£350 to £380 Gaming PC

Wolfsbane2k

Limp Gawd
Hi

I';m looking to purchase a sub 350 gaming machine capable of running BF2 at 1280x1024 (17" LCD) at a reasonable rate.

I'm used to dealing with higher end machines for gaming and workstations, not at this end of the market.

The main components i'm looking at are the following:
6600GT PCIe card
80GB SATA HD
No-name case and PSU
DVD-RW

My options then become:
AMD3200+ Retail
Biostar NF4 mATX PCIe Mobo
1GB DDR
Cost: £372 delivered.

or

Intel Pentium D 805
Asus P5PL2 Mobo
1 GB DDR2
£380 delivered

Which would you go with, why, and is there anything you would change?
(I would love a 7600GS instead, but it adds another £45 to the bill)

More than willing to OC these babies :)

All prices include VAT
Cheers!

Wolfsbane2k

Unless you don't mind significantly turning down the settings, a 6600GT will not run BF2 at 1280x1024 at a reasonable frame rate.

See the no-name PSU? Subtract it completely from the equation. You don't want to spend that much on parts, just to have it all turned to paperweight because your PSU is faulty.

PWMK2 said:
Unless you don't mind significantly turning down the settings, a 6600GT will not run BF2 at 1280x1024 at a reasonable frame rate.
QFT...gather together some more bills, or play at 1024x768.
Good luck! ;)

power supply ? you don't need that, just run the power straight from the wall. saves you a ton of money ! upgrade to a 7900 ! see ? that was easy :cool:

TheOmniscientCreator said:
See the no-name PSU? Subtract it completely from the equation. You don't want to spend that much on parts, just to have it all turned to paperweight because your PSU is faulty.

QFT...gather together some more bills, or play at 1024x768.
Good luck! ;)

QFT again here, get some more money if you want BF2 at 1280. Extremely intensive game.

compulsivephreek said:
power supply ? you don't need that, just run the power straight from the wall. saves you a ton of money ! upgrade to a 7900 ! see ? that was easy :cool:

XD uh huh, you do that :p

compulsivephreek said:
Be nice :p

compulsivephreek said:

:p thanks.

i've got a seasonic 430w psu free that'll go into the machine - sorry, i should have said "No name case", and listed the PSU shouldn't I.

However, the idea of running a 7900GTX straight from a power supply without a MOBO is somewhat of a funny idea - let me crack open photoshop with my l33t skills ;)

Seems like i've stuck on one of the following GFX cards as they just under £100 ex tax.
6800GS or 7600GS, or i can go to a 7600GT if i drop the processor to a 3000+ from a 3200+ but that seems like robbing peter to pay paul, and the system will be severely CPU limited.

Wolfsbane2k said:
:p thanks.

i've got a seasonic 430w psu free that'll go into the machine - sorry, i should have said "No name case", and listed the PSU shouldn't I.

However, the idea of running a 7900GTX straight from a power supply without a MOBO is somewhat of a funny idea - let me crack open photoshop with my l33t skills ;)

Seems like i've stuck on one of the following GFX cards as they just under £100 ex tax.
6800GS or 7600GS, or i can go to a 7600GT if i drop the processor to a 3000+ from a 3200+ but that seems like robbing peter to pay paul, and the system will be severely CPU limited.

No, your machine will NOT be CPU limited with a 3000+. CPU performance in games these days is very loose anyway and you're much more likely to see an improvement with a better video card than a better CPU. And the 3200+ is only a little bit better than the 3000+. Get a 3000+ and a 7600GT (which is much, much better than a 7600GS) - you won't be disappointed. I game with a P4 3.0E which I would estimate is about as powerful as a 3000+ and it's great. Not CPU limited in the least.

Back