34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

If you're having trouble getting two coupons to work, you probably added the monitor from the wrong product page. If you added it through the direct link and then go to EPP to check out, it will only let you add one coupon. Here are the correct steps:

-google "dell epp" and go to the first link
-put u3415 into the dell search bar at the top of the page. It will come up in the search results with a member price in green for $1139. That's how you know you're in the right part of the site to get both coupons to work.
-When you check out, use THR0K3N1?05JT3 and MQFL7LKHT?NK12 for 10% off each. You'll also get free two day shipping.
-Also at the top of the page, make sure you click the "claim your rewards" button for Dell Advantage. Sign up for Dell Advantage before you do anything if you aren't already signed up

That got me the monitor for $999.56 total even with high texas sales tax.

Is this method no longer working? I did it about 2 days ago and it worked and reduced the price, but I'm trying now and the price stays the same even with coupons added.

EDIT: Just talked with a CS rep and said they were limited use coupons. Dunno if thats true or not.

Last edited:
The coupons are dead for this monitor. Dell realized what a great deal this was and promptly nixed it.

I would stay away from Dell in any circumstances. I've been foolish enough to buy UP3214Q as an early adopter and they'be been supposedly trying to help and exchange it, but refused to exchange it directly when it died (thick red line vertically). They've insisted on using their local service handler (importer) who was as unprofessional as to cancel Dell-initiated service call twice because they didn't want to ship it more than 150km away. I've talked to Dell directly (from start) and offered to pay for my shipping since a $3000 monitor does not cover that (?!) but Dell refused.
In the end I've returned it directly for refund to a retailer I've bought it from.
I really liked it but...

LG has a great display: 34UC97. IPS, great picture, fantastic quality. I'd recommend it before any Dell for this reason.

I would stay away from Dell in any circumstances. I've been foolish enough to buy UP3214Q as an early adopter and they'be been supposedly trying to help and exchange it, but refused to exchange it directly when it died (thick red line vertically). They've insisted on using their local service handler (importer) who was as unprofessional as to cancel Dell-initiated service call twice because they didn't want to ship it more than 150km away. I've talked to Dell directly (from start) and offered to pay for my shipping since a $3000 monitor does not cover that (?!) but Dell refused.
In the end I've returned it directly for refund to a retailer I've bought it from.
I really liked it but...

LG has a great display: 34UC97. IPS, great picture, fantastic quality. I'd recommend it before any Dell for this reason.

Sorry about your experience, but Dell U.S. support for monitors purchased here seems to be just fine. That monitor has a lot of complaints about the firmware on Newegg and Amazon. Maybe it's been fixed, but apparently the earlier versions were terrible.

But it seems odd to suggest the 34UC97 given that it isn't a 4K display and not really a direct substitute for the UP3214Q. What about the BenQ BL3201PH or Samsung U32D970Q, both of which are 32" 4K monitors?

Sorry about your experience, but Dell U.S. support for monitors purchased here seems to be just fine. That monitor has a lot of complaints about the firmware on Newegg and Amazon. Maybe it's been fixed, but apparently the earlier versions were terrible.

But it seems odd to suggest the 34UC97 given that it isn't a 4K display and not really a direct substitute for the UP3214Q. What about the BenQ BL3201PH or Samsung U32D970Q, both of which are 32" 4K monitors?

I gotta agree. Dealing with Dell is likely to be 1000x better experience than a foreign company. Granted it can still be a PITA, as is most customer support.

Well, I really gave my best at patience and effort, but they're too rigid for a premium product and such a price.

Anyway, my suggestion was on-topic since we're dealing with 21:9 screens. My remark about Dell was "generic" since it is an experience with the same product type.
I really hope my case was an isolated incident because I've been using Dell products for a decade until this occurrence.

Why 21:9 LG instead of Dell UP32? Well. Primary reason is that a few months ago Dell, Sharp and Asus were only 32" 4K. Sharp being made of unobtainium in Europe leaves me with Dell and Asus. Since both were MST and I had bad experience with that too, I've tried a plethora of monitors after it, including LG34UC97 which I kept.

Scaled 4K on Windows is still, compared to a Mac, subpar experience. Even Windows 10 doesn't handle scaling ideally. Anything less than 32" is too small for native 4K which left me with: waiting or some solution than can be "close".

21:9 is stunning for productivity and gaming when supported. When not, I run windowed.

A this moment I'm again thinking about Dell 5K but two things bother me: being Dell and not being a fantastic IGZO UP3214Q was.

So I will probably stay with this LG until 5K+ 21:9 is available. Judging by tech it can easily be soon since dual DP 1.2 can handle it.

I talked with their chat and they dropped 190$ off the price of the monitor, free 2 day shipping, and 0% for 9 months. Not the original deal but that one was too good to stay.

Just wanted to mention that I talked to their chat as well and got ~15% off, free 2 day shipping and 0% for 9 months. Should have jumped on it earlier, but not too bad. Also, for signing up for a preferred account they are giving me a ~$100 gift card.

I talked with their chat and they dropped 190$ off the price of the monitor, free 2 day shipping, and 0% for 9 months. Not the original deal but that one was too good to stay.

What did you two say to get the discount? I can't get them to budge.

I mentioned the two coupons that are one their own coupon page for monitors that were, at least for me, working a few days ago. Also that the "Electronics, Software & Accessories" page has what appears to be the U3415W pictured with the language "Save an additional 10% with coupon code 78M4SHHJ4JC9WW" right below it. I'm sure there was a bit of the luck of the draw with the support personnel as well. Keep trying.

Call me when these are in the $500 range and games support such an asinine wide resolution, and then we'll talk

Just curious how you have access to this pricing...

I've had a Dell business account for over 10 years that belongs to a special sales group who have a lot more...flexibility. Plus I've been ordering a lot lately which helps push the volume pricing down even further in most cases.

All I told them was I was trying to buy this monitor after thinking about it and the coupon that said it expired on Febuary 2nd was no longer working. They asked for the coupon number and verified that I was set up the order over chat. I said yes and they gave me the quote. I also asked for the 60$ additional discount for the /epp link and they gave me that as well.

My order shipped this morning from TN via fedex express with weekend delivery. It will be here tomorrow or Monday.

New LG 34UM95-P for 700 USD, is this a great deal?

I find my current 27 inch 1440p a bit small btw.

New LG 34UM95-P for 700 USD, is this a great deal?

I find my current 27 inch 1440p a bit small btw.

New for $700 is solid. The best price I saw for refurbs was $700 and prices have shifted up after the holidays to closer to MSRP, so I'd say if you're able to afford it comfortably, then go for it. And consider setting up both side-by-side for 6000 horizontal pixels of productivity.

New for $700 is solid. The best price I saw for refurbs was $700 and prices have shifted up after the holidays to closer to MSRP, so I'd say if you're able to afford it comfortably, then go for it. And consider setting up both side-by-side for 6000 horizontal pixels of productivity.

Yep cheers

Nice. Hopefully you have no issues with Amazon if there are problems with the monitor.

But more hopefully you get a great monitor!

Nice. Hopefully you have no issues with Amazon if there are problems with the monitor.

But more hopefully you get a great monitor!

I've only had great experiences with amazon, as long as it's returned within 30 days.

No questions asked.

Toms Hardware really really liked the curved LG 34" (review was just posted):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lg-34uc97-curved-monitor,4031.html

I own both the flat LG 34 and the curved LG 34 (my flat one is currently on sale on Ebay):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291354912404?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I only have skimmed the Toms Review so far, but their lag / speed test put the curved version slightly faster than the flat screen version, which is opposite to some opinions floating around this forum. I didn't take the time to set up a back to back game test, say like panning the scenery in Far Cry 4 and War Thunder on my flat 34 and then as fast as I could shutting down, plugging in the curved model, and running the same test. Didn't have the time. But, when I put the flat LG away and set up the curved LG, the first game I did test was Far Cry 4 and it seemed to me the scenery panned about the same, same level of blur etc.

Couple things that are strange to me in the review on Toms hardware:
1. it talks about setting the "black level" setting to Low (Default is High) and confirms this setting is ONLY for HDMI connections (it has no effect people running DP). In fact, I run with a DP cable (of COURSE I do, to get 60hz) and I can confirm that this setting is grey-ed out and not changeable. So to me, this implies Toms is running this review with the LG connected via HDMI?!?! With HDMI on this screen, you are limited to a refresh rate of 50hz!! There is a slight work-a-round if you have GTX 970/980 as these are HDMI 2.0 and you can create a custom desktop resolution of 3440 x 1440 @ 60 hz. Neither the flat or curved model official support hdmi 2.0 input, but both unofficially work using it and a GTX 970/980 with a custom resolution. But Toms doesn't say they are doing this. To write this review connected via HDMI @ 50 hz is a travesty.

They show a pic of their settings and again it says black level "LOW" which means an HDMI connection. Nuts.

2 The curved LG (cant remember if my flat screen had it) has a "response time" option. They don't confirm if they are leaving it set to high (it can also be switched "off") . This feature is very poorly documented on line and then LG manual doesn't even mention it at all. I asked Linus who also reviewed the monitor and he took the time to write a short response that said "leave it set to Medium for best results" (which I believe is the default setting as well)

Anyway, Toms liked it but to me its insane to have connected it via HDMI (unless they were using a GTX 970/980 with a custom resolution created)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I know the Dell u3415w has hdmi 2.0 ports (60hz no problem)
The LG 34um95 has hdmi 1.4a ports (needs DP to get 60hz)

But what about the LG 34UC97?? What version of HDMI does this monitor have?

Thanks.

Thanks bro.

Google translated excerpts:

Flat screen LG 34:
Reaction time "medium"
The factory setting is as acceleration in the menu response time preset the value "medium". The B / W value is 15.4 milliseconds and the fastest GtG a value of 12 milliseconds. The average value of all GtG 15 sampled points yielded 16.2 milliseconds. The CtC value is good with 12.4 milliseconds. In the right chart for the brightness curve reveals the gray change between 50 and 80 percent with minimal overshoot, the vote is relatively neutral.

Reaction time "fast"

With the reaction time "fast" coming pixels now up to full speed. The B / W value is shortened again to 10.2 milliseconds. The fastest GtG value is measured at 6.2 milliseconds. What is the value in about the LG calls the datasheet. Also, the average GtG value is significantly shortened with 10.6 milliseconds. A CtC value of 8 milliseconds can also be seen.

For gamers, these values ​​are not yet the non-plus-ultra, but go for an all-round monitor of this size, the switching times perfectly fine. However, the faster times have been purchased at the price of neutrality during the course of brightness. The overshoots are now clearly visible and artifacts may occur. Here, the limit of the panel has been reached and it is good that LG has not still turned on the speed screw.

Curved LG 34:
The factory setting is as acceleration in the menu response time preset the value "medium". The B / W value is 13.4 milliseconds and the fastest GtG value 9 milliseconds. The average value of all GtG 15 sampled points yielded 13.9 milliseconds. The CtC value is good at 9.6 milliseconds.

In the right chart for the brightness curve reveals the gray change between 50 and 80 percent with minimal overshoot, the vote is still neutral.

Reaction time "fast"
With the reaction time "fast" coming pixels now up to full speed. The B / W value is shortened again to 11.7 milliseconds. The fastest GtG value is measured at 3.8 milliseconds. What is even below the value of 5 milliseconds, the LG called the datasheet. Also, the average GtG value is significantly shortened with 8.7 milliseconds. A CtC value of 7.4 milliseconds can also be seen.

For gamers, these values ​​are not yet the non-plus-ultra, but go for an all-round monitor of this size, the switching times perfectly fine. However, the faster times have been purchased at the price of neutrality during the course of brightness. The overshoots are now clearly visible and artifacts may occur. Here, the limit of the panel has been reached and it is good that LG has not still turned on the speed screw.

(end quote)
I have my 34um97 (which i use for gaming) set to Middle. I tried Fast and something didnt "look right" to me. This was before I read any of the tests that talk about the whole 'overshooting' thing. This may be what I was experiencing. On my flat LG, I had it set to Middle and I wasn't even aware this option existed so I never got to try it set to fast.

In the right chart for the brightness curve reveals the gray change between 50 and 80 percent with minimal overshoot, the vote is still neutral.

That part got messed up a bit by translation.
It should have been:"...the tuning/set-up is still (neutral)/well balanced"
;)

Hi.
Here is the first time I tried to make a video in 1440P and uploaded to youtube to show the screen with games.
Youtube is degrading the real quality but yeah it gives an idea...

You can see the game recorded directly from the screen in 3440X1440 and the game recorded by a 1080P camera ( not as goog as it is coming from the screen but he it gives an idea - and by the way during video making process, I used a little bit too much of saturation... I know for next time )

Hope it will give some ideas to those who hesitate with this screen. Games are just working perfectly for me !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgQhf7DTeik

Hi.
Here is the first time I tried to make a video in 1440P and uploaded to youtube to show the screen with games.
Youtube is degrading the real quality but yeah it gives an idea...

You can see the game recorded directly from the screen in 3440X1440 and the game recorded by a 1080P camera ( not as goog as it is coming from the screen but he it gives an idea - and by the way during video making process, I used a little bit too much of saturation... I know for next time )

Hope it will give some ideas to those who hesitate with this screen. Games are just working perfectly for me !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgQhf7DTeik

Nice video , that monitor looks great .

I'm now stuck between this one and the new 34" Samsung .

Back