34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

34" Curved...

LG vs Samsung vs Dell vs Philips vs AOC

Which to buy? I hope there is a comparison review when they are all out.

And the 31MU97 looks real nice too.

Last edited:
So, how do you get used to that screen size/ratio? i got for a few days new Philips 34" to play with. I really like its ergonomics - you can adjust height and angle and it smokes LG in that department. Colours and screen quality are also IMO tad better (ot it's better calibrated).

But... I cant get used to this ratio and size. Either I've too small desk - and whn I put that display like 50 cm from eyes, I've problems to see what's going on in sides, as my eyes concentrate only on middle. It's like sitting in front row of the cinema.

been laying few games and watching movies, but I'm nowhere near being convinced that 34" and 21:9 is what I would enjoy. Maybe it takes time, but right now, when I give it back, I'll enjoy switching back to my standard 16:9.

So, how do you get used to that screen size/ratio? i got for a few days new Philips 34" to play with. I really like its ergonomics - you can adjust height and angle and it smokes LG in that department. Colours and screen quality are also IMO tad better (ot it's better calibrated).

But... I cant get used to this ratio and size. Either I've too small desk - and whn I put that display like 50 cm from eyes, I've problems to see what's going on in sides, as my eyes concentrate only on middle. It's like sitting in front row of the cinema.

been laying few games and watching movies, but I'm nowhere near being convinced that 34" and 21:9 is what I would enjoy. Maybe it takes time, but right now, when I give it back, I'll enjoy switching back to my standard 16:9.

from a productivity standpoint, you have to split the screen - using it for one task at a time is just awkward

for gaming, just play normally - don't try to adjust your personal viewing habits. eventually, someone will pop up in your peripheral view of that 21:9 and you'll naturally see it and react - and then it will feel awesome. don't try to force it - just like surround, just let the natural peripheral view take it all in

I think you're overthinking this. If you feel like you're too close, move back.

Put windows side-by-side instead of switching between them.

If you're always just single-tasking on tall documents or web pages, then the ultra-wide format isn't really for you. But if you multi-task, do CAD, or work on anything side-by-side (e.g. multiple documents, source files, datasheets, etc.) the ultra-wide format is amazing.

Last edited:
Either I've too small desk - and whn I put that display like 50 cm from eyes, I've problems to see what's going on in sides, as my eyes concentrate only on middle. It's like sitting in front row of the cinema.

You mean your desk is such small you can't put the display bit further away??? If this is the case this is awkward combination of very poor man desk with high-end display.

^^ yep just saw that. I just bought the 32" samsung 1440p but I might have jumped on this deal if I hadn't.

dead pixels are what bother me. I got the 34um94 from ebay for $850. The backlight bleed was horrendous, just too much for $850. I painfully sent it back for a refund. I'm not bothering with another one. There are so many complaints about it.. it's not pot luck to see who gets a good one. It is a beautiful display, tho. I hope the Dell is better for the backlight. If it is, it is definitely my next monitor.

So I got a new 34um95 from NCIX just a few days ago.

I am running it via DP 1.1 with an Asus R9 290 and I am getting driver crashes and reboots. Setting it to DP 1.2 gives me popping and screen jumps.

Is there any fix for Display Port issues with this monitor?

So I got a new 34um95 from NCIX just a few days ago.

I am running it via DP 1.1 with an Asus R9 290 and I am getting driver crashes and reboots. Setting it to DP 1.2 gives me popping and screen jumps.

Is there any fix for Display Port issues with this monitor?

I don't have an R9 290 anymore but when I did it worked flawlessly under DP 1.1. Only 1.2 had issues... so dunno. Maybe try a clean install of drivers.

I run the flatscreen LG 34" and I too am not yet used to the incredible width of the thing. I have a pretty "deep" computer desk too (though I'll have to measure how far I sit from it when I get home).

I have the same issue when gaming, I feel like I literally have to turn my head to notice whats going on at the far edges of the screen.

But in the end, I feel its "a nice problem to have". I used the LG for only a few weeks and then an Asus ROG PG278Q showed up. When I first unboxed the thing, I literally thought they had made a mistake and shipped me a 24" (instead of 27") version of the monitor!! The speed of the PG278Q was amazing. 144hz w/ g-sync and a GTX980 was fucking awesome. But in the end, I couldn't live with how small the thing seemed after using the LG. Man i hope 2015 brings big AND fast (120hz+ screens)!!!

Once you go 34", you cant go back to a 27" (at least I couldn't). First world problems are nice to have dude. You'll eventually get used to the LG's size or maybe you need to buy a deeper computer desk.

The Samsung is very interesting since it's using a VA panel. Black levels should be much better. For color critical work I still prefer IPS, but as far as general media consumption goes (games, movies, etc) VA is almost always superior.

Has anyone else noticed a vertical tear down the dead center of the screen every now and then (once every hour or so)? You can only see it when in games usually because it requires a scroll/panning picture to see it.

If you don't have vsync on, it'd be very hard to see. It's very quick and looks about the same as normal tearing.

Has anyone else noticed a vertical tear down the dead center of the screen every now and then (once every hour or so)? You can only see it when in games usually because it requires a scroll/panning picture to see it.

If you don't have vsync on, it'd be very hard to see. It's very quick and looks about the same as normal tearing.

Yes... I think it might be a DP 1.2 issue. I haven't seen it in DP 1.1

Yes... I think it might be a DP 1.2 issue. I haven't seen it in DP 1.1

I have the flatscreen LG 34", and I believe I get the same issue that you do (or at least a similar one).

In RTS games, like WarGame Red Dragon, when scrolling around the map rapidly, I will get a horizontal "tear" across the middle of the screen. Almost like you are ripping the screen from one side to the other. Seems to take place over about half a second but is very annoying. Happens also around once or twice an hour while playing.

I am running it with Win 8.1 and a GTX 980, DisplayPort (have it set to 1.2). I guess when I get home I will change it to 1.1 and see if thats any different?

So most likely the same in the US

Not necessarily. We're getting the AOC at least a month earlier than the UK, for whatever reason.. and iirc, Gibbo worked out a deal with Samsung to get their curved 34" a month earlier than originally planned.

I'm still not sure about the Dell, though. Last official word was Nov. release in Asia, with other regions in Dec.

If any of them launch in January, they're losing sales and they know it.

I have the flatscreen LG 34", and I believe I get the same issue that you do (or at least a similar one).

In RTS games, like WarGame Red Dragon, when scrolling around the map rapidly, I will get a horizontal "tear" across the middle of the screen. Almost like you are ripping the screen from one side to the other. Seems to take place over about half a second but is very annoying. Happens also around once or twice an hour while playing.

I am running it with Win 8.1 and a GTX 980, DisplayPort (have it set to 1.2). I guess when I get home I will change it to 1.1 and see if thats any different?

Confirming still happens on 1.1, though it appears to be slightly less noticeable. I would imagine they all do this, like you said it's hardly a deal breaker but it is annoying to see. It's one of those "what if it gets worse" type things.

The tearing issue happens while connected via DP 1.1, DP 1.2 and HDMI 2.0 @60Hz (I have a GTX970), so it's not an issue that's limited to any particular connector..

The Samsung is very interesting since it's using a VA panel. Black levels should be much better. For color critical work I still prefer IPS, but as far as general media consumption goes (games, movies, etc) VA is almost always superior.

Do you really think the VA model will be better for gaming?

I'm upgrading to a 34" 21:9 from a U3011 1600p IPS panel, and the monitor will be almost solely used for gaming (wow, mobas, fps in that order). I am afraid to change from IPS to VA, but I am tired of waiting for the Dell and am unhappy with the current revision of LG's, and I'm starting to lean towards the Samsung route in order to make a purchase prior to the holiday season.

I love VA panels. Who knows how the quality control will compare in terms of backlight bleed, etc., though.

Do you really think the VA model will be better for gaming?

I'm upgrading to a 34" 21:9 from a U3011 1600p IPS panel, and the monitor will be almost solely used for gaming (wow, mobas, fps in that order). I am afraid to change from IPS to VA, but I am tired of waiting for the Dell and am unhappy with the current revision of LG's, and I'm starting to lean towards the Samsung route in order to make a purchase prior to the holiday season.

Assuming it is comparable in terms of input lag, I have little doubt the VA panel will end up being better for gaming. VA has a much higher contrast ratio, plus no IPS glow which is more of an issue with bigger panel sizes like this one.

The tearing issue happens while connected via DP 1.1, DP 1.2 and HDMI 2.0 @60Hz (I have a GTX970), so it's not an issue that's limited to any particular connector..

Hey dude, question:

I had not thought of trying out the HDMI output on my 980, because the monitors manual says it requires DP to get 60hz. Can you confirm that you are getting 60hz using the HDMI 2.0 output from your 970? Because the way I read the manual, the HDMI input on the monitor will not support 2.0 (thereby limiting you to 50z) so it would be irrelevant what kind of HDMI output your video card had.

Please confirm your LG is supporting HDMI 2.0 input (I am not at home to test this for about 10 days).

This tearing this is quite annoying (like the other guy said, what if it gets worse!). I would be interesting in testing HDMI 2.0 when I get home but would like to hear if you can confirm you are able to select 60hz as the refresh rate using this connection.

Thx

Hey dude, question:

Please confirm your LG is supporting HDMI 2.0 input (I am not at home to test this for about 10 days).

This tearing this is quite annoying (like the other guy said, what if it gets worse!). I would be interesting in testing HDMI 2.0 when I get home but would like to hear if you can confirm you are able to select 60hz as the refresh rate using this connection.

Thx

Yes, it most certainly does.
I was skeptical about it when I first heard of it, but after creating a custom 3440x1440 @60Hz resolution and applying it, I was pleasantly surprised :)

I assume LG chose not to advertise the HDMI 2.0 support mainly due to the monitor being released well before any HDMI 2.0-supporting products (or even the spec itself) were released to the public. Had they advertised this support from the start, there'd probably be too many [uninformed people with anger management issues] returning it because "HDMI 2.0 doesn't work for them", not realizing they also need a device that supports it as an output.
The best thing about HDMI 2.0 on this display is that the "tearing" is literally the only issue left. All the sleep issues, the window resize issues, et cetera are non-present over HDMI.

The only downside I can think of is that HDMI 2.0 may still have a slightly higher input delay than DisplayPort, but even if that's the case - I can't honestly say I've noticed it, and I'm usually obsessively sensitive to input lag.

Well I decided to play the panel lottery and buy a 34um94 from newegg for $879. Maybe I'll get lucky. If not I'll return and wait for the AOC or something. Tired of waiting on Dell to announce the 3415w in the us. If it happens this year, I'll still be within my return Window if it has awesome reviews.

Well I decided to play the panel lottery and buy a 34um94 from newegg for $879. Maybe I'll get lucky. If not I'll return and wait for the AOC or something. Tired of waiting on Dell to announce the 3415w in the us. If it happens this year, I'll still be within my return Window if it has awesome reviews.

Lol.. just couldn't wait another 2 weeks for the AOC, could ya? :p

Lol.. just couldn't wait another 2 weeks for the AOC, could ya? :p

Lol I would have but its going to be more expensive then what I am getting the lg for....I only wanted the aoc if it was cheaper.

But I might be going that way still if I don't get lucky and get a good panel from the lg :p

PC Gamer liked the AOC 34":

http://www.pcgamer.com/aoc-u3477pqu-review/

Of course, they like many of us make this comment:
"The only thing I could possibly want over and above this is for AOC to work out how to get a 144Hz refresh rate and G-Sync into an IPS panel."

I made the same comment about my LG 34"
:)

Maybe 2015 will bring exactly this wish :)

Hoping the Samsung 34" turns out well because the Asus PG278Q is a dud. Too many issues for me.

Back