34", 3440x1440 Resolution - pixels are just too darn small for Windows 10 and office work...

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
I've used this Alienware 34" gaming monitor primarily for gaming for close to 1.5 years now. I really like it, but the pixels are too small for office work. I've been working from home more lately and I'm using it double duty as an office monitor. Windows 10 scaling still sucks (text gets blurry). I know this is subjective.

If you feel the same way and have moved to a different monitor, what type of monitor are you using?

The Alienware AW3418DW, 3440x1440, I have now is rated at 109PPI.

I was thinking a bit bigger display might be nice in the same format, but the 38" at 3840x1600 is actually a little smaller PPI at 110PPI, so that's out.

I think my favorite PPI so far was my Dell 3014 at 100.63 PPI. That was just about perfect, alas they don't seem to make 30" with gaming features - and I use my PC a lot for gaming - so that's out.

I had some three Omen 32" 2560x1440 that I thought worked pretty well for Office use, MAYBE a smidge too big a pixel at - 91 PPI, but ultimately that was just TOOOOOO much real estate width at over 81" wide in using three monitors. Moving my mouse and eyes across that much width was too much for desktop office work. (Glorious though for racing/flying sims with Eyefinity)

I suspect three 27" 1080P monitors might have been the better choice for office work, but that PPI is getting pretty big at 81 PPI.

I owned a 35" Acer with 2560x1080 resolution that the pixels were subjectively way too big - 79 PPI.

I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess I'm thinking of picking up a new monitor since I'm working from home more, and something between that 85 PPI and 100 PPI seems about my happy place.

Accepting recommendations.

Last edited:
I had an LG 34" 3440x1440. Text was definitely hard on me for office work, and loss of real estate from lowering the resolution or adjusting the scaling wasn't acceptable. So I gave it to my son and bought three 27" 2560x1440 monitors. (Yes, I know that's actually higher DPI, but I scale it up some). I do most of my work on the two right monitors, and use the third one to toss stuff over to that I don't need to work on but still want to keep in sight (calendar, Skype conversations, email, etc)

Back