$350 budget build for my buddy

erf

[H]ard|Gawd
Concerning a budget build PC, which will mainly be used for browsing/movies/light gaming; Is there any reason to look at AMD's platform over Intel at the moment?

Usually AMD platforms are cheaper, although usually not as much of a performer as Intel. In my opinion, that the main reason.

I've been seeing some Phenoms on sale lately that are very definitely worthy of a low budget build. As mentioned in another thread, the ram is gonna cost ya. This is if you're going discrete graphics.

The Pentiums are supposed to be pretty decent, though I have no personal experience with the SB or IB Pentiums. They are in the $70s. Going this route will allow for some better upgrades later on if that's on the menu.

If it's not a pc that needs to do much heavy lifting, you've got a pretty extensive options list.

It's when people use "light gaming" that throws me off because each person has a different definition for that little wrench in the gears.

If you're in the states you have some really decent choices online at the moment going either route. If it's really light gaming, AMD apu might be a viable option. It may also have the most bang for the buck. Where you save on the apu+mobo you will be able to get a better PSU and case etc. I love the extremely tight budget builds, you have to be creative.

Concerning a budget build PC, which will mainly be used for browsing/movies/light gaming; Is there any reason to look at AMD's platform over Intel at the moment?

If you're considering using onboard video, AMD's options are much better than Intel's. AMD-based motherboards also have more features compared to similarly priced Intel-based boards.

If you're using a discrete video card, however, even Intel's dual-core Core i3 processors are competitive in gaming benchmarks compared to most AMD quad-cores.

As an aside, $350 is generally very restrictive towards a complete computer tower. Have you tried looking for a sale on a prebuilt system?

Newegg usually comes out with some great low-budget build combos... be on the lookout for those.

heck, if its light use, then try one of amd apu's or intel's haswell. Both are great for casual gaming and are cheaper than buying a dedicated gpu. I would give AMD's apu lineup a consideration. The graphics in the A4 are superior the hd2500 in the g1610, but the intel g1610, is a superior cpu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116889&Tpk=g1610&IsVirtualParent=1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113343

I figure that at $45 each, you save the cost of buying a dedicated graphics and both should be ok for light gaming and youtube.

then just find a cheap motherboard, 4 gigs ram, psu, and you're good to go. Easily under $350.

Last edited:
Back