34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

I am the purchaser of the display. Unfortunately, it's not an April Fool's joke...

This is only noticeable on an solid black screen/background. It is visible even when the monitor is not plugged into a source. I believe it to be a cluster of sub-pixels since they are small.

thelead:

Does that pattern span the entire display, or is it just in certain patches/spots?

FWIW, here are the pics that I sent him prior to the sale. Unfortunately they aren't close-ups.

http://i.imgur.com/MrGrtmm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VyL697K.jpg

I'm at a loss. I didn't get my Heatware rep by selling faulty hardware. Had the thing looked like that when it was in my possession, I would have been engaging Massdrop or LG for a warranty exchange. Which might be the route we're headed if we can't get this figured out. But, it's only been a few hours. I'd like to see if anyone else has input.

Thanks again, guys.

Quick Google comes up with a similar issue (though completely different monitor):

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=25762152

I've never seen physical/shipping damage produce this effect, as those usually look like psychedelic broken glass (see http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lcd+panel+damage).

I'm thinking it was manufactured this way. I have 20/15 vision, so I caught it immediately. I will admit, if one doesn't have perfect eyesight and sits more than 2 feet back, you would never see it. Unfortunately, I have great eyesight and sit ~20 inches from my monitors.

thelead:

Does that pattern span the entire display, or is it just in certain patches/spots?

Just one patch about 1.5"x6". It fades just as the link from OC describes.

BTW, we are only discussing this all here to get to the bottom of it. imyourzero has been 100% up front and I don't believe he was trying to scam me.

I have better than 20/20 myself, and sit approximately 2' away from my displays. And I'm very picky when it comes to things like that. There's no way that I wouldn't have seen it.

Thank you for keeping this civil; I'm glad to see that there are no accusations from any side.

I do not believe that the buyer is pulling a scam. He was somewhat hesitant to purchase it and asked tons of questions before payment was sent. If he had a bad panel that he wanted to swap with mine, he would have likely rushed in to do the deal. That's definitely not how it went down. :)

Bah. :( That stinks. I don't know what else to try/suggest.

thelead: I won't be up too much longer, so I'll PM you tomorrow and we'll get this straightened out.

Thanks everyone and sorry for cluttering the thread but I figured that it would be a good source of info. If nothing else, maybe someone in the future will come across this if they're experiencing a similar issue.

Kinda glad you posted the pics here, imyourzero, and my apologies @ jumping to conclusions about scamming, thelead. Had never seen this before Googling around in response to the pics you took.

If for some reason it can't be RMA'd, let me know how low you'd be willing to let it go for. Transitioning from 34UM95 to Philips 40" 4K (Phillips should be here next week), but I love the 34UM95 so much I'd purchase it again.

Stuff like this is why I only trade on hardforum these days. Shit does happen and its nice to see adults acting and handling things like adults. Asking for advice is never a bad thing.

Been burned on ocn and almost burned by a mod on ocn (really going to make me eat paypal fees for a group buy where I'm not making a dime?).

To people who had both the flat and the curve..

Is the experience that much different?

I'm considering going for the U3415W, and am wondering if it is worth the extra..

Hey guys just want to say I'm amazed and impressed you 2 kept it very civil and cool. If this is shipping damage you guys have 3 avenues.

1. Longer approach, You got that 'insurance and paid him extra in the deal right?' if you did keep that packaging and file a claim asap.

2. Did you get another warranty? If so start work on filing

3. Heard LG is bad at RMA'ing why I went for dell's ( sent loads of of them back and forth in cross shipments) as they are amazong in next day cross shipment replacements in their premium monitors.

One thing to try, and it's a real long shot: add a ferrite ring to the power cable, and possible the video input.
An evenly distributed pattern of interference screams 'HF noise'. If it's leaking in somewhere in the signal line heading to the panel, it could manifest as a spatial pattern. I'd normally expect it to be right across the panel though, hence it being a long-shot.

Anyone figure out how to prevent Windows 8.1 from re-arranging window sizes when turning the 34UM95 off?

Also still having problems with the monitor "disconnecting" on sleep power off and my windows rearranging to the corner. I've tried the registry modifications mentioned earlier in this thread but they did not help. I've also tried both DP version settings. I've also tried installing the monitor INF driver from the Korean website. Did not help at all.

Also still having problems with the monitor "disconnecting" on sleep power off and my windows rearranging to the corner. I've tried the registry modifications mentioned earlier in this thread but they did not help. I've also tried both DP version settings. I've also tried installing the monitor INF driver from the Korean website. Did not help at all.

Yep, DP for me has a plethora of errors.

Luckily I have a GTX 970 so I'm using HDMI 2.0, which eliminates problems..

CALLING ALL 34UM94/95 OWNERS

Hey guys, I need your assistance with something.

I just sold my 34UM94 here on the forums and the buyer received it today. He PM'd me a bit ago claiming that there are a ton of stuck pixels, and sent these pics:

http://i.imgur.com/NKHu7bp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cOOmiY3.jpg

Now, two things:

First, I never saw anything like that. There is no way that I would have kept the monitor as is if it had a bunch of bright dots like that.

Second, I don't think there's any way that those can be stuck pixels. I told him that stuck pixels typically occur either individually, or in clumps/groups. The pixels in the pics are very evenly spaced, like a pattern.

What could be causing this? He said he has tried DP and HDMI inputs, and has tried switching between DP 1.1 and DP 1.2 on the monitor.

I feel like we're missing something. Something is suspect here. I never, ever saw anything even remotely close to resembling that.

I really hope someone else here has seen this artifacting or might know what could cause it.

Thanks in advance!

Was this resolved? Curious to know the source of the issue, if it was discerned.

Was this resolved? Curious to know the source of the issue, if it was discerned.

We should find out tomorrow. LG is sending a technician on site to diagnose/troubleshoot the issue.

I have to say, I was kind of dreading dealing with LG after some of the things that I had read regarding their support. But so far, this experience has exceeded my expectations by a long shot.

Apparently it's true that the 34UM94 is classified as the commercial version of the 34UM95. Last Friday, I called the commercial support line and someone picked up quickly. The gentleman was very friendly; I asked where he was located and he said Huntsville, AL. So the simple fact that I wasn't dealing with someone overseas who was reading from a script and had difficulty understanding me was refreshing in itself.

The first guy that I talked to simply asked what was going on with the monitor; I told him that it had developed a patch of stuck pixels or sub-pixels, and that it exhibited that behavior regardless of the input or computer that it was connected to. He didn't go any more in depth than that and didn't ask me to do any further troubleshooting. He started creating a case for the incident and immediately offered either an Advanced RMA (involving a hold on a credit card) or a prepaid return label with no credit card involved (obviously we would have to send the defective unit in first and they would send a replacement). I would have gladly accepted one of those options, but he then asked for the serial number and I did not have it handy.

So I hung up, had the buyer send me the serial number of the unit, and called LG back. Got a different gentleman this time who asked for the same information, except this time he said "Oh, I see this display is eligible for on-site support!" So he dispatched a technician for the next business day (Monday), which was quite impressive since I was calling pretty late in the afternoon. Unfortunately this time did not work for the buyer, but rescheduling was not an issue. The service tech called me bright and early on Monday morning and we made another appointment for tomorrow afternoon where he will go and inspect the unit to see what's going on.

So, I don't know what the outcome will be, but I've been really impressed with the level of service that we have received from LG so far. It's better than what I have gone through with many other companies. I suppose that's the difference between the consumer version and the commercial version of the LG, because I know that some 34UM95 owners had to go to great lengths to get their monitors replaced, and some even had a hard time navigating the support process. So such was my surprise when they immediately offered a replacement and on-site service for the UM94.

I'm one. I sold my Dell 3007WFP-HC and I thought I would get used the LG 34UM95 but I do actually miss some of the vertical real estate. I'm already contemplating going to either the unreleased Philips BDM4065UC or Seiki 40" Pro.

I got the Seiki and really like it. Picture for comparison, the LG is on the right.

nE4YsWg.jpg

Update...

LG tech inspected the monitor at the buyer's place and said that he couldn't see a problem. So we're right back where we were.

Last edited:
Two questions for owners:

(1) Is the LG 4-screen split monitor software compatible with the Dell version of the display?

(2) Did LG fix the issue with the software that was allowing all other software to run in administrative mode (I.e., no UAC)?

Thanks!

Just FYI for all those who, like me, have struggled with the infuriating issue where Windows decides it's a great idea to move and resize every window on your screen whenever the res changes or when you turn the monitor off/on or wake it up:

I have been using Desksoft WindowManager as a workaround to this issue, and it works great. I configured the size/placement of all my most-used windows, and even for the windows I have not done that with, WindowManager moves everything back to its place automatically. I don't even see the windows move. It's rather awesome. My sanity is slowly returning.

Unfortunately, WindowManager is not free (it's $10 USD). But as much as this issue bothered me, I was more than happy to pay.

I'm not sure which WindowManager settings are most crucial, but I have "Start with Windows" enabled (duh), and also "Compatibility mode". If you hit the "Trigger..." button, in there I have the "Delay" set to 50, with "Screen change", "Check at program start", "Session logon", "Session lock", and "Session unlock" all enabled (everything else on that dialog disabled). I have the origin/width/height settings at 0/0/3440/1440 of course. Since it works great this way, I am not inclined to mess with it.

I had tried Actual Tools Actual Window Manager, but it worked badly, and as expensive as it is, it did not help with this issue, no matter how I configured it. It also has all sorts of bugs that drove me nuts. I had actually used AWM for years, and gave up on it over its inability to help with this problem.

But does it help with the res change issue? WindowManager does not have many features at all... But it is great at making a nasty problem seem to go away.

http://www.displayfusion.com/Compare/

Save or Restore all window locations

Function to load saved Desktop Icon Profiles

You can also hotkey window placement, alignment, and exact number of pixels.

http://www.displayfusion.com/Discussions/View/ability-to-specify-window-size/?ID=1571bdaa-f53f-4658-b952-f59effeec912

http://www.displayfusion.com/Discussions/Download/?ID=c0a88146-e202-433b-8a90-42d226682dc6

The app also has scripting which you can do a lot with if you read up on it in the forums.

http://www.displayfusion.com/ScriptedFunctions/View/?ID=ecd0626e-800f-40b7-8674-6e3aaa0d25e9
Description:
This script will save your window positions, then load a Monitor Profile, and then restore the window positions. It's useful on systems where Windows decides to shuffle around your open applications when the monitor configuration changes. Note that this script is only useful if you're switching between monitor profiles where the primary monitor is the same monitor, since the window positions are saved based on their X,Y location, which is calculated starting at the top-left corner of the primary monitor.

Last edited:
I realized that it has the save/restore feature, but so does Actual Window Manager, and it's not nearly as helpful as WindowManager, mainly because it's too dumb to be triggered by res changes or session unlocks.

What I was asking is if DisplayFusion's save/restore function actually works seamlessly with this particular issue like WindowManager does. I don't want to have to hit a hotkey constantly. But never mind, I'll try it out myself. Thanks.

Has anyone found a fix for the vertical tear that rarely happens down the center of the screen? I assume it's normal as I've seen others report the same but never found a fix. I'd assume 90% of people wouldn't even notice it and i'm still thinking it's due to the monitor having 2 controllers.

Last edited:
Anyone using a gtx980 at this resolution?

I sold my 290x while waiting for the 390x to come out. Picked up a gtx770 as a temp card. Already itching to grab another card though. Wondering if I should just grab a gtx980 ~$500 now or wait for a 390x/390.

I found that one 980 ran all of my games smoothly at 4K - even GTA V. So it should be fine for 3440x1440 (I used a GTX 970 with my 34" and was very pleased).

But if the 390X is just around the corner, might as well wait for that. Even if it comes out and doesn't shatter the 980's performance, it should push prices down a little.

But if the 390X is just around the corner, might as well wait for that. Even if it comes out and doesn't shatter the 980's performance, it should push prices down a little.

Exactly what the reasonable side of me is thinking. A gtx980 in the $400 range sounds perfect.

Anyone using a gtx980 at this resolution?

I sold my 290x while waiting for the 390x to come out. Picked up a gtx770 as a temp card. Already itching to grab another card though. Wondering if I should just grab a gtx980 ~$500 now or wait for a 390x/390.

I own a 980 and Titan X...

The 980 will be OK but you won't max 10-15% of titles at 60fps with any non-gimmicky AA. The Titan X will turn that into about 1%. GTA V being the biggest offender, a couple settings in that are really hard to run. 3440x1440 is roughly ~30% more pixels than 1440p, which isn't exactly a walk in the park itself ;)

I found that one 980 ran all of my games smoothly at 4K - even GTA V. So it should be fine for 3440x1440 (I used a GTX 970 with my 34" and was very pleased).

I think you might be exaggerating just a little with "smoothly" unless you consider 30fps smooth or are turning down quite a few settings in some titles. I wouldn't say my Titan X smoothly plays GTA V at 3440x1440 even with grass and reflections turned down a setting. I have to turn off 2x MSAA to get smooth FPS in town, but the country side is still mid 40s. I had to turn down a heck of a lot of settings on a 980 with GTA V @ 4K to achieve even 30+ FPS minimums.

If you want to near-max games with no AA @ 60FPS than a 980 will do OK usually. If the goal is maxed with AA @ 60FPS, than Titan X or similar SLI setup in my honest opinion. The new consoles are pushing out some pretty demanding PC games, with Witcher 3 right around the corner.

Last edited:
CALLING ALL 34UM94/95 OWNERS

Hey guys, I need your assistance with something.

I just sold my 34UM94 here on the forums and the buyer received it today. He PM'd me a bit ago claiming that there are a ton of stuck pixels, and sent these pics:

http://i.imgur.com/NKHu7bp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cOOmiY3.jpg

Now, two things:

First, I never saw anything like that. There is no way that I would have kept the monitor as is if it had a bunch of bright dots like that.

Second, I don't think there's any way that those can be stuck pixels. I told him that stuck pixels typically occur either individually, or in clumps/groups. The pixels in the pics are very evenly spaced, like a pattern.

What could be causing this? He said he has tried DP and HDMI inputs, and has tried switching between DP 1.1 and DP 1.2 on the monitor.

I feel like we're missing something. Something is suspect here. I never, ever saw anything even remotely close to resembling that.

I really hope someone else here has seen this artifacting or might know what could cause it.

Thanks in advance!
I had a very similar issue with another LG monitor some years ago, I made a thread here about it with some close-ups (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1611328), since I found someone with an HP monitor showing the same issue on this forum (link to that thread in mine). But no-one had an answer back then, and I never found out what caused it.
I got rid of that monitor years ago, but it still nags me that I never found out.

Last edited:
I think you might be exaggerating just a little with "smoothly" unless you consider 30fps smooth or are turning down quite a few settings in some titles. I wouldn't say my Titan X smoothly plays GTA V at 3440x1440 even with grass and reflections turned down a setting. I have to turn off 2x MSAA to get smooth FPS in town, but the country side is still mid 40s. I had to turn down a heck of a lot of settings on a 980 with GTA V @ 4K to achieve even 30+ FPS minimums.

Smooth to me can be less than 60fps; the main thing is that there shouldn't be stutter/jerkiness or big fluctuations in frame rate. If need be, I always turn down or give up AA in order to keep settings dialed in at High/Very High/Ultra or whatever the game offers but I'll be honest; my backlog is huge so I tend to run a year or two behind on games and so far, I haven't had any issues with performance. I have SLI 980s now but I can say with certainty that one 980 did very well in anything I played. I've recently been playing Alien: Isolation, Batman: Arkham City, and GTA V so take that for what it's worth.

Tyrindor said:
If you want to near-max games with no AA @ 60FPS than a 980 will do OK usually. If the goal is maxed with AA @ 60FPS, than Titan X or similar SLI setup in my honest opinion. The new consoles are pushing out some pretty demanding PC games, with Witcher 3 right around the corner.

Exactly. This is all I was trying to say, except rather than focus on benchmarks and frame rate numbers I just play the game and decide for myself if it feels fluid. If it feels like it's bogging down then I reduce settings, but I very rarely have to do that because A) like I said, my backlog tends to keep me from playing most things Day One, with GTA V being an exception and B) I don't care about maxxing AA in every title as the performance hit usually isn't worth the improvement at high resolutions like 4K (IMO). It's one of the easiest things to turn down or off and still have the game look great with max textures, draw distance, etc. etc.

Smooth to me can be less than 60fps; the main thing is that there shouldn't be stutter/jerkiness or big fluctuations in frame rate. If need be, I always turn down or give up AA in order to keep settings dialed in at High/Very High/Ultra or whatever the game offers but I'll be honest; my backlog is huge so I tend to run a year or two behind on games and so far, I haven't had any issues with performance. I have SLI 980s now but I can say with certainty that one 980 did very well in anything I played. I've recently been playing Alien: Isolation, Batman: Arkham City, and GTA V so take that for what it's worth.

Exactly. This is all I was trying to say, except rather than focus on benchmarks and frame rate numbers I just play the game and decide for myself if it feels fluid. If it feels like it's bogging down then I reduce settings, but I very rarely have to do that because A) like I said, my backlog tends to keep me from playing most things Day One, with GTA V being an exception and B) I don't care about maxxing AA in every title as the performance hit usually isn't worth the improvement at high resolutions like 4K (IMO). It's one of the easiest things to turn down or off and still have the game look great with max textures, draw distance, etc. etc.

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel.

I just jumped on a classified 980. I am impatient... lol

Back