34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

A tip to anyone having performance and/or interface scaling issues with a 34UM95 - try creating a custom resolution of 2867 x 1200.
I did this mainly for a game I'm playing the most, ArcheAge, which has rather buggy game interface scaling, but it also seems to work and look better than Windows' default interface scaling as well.

It provides a relatively sharp image with minimal scaling ill-effects, and is actually less strenuous than 2560 x 1440, as there are ~0.2mil less pixels to render.

Things to note:
- 2867 x 1200 @ 60Hz, Progressive
- Set "Sharpness" to around "8" in the monitor's OSD
- Set "Perform scaling on" to "GPU" (Nvidia), noticeably less input lag
- Adjust ClearType settings in Windows

So would people choose 21:9 over 4k now for gaming?

Considering you can create a custom resolution and essentially have 21:9 on a 4K display, no. If you really wanted to, you could have 21:9 just for gaming and then have the huge real estate of 4K for desktop use. But I use 4K for everything because I love the additional vertical height, and being 16:9 it's a little more widely supported in games.

I loved my 34" 21:9 monitors, but I love having a huge 4K display even more.

I would not choose a 34" ultrawide over a 40-48" 4K monitor.
I may or may not choose a 34" ultrawide over a 32" 4K monitor.
I would choose a 34" ultrawide over a 28" 4K monitor.

:)

Can anyone recommend a replacement monitor stand for the LG 34um95? I have an IKEA jerker desk and every time you type hard enough or bump the desk the monitor starts wobbling around. I'm hoping a new monitor stand will offer some more support then the stock base that it came with. Anyone have experience with a third party stand that reduces the wobble?

Can anyone recommend a replacement monitor stand for the LG 34um95? I have an IKEA jerker desk and every time you type hard enough or bump the desk the monitor starts wobbling around. I'm hoping a new monitor stand will offer some more support then the stock base that it came with. Anyone have experience with a third party stand that reduces the wobble?

Don't have this particular monitor but I've had a little luck in the past using 3M command strips to keep stuff steadyish. You could try buying the heavy duty ones and velcro that bitch down.

Considering you can create a custom resolution and essentially have 21:9 on a 4K display, no. If you really wanted to, you could have 21:9 just for gaming and then have the huge real estate of 4K for desktop use. But I use 4K for everything because I love the additional vertical height, and being 16:9 it's a little more widely supported in games.

I loved my 34" 21:9 monitors, but I love having a huge 4K display even more.

I would not choose a 34" ultrawide over a 40-48" 4K monitor.
I may or may not choose a 34" ultrawide over a 32" 4K monitor.
I would choose a 34" ultrawide over a 28" 4K monitor.

:)

IDK, I tried 2560x1080 on my 2560x1440 display and it didn't look right. Not sure if it was due to Nvidia's scaling but it definitely didn't look 1 to 1 to me.

IDK, I tried 2560x1080 on my 2560x1440 display and it didn't look right. Not sure if it was due to Nvidia's scaling but it definitely didn't look 1 to 1 to me.

Who knows. I read recently that GPU scaling can be kind of icky and sometimes it's best to let the monitor do it. Someone in the big Samsung thread posted pics running 21:9 on his display, and it looked good.

Personally, I don't really see the point. I'm not going to buy a big 16:9 monitor to run 21:9 and lose half of the screen to black bars on the top and bottom. But I guess if someone really wanted that extra FOV, it's an option..

Received a Dell U3415W this morning, 745 Euro, and can contribute with some comments:

DELL U3415W versus LG34UM

This is my first Dell product, replacing a Philips and LG monitor setup. Have been considering a 21:9 since last summer, but main problem there were no models with a solid and functional stand. The reasons I selected the Dell was in priority, apart from the curve:

1. The stand, very solid, adjustment in height, tilt, horizontal - a 10kg monitor require a solid stand.
2. Its a Dell, high quality brand, 3 years of on site warranty, 3 years pixel warrenty.
3. Design, stance, quality.
4. Assumption I can get a similar also in 2-3 years, as Dell products have a long life cycle.
5. 2 x 9 watt speakers, hidden.
6. Second gen 21:9 from Dell ---> experienced monitor.
7. Many small things adding up; no power brick, Vesa mount, connectivity, connectors turning down, cover plate for the connector area, the genius design of the horizontal vent not prone to dust entering and adds to the sleek design.

I think the Dell is really a no brainer. The closest competitor is the Samsung S34E790, but the stand seems to miss horizontal adjustment, and cost 934 euro.

As to curve or not - Im glad I went for the curved, flat now looks outdated and the curve is really making sense at this width and viewing distance - will never buy a non 21:9 and non curved monitor again - there is no way back . why buy the past.
I think if you go for a non-curved, you will be reminded every day of the wrong choise, and eventually buy a curved one.

Apart from the above - the Dell is simply in another class when it comes to stance, quality, product refinement and appearance.

CONNECTING A 21:9 TO A LAPTOP

Apart from problem selecting which model, connecting is another problem. Before you run out and buy adapters, or a new computer - hook the monitor up and see.

I use a Lenovo G580, i3-3110M, 8GB RAM, HD 4000 graphics only, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. Using a standard non-plated HDMI cable works just fine. You need to install the driver, and remember to REBOOT, with the monitor connected, and you will boot into 3440x1440.

I find the setting 2560x1080 is a better choice, as 3440x1440 gives tiny fonts and graphics - 2560x1080 gives a native and right picture on the Dell using the HD 4000 graphics.

( Also connected this Dell U3415W via same HDMI cable to a ThinkPad S440, i3-4010U, HD 4400 graphics only, downgraded to Windows 7 prof SP1. No need to install anything, worked right away in 3440x1440 and 2560x1080 )

GAMING

We tested various 21:9 trailers on YouTube of high end games, in HD. "Call of Duty" looked amazing. There is no visual difference in graphics details and visual experience between 3440x1440 and 2560x1080 setting on a game like Call of Duty. But frames are missing from time to time in the high resolution setting in a game demo on YouTube like GTA V PC "Cruising Around Town" 60fps - 2560x1080 is running this video as we see it about flawless. We have yet to download the demo games and test. Running in low res, frame rate can for sure be at least 50% higher.

Bottom line, no need to run in high resolution, and perhaps you just might not need to buy another computer or a USB 3.0 to DP adapter.

VERDICT

I say this monitor from Dell is the defacto benchmark within 21:9 PC monitors today - also within PC monitors in general.

I was actually a bit disappointed when setting up this 34" - I expected 4 cm higher and 9 cm wider - I even checked the box to make sure this was really a 34" model - when a 40" is available from Dell, I will definitely consider to upgrade. But am very happy with this new world of monitor over the old two monitor setup, solves important problems I had for many years as to productivity. Another I think important improvement, is the desk is much more clean and "good looking" - my wife is very pleased and did not complain about the 745 euro for a new monitor ;-)

Last edited:

I say it must be your Nvidia (or your monitor) - since using 2560 x 1080 looks very native and right using the internal HD 4000 graphics and the Dell.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone has ran into this problem. Probably have but my memory has failed. Anyway I changed the res on my LG34UM95 from the native 3440x1440 to 1920x1080 just to see how it looked. I switched back to 3440x1440 and the screen split. Left side normal but riight half blacked out. I been trying like hell to get it to un split. Cant tell if its a monitor issue or a Windows 7 issue. resolution adjusts on right side but left side still dark or bank if that's a better description. LG manual pretty useless I have found. Not using the LG software either. Its probably a easy fix but its beyond me unfortunately. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It has stayed that way after rebooting? Are you able to reset the monitor control panel? Are you using more than 1 video cable?

It has stayed that way after rebooting? Are you able to reset the monitor control panel? Are you using more than 1 video cable?

I have rebooted. Using just the DP cable that came with the monitor. Not sure why it went into a split type screen. It shouldn't have. Have never had a problem with it. It has to be something simple but I just can't figure it out. Manual is worthless. They just assume you know what they know like many manuals are these days. Also the monitor reset didn't do anything.

Last edited:
I have rebooted. Using just the DP cable that came with the monitor. Not sure why it went into a split type screen. It shouldn't have. Have never had a problem with it. It has to be something simple but I just can't figure it out. Manual is worthless. They just assume you know what they know like many manuals are these days.

Could always try LG support. They were great when I called them, although I spoke to the commercial side (34UM94).

Also, looks like this guy on OCN had the same issue. Check the thread out and see if he was able to resolve it:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1476919/lg-34um95-and-lg-34um65-owners-club/440

Check out post 443 (third one down) where he describes the issue.

Just bought the u3415w. This is my first curved ultrawide. I sit about 1.5 ft away. I noticed a bit of a 3d effect going on at the edges. Is this normal? Video for example.

https://youtu.be/RJfK6tcULvc

its not a 3d effect.

Your eyes are trained to adjust for the image at the edges of a monitor being farther away than the image in the middle. So at first, the curved effect of the monitor will give you this feeling. After awhile, it just seems natural

Just got my 34UM95 last week (for $750...steal!)

Love it.

KZrYTK4.jpg

its not a 3d effect.

Your eyes are trained to adjust for the image at the edges of a monitor being farther away than the image in the middle. So at first, the curved effect of the monitor will give you this feeling. After awhile, it just seems natural

It has been bothering me too. To me it looks like it's because there's some distance between backlight and image on screen. And when you are not directly looking at it, image doesn't get backlight at the edges.

Do other ultrawides have the same "effect"?

It has been bothering me too. To me it looks like it's because there's some distance between backlight and image on screen. And when you are not directly looking at it, image doesn't get backlight at the edges.

Do other ultrawides have the same "effect"?

This is exactly what I am experiencing. I am typing it on the U3415W now and I just can't seem to "adjust" to it. It actually cuts off half of the scroll bar on the browser. It may be getting returned..

Ha, I'm surprised that you full screen your browser all the way on the right anyways... Are you using the Dell display manager?

At any rate, you'll notice that as you pull your face further away from the screen, that effect is less prominent. Seems 2.5-3.5' is the best viewing distance.

I received mine this week and coupled it with a new X99 Build. I'm absolutely loving the U3415w.

aw3h8MQ.jpg

More here: http://imgur.com/a/yKvkJ

So if you look at the edges does it give you the same effect (offset backlight)? The monitor is beautiful and I don't want to return it if it is normal and I am just sitting too close..

It's normal, and yes - for instance if you look at the text of the Recycle Bin on your desktop, it appears as if the text is in front of the bezel. It's normal, and pretty cool actually.

Alright thanks! Ill try and move it further away and see if that helps. Just glad to know its normal. I had it boxed up and ready to go back. I'll give it a few more days.

It's normal, and yes - for instance if you look at the text of the Recycle Bin on your desktop, it appears as if the text is in front of the bezel. It's normal, and pretty cool actually.

Wow, I never noticed that. You guys sit that close to the display?

I just set mine down exactly where I had my 27".

Ha, I don't -- but some do I suppose. I just noticed it while looking closely for dead pixels. (found none)

How close do you guys sit to your screen to notice that? Damn.

I sit about an arms length + a bit away from my screen (not exactly tall though so probably the arm length of a 6ft man).

If I want to play a game at 1920x1080, and have the 34um95 keep the 16:9 ratio but add black bars, how do I do this? In the Witcher 3 for example, if I choose 1920x1080 the monitor scales it to 21:9 which makes it look horrible.

Does any of the 34" curved have glossy display? I LOVE glossy displays and have been trying to find one all my life, but for some reason its always sold out or i find a better deal. I want them like ipad glossy.

Does any of the 34" curved have glossy display? I LOVE glossy displays and have been trying to find one all my life, but for some reason its always sold out or i find a better deal. I want them like ipad glossy.

I don't think so, but you can get the Samsung 40" curved 4K UN40JU6700 for $949 which is less than the current price of the LG, Samsung, and Dell curved 34" ultrawides. :)

Had to sell off my ROG Swift x3 surround because of the oil price crash, but luckily microcenter had a poorly packaged return U3415W for a really good price

I figured, why not give it a try. Can return it if I still haven't found anything

Once I plugged it in, I immediately shook my head......in disbelief/humor

This terror craze over backlight bleed is SOOO overblown. Monitor had some backlight bleed in the corners, but the monitor was on MAX brightness (news flash people, factory brightness is always way too high). Turned down to appropriate levels, it was much better

and more importantly, it hardly matters to 90% of users. I'm sorry, but I don't understand all this fear-mongering of backlight bleed. My computer room is ALWAYS in the dark (don't like lights at all), and it just flat out isn't noticeable (let alone distracting) in real world usage. games, productivity, etc

but thank you person who bought into the silly backlight bleed terror - because that got me a U3415W cheaper than an LG UM95. Thank you very much :D

Hi guys !
I thought I would share a video of a freshly installed Lightpack on my UM65 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ABH4Yruqk

Overall, it looks great, except for the white led color which is cold whereas my monitor is set on warm, and 2 more led strip would have been ideal to "fill" the bottom of the monitor...

Hi guys !
I thought I would share a video of a freshly installed Lightpack on my UM65 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ABH4Yruqk

Overall, it looks great, except for the white led color which is cold whereas my monitor is set on warm, and 2 more led strip would have been ideal to "fill" the bottom of the monitor...

I've done the same thing with Phillips Hue lights for my main TV. The lights you have there seam too bright, but it might just be the video.

I'm looking to pick one of them up next month now that I picked up a GTX970.

How's the backlight bleeding on the dell 3415w. Have they managed to fix or reduce it with the curved nature of the screen?

I've done the same thing with Phillips Hue lights for my main TV. The lights you have there seam too bright, but it might just be the video.

I'm looking to pick one of them up next month now that I picked up a GTX970.

The video's been shot from a mobile phone, hence the excessive brightness.

Did you use a hack to use Hue as Ambilight ? I remember reading somthing on that kind of hack.

Anyone use two if these for gaming? Thinking of getting a couple for my new dual 980 tis.

Go one or three but not two. Just my own opinion. :)

I totally agree.

And on these, three just seems waaayyy too wide to be realistically usable.

I know people are tired of me saying it but Climber, consider a 40" 4K. Your dual 980Ti setup begs for 4K, and a 40" is both wider and taller, so your field of vision will be immersed in gaming goodness. :) You won't gain any extra FOV in games, but it's well worth the tradeoff.

Or, wait for the Acer 34" IPS that will have higher refresh rate and G-Sync.

Waiting for my Dell U3415W to be delivered. Replacing my Dell U3011. Running EVGA GTX SLI 780 TI Classified's.

Back