34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

How well will one GTX 980 do with this? Play Payday 2, BF4, WOW, and eventually GTA 5.

It will do well with the first three, no clue about GTA 5 since it's not out yet and no one has any clue how well it will run or how unoptimized it might be. You would THINK that it would run acceptably well on the top cards that are out right now, but anyone saying that for sure at this point is just guessing.

Really torn between the Dell and the Samsung since they are the same price. I want the better blacks on the Samsung but then again its a monitor and the better color on the IPS panel would be useful. At $1199 I could also get the LG one which I really like. Hmmm decisions decisions.

yah i hear ya..i havent dealt w/samsung or LG before, but i know dell cs is usually excellent so im leaning towards dell unless someone can chime in on the cs of the other manufacturers?...plus the cs ive been talking to at dell tells me he'll try to get the best possible price for me, i dont know if he's only blowing smoke up my a$$ or if he say's that to everyone. what i want your opinion on is whats the 'best' possible price i can talk the cs down to? $900'ish if the sell price is $1200 otherwise how much of a difference can one haggle from the selling price? maybe like $200-$300 off?

I will have the Samsung in hand tomorrow. Unfortunately I may not have time to do much with it until Friday evening, but I will post my thoughts once I have time to play with it.

I used a gtx 970 at 3440x1440 and I was to be frank blown away by how well it performed. You'll have no problem as long as you keep levels of AA down. Tbh you don't really need them anyway. I was playing crysis with a mix of high settings and no AA at 45-60 fps.

Really torn between the Dell and the Samsung since they are the same price. I want the better blacks on the Samsung but then again its a monitor and the better color on the IPS panel would be useful. At $1199 I could also get the LG one which I really like. Hmmm decisions decisions.

I was about to order the U3415W myself particularly since I would get the Dell employee discount -- but two days ago I learned about the Philips 40" 4K display, so now I'm going to wait for that to land in the US or perhaps even order it internationally. There's just something awesome about having a monstrously huge display that just happens to be sized perfectly for running 4K resolution without any OS scaling, so all of those pixels go toward more real estate (4x 1080p displays with no bezels!!) rather than making things sharper -- or blurrier, as has proven the case in several Windows applications. I appreciate the color fidelity of IPS panels (I currently have a Dell U2410), but although I would never drop to a TN panel, I don't do anything particularly color-sensitive either, so I think I'd be willing to trade off some color fidelity in exchange for a VA panel's better contrast, better black level, and lack of IPS glow. Throw in the fact that such a display can be had in 40" guise for ~$800 and that seals the deal for me.

Last edited:
It will do well with the first three, no clue about GTA 5 since it's not out yet and no one has any clue how well it will run or how unoptimized it might be. You would THINK that it would run acceptably well on the top cards that are out right now, but anyone saying that for sure at this point is just guessing.

Not if previous GTA releases for PC are any indication.... But maybe the fact that GTA V was ported to the next-gen x86-based consoles will help. AMD GPU owners may get a boost too if it supports the Mantle API, which theoretically should give them a performance edge when running games originally designed for next-gen consoles since both of them use AMD GPUs.

yah i hear ya..i havent dealt w/samsung or LG before, but i know dell cs is usually excellent so im leaning towards dell unless someone can chime in on the cs of the other manufacturers?...plus the cs ive been talking to at dell tells me he'll try to get the best possible price for me, i dont know if he's only blowing smoke up my a$$ or if he say's that to everyone. what i want your opinion on is whats the 'best' possible price i can talk the cs down to? $900'ish if the sell price is $1200 otherwise how much of a difference can one haggle from the selling price? maybe like $200-$300 off?

$200-300 off of a $1200 product is 16-25% off. Unless you're an account manager for a company that spends a lot of money with Dell or are looking to purchase a lot of these, I would be stunned if you got that kind of a discount on a brand new product just by haggling on the phone; frankly I'd be stunned if first-level sales agents were even authorized to give discounts that large. I've seen people get 5% off of high-end laptops by calling in, but that's probably because their higher cost means there's more profit to start with, and also because with the volume of coupons Dell releases in the 5-20% off range, it's not hard to get 5% off through other means anyway.

All that said, I'm betting this display weighs in around the $1000 mark. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

5% at most. What the f*ck makes you think you're going to get $200-300 off a $1200 monitor? Some CS rep you don't even know telling you he will do the best he can for you? Get real dude.

5% at most. What the f*ck makes you think you're going to get $200-300 off a $1200 monitor? Some CS rep you don't even know telling you he will do the best he can for you? Get real dude.

Relax b. If he gets lets down, thats on him. No reason to bring him down.

Throw in the fact that such a display can be had in 40" guise for ~$800 and that seals the deal for me.

Seiki (a notorious "cheap" brand) is bringing their 40" 4k to the US market and targeting $1000, so good luck getting the Philips for your $800 target.

All that said, I'm betting this display weighs in around the $1000 mark. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

It's already officially released by Dell for $1200, on their site tomorrow.

Last edited:
Seiki (a notorious "cheap" brand) is bringing their 40" 4k to the US market and targeting $1000, so good luck getting the Philips for your $800 target.

It's already officially released by Dell for $1200, on their site tomorrow.

$800 isn't my target; was just a guess based on prices I'm seeing elsewhere after looking at real world conversions for similar items available in both places as opposed to straight currency conversions, which almost never apply. I'd pay $1000 for the Philips though, possibly more, and I'd also consider the Seiki once reviews are released.

Good to know that the U3415W has final pricing, though I'm surprised it's that high. I definitely wouldn't pay that much for it though.

i dunno whats the conversion factor is from US dollars to australian dollars, but folks down there and some parts of europe are getting the monitors for that amount off from reading the different sites [overclock.net,overclockers UK] so unless u calling them all liars, check into it biatch:p

$800 isn't my target; was just a guess based on prices I'm seeing elsewhere after looking at real world conversions for similar items available in both places as opposed to straight currency conversions, which almost never apply. I'd pay $1000 for the Philips though, possibly more, and I'd also consider the Seiki once reviews are released.

Good to know that the U3415W has final pricing, though I'm surprised it's that high. I definitely wouldn't pay that much for it though.

Who knows, maybe Philips wants to come to market cheap and clean house. HP is pricing low like this with their new line, so Philips might come in and undercut Seiki.

Agreed with you that even $1000 is a fair for the Philips.

i dunno whats the conversion factor is from US dollars to australian dollars, but folks down there and some parts of europe are getting the monitors for that amount off from reading the different sites [overclock.net,overclockers UK] so unless u calling them all liars, check into it biatch:p

Pricing is not consistent country to country and it's not just based on fx rate...so no, they aren't lying, but it's not what it's going to go for in the US.

And "biatch", what are you 12?

Torn between the Dell IPS and Samsung VA... It'll be 100% for gaming most of which are MMO/Moba the rest FPS.

Torn between the Dell IPS and Samsung VA... It'll be 100% for gaming most of which are MMO/Moba the rest FPS.

In that case I think the case for the Samsung is pretty strong given that VA panels tend to have better contrast and black levels, and no IPS glow. Plus the early impressions of the Dell suggest that backlight bleed may be an issue as well.

In that case I think the case for the Samsung is pretty strong given that VA panels tend to have better contrast and black levels, and no IPS glow. Plus the early impressions of the Dell suggest that backlight bleed may be an issue as well.

People over at OCN are reporting bad ghosting on the Samsung and subpar picture quality. Looks like I am going with LG curved. Afraid Dell is going to take a few revisions to fix any problems.

I will have the Samsung in hand tomorrow. Unfortunately I may not have time to do much with it until Friday evening, but I will post my thoughts once I have time to play with it.

Cool. waiting for that !

If you can, make a review video with tests on light bleeding, banding, flickering, sleeping mode recover, and games :) Hope you enjoy the screen ^^

So it's my understanding that any monitor now that has display port 1.2a has the capability of being able to run freesync. If so what 34" 3440 monitors support 1.2 a?

People over at OCN are reporting bad ghosting on the Samsung and subpar picture quality. Looks like I am going with LG curved. Afraid Dell is going to take a few revisions to fix any problems.

Yup, this has become an absurd decision process...seems like every curved 34" sucks in one way or another, it's making it quite difficult to decide.

I am going for the Dell (if they ever load it on the site). The Samsung is tempting, but IPS has been good to me over the years and with the discount code I have in addition to gift cards I have it makes it the Dell the better buy for me.

I am going for the Dell (if they ever load it on the site). The Samsung is tempting, but IPS has been good to me over the years and with the discount code I have in addition to gift cards I have it makes it the Dell the better buy for me.

It's there now. Unfortunately it's not shipping until the 21st.

So it's my understanding that any monitor now that has display port 1.2a has the capability of being able to run freesync. If so what 34" 3440 monitors support 1.2 a?

Be careful here. I don't believe that FreeSync support is a mandatory part of the 1.2a spec, in which case a display that had 1.2a support wouldn't necessarily support FreeSync.

Actually just got another 10% off... Making it super tempting!!

*rubbing hands together* good good, now i got somethang to haggle w/when my cs calls me back momentarily..ohh yah, if you got discover or whatever cc u own, discover is giving 5% cb too

Back