34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Dang it. Now I had to order that one. So I got a lg 34um94 and a um95 coming in. Lol. The um94 was $70 more... but has a 3 year warranty.

I'm going to return which ever has the less light bleed though. ..

ugh.....will have to spam my local Houston craigslist even more to get my UM95 sold now (moved to a g-sync monitor)....that's a good deal off newegg

The Dell is curved though ;)

I am getting the Dell :D i have already spoke with my Dell rep on date and purchase.

I got to see it first hand at Dell world. It is AMAZING!!!!!!

What will the Dell sell for? If it's $1,200 or more, that's one heck of a premium for a minor curve...hopefully they will be available for less than $1,000 with coupons/sales.

Wanted to jump on the Newegg deal on this, but I'm concerned about the BLB issues people are talking about. I've lived with some on my Dell U3011 for years tho, so I'm curious to get anyone's take that has made the switch to the LG from the Dell U3011. Anyone?

Also, any thoughts on the loss of utility with less vertical screen are appreciated.

Wanted to jump on the Newegg deal on this, but I'm concerned about the BLB issues people are talking about. I've lived with some on my Dell U3011 for years tho, so I'm curious to get anyone's take that has made the switch to the LG from the Dell U3011. Anyone?

Also, any thoughts on the loss of utility with less vertical screen are appreciated.

I missed the extra vertical space at first but I think that's made up for by the fact that you can have so many things open side by side. I ended up taking my U3011 to work to replace the dual 23" monitors that I was using, but honestly I think I'd be more productive on my 34UM94. The 30" actually feels a bit cramped now when working with multiple windows, and I never thought that would happen. There's no way I'm taking the LG to work though, at least not until I have a 4K for my main rig.

Cant speak exactly to you, but a little close.

I went from a Dell u2711 to the flat screen LG 34"

I love the LG and would never go back to anything smaller. I'm a gamer / casual video watcher / general internet user. I don't know if Im just not sensitive to it or what, but I haven't noticed any black light issues with any monitor I've ever had. I did however notice the colors on the Dell seemed a bit "better" (more accurate and brighter) than on the LG. When I first started fired up the LG, it seemed "dim" and even still too dim running at @ 100% brightness (compared to the Dell). But once I got used to the slightly darker colors, I really love the LG (you should see Fallout New Vegas with the high res texture pack and the 3440 x 1440 *.ini tweak).

I also tried an Asus PG278Q @ 144hz after the LG, and I couldn't accept how small it was (though its speed was amazing in FPS games).

I had considered getting the u3011 as a replacement for my u2711, until I found out about these 34" beasts.

I missed the extra vertical space at first but I think that's made up for by the fact that you can have so many things open side by side. I ended up taking my U3011 to work to replace the dual 23" monitors that I was using, but honestly I think I'd be more productive on my 34UM94. The 30" actually feels a bit cramped now when working with multiple windows, and I never thought that would happen. There's no way I'm taking the LG to work though, at least not until I have a 4K for my main rig.

Cant speak exactly to you, but a little close.

I went from a Dell u2711 to the flat screen LG 34"

I love the LG and would never go back to anything smaller. I'm a gamer / casual video watcher / general internet user. I don't know if Im just not sensitive to it or what, but I ...

I had considered getting the u3011 as a replacement for my u2711, until I found out about these 34" beasts.

Great feedback, thanks folks. I'm really on the fence whether to go for this one or the new Acer 32" 4k monitor (thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1839808). I'm leaning toward 4k to be more "future proof", but then even with my video card setup I'm not confident I can drive that many pixels. Plus the ultra wide panels are cool for gaming, which is primarily why I'm doing this.

Dang it. Now I had to order that one. So I got a lg 34um94 and a um95 coming in. Lol. The um94 was $70 more... but has a 3 year warranty.

Couldn't wait for AOC or Dell, so you got 2 LG's! That $809 deal is really tempting me..

I am getting the Dell :D i have already spoke with my Dell rep on date and purchase

The nerd variation of a cock-tease.. jerk :D

I am absolutely torn now because of this.

This price is perfect for me, even though I was waiting for the Samsung or Dell. Not to mention I've been eyeing up the 32" 4K from Acer as well lately. I really can't decide which choice is best for me as a gaming/General use home monitor for mostly non-FPS games and non-movies coming from my 1600p ips. I wish it was as easy for me to see these all in person.

I just ordered 2 34um95 at ruffly $800 each form NewEgg. I currently have three but I am returning two of them as I paid too much for them in the last few weeks and one is giving my issues. When they did work, I absolutely loved them. I had them hooked up to my MacBook Pro Retina 15. Two by thunderbolt and 1 by HDMI. They all work at full resolution @ 60z on the thunderbolt and 50z on the HDMI. I have them on the Ergotron LX Dual Desk Mount and they look great.

Well I am having some extraordinary issues with my new 34um95. I'm now trying it with a second video card (Gigabyte 980) and it is crashing less, but it will often crash and reboot when being awakened from stand by or just not power back on at all.

Going to try another DP cable and see where that goes. Any ideas on what to try next?

i've been wondering why specific regions gets products first..in this case the Dell U3415W..i havent done any research on this [lazy even w/google to do all the work haha] so im assuming Dell HQ is located in asia and thats why that region already has it available?

i've been wondering why specific regions gets products first..in this case the Dell U3415W..i havent done any research on this [lazy even w/google to do all the work haha] so im assuming Dell HQ is located in asia and thats why that region already has it available?

The reason is because they're big fat jerks who like playing with peoples hearts!

The Dell is curved though ;)

I am getting the Dell :D i have already spoke with my Dell rep on date and purchase.

I got to see it first hand at Dell world. It is AMAZING!!!!!!

Any tidbits of info to share?

I was lucky enough to get on the "Spend $1000 on Dell.com and receive a $200 statement credit" deal on my Amex, but it expires on 12/15. At this rate I don't think the monitor will be shipping by then.

Just pulled the trigger on the LG from NE for 800 bucks. Pretty stoked... I'll be replacing a beat up 30" in the middle of a PLP setup. May even just get rid of the two portrait modes on either side.

For curiosity's sake - has anyone seen or have pictures of this monitor with two portraits on either side? Mine are Dell 2007FPs.

Just pulled the trigger on the LG from NE for 800 bucks. Pretty stoked... I'll be replacing a beat up 30" in the middle of a PLP setup. May even just get rid of the two portrait modes on either side.

For curiosity's sake - has anyone seen or have pictures of this monitor with two portraits on either side? Mine are Dell 2007FPs.

I have the same Dells on my PLP setup. Based on what the screen size calculators are telling me, it seems you might be better off putting all three back in landscape position. The difference in screen height between the 2007 and the LG is only 1.3" vertically, but if you have the 2007 in portrait, it would be more like 2.7" (16" vs the LG 13.3").

Thanks Neon & Bowhuntr. That gave me everything I needed and then some. That desk in the Youtube video is pretty sick.

The nerd variation of a cock-tease.. jerk :D

Sorry but I just cant help it... I want the Dell 34 so badly... i have the money just sitting...waiting!!!!

What will the Dell sell for? If it's $1,200 or more, that's one heck of a premium for a minor curve...hopefully they will be available for less than $1,000 with coupons/sales.

$1,200 is release price MSRP... but that doesn't mean that will not change by release date and that doesn't mean Retail.

They told me early Jan... so hanging in there... or trying :eek:

Any tidbits of info to share?

I was lucky enough to get on the "Spend $1000 on Dell.com and receive a $200 statement credit" deal on my Amex, but it expires on 12/15. At this rate I don't think the monitor will be shipping by then.

There are threads and info all over the interwebs... one of which I started
http://www.overclock.net/t/1522940/dell-world-2014-dell-34-curved-ultrawide-and-dell-5k-monitors

I know about that much... I cant wait to sit behind one and play some games :D

I know about that much... I cant wait to sit behind one and play some games :D

Lol.. thanks for the infos!

Really hard to believe that they're *just* missing out on the holiday shopping season in the US. Guess they need something new to show at CES?

ok guys, i got in on the staples 25% off one item deal last nite and got the LG Electronics 34UM94P 34 for $720[w/tax], i heard there's probs w/BLB w/this version, has it been corrected or should i go for one of the curved ver from dell/lg/samsung? luckily i got till jan 17 to return for holiday policy's

ok guys, i got in on the staples 25% off one item deal last nite and got the LG Electronics 34UM94P 34 for $720[w/tax], i heard there's probs w/BLB w/this version, has it been corrected or should i go for one of the curved ver from dell/lg/samsung? luckily i got till jan 17 to return for holiday policy's

Now that's a killer deal.. thought their 25% off was for in-store only, and that their UM94 was online only?

Amazon dropped their price on the UM95 to $809 today to match Newegg's deal which just ended last night.

Well I am having some extraordinary issues with my new 34um95. I'm now trying it with a second video card (Gigabyte 980) and it is crashing less, but it will often crash and reboot when being awakened from stand by or just not power back on at all.

Going to try another DP cable and see where that goes. Any ideas on what to try next?

Yeah give up and return it. That's all I could do in the end. The nvidia cards have probs too, but the monitor definitely does...

I can't wait to get one of the 34" monitors for my main rig.
I just bought the 25" yesterday to use in my garage along with my HTPC, and I am loving the width.
It was odd looking at first since it is so short, but after using it, it feels like the extra width is more useful to me than extra height.
Watching cinema-scope films is nice too since it uses the entire screen.

Now that's a killer deal.. thought their 25% off was for in-store only, and that their UM94 was online only?

Amazon dropped their price on the UM95 to $809 today to match Newegg's deal which just ended last night.

the 25% coupon was from their mobile sign-up and it was thru mobile that i made the order including the 15 off 75 coupon stackable!

Okay, after two weeks with Philips 34" some of my opinions: It has great ergonomics. Anyone who has used any Philips display, will feel like at home with totally adjustable height and angles (there is no Pivot - no point really with that screen size). Stand is firm, and it secures it perfectly on the desk. Connections - VGA, HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort. There is no external power supply, just standard power cable. Menu is standard, with buttons under right bottom corner

Screen quality is awesome. Very nice colours, had to kill contrast and brightness a bit below 50%, as it was too bright IMO. Pictures and movies look splendid. Slower games too. And though I didn't see any input lag, the tearing when game is going at 45-55 FPS is really noticeable, and Dragon Age Inquisition was a chore, compared to my 120 hz Sammy 950. Once a 120hz, always 120hz for gaming (and then G-Sync), but in strategies and older Dragon Ages there was no problem.

I kinda liked that screen, and would get it, if I'd not be gamer, but would be using screen for professional tasks and gaming at slower games. But, the 60hz is really, really drawback for me.

Also, you need more than pair of 970 GTX for that resolution. In open large areas, Ultra/2xMSAA, 60Hz were unattainable in DA:I - from 45 to 55. Guess pair of 980s or Tri-SLI 970 is required to keep constant 60Hz.

Cant tell you anything about price, as it will be released Q1 2015, was told only that it will be higher than AOC screen and lower than LG.

Just give me that screen with 120Hz Gsync IPS and I'm sold. Right now, I'd get ROG for gaming.

the 25% coupon was from their mobile sign-up and it was thru mobile that i made the order including the 15 off 75 coupon stackable!

Dang.. hopefully someone gives us a better heads-up next time (jerk :p). Some folks over SD were getting the UM94 down to $666 (+tax) by stacking coupons! I signed up for their stupid text deal today, and all they sent me was a lousy $5 off coupon :(

Anyway.. Newegg extended their 10% off deal for the UM95 until this Sunday ($809).

Everything came in! w00t! (Ignore desk, I'm in the process of moving :p)

WISYFKE.jpg

qXyERTg.jpg

Anyways. I hooked up the 34UM95 first and this is the outcome of the BLB on it...

OmegSVQ.jpg

Not too bad. Guessing the blue on the bottom right is glow? The camera picked it up, but its not that visible to my naked eye. The rest is though. I adjusted the camera till it was about exactly what my eye saw, minus the glow/blue in the bottom corner. Btw, its not a reflection of the keyboard/mouse I turned everything off after the pic to make sure and it was still there. But either way not a big deal, my eye can't see it.

Then I hooked up the 34UM94...

a4rP8Oz.jpg

It was slightly better on the bottom left, but added just a tiny bit to the top right...I am trying to decide if it is $70 difference better though to keep the 94 over the 95. :)

Last edited:
Got mine from Newegg today too. Awesome monitor. I'm loving how creamy smooth the picture looks. I don't have any noticeable BLB at all. The IPS backlight glow is pretty pronounced in the lower corners though - particularly the left side, as it's a yellowish that shows up in a lot of images. I'm used to this type of thing though, as I have several IPS monitors already.

The side by side options of the Screen Split util included with the monitor are great. It couldn't be easier to use - you just install the small app and it puts an icon in your taskbar that allows you to change the config to other split setups (both horizontal and vertical). It's simple, intuitive, and works exactly as it's supposed to.

I calibrated with the included (True Color Finder) app using my iRite Display 2 calorimeter. The process couldn't have been easier. You just set the desired brightness (I like to go with 180 nits, though some may think that's a bit bright), color temp (6500k), and gamma (2.2 of course), and it takes care of the rest in about 10 minutes. Much easier and faster than using the iRite software.

I've been playing DA:I in super wide screen, and it's incredible. My SLI 780 setup is working overtime to try to keep me at 60 hz (and failing, much of the time) though. Clearly I need a little more horsepower for a game like this on this monitor. I did notice that the image skews near the edges though. Is that normal? I'm not used to playing with such a wide POV.

Anyone have a recommendation for a secondary 27" 16:9 that would pair well with this monitor on color temp? I'm looking for something that will do 120hz (preferably gsync capable) so I can switch back and forth, particularly if a game doesn't support 21:9 display. Maybe the Asus ROG Swift Gysnc model? It's still pretty pricey though.

...I am trying to decide if it is $70 difference better though to keep the 94 over the 95. :)

Both look pretty good imo! Just an fyi (and I'm not sure if this is actually true, or not).. someone over at SD that spoke to LG said they told him that the longer 3-year warranty on the UM94 only applied if the warranty was registered to a business, and otherwise, they would only receive the same 1-year warranty as the UM95. Though, this seems to run afoul of the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, which doesn't require "registration" for warranty in the US.

_________

Brief hands-on with the Dell U3415W (mostly showing the stand)..

http://youtu.be/0C_o4CDH134

Yeah newegg is wrong. I told them in the chat and linked to the LG site...they still haven't fixed it

Go here and click on tech specs and scroll to the bottom.

I currently have three but I am returning two of them as I paid too much for them in the last few weeks and one is giving my issues.

How are returnes done with new egg with this item? I am thinking about getting it, but if backlight bleed is too bad I will want to return it. Does new egg pay shipping back or does the customer?

How are returnes done with new egg with this item? I am thinking about getting it, but if backlight bleed is too bad I will want to return it. Does new egg pay shipping back or does the customer?

Depends on the item, they have several different return policies. For the UM95, it looks like any restocking fees are waived. Not sure if you have to pay back shipping.

Back