34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Is a 2gb gpu going to be enough to reasonably game on this thing? (680 GTX but I'm also wondering about my laptop)

Nox

So... All these months later... There is NO solution to the infuriating problem with windows being moved around when this monitor is powered off/on, right? I use Actual Window Manager and it helps a lot, but this problem is still annoying as hell. Anyone?

^ Yep, it's confirmed to be a DP port issue. That's why I'm so curious to see if the DP to Thunderbolt connection would work, and if the problem persists...

I'm running a pair of Titans. Not sure if HDMI @ 60 Hz would work for me.

Given all the issues I've had, I've developed a hatred of DP.

Is a 2gb gpu going to be enough to reasonably game on this thing? (680 GTX but I'm also wondering about my laptop)

Nox

Depends on what games you want to do. I had a 34UM95 and had no issues running it off a single 680 (later switched monitors and upgraded to SLI) but when i had that setup, it worked fine for what i play, which is mostly Mobas and WoW and the occasional AAA title.

I mostly play mmorpg's. Currently lotro and I'm still looking for a vanguard replacement :(. Am enjoying the ffxiv trial at the moment, so maybe that too.

Nox

Enjoying the monitor with my 7950, but still trying to get use to. Going from three 24 to a 34 is a big change. The judgement is still out.

At one time I was able to find a driver to fix the 'Generic PnP Monitor' in Device Manager. But now I can no longer find the thread that had it posted. Does anyone have a fix for it? It's not a big deal or anything but just a small niggle I would to correct again.

Win 7 incase that's needed.

Lord, that's pretty OCD. I'd hate to be the one fly in your meth lab.

At one time I was able to find a driver to fix the 'Generic PnP Monitor' in Device Manager. But now I can no longer find the thread that had it posted. Does anyone have a fix for it? It's not a big deal or anything but just a small niggle I would to correct again.

Win 7 incase that's needed.

Yeah I know.

I can't help it now that I had it changed at one point I liked seeing LG 34UM95-P instead of Generic PnP Monitor.

:D

I used one of the discs that came with my monitor. If you still have yours, that's one way to do it.

I couldn't find it searching online.

At one time I was able to find a driver to fix the 'Generic PnP Monitor' in Device Manager. But now I can no longer find the thread that had it posted. Does anyone have a fix for it?

Found it! Direct download of 34UM95 driver..

http://www.lge.co.kr/upload/SW_PDS/34UM95_Driver.zip

And here's the support page for that driver (KR), if needed..

http://www.lgservice.co.kr/cs_lg/download/SoftwareDownloadDetailCmd.laf?cSeq=8511&cCatCode=SW07

Lord, that's pretty OCD. I'd hate to be the one fly in your meth lab.

:D

Watch a widescreen movie that'll tip you over
I'm starting to like it more and more. The three screens afforded more screen area, but took up way too much space. The opposite for the um95. Playing games is something I am getting use to.

Just received my warranty replacement from LG...it appears to be the Korean version and not the 34UM95-P, but it does indicate revision 03. While my issue with green lines is not occurring, instead I have a much less pronounced issue with visible blue dotted lines in dark places. I'm beginning to think there is a defect in this monitor's panels. I have changed my graphics card twice (initially I had a 780Ti, then a 760, now a 980 GTX) and it has not changed. I'm using DisplayPort exclusively.

Anyone have any possible ideas here? I'm not sure where else to go.

EDIT: Here is an image, not sure if you guys can see it well. But the blue dots that seem to be in a line, those are showing up all over in games and 3d apps where there are dark spots.

Hey guys, I have a question about this display and I hope someone has a knowledgeable answer:

Would a mini displayport source directly connected to the Thunderbolt port work?
Obviously, I'm not expecting it to work like a pure Thunderbolt connection to support daisy-chaining or highspeed bus, but would it work as a display?

Anyone care to try?

Thanks!

Well I thought it would using a DVI to mini-displayport adaptor, but it's not working. Displayport works fine however. Anyone have any ideas about using the thunderbolt ports?

Much thanks! Also found an unusually detailed U3415W dimension sheet..

C9FlhGE.jpg

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_Display/dell-u3415w-monitor_Concept%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Wish they would just release the damn thing already.

To confirm, on this dell, can you run 3440 x 1440 @ 60hz via the DP connection? On the LGs, curved and flat, you are required to run DP to get 3440 x 1440 (HDMI is limited to 50z on those monitors at 3440 x 1440)

From skimming the Dell manual, it says to get 3440 x 1440 @ 60hz you have to run it via HDMI 2.0. It doesn't mention if its DP is limited or not at native res. (unless I missed it).

I would THINK it would be fine over DP @ 60 hz, but wanted to ask if anyone else had an opinion.

EDIT:

I just checked the specs and found out the GTX 980 Im running has HDMI 2.0 output, so the above question wouldn't really be that important to me, but it would be important to guys who need to connect it via DP)

Curious if you guys think this monitor would be a bit snappier (i.e., less lag / blur) in games than the LG 34 inchers (flat or curved)

Last edited:
To confirm, on this dell, can you run 3440 x 1440 @ 60hz via the DP connection? On the LGs, curved and flat, you are required to run DP to get 3440 x 1440 (HDMI is limited to 50z on those monitors at 3440 x 1440)

From skimming the Dell manual, it says to get 3440 x 1440 @ 60hz you have to run it via HDMI 2.0. It doesn't mention if its DP is limited or not at native res. (unless I missed it).

I would THINK it would be fine over DP @ 60 hz, but wanted to ask if anyone else had an opinion.

According to the manual, it supports 3440x1440 @60Hz over DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 2.0, though it doesn't specifically state anywhere in the manual that it does 60Hz with DP1.1a, the monitor's default setting.

This is all I could find about it..

bN5irTS.jpg

2ZA4wDd.jpg

^ And if I'm reading things correctly, you can run a single cable from DP1.2 to the first U3415W, and then another cable from that display to a 2nd U3415W, and have both at 3440x1440 @60Hz?

Why's nobody talking of the Philips BDM3470UP? Isn't it the only alternative to the LG as long as AOC doesn't release his own product? All the others are curved so not exactly the same ballpark imho.

It would be nice to know if it uses the same LG panel of the others but the only review I saw were in svedish and afaik not mentioning that detail.

^ And if I'm reading things correctly, you can run a single cable from DP1.2 to the first U3415W, and then another cable from that display to a 2nd U3415W, and have both at 3440x1440 @60Hz?

That's how I read it as well.

Would a custom resolution work? I don't know if thats possible over display port.

No.

For some stupid reason all IPS monitors are locked to 60Hz except the chinese ones from ebay that can be overclocked.

The least Dell can do is give us true 50Hz & 48Hz modes which take less bandwidth than 60Hz.

Last edited:
No.

For some stupid reason all IPS monitors are locked to 60Hz except the chinese ones from ebay that can be overclocked.

The least Dell can do is give us true 50Hz & 48Hz modes which take less bandwidth than 60Hz.

That isn't true. There are plenty of monitors that can do greater than 60hz. Most can't go much above 60hz without frameskipping but many can at least do 72hz which just so happens to be a multiple of 24. For instance, Dell 29" 21:9 and my own AOC 21:9 monitor can both handle 72hz without issue. FWIW, my AOC can also run 24hz though I would never do that.

Is there an easy way to decrease the brightness on this monitor via calibration? I turned the brightness down to 0 on the monitor and it is still way too bright! The only calibrator I have access to is a Spyder 2, is there an easy way to do this in OSX?

Ok, so on the LG 34UM95, what can I use my two thunderbolt connectors for? Tried using a DVI to mini-displayport adapter and that wasn't detected, so I'm just using HDMI (for my laptop) and displayport (for my main PC).

Also switching inputs is very very annoying. I need to go to left select the menu, select easy control, scroll down to input, right select, and then pick my inputs. Who designed this terrible UI? But this can't be right and I'm hoping I missed something. Any ideas on how to switch between inputs easily?

If this is simply bad design and I'm stuck with it, any external options I can purchase to be able to switch between inputs easily?

the two thunderbolt connections are for daisy-chaining thunderbolt devices only, not for use as separate mini-DP inputs.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how Newegg handles backlight bleeding for returns?

Might grab a 34UM94-P through them but am worried about bleed.

Does anyone know how Newegg handles backlight bleeding for returns?

Might grab a 34UM94-P through them but am worried about bleed.

I gathered from this post in the thread about the curved 34UC97 that LG doesn't consider BLB a defect, but that Newegg does, so it should give you some recourse as far as obtaining an RMA.

So I've finally cut ties with this monitor after a couple replacements that both displayed various levels of colored lines. My original 34UM95 had green lines that would show up in grey or dark scenes. LG sent a replacement which arrived as the international version (rev 03), and it had dotted blue lines in places where there was black on the right side of the screen.

The LG rep I spoke with indicated that due to these defects in the panels, they had no more monitors to provide as replacements and instead offered a full refund of my purchase price + tax since there was no ETA on when they may have supply of these monitors again.

Interestingly, the letter I got promising me my refund makes mention of how the monitors will be "disposed of in accordance with EPA regulations". It seems as though LG is getting rid of at least this early batch of monitors rather than trying to refurbish them. I went with a 34UC97 and it has none of the problems I ran into with the UM95. I would strongly caution anyone against buying the UM95 at least until there is more concrete information of a new revision that fixes all the panel issues.

Jesus!

bummer to read about all these defects. I have the flatscreen LG 34" and had no problems with it.

Bought it from newegg. And then had a friend ship it from Las Vegas to Germany (I'm an expat). No problems when it showed up. No dead pixels and no strange green lines or blue dots. Im guessing I am a bit less critical than a photo studio guy when it comes to black light bleed and ips glow since it seems fine to me for Windows 8 use as well as gaming. Games like Fallout New Vegas look amazing!

Not sure when the panel was made, but I'm guessing it was an early model as I bought it a while ago.

Bummer LG couldn't keep their QC up to snuff for this model. I really love the monitor (though I do wish it was a bit "faster", so to speak, after gaming on an Asus PG278Q at 144z....)

I just got a 2nd 34um95 on Newegg for $869.

Wtf.. it's $869 for the UM95 from Adorama via Newegg, but $999 at Adorama. And $849 for the UM94 from Newegg via eBay, but $1099 at Newegg.

I really don't get why these shops are now doing weird intermediary deals like this.. and like some others over at SD, I'm wondering how such a 3rd-party purchase (even authorized dealer via authorized dealer) affects the mfg warranty.

Interesting notes: LG is stating they will only honor the warranty if purchased from an authorized dealer, and not from eBay or a 3rd-party. Newegg is stating their UM94 at eBay only has a 1-year warranty (no Newegg invoice is provided), and supposedly, LG will only honor the 3-year UM94 warranty if it's registered to a business, otherwise it's 1-year.

:confused:

Anyone with this display and a 980? Interessting to see if one 980 card is enough or not

Back