34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Bout to pull the trigger on this with the newegg bitcoin deal 999-$150.

The UM95 was my first thought too when I heard about their Bitcoin deal ;)

Shame it's only $150 off $500.. $300 off $1,000 would've been a no brainer.

John721, display port.

I'm going to say normal. High black level simply means the monitor is set to expect and work with a full range RGB 0-255 signal. Which is what is common for PC and typical video card use. It's what you want.

If you check the manual, you'll see you can only choosen beteen low/high for HDMI connections.

I've hooked up my UM95 to an Ergotron LX wall mount, really happy with it :)

C8cb.jpg

^ lookin snazzy! Uh, except for those external speakers not being placed to left and right of monitor (it's not for visual symmetry, it's for sound quality)...

I know :p Those are Z5500s (5.1), I have two other speakers on the right side, just was cropped out from the pic.

I'm going to say normal. High black level simply means the monitor is set to expect and work with a full range RGB 0-255 signal. Which is what is common for PC and typical video card use. It's what you want.

If you check the manual, you'll see you can only choosen beteen low/high for HDMI connections.

Oh ok. Thank you very much for your help.I went to check the pdf online manual and it did mention the setting is only available on hdmi connection.

Can you make a video of how you do it? :)
I've tried, but the subtle shifts in luminance that occur when I nudge the panel are nearly invisible for my camera, it's difficult to see the point of what I'm doing on the video :(

On an unrelated note - is there any way to prevent the Power LED from glowing when the display is in Sleep mode? A piece of bubblegum is far from optimal :)
There's an option to disable the indicator when it's on, but it doesn't affect Sleep.

So...I bit the bullet and ordered on Amazon.

2x Ergotron LX mounts
1x 34um95

I already have a u2412m and a S27B970D.

I've tried, but the subtle shifts in luminance that occur when I nudge the panel are nearly invisible for my camera, it's difficult to see the point of what I'm doing on the video :(

On an unrelated note - is there any way to prevent the Power LED from glowing when the display is in Sleep mode? A piece of bubblegum is far from optimal :)
There's an option to disable the indicator when it's on, but it doesn't affect Sleep.

My power light is off when my monitor goes to sleep >_>

I have default options enabled, rev .02

All told I have to say my interest in 21:9 is a bit further along than I expected it to be.

Based on my lurking in threads like these I'm guessing waiting for the curved options would probably be the best thing to do if I'm considering jumping into these waters?

All told I have to say my interest in 21:9 is a bit further along than I expected it to be.

Based on my lurking in threads like these I'm guessing waiting for the curved options would probably be the best thing to do if I'm considering jumping into these waters?

Who knows...to each there own as it were...

All I can say is I love my UM95. You want to buy two 30" monitors cheaps....or a 4k 24" dell I paid 1400 for and will let go for peanuts.

There should be some more details on the LG 34UC97 and Philips 21:9 displays coming out of IFA this week. Haven't seen anything yet, though.

..waiting for the curved options would probably be the best thing to do if I'm considering jumping into these waters?

It depends.
All evidence points to the availability of the curved ones to be no sooner than in half a year, and the price being at somewhere between $1,450 and $2,000.
If you have the patience, and will be willing to buy it for that premium? Sure.

I personally love my UM95 as well, it's a solid monitor with relatively low input lag for such a resolution - and I still haven't seen any info on the input lag for curved displays yet.

It depends.
All evidence points to the availability of the curved ones to be no sooner than in half a year, and the price being at somewhere between $1,450 and $2,000.

What evidence are you referring to? The 34UC97 is on-sale direct from LG Bestshops right now for under $1500 USD (directly converted). Comparing prices of that and the 34UM95 in Korea vs US, would lead to an MSRP of ~$1200.

The 34UC97 is supposed to be available in Europe and US at the end of this month according to Korean news sources. And the curved Dell U3415W is due by December of this year (and earlier in China), according to their press release.

34UM94 is now in-stock at a few places. $910 at Provantage and $926 at Antares Pro.

Not quite as cheap as the $850 Massdrop deal, but not too bad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link CHANG3D! I might just pull the trigger on this one.

This is slightly off topic, but are monitors considered "Televisions" for Costco? If they are, then the return policy is 90 days. If they're not considered TV's, then the return policy could really be "lifetime".

I believe they fall into the "Computers" category and carry a 90 day return period.

What evidence are you referring to? The 34UC97 is on-sale direct from LG Bestshops right now for under $1500 USD (directly converted). Comparing prices of that and the 34UM95 in Korea vs US, would lead to an MSRP of ~$1200.
a) The fact that you can't really order one shipped abroad.
b) Notice how I wrote "price" and not "MSRP".

You're right about the MSRP, but its' availability and the price it'll end up being sold for will be very different, if the previous model is any indication.

You're right about the MSRP, but its' availability and the price it'll end up being sold for will be very different, if the previous model is any indication.

Yeah, you could be very right on that. $1200 MSRP, but selling for $1500+ if supply doesn't meet the demand again.

The only one I've seen imported from Korea sold for $2k, so I really don't see direct from LG to Amazon units selling anywhere near that high. Hopefully we'll find out in a few weeks.

Just found a few European pre-orders for €1100 incl. VAT (Amazon.de, not 3rd party), and another stating Oct 2nd as ETA.

34UM97 price is around 28% higher than the 34UM95.. so that works out to a possible $1300 MSRP in the US based on the percentage increase in Europe, or $1200 based on the Korean percentage increase. It all depends on what a particular market will bear.. could be set at $1000 as a direct replacement to the UM95, could be $1500 as a premium model sitting above it.

Well, I just received my 34um95 today from Amazon. It's an August revision, but it suffers from severe backlight bleed.

YPZWfNwl.jpg

Last edited:
That's good news that the U3415W will be curved instead of flat. If that's the case, I'd rather have that version than the LG due to the adjustable stand and hassle-free warranty.

Guess the 34UM94 will have to keep me happy until December. :)

What's the advantage of a curved screen? I had a chance to check out Samsung's curved 4K TVs, but I wasn't exactly wowed by them. Maybe it's just me, but I actually prefer a flat screen. I think Dell should just make two versions to appease people like me.

What's the advantage of a curved screen? I had a chance to check out Samsung's curved 4K TVs, but I wasn't exactly wowed by them. Maybe it's just me, but I actually prefer a flat screen. I think Dell should just make two versions to appease people like me.

Same

A curved screen on a monitor makes more sense since you sit so close to the screen. A slight curve on such a wide monitor allows you to see more of the content easier. But i agree on a TV its a gimmick because unlike the LG your entire field of view is not covered. In fact I would think a curved TV would be worse when viewing on the extreme of one side.

Well, I just received my 34um95 today from Amazon. It's an August revision, but it suffers from severe backlight bleed.
Does it look that bad with your eyes? Is the brightness set to 120 nits in that picture? Remember cameras can exaggerate the bleed.

I'd be more concerned with that cloudy spot on the right side.

A curved screen on a monitor makes more sense since you sit so close to the screen. A slight curve on such a wide monitor allows you to see more of the content easier. But i agree on a TV its a gimmick because unlike the LG your entire field of view is not covered. In fact I would think a curved TV would be worse when viewing on the extreme of one side.

The whole curve thing seems promising in terms of minimizing IPS glow, but I worry about image distortion. At least when it comes to projection, curved surfaces introduce visible "bends" — e.g. 25 sec into this video (the bottom menubar is absolutely straight in-game) — even when viewed straight-on.

The degree of the curve on for ex the Dell U3415W is obviously a lot less, so I may be worrying about nothing. Has anyone had a good look at a panel like this?

@Armenius

It is that bad. I took the image with the monitor at 20% brightness.

The bottom left corner bleed is visible even on non black screens. I can see it when browsing the web.

LG has really screwed up their rep with this monitor. I hope their copy burns down in flames.

I got my replacement today. Amazon 1-day shipped it, but Fedex only delivered it today.

So far, seems like this one doesn't have the clouding in the top right area. I don't know about the rest because it's quite bright right now even with the curtains closed. I'll need to wait till tonight to give it the good look over. The top/bottom left corners still exhibit some issues. It could be IPS glow, but don't know yet.

Amazon just dropped their price on the 34UM95 back down to $999 today.

Oddly, they also added several "used" ones to their Amazon WarehouseDeals listing yesterday.. all stating "cosmetic damage". I'm thinking they're maybe IPS glow returns?

I got the email notification from B&H today. They have them in stock for $999.99.

Back