~350 for a new comp(CPU, Mobo, Ram)

Frank Master Flash

Limp Gawd
I'm piecing together a new system for a buddy of mine and am looking to get a pretty respectable system for about 350-370. All he really needs is CPU, Mobo, and Ram. He is going to hold off on the video card till he gets more money so I was thinking that I would go PCI express and just give him a low end $35 card for the time being so he can get a faster card down the road. He has been using a MX4000 for a while and has been fine with it so i'm guessing that a low end card won't be bad for the time being. I was wondering if this stuff would be good for a respectable system:

Opteron 144 Does the HSF come with this or no? Also, is the Opteron Faster than the A64 3200+ or no...I'm thinking that the Opteron is faster due to the extra 512kb cache.

Asus A8N-E

Corsair Value Select DDR PC3200 2x512
or should I go 1 stick of DDR PC3200 1gig?

MSI Geforce 6200TC
Card is just temporary. Will just be used for internet/standard computing. No heavy gaming until more money is acquired.

How does this look so far. Can anyone else put together anything better for about this much money? $373?
He will NOT be overclocking. So, we're looking for a nice and stable system that is fast too boot. He is comming of a P4 1.5 w/ 512 ram so this seems like a step up for him.
TIA very much. :cool:

looks decent so far. And sence that cpu is retail, it will come with a hsf.

The 1MB cache on the Opteron does not suddenly make it faster than a 3200+ with a higher clock. However, the Opteron 144s still OC very well.

Back