34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

i called costco customer care and according to them monitors have liftetime warranty

Might wanna get that in writing if you didn't already, as CSRs have a bad track record of just telling you whatever they think is best (and this goes regardless of company).

^^ Maybe it's the difference in angle or lighting, but that looks even worse than the one you just sent back..

Well, I just received my 34um95 today from Amazon. It's an August revision, but it suffers from severe backlight bleed.

YPZWfNwl.jpg

You guys willing to go through all the trouble of disassembling the screen, packing it and returning it, instead of just slightly adjusting the panel's seating in the frame and unclipping the bottom bezel really baffles me.

We know by now what causes most of the bleed and how to fix it, why go through all that trouble?:confused:

You guys willing to go through all the trouble of disassembling the screen, packing it and returning it, instead of just slightly adjusting the panel's seating in the frame and unclipping the bottom bezel really baffles me.

We know by now what causes most of the bleed and how to fix it, why go through all that trouble?:confused:
Because for a $1,000 monitor we shouldn't have to go through the trouble of fixing it ourselves. If the products were never returned there would be no chance of the manufacturer ever realizing that there is a problem.

^ this. I was lucky to get a golden panel, but it would've sucked hard if I had to play the panel lottery like many are having to do :(

Still, this is the case for every panel, not just for this monitor. Just because a monitor costs $1000 doesn't make it exempt, just how you can get a bad $3000 NEC professional monitor with a bad pixel, or a bad $30,000 4K Projector from Sony. The main issue is that LG isn't doing proper QC on these panels before they leave the factory, not that bad panels exist. It's obvious they're color calibrating these for the reports you get, at least...

Any updates on the issue of Windows thinking the display is unplugged when it goes into sleep mode?

When my Windows 8.1 box w/ GTX 780 (latest drivers) tries to enter power save mode on the monitor the 34UM95 says "No signal" and "Entering the power saving mode shortly", powers down, then powers itself back up ~5 seconds later. The "Entering the power saving mode shortly" message pops up again and repeats in an infinite loop. The monitor is connected via DisplayPort.

I'm stuck telling Windows to never turn off the display and manually power cycle the display (which has re-arranged windows in the upper-left).

Ideas?

Any updates on the issue of Windows thinking the display is unplugged when it goes into sleep mode?

When my Windows 8.1 box w/ GTX 780 (latest drivers) tries to enter power save mode on the monitor the 34UM95 says "No signal" and "Entering the power saving mode shortly", powers down, then powers itself back up ~5 seconds later. The "Entering the power saving mode shortly" message pops up again and repeats in an infinite loop. The monitor is connected via DisplayPort.

I'm stuck telling Windows to never turn off the display and manually power cycle the display (which has re-arranged windows in the upper-left).

Ideas?
What helped me somewhat with this issue was a combination of things:
- Disable DisplayPort 1.2
- Set the display to "Generic non-PnP Monitor"
- Create a native Custom Resolution (change something minor like timings mode or 59/61Hz)

You could always create and force a custom EDID, but I've yet to find a safe and sure way to do it. The problem seems to be that the monitor's EDID is sometimes detected, other times not.

No issues for my sleep mode. Sapphire R9 290X Crossfire here, default settings outside of calibration. DisplayPort 1.2 was disabled by default from factory on my Rev .02 -- no idea why people keep enabling it unless they use applications that require it, since it gives no benefit to the other 99% of programs out there...

hi all. Short update from me.

I now have this monitor hooked to the system in my sig.

Short version of my thoughts:
+Huge viewable desktop area. Things like opening one folder full of files and having to move specific ones to another folder, etc, are much easier/faster than my previous del 27" 2560x1440
+An advantage (by literally seeing more than the other players) in some games that support it. Examples are WarThunder, Wargame Red Dragon, GuildWars 2
+Games at 60hz. Some less educated user said to me "Good luck gaming at 30hz again." Again, this monitor is 60hz as long as you use the DP connection, and not HDMI (HDMI is limited to 50hz). Of course, I use the DisplayPort connector to my Titan.
+The number of tabs you can have open in a web browser is amazing

-colors seem a bit too dark compared to my older Dell 27" U2711. Brightness is turned all the way up and some games are simply too dark where I have to start raising the brightness up in the actual game menu.
-It's not GSYNC so against guys with those monitors in a fast first person shooter game, you are at a disadvantage.
-Some games don't support this res at all, and you will be playing at 2560x1440 with black "letterbox" type bars on the side of the game. Example, a game i love and occasionally play thru start to finish: Fallout New Vegas. On the + side, after a few minutes, the letter box bars are hardly noticeable at all.

Overall thoughts:
Very nice for windows productivity and web browsing
Nice for games that support it and are not benefited from a refresh rate faster than 60hz
Not so great for fast first person shooters where other players are starting to pick up 120/144hz GSYNC monitors

-Some games don't support this res at all, and you will be playing at 2560x1440 with black "letterbox" type bars on the side of the game. Example, a game i love and occasionally play thru start to finish: Fallout New Vegas. On the + side, after a few minutes, the letter box bars are hardly noticeable at all.

Thanks for your impressions! FYI, New Vegas can be made to run in 3440x1440 and at a custom FOV with an .ini edit:

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/fallout-new-vegas/en

Found an update on the status of the AOC U3477Pqu over at OCUK..

..it seems that things aren't quite finalised. An October release is likely, possibly mid-October, with an expected street price of £549 or so. A curved variant is also in the works but I can't confirm anything more about that publically.

Hope AOC gets their shit together sooner rather than later. I'm getting very tired of waiting, and just considering going with something else if I don't hear any US release info this month.

The 3440x1440 monitors slide in nicely between the 2560x1440 and the 4k monitors. A bit pricey still but that should change as manufacturing and production picks up. The 34UM95 is great if you want something bigger than a 30" but don't want to go triple screen set up. Also you dont have to go 3 or 4 GPU either. CF and SLI is the most you will need and a single 290x or equivalent can do the job. Newer cards will also make CF and SLI for this resolution less needed. Which is a good thing. As long as the Devs keep supporting 3440x1440 these monitors should be around for some time to come. :D

Thanks for your impressions! FYI, New Vegas can be made to run in 3440x1440 and at a custom FOV with an .ini edit:

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/fallout-new-vegas/en

Dude, will try this next week. Thanks man:

Ultra-Widescreen (21:9) Specific Solution & Issues
For 3440x1440:
In the options panel in the New Vegas launcher
Select 16:9 aspect ratio
Set the resolution to 2560x1440

Edit Fallout_default.ini in game directory, Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini in Documents\My games\FalloutNV:
(FalloutPrefs.ini directly affects the game so you only have to edit this one)

[Display]
Modify iSize w from iSize W=2560, to iSize W=3440
Change fDefaultFOV from fDefaultFOV=75, to fDefaultFOV=95

[RenderedTerminal]
Change fRenderedTerminalZoom=33 to fRenderedTerminalZoom=75

Scheduled Delivery:
Friday, 09/12/2014, By End of Day

Something of mine just got [H]ard...and it wasn't my soon-to-be new monitor setup. I really don't want to have to go out of town this weekend...damn it all to hell.

Does the Dell overclock? Surely someone has tried it by now.

I've heard that the 29" 1080p version could hit 75hz.

Wow. Just wow. LG's quality control is horrendous. It is really horrendous. Just compare the bleeding between the 3 different 34um95's I got from Amazon. The brightness was set to 30%. The yellow glow is visible even when I have my curtains open and the room lit.

Latest:

Yesterday:

The first one I received:

YPZWfNwl.jpg

Last edited:
@Derkspector

I'm afraid you're right. I don't think this monitor is right for the audience that LG is advertising to. I mean, their video and box graphics target the professional/semi-professional crowd. The poor quality control, excessive light bleed, yellowish hue in the corners, just speaks to what kind of company LG has become. I feel like they're putting all the low quality panels into their higher end, more expensive 34um95 and perhaps putting the good panels in the 34um94.

Time to find another monitor that has the same resolution; whenever it may come out.

I feel like they're putting all the low quality panels into their higher end, more expensive 34um95 and perhaps putting the good panels in the 34um94.

Time to find another monitor that has the same resolution; whenever it may come out.

Huh? The 34UM95 isn't higher end from what I've read; it's just the consumer version while the 34UM94 is the commercial or "Pro" version and carries 3x the warranty. So for most people the 34UM94 is going to be preferred if you can get your hands on one; they just aren't as readily available as the 34UM95. But at the end of the day I'm thinking that LG is using the same panels and QC for both units as they're probably rolling off of the same production line. I hope I'm wrong of course, since I have a 34UM94 arriving tomorrow, but I don't expect it to be any better built than the 34UM95. Would be a nice surprise though!

Well I finally cancelled my 34um94 order from Massdrop. This thing was a mess. The drop was suppose to be shipped early September, finally only half the drop came. I was part of the second batch and it will be shipped most likely early October. They agreed to refund me since I wont be in USA after September. Kind of happy since I see so many bad reviews. I was hopping for the panels to be fixed by August. Now I am stuck with an Ergotron MX mount new in box, and I'm hoping those new 34 curved monitor will have vesa mounts. the Lg one doesn't (34uc97). Hopefully the dell or AOC will....

Well I finally cancelled my 34um94 order from Massdrop. This thing was a mess. The drop was suppose to be shipped early September, finally only half the drop came. I was part of the second batch and it will be shipped most likely early October. They agreed to refund me since I wont be in USA after September. Kind of happy since I see so many bad reviews. I was hopping for the panels to be fixed by August. Now I am stuck with an Ergotron MX mount new in box, and I'm hoping those new 34 curved monitor will have vesa mounts. the Lg one doesn't (34uc97). Hopefully the dell or AOC will....

Are they allowing cancellation now for 2nd batches? I guess I have to lie to them that I'm moving out of country or something in October too. I guess I'll wait and see how the first batch people reviews the monitor. if there are no blacklight bleeds i will wait but if it starts this pandemonium of people having bleeds I'll probably tell them the same thing and get my money back.

First person to review their lg on massdrop has no bleeds apparently:
"Got my monitor today, it's nice living in Philly. I'm not a monitor aficionado but I don't notice a huge amount of backlight bleeding. Maybe the tiniest spots along the bottom, but it's barely noticeable on a black screen and not at all in regular use. Also, I have it hooked up to an old AMD Brazos E-350 laptop via HDMI and the refresh is stuck at 30hz. It can handle 2560x1080 at 60hz."

Last edited:
Their email is stating that they usually don't do exceptions, but in my case they did, I have to say I am happy with their customer service. I don't think they will be stuck with those monitors, clearly there is a huge demand at that price. Now I am stuck without monitor for a long time, I guess early 2015. My Samsung SA950d that I bought for 500$ + 2 years ago just died on me like that..... I don't live in the state so no warranty coverage here in Guatemala. I bought in in Montreal ( I'm a Canadian expat)

Last edited:

See this post:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041084631&postcount=90

Decided to pull the trigger on the 34UM94-P for $899 at superbiiz. My Qnix 2710 just died and my squaretrade warranty will at least cover some of the cost!

Wow that look amazing, I'm ready to wait like 6 months for this, I wonder how much more it will be. I guess 200 300 + maybe ! Thanks for the hope lol. I did not get my gadget now lol, but Ill buy a moto 360 in the mean time to fulfill my gadget need !

any preset mode or settings to use for the first 2 weeks that i wont calibrate it?? cinema with 30 brightness for movies and games?

My 34UM94 arrived a couple of hours ago; I'm almost afraid to open it lol. I'll let 'er sit a while longer.

My 34UM94 arrived a couple of hours ago; I'm almost afraid to open it lol. I'll let 'er sit a while longer.

Well, while you are sitting there intimidated by the presence of the gods, I dove head first and not only unboxed, but threw them both on the ghetto included stand.

10614157_10202776745879520_592733699327640313_n.jpg

Unfortunately, I now have to eat a quick dinner and drive 6 hours to the Big Apple for the weekend and will not get to even fire them up before departure. Sometimes life is one cruel bitch.

Unfortunately, I now have to eat a quick dinner and drive 6 hours to the Big Apple for the weekend and will not get to even fire them up before departure. Sometimes life is one cruel bitch.
Story of my life as well. Mines is schedules for Wednesday delivery and I'm traveling for work that day. Luckily brother's home to sign for me.

I hope both comes out good.

Well, while you are sitting there intimidated by the presence of the gods, I dove head first and not only unboxed, but threw them both on the ghetto included stand.

LOL. To be fair, my post was partially made in jest. It isn't so much that I'm not opening it because I'm scared of how it'll look. It's more that this thing took a little longer to arrive than I anticipated, and with curved ones as well as a VA panel variant announced between the day that I committed to buying this and the day that I received it, I want to make sure that I won't want those instead and that I'll be keeping this around for a while. If I open it, even if just to set it up and gawk at it, that's less money I'll get if I resell it because it's technically not new anymore. I've really fallen in love with my recently purchased BL3200PT which has superb blacks and no backlight bleed or IPS glow...so this one will need to be a knockout of a monitor to win me over.

Right now I'm leaning toward opening it. If the curved ones or the VA version prove to be worthy successors then I can always migrate this one to the office and buy one of those to replace it.

And fwiw, I hope yours turn out great. It sucks that you couldn't experience them in their glory today, but you'll have something to look forward to when you get back!

Back