM. 390x @ 1150/1625. 1440p 144hz freesync. Getting anywhere from 80-120. CPU usage stays 75-90% on large conquest maps. Just like BF4

A small bug fix release

V1.2.7.1
– Fixed pause icon error in 32bit version
– Fixed typo Recieved to Received in balloon tip
– Unified punctuation in history tab

www.techcenter.dk

Oh well, I am really enjoying the 3770k in other programs too. Slight jitter in Witcher 3 disappeared too!

Back