34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Last I tried SLI and CF (4 years ago), the FPS maybe was higher with two cards, but the games didn't feel smoother for it. In fact, with two cards, staying above 60FPS was more essential than it was with one card. Is this still the case?

How well does SLI scale with a uber-modded skyrim?

I find SLI does scale much better then it used to. Back in the day when I had SLI GTX 280's I had much more issues with SLI then I do now. Really the only issues I have now is if the game will support SLI, all the ones that do run very well. I also think for the money SLI GTX 970's are a great deal, considering it is not much more then 1 GTX 980.

You could also always get one GPU and if you find it is not enough purchase a second one.

Last I tried SLI and CF (4 years ago), the FPS maybe was higher with two cards, but the games didn't feel smoother for it. In fact, with two cards, staying above 60FPS was more essential than it was with one card. Is this still the case?

How well does SLI scale with a uber-modded skyrim?

SLi is far better than it was 4 years ago. I think anyone thinking SLi is a mess is just a delusional/misinformed kid who just read it off an old forum post. NVidia has made huge strides to make SLi seamless (all you have to do is enable it - no messing around with game profiles or anything)

And Skyrim in particular? I have absolutely no clue why idiots think it doesn't scale well in SLi at all. ENB's can tax your GPU's as hard as you want it too - K ENB's push it to near mining level loads.

It's just Skyrim's base engine does still leave a few bottlenecked spots/scenarios. but that doesn't happen anywhere near enough compared to the fps gains from SLi. Of course, modded Skyrim eats vram - especially at this resolution. I've hit the cap on my Titans (yes, all 6gb), but I also hoard every 4k+ texture I can find because I have a Titan. Ironic that doing so had me hitting the cap I thought I wouldn't reach

Tried to add my old Mini Displayport to DVI adapter monitor to the 2nd TB connection on the monitor last night. No dice. Research indicates that if the LG functions the same way as a Apple TB display then it will never work, the only thing to do it put another TB device in the chain (such as a Seagate TB Drive adapter) then hang the monitor off there.

Question is: Has anyone actually tried this with the LG monitor?

thanks,
RDP

Here's my LG 35UC97. The curve looks cool. But probably not worth $300 over the flat one. I'm happy with it though. This replaces a 2560x1600 30" Apple Cinema from 2004.

And so you can see the curve:

Here's my LG 35UC97. The curve looks cool. But probably not worth $300 over the flat one. I'm happy with it though. This replaces a 2560x1600 30" Apple Cinema from 2004.

That is nice!. It may be worth the extra $300 if it's less prone to build quality issues like the UM95....I can confirm, mine has some pretty bad bleed in 1 corner. I think a lot of us here would like to see some photos in the dark of a black screen.

Nice 3D controller BTW.

^this

The curve looks great man!! Can you tell us your overall experience with it. I still got some time to return my flat one and seriously considering the curve if the backlight bleed is less than the flat. I only doing photoshop and gaming so it might worth $300 extra.

Well these pictures are a bit exaggerated. Maybe I don't know how to take them properly but it doesn't look this bad in person. I can't even see the left corner bleed with my eyes at all. They only come out in the camera. The right two I can see, but about 25% size of what's shown there and it's much darker...not orange like it looks in the picture.

If I move my head a bit to the right, I can't see it at all. Vertical location of viewing makes a difference as you can see in the other two pictures. Again, it's nowhere near as bad as the camera makes it look.

The lights that aren't in the corner are just reflections...my blinds don't block out all the light in the daytime here.

I'm definitely keeping it, as this is not an issue to me and I really like gaming with the wide view vs the 30" I had before.

If even the slightest bit bothers you with full black screen, then you won't want this monitor.

Kitguru just posted their review of the AOC U3477PQU today..

Appears to be shipping in select regions (I think northern Europe, Asia & perhaps Aus), delayed again til November in others (think it was UK), and still no US pricing or release info at all.

Also, just found a somewhat decent deal on the LG UM94 today. Staples now has it in-stock for $952, less $50 VISA Checkout deal.. so $902 shipped (plus taxes). Not as good as the Massdrop deal for $850, but $300 cheaper than Newegg (LINK) right now..

Kinda tempting.

Does anyone that got in on the MD deal know if the stand and the backside of the UM94 is black like the UM65, or silver like the UM95?? Haven't seen any IRL pictures of one yet.

Does anyone that got in on the MD deal know if the stand and the backside of the UM94 is black like the UM65, or silver like the UM95?? Haven't seen any IRL pictures of one yet.

Silver.

That's not a bad deal from Staples. Tax sucks, but if you use your Discover card you can get 5% cashback for online purchases this quarter if you've signed up so that'll help negate it.

UM94 is silver. I think they made a potential problem with the 34UM94/95's--By having the smooth dressed up back cover, there's absolutely no ventilation. I've never used a LED monitor that gets this hot. IME, trapped heat never leads to good things with electronics.

Silver.

That's not a bad deal from Staples. Tax sucks, but if you use your Discover card you can get 5% cashback for online purchases this quarter if you've signed up so that'll help negate it.

Thanks!

Closed my Discover accounts long ago. Too bad their VISA deal won't stack with my $30 off $60 coupon.

Can anyone help me out with an answer to this.
Does anyone have issues with stuttering? i see visual stuttering movement on the outer corners of the screen, in the middle there is no issue.
I tried playing at different picture modes but same thing. Response Time is at High but i still get it.

Also I have a 34um95 from the MassDrop buy. I can't adjust color.. can only choose from presets and change brightness.
Do I need calibration tool to change this?

I have 34um95 and it does not get hot or warm, atleast not yet.
I mean shoot my asgard 2 headphone amp gets really hot in comparison and that's in a steel case.

I mean shoot my asgard 2 headphone amp gets really hot in comparison and that's in a steel case.

Same, mine doesn't get hot at all, and my room temp here right now is 78 F. Back of the monitor is cool to the touch aside from one spot near the center that's a little warm, but nothing compared to how hot my old 3008 WFP got.

Yes I am. You get 60 fps with vsync on alien isolation?
If it helps, I am running GTX 980's in SLI with a 34UM95 and the DP cable that came with the LG and am getting 60FPS with vsync on in Alien Isolation. Fun game btw!

Your headphone amp is not an LCD monitor. I've seen local hotspots on monitors eventually cause discoloration of the display (above the source of heat), or cause the LCD to start delaminating.The worst thing that can happen to amp that runs hot is shortened life of a transistor/cap. Usually a pretty easy repair.

My house was 65F all weekend, and my LG felt slightly warm to the touch around the entire chrome bezel. Makes sense if it was a old CCFL monitor. Being LED, this should not be the be the case. My other 27" LED monitors don't even feel warm--even where there is an internal power supply.

Obviously, the biggest source of heat is on the internal logic board or LED driver board. If they had simply added vent holes near the board that is generating the heat, the rest of the monitor would run substantially cooler, extending life all around. Especially for the components on the board. I've been unable to find any documentation showing how to remove the back cover. Otherwise, I would investigate further.

Hi guys
I am new in this forum. I read a lot of posts of this thread because I am testing now a second one of the LG-34UM95. The first one had a big problem with backlight bleed and I returned it. Now I have a second one an I can still return it. I post a few pictures which I did with two second exposure time. What are you think about it? Is that acceptable for such display or should I take another one?
IMG_5999.JPG

IMG_6000.JPG

IMG_6001.JPG

IMG_6002.JPG

IMG_6003.JPG

Last edited:
If it helps, I am running GTX 980's in SLI with a 34UM95 and the DP cable that came with the LG and am getting 60FPS with vsync on in Alien Isolation. Fun game btw!

Wierd I don't know what it is. I found a guy on youtube that had the same problem with codemaster racing games. They all default to 49fps with vsync. I've tried maybe 50 or so games since I received the monitor months ago and all codemaster racing games except for Dirt 2 and Alien Isolation all run at 49fps everything else is fine at 60. So it isnt a major issue, just annoying.

I opened the config file for Dirt Showdown and it shows that the fps options for 3440x1440 are "29" and "49", just cant get it to recognize 60 unless in the control panel that is the only option for that resolution. I could go down to 1600x1200 and the resolution is capped at 49, so it isn't a bandwidth issue in the cable. If the resolution is 2560x1080 and only has 60 fps refresh rate option then all the games will default to the 60fps. It is only a problem when the resolution has the 30, 50, and 60fps options.

Hi guys
I am new in this forum. I read a lot of posts of this thread because I am testing now a second one of the LG-34UM95. The first one had a big problem with backlight bleed and I returned it. Now I have a second one an I can still return it. I post a few pictures which I did with two second exposure time. What are you think about it? Is that acceptable for such display or should I take another one?

That panel is fucking 11/10 good sir. It looks better than both of my 94-P's - not by a large margin but nonetheless slightly better. That's got quite a good bit of glow to it though (insignificant amount of bleeding), just out of curiousity what is your brightness set to? If you turn it down to like 40ish I'd venture to say you'll even get rid of the glow.

Waldemar: That looks quite good to me.

Are you still unhappy with it for some reason? Is that glow bothering you somehow? Don't get too caught up in the drama surrounding the backlight glow in this thread if you're otherwise satisfied with the monitor.

Unless, of course, you spend your days staring at solid black screens in totally darkened rooms. :p

Waldemar: Definitely keep it, unless you have some other reason to return. Heck, if you put that up for sale, it may be gone within hours here.

I tried two of these monitors, two different retailers, two different revisions... they were both much much worse that what that. Basically, IPS glow is inevitable with this flat panel, and as long as you don't have light bleed (which you don't) there is no problem.

Enjoy! I envy you a bit since I had to return mine for financial reasons... :)

Hi guys,

thanks for your quick answers. I thing the brightness was set on 45 as I took the picutres. I don´t remember. Now I have set on 20. I will try to do some pics with the brightness set on 20 and will post it. Thanks once again for yours feedback.

Hi guys,

thanks for your quick answers. I thing the brightness was set on 45 as I took the picutres. I don´t remember. Now I have set on 20. I will try to do some pics with the brightness set on 20 and will post it. Thanks once again for yours feedback.

You just want to tease us with your perfect display.

Honestly if you don't want this one you could prob sell it for more than you paid for it from one of the guys in this forum. That monitor is that good.

For anybody in Arlington, TX area....I went to frys yesterday and they have the 34uc97 on display and they had one for sell. Suprised me.

For anybody in Arlington, TX area....I went to frys yesterday and they have the 34uc97 on display and they had one for sell. Suprised me.

Bought my 34UM95-P there a month ago, and I have been very pleased.

For Productivity this thing is tops. I like the fact I can display 3 pages side by side of Word, Excel or a PDF. I also like the Screen split mode. Been using that quite a bit.

Only thing I need now is a better video card so I can run the monitor in full Display Port 1.2 mode. My old Radeon HD7850 results in horizontal screen tearing only on the right side of the screen when running a Mini-Display Port to Display Port 1.2 cable.

So I'm curious if I'm looking at IPS glow or backlight bleed.

When I take a picture with my iphone it brightness the darkness and makes the monitor and any light source brighter. This results in a very yellow corners around the monitor covering almost a fourth of the screen with most yellowing near the bottom left corner. Something with my eyes I see much less yellowing.

However, when I take a time lapse video it looks more like waldermar's picture where there is very little yellow color at all and some white lights around the edges but very minor.

What I see in dark room is something in between the two. I can definitely tell there is a yellow hue to a completely black screen around the corners (more so on bottom left corner) but I don't necessarily see a white light when I look at the edge that I would consider a bad bleed. I'm wondering if this is just a downside of a wide screen with IPS display or if I actually do have backlight bleed on all corners.

Are people with perfect displays noticing the yellow corners too?

when watching 21:9 movies i can barely notice it but watching videos with black bars I do notice it

FWIW, I spoke with 2 different AOC representatives about the U3477PQU and both said it would be available in the USA sometime in November.

Finally pulled the trigger. Purchased the um95 from Newegg. Should receive it within 2 weeks. Haven't been this excited about a piece of technology since my 780s. Post pictures as soon as it arrives.

Finally pulled the trigger. Purchased the um95 from Newegg. Should receive it within 2 weeks. Haven't been this excited about a piece of technology since my 780s. Post pictures as soon as it arrives.

Great. Make sure you check for backlight bleeding. My first one was bad and had lines running through it.

Back