34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Does the 34 UM95 come with a screen protection sheet over it? I can't tell if I should peel or not, doesn't look like it to me.

Does the 34 UM95 come with a screen protection sheet over it? I can't tell if I should peel or not, doesn't look like it to me.

I didn't have anything on mine to peel. Be careful what you do.

I was just curious if you had to go into the settings of any of those games to change the field of view to make them scale properly to the monitor.

If I remember correctly all games had 3440X1440 21:9 resolution in settings except one : DayZ : this one needed a setting in the .cfg file to allow to play in 3440X1440 21:9

I have my 34UM95 mounted to an Ergotron arm. Whenever I move the monitor, the signal cuts out or at least has distortion. Sometimes even tapping or bumping my keyboard or desk breaks up the signal. This is because of movement of the DisplayPort input.

I'm using the standard DP input (not mini-DP) and the factory LG cable. It's fully seated, but it's not a tight fit. I can easily mess the signal up by touching the DP cable where it plugs into the monitor.

Anyone else have this issue?

When a DP connector is fully seated, the latches in the connector should engage and prevent it from moving at all. Sounds like the connector either isn't fully seated and latched (e.g. an unusually bulky plastic surround preventing it from fully entering the socket) or is defective.

Sounds like a good deal, even better than buying from some (e-)retailer, I would say, since you have the advantage of knowing the state of BLB/glow/pixels beforehand to help you decide without playing the lottery and the hassle of sending it back waiting for a new one... times X...

Yeah, if the seller is able to provide all the details and it looks right to you, then that looks like a very good deal. If you decide to pass, send me the seller's info! :)

Sounds like a good deal, even better than buying from some (e-)retailer, I would say, since you have the advantage of knowing the state of BLB/glow/pixels beforehand to help you decide without playing the lottery and the hassle of sending it back waiting for a new one... times X...

Yeah, I was thinking that too. The seller stated that there were no dead pixels so that's a plus. I've bought used monitors before and it's good to know before hand if there are any dead pixels/exorbitant IPS glow. I'm going to pick it up tonight so here's hoping it's good.

Ask for pics, or even better, to test it on the spot (if you're picking it up directly at the seller's place)

When a DP connector is fully seated, the latches in the connector should engage and prevent it from moving at all. Sounds like the connector either isn't fully seated and latched (e.g. an unusually bulky plastic surround preventing it from fully entering the socket) or is defective.
The latches are engaged. The problem is the cable is uber-crap. I was wrong; it's not OEM, it's a "Cable Matters" cable (I had forgotten which cable I used). These things are the worst. I bought a bunch of them on Amazon because lots of idiots rated them highly, but I had problems with several of them. One of them was DoA. A DoA cable! Wow.

I love Craigslist. I just got back an hour ago after picking up a flawless LG 34UM95. The price was perfect at $600 too. The original owner is a monitor buff and had a new ROG Swift that he didn't setup yet. I warned him that he would be disappointed in the colors but he said he didn't care since he really wanted to try out G-Sync.

When I first laid my eyes on the monitor, I was in awe at the sheer size of it. I've never seen it in real life so I was absolutely giddy when I was carrying it back to my car. I definitely got a lot of stares from other pedestrians as they eyed the monitor. After taking it home, it ended up being about the same size as the 2 Dell 2007FP's that I'm currently using.

This being my first displayport monitor, I didn't have any cables on hand so I had to order it from Amazon Prime. I order this one. I assume that all displayport cables are the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I love Craigslist.
I've never bought off Craigslist but I've sold many times. I always get the nuts and idiots who ask for insane discounts when I'm already practically giving the thing away; or they want me to deliver it for free; or they don't show when they say they will.

This being my first displayport monitor, I didn't have any cables on hand so I had to order it from Amazon Prime. I order this one. I assume that all displayport cables are the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
That one can't be any worse than the Cable Matters crap I got from Amazon. One of my Cable Matters DP cables didn't work at all. The other I mentioned above (a problem I may have worked around by using a cable tie to secure the crappy cable to the VESA mount thumbscrew--real nice ghetto fix).

I've never bought off Craigslist but I've sold many times. I always get the nuts and idiots who ask for insane discounts when I'm already practically giving the thing away; or they want me to deliver it for free; or they don't show when they say they will.

That one can't be any worse than the Cable Matters crap I got from Amazon. One of my Cable Matters DP cables didn't work at all. The other I mentioned above (a problem I may have worked around by using a cable tie to secure the crappy cable to the VESA mount thumbscrew--real nice ghetto fix).

Yeah, I was actually about to buy that Cable Matters one since it had an insane amount of reviews but after reading your thoughts on them earlier in the thread I decided to get the cheapest displayport cable since they are all basically the same.

Using VLC, some movies get black bars on top/bottom AND left right, zooming in isn't perfect because it cuts it a bit. Isn't there some way to have it perfectly fit this 21:9 screen?

Sorry if it has been asked before but is it too much work to get games to run at this res? on wsgf people complain about huds etc. Thanks

Sorry if it has been asked before but is it too much work to get games to run at this res? on wsgf people complain about huds etc. Thanks

I wouldn't consider it "work" at all. It's either the HUD will scale to 21:9 or it won't.

Team Fortess 2, HUD stretched to 21:9

Elite Dangerous, HUD fixed at 16:9 display area

But neither scenario is a showstopper for me.

See what can happen.
In Saints Row 3 for example on the top left there is HUD box left over (that gray thing).
And on the bottom right is another HUD thing that is out of view on 16:9 but not on 21:9. It is supposed to swipe in from the side.

I have the curved LG 34" 3440 x 1440 (had the flat before).

i can confirm the following games play/fit the screen perfectly:
Far Cry 4
Elite Dangerous
Star Citizen Beta
Heroes and Generals
WarThunder
WarGame RedDragon
Assassin Creed Unity
Shadows of Mordor
Wasteland 2
Fallout New Vegas (with simple *.ini edit)

I can confirm this game looks like shit at 3440 x 1440 (i.e.,does NOT fit)
World of Tanks. You are forced to set 2560 x 1440 and accept back bars on the left and right side of the screen to have a playable experience.
Red Orchestra (the first person shooter title). Also have to accept 2560 x 1440 with black bars on sides.

Haven't tried any others. Generally, newer games have the 3440 x 1440 resolution setting in the graphics options. If they don't, such as Fallout New Vegas, there are sometimes work arounds. Example, in Fallout NV, you simply edit an .ini file with notepad and type in 3440 x 1440 in a few places, and it works perfect (info is on google). Some other games, there is a program called Flawless Widescreen which is supposed to solve things. I have not tested this program with World of Tanks to see if it would fix the issue, as I don't really like that game anymore.

About that Elite Dangerous screen shot... I believe mine looks like that too, but i had considered it to be perfect fit, thats why I listed it that way. You're saying thats not a perfect fit in ED? Like maybe those top 2 x hud panels should be further off to the edges of the screen? Also, those top 2 panels (Comms and Info) are not visible by default, only when you press the hotkey. So you really wouldn't notice it much at all.

Last edited:
I have the LG 34UC97 and just thought I would share a few photos of the 34" 21:9 ultra wide panel. I've only had the LG 34UC97 for a few days and been more than happy with it. I bought because of gaming first and work second but its been quite the opposite so far! This monitor has made me work more! I'm really enjoying 34" 21:9 real estate. I'm still yet to really get stuck into a big gaming session. But I guess I have to make some money to pay the money back into the joint bank account before my wife sees!!!

http://youtu.be/F59joC1MlGA

Last edited:

I also didn't have a DP cable on hand so I borrowed one from our IT depot. The cable was included with some cheap monitors they had. It didn't work and caused my system to act like there was an electrical short. Turns out it has a "pin 20" displayport issue that non-vesa certified cables may still leave wired when it shouldn't be. The wire causes an electrical feedback and can damage hardware. If your computer acts up after it (starts but shuts down soon after without reason, or seems to act like a short is happening) its probably the cable. I picked up an Accell cable soon after which fixed it.

About that Elite Dangerous screen shot... I believe mine looks like that too, but i had considered it to be perfect fit, thats why I listed it that way. You're saying thats not a perfect fit in ED?

No, not at all. The HUD in 21:9 Elite Dangerous is fine for me. 21:9 Star Citizen does the same, constraining HUD to the 16:9 area.

Just that some would *prefer* the HUD information stretched across the entire viewable area. But on Eyefinity/Surround/Triple Monitor- stretching HUD to the full viewable area isn't ideal. Being able to tweak the HUD placement for any aspect ratio, resolution or multi-monitor configuration would be the best scenario. But very few games give you those tools. (Borderlands 2 does)

Back