343 Industries Explains 20GB Day One Patch

HardOCP News

[H] News
Half the game on disc, half the game is a download? Welcome to the world of current-gen consoles.

According to O'Connor, that 20GB of data is not a fix for in-game issues, but is instead game content that would have otherwise required that the game ship on multiple Blu-ray discs. "The game is designed to run as a single, unified product, digital is seamless obviously, but we also wanted disc users to have the same experience, without swapping discs," O'Connor told one irate fan.

Sounds like a piracy protection scheme.
Indeed. Dual-layer Blu-ray holds up to 50GB of data, so if half the game is a download that is 20GB, then the other half on disc must be 20GB. 20+20=40, last time I checked. This is ignoring BDXL, which can hold up to 128GB...

either way his comment still makes no sense.. why not an install disc, then a play disc.. you dont have swap then! I imagine the bluray can still read decently faster then a decent percentage of players internet.

either way his comment still makes no sense.. why not an install disc, then a play disc.. you dont have swap then! I imagine the bluray can still read decently faster then a decent percentage of players internet.

lol.. thjey did two discs (one install and one play) with halo 4...

I'm pretty sure I read the disc has 40+ GB on it so the extra 20gb being a download make sense but I'd rather them make a 2 disc option for those that can't download 20gb. Not everyone is privy to high speed or decent bandwidth caps.

Yet another reason this generation of consoles has been the most disappointing I can remember.
The dumb things that both of them (and the developers) are doing just keep piling up.

Downloading additional files to play a game..on a PC I can understand.
On a console, F*CK that! Consoles are suppose to be stand alone self contained devices.

Jesus, 20GB day 1 download.

LMAO.

Imagine having to DL that over some shitty 5mb dsl or cable line.

Downloading additional files to play a game..on a PC I can understand.
On a console, F*CK that! Consoles are suppose to be stand alone self contained devices.

The last gen of consoles killed gaming. All about DLC and in game purchases. They just shovel games out the door and patch them as they go since it is all about generating non-stop revenue. When I heard kids buy minecraft games cards for shit like swords and armor I almost shit myself. Here is a game that allows you to put some time in and get everything you want, but they have managed to to DLC/in game purchase a sandbox game.

Now this gen has MASSIVE games, and corresponding massive downloads.

Child: Dad! The game needs internet.
Dad: Billy, game consoles don't need internet.
Child: But, it says I need internet to play the game.
Child: Can I just try to hook it up?
Dad: How much was the game, $60?
Dad: I'll just go return the game and get you all the Halo's for that Xbox 180.
Child: It's 360, and nobody in school plays 360 anymore.
Dad: It's that or no more Halo's for you. Besides nobody can remember the password to the router anymore. Cable guys says we can't change it.

Child: Dad! The game needs internet.
Dad: Billy, game consoles don't need internet.
Child: But, it says I need internet to play the game.
Child: Can I just try to hook it up?
Dad: How much was the game, $60?
Dad: I'll just go return the game and get you all the Halo's for that Xbox 180.
Child: It's 360, and nobody in school plays 360 anymore.
Dad: It's that or no more Halo's for you. Besides nobody can remember the password to the router anymore. Cable guys says we can't change it.

LMAO nice.

LMAO.

Thanks!! I was going to say the same thing (I have 5 meg WiMAX) except I was going to leave out the 'shitty' part, lol.

LMAO.

I have a shitty 5Mbps DSL line.. no fucking thank you! Although it's better than my BIL who brings his computer over here every time he buys an older game. "Got Call of Duty Battlefield, and another one... but you have to download it through steam" all because he has a shitty satellite connection with a very small data cap.

Indeed. Dual-layer Blu-ray holds up to 50GB of data, so if half the game is a download that is 20GB, then the other half on disc must be 20GB. 20+20=40, last time I checked. This is ignoring BDXL, which can hold up to 128GB...

Yeah lets ignore the cost of said discs. Ok lets not, a consumer 100+GB bluray disc is $40 a piece, as opposed to less than 5. Yup its not unreasonable at all to expect them to be manufactured on $40 discs when it retails for 59.99 :rolleyes:

They make it so fat asses don't have to get off the couch and change discs and people complain. If the had multiple discs you would still bitch. Some of you are so entitled and whiney its pathetic.

Meanwhile on my 50Mb connection, ill chew through that 20 gigs in less than 10 minutes.

Yeah lets ignore the cost of said discs. Ok lets not, a consumer 100+GB bluray disc is $40 a piece, as opposed to less than 5. Yup its not unreasonable at all to expect them to be manufactured on $40 discs when it retails for 59.99 :rolleyes:

Do they really cost $40 per disc to be manufactured? That number seems unreasonably high considering BluRay's been out for almost a decade now...

Watch what happens to their servers the first day the game launches... I bet we're going to have another fiasco where people can't play the game for the first couple of days.

Why does it even need to be so large anyway? Is it another one of those deals where the game is small and its 30gb of uncompressed audio?

Watch what happens to their servers the first day the game launches... I bet we're going to have another fiasco where people can't play the game for the first couple of days.

Why does it even need to be so large anyway? Is it another one of those deals where the game is small and its 30gb of uncompressed audio?

How do people not realize that this is a collection of multiple games all with their own assets? If one 1080p Xbox game takes up the majority of a bluray why shouldn't multiple games take up more?

Do they really cost $40 per disc to be manufactured? That number seems unreasonably high considering BluRay's been out for almost a decade now...
BDXL is actually relatively new, made in response to "demand" for 4k video. 100GB BDXL discs for consumers are around $10 a piece. If you're buying in bulk, like say around 500,000, I'm sure you get a discount :p.

5mb dsl?! Wow thats nice! ATT dsl only gives me 75kb download =/

I think you mean 75 kB which is ~600kb that would be inline with a 768kb DSL connection after overhead and shitty wire is factored in.

I'm actually a little surprised at the amount of ignorant piling-on in this thread. Things around here are usually wrapped up in a lot more logic than this.

The servers for this 20GB download on day 1 will be just fine. It's coming out of the Xbox Live servers, not some new games servers that have not been thoroughly stress tested. Xbox Live has had downtime in the past, but very rarely and for very specific scenarios (Christmas crash was the big one I believe).

Including a second disk would not have meant required disk swapping after the install. That's just stupid. Plenty of games have come on several disks where all of them after the first were simply install disks. Since Xbox One does installs for ALL games, then it's kind of a no-brainer to have a second disk that delivers that data to the HDD of the console instead of an internet connection.

While this does not impact me much personally, I can still see why it would suck for people with crappy connections. Too bad you can't simply skip the download, since it's apparently all of the multiplayer assets, if you have no intention of playing multiplayer. Players who simply want to play the campaigns, and have super crappy internet, are going to feel some pain.. no doubt about it.

Don't console games know how cheap hard drives are? Don't consoles do preloads? You can't buy a version with 2 discs to install locally? Consoles lol

They make it so fat asses don't have to get off the couch and change discs and people complain. If the had multiple discs you would still bitch. Some of you are so entitled and whiney its pathetic.

Meanwhile on my 50Mb connection, ill chew through that 20 gigs in less than 10 minutes.

take you about 53 minutes on a 50Mb connection.

Somebody is not telling the truth. The switch to blu-ray was to not have to download extra content. Those on metered internet lines will not be happy. I'm taking a guess it's a day 1 patch because they manage to screw up something before printing.

I hope this is a joke. :eek:

I fuckin' knew it would be Frankie "explaining" this. This guy has been bullshitting for Bungie and 343 since H2.

This is insulting. They're ripping you off and telling you how great it is to be ripped off. Either ship two discs or sell it digital only. A lot of people don't have internet capable of downloading 20GB in a reasonable timeframe and this makes resale effectively impossible.

If you got 5MB/s download the whole time, it would take you ~7.5 minutes on your connection.

It's not
http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/a...wnload-halo-master-chief-collection-right-now
45GB on disc 20GB for download 65GB game size. Really wasn't that hard to look up. Plus the whole thing that the disc that support BDXL are insanely expensive.

You can download and get playing start craft in a little over 1GB, the rest of the 20+ GB can stream in as you need it. Why cant 343 do this? Because they are incompetent.

You can download and get playing start craft in a little over 1GB, the rest of the 20+ GB can stream in as you need it. Why cant 343 do this? Because they are incompetent.
Gets a little more complicated because it's a Halo collection, 4 games, meaning they may not share enough base assets for you to just start it up after loading a few things. Gets a ton more complicated because have you ever loaded up starcraft II with only a gig, you can only do like first mission of single player not all that great.

Back