34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

The LG 34UM95 does indeed need a curve if you sit close to it. I've said this since the day I purchased mine and used it for a few days.

LG-curved-screen.jpg

lg-curved-monitor02.jpg

Can't wait to see the 34UC97 in person....

I want to know how much it'll cost. If it's not that much more than the 34UM95 then I may have a little bit of buyer's remorse...but I can see the curved version selling for several hundred dollars more per monitor in which case, no thanks.

It's almost odd to me that they would offer these at the same time. I'm kind of surprised that they didn't wait to bring out the 34UC97 to replace the (at some point) discontinued 34UM95. That's another reason I foresee a large price variance between the two...otherwise, who would buy the non-curved version? If the 34UC97 was $999 or less, it would basically mean an early death for LG's existing 34" ultrawide monitors. Who knows; guess we'll see.

I want to know how much it'll cost. If it's not that much more than the 34UM95 then I may have a little bit of buyer's remorse...but I can see the curved version selling for several hundred dollars more per monitor in which case, no thanks.

It's almost odd to me that they would offer these at the same time. I'm kind of surprised that they didn't wait to bring out the 34UC97 to replace the (at some point) discontinued 34UM95. That's another reason I foresee a large price variance between the two...otherwise, who would buy the non-curved version? If the 34UC97 was $999 or less, it would basically mean an early death for LG's existing 34" ultrawide monitors. Who knows; guess we'll see.

I doubt it will be 999 dollars. I'm thinking 1500 or more. i guess i'll have to wait to get my hands on the 34um95 before seeing if i should wait for a curved version. i'm sure it'll be nicer to have, but i don't know if it will be worth the cost.

Last edited:
hello ordered lg um95 but in my country they are not include displayport cable...because i have never used one ,what dp cable should i ask the shop to order? 1.2?

hello ordered lg um95 but in my country they are not include displayport cable...because i have never used one ,what dp cable should i ask the shop to order? 1.2?
1.2, and I would recommend getting one that isn't any longer than 3 metres. Signal degradation can occur with cables longer than that, but YMMV.

1.2, and I would recommend getting one that isn't any longer than 3 metres. Signal degradation can occur with cables longer than that, but YMMV.

in greece i cant find 1.2 if i take 1.1 it can produce 3440x1440 or i must order from other country?? i would use hdmi but has only 50hz :(

in greece i cant find 1.2 if i take 1.1 it can produce 3440x1440 or i must order from other country?? i would use hdmi but has only 50hz :(
I think 3440x1440 is supported over 1.1 by this monitor, since there is a toggle for DP 1.2. The only question is if it supports 60Hz at this resolution with a 1.1 cable. At 8-bits per colour, the bit rate for 3440x1440 @ 60Hz is 8.9 Gbps. DP 1.1 supports a maximum bandwidth of 8.64 Gbps, so you might be stuck using a lower refresh rate like 50Hz.

I think 3440x1440 is supported over 1.1 by this monitor, since there is a toggle for DP 1.2. The only question is if it supports 60Hz at this resolution with a 1.1 cable. At 8-bits per colour, the bit rate for 3440x1440 @ 60Hz is 8.9 Gbps. DP 1.1 supports a maximum bandwidth of 8.64 Gbps, so you might be stuck using a lower refresh rate like 50Hz.

it will be the same as use hdmi then...

DP 1.1 runs at 60hz @ 3440x1440, confirmed by anyone who doesn't have DP 1.2 enabled. I'm using the provided cable my 34UM95 came with.

By default the monitor comes with DP 1.1 on. You have to go in and enable DP 1.2 manually (at least for my Rev .02).

DP 1.1 runs at 60hz @ 3440x1440, confirmed by anyone who doesn't have DP 1.2 enabled. I'm using the provided cable my 34UM95 came with.

By default the monitor comes with DP 1.1 on. You have to go in and enable DP 1.2 manually (at least for my Rev .02).

because in my country it doesnt include dp cable i want to know if yours is 1.1 for sure

The provided cable that comes with the 34UM95 is definitely DP1.2, and my monitor is running at DP1.1 (default), because I have no need for DP 1.2.

Unless you're using programs that utilize DP 1.2 and 10bit color, there is no reason to enable DP 1.2 for this monitor. What's more, DP1.2 is buggy with certain videocard drivers right now, so why put up with those problems unless you need 10bit?

they told me that dp 1.1 cant produce the resolution as cable whether you have it enable or not..

I hadn't read about this in a while, so my apologies. Like I was suspecting, there's no such thing as a DP 1.2 cable (hence why all my DP cables work with my monitor the same way):

http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

Moreover, I'm not sure why they'd say that, but maybe I just don't understand enough about this? From the monitor GUI, it says it's running at 60hz. Moreover, in CCC it also says it's running at 60hz. I'm not home right now to take a picture, but mine runs just fine in DP1.1 at 3440x1440 @ 60hz

I think perhaps the default on the monitor may in fact be DP1.1a and not DP1.1? I know DP 1.1 is roughly the same as ThunderBolt 1 (slightly less than what is needed for max resolution and refresh), so maybe that's where the confusion is.

I hadn't read about this in a while, so my apologies. Like I was suspecting, there's no such thing as a DP 1.2 cable (hence why all my DP cables work with my monitor the same way):

http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

Moreover, I'm not sure why they'd say that, but maybe I just don't understand enough about this? From the monitor GUI, it says it's running at 60hz. Moreover, in CCC it also says it's running at 60hz. I'm not home right now to take a picture, but mine runs just fine in DP1.1 at 3440x1440 @ 60hz

I think perhaps the default on the monitor may in fact be DP1.1a and not DP1.1? I know DP 1.1 is roughly the same as ThunderBolt 1 (slightly less than what is needed for max resolution and refresh), so maybe that's where the confusion is.
You're right... Every DP cable has 4 lanes built into it. It just matters if your devices support HBR2 mode.

My research into it on the Net it says there is no such thing as 1.2. I would go by what users here are saying. Which video card you use may make a difference. Make sure it has a DP on it. A full size DP would probably be best.

http://equip-info.net/DisplayPort-Cable/119331/p-44.htm
this one says in features that can produce 4k and under in specs says 2560x1600 ...i am confused
There is Mini-DisplayPort and DisplayPort so check which one do your graphic card have or if it have any?

That cable should be fine I don't think it will be a problem so go ahead and buy it (if your graphic support that DisplayPort).

No Vesa mounting for the LG's new Curved Monitor just kill the fun of that monitor for me since that Monitor Stand is really ugly lol (IMO).

Man there is so many monitor release this year. Lots of 4K, then chep 4K, 21:9 monitor and now 21:9 with curved one. I wonder what we'll get next year? :)

so whatever dp cable i choose it can produce max resolution?
No, not all of them, in my experience.
I've seen random flickering and the display "splitting" with the cheaper cables on 4K displays at 3840x2160 @60Hz, while "higher-quality" cables (was a10ft Accell cable of some sort) did not exhibit this issue.

Here's an official guide, and there's a list of spec-compliant cables in there too.

No, not all of them, in my experience.
I've seen random flickering and the display "splitting" with the cheaper cables on 4K displays at 3840x2160 @60Hz, while "higher-quality" cables (was a10ft Accell cable of some sort) did not exhibit this issue.

Here's an official guide, and there's a list of spec-compliant cables in there too.

so i will try with the equip brand cable and if it doesnt work i will have hdmi for some days until i order accell ultraav from germany...

I had good luck with 4K @ 60 hz on a 15 foot DP cable from CableWholesale.com:

Code:
10H1-60115        DisplayPort Cable, 8.64 Gbit, 15 ft $11.69

Don't bother with the miniDP to DP version - the wire gauge of that one is too thin and only does half screen or no image at all.

i talked with lg and they can sell me the dp cable that provide in um95 package in other countries....

Man there is so many monitor release this year. Lots of 4K, then chep 4K, 21:9 monitor and now 21:9 with curved one. I wonder what we'll get next year? :)

I suspect good quality 4k @ 60Hz monitors and TVs. Right now most of what they are making is lower quality or buggy features. Next year we should see better offerings in 4K at more reasonable prices. At least that's my prediction. :D

i ordered directly from lg the cable that include in other countries....how mamy meters is the dp cable guys? 2m?

i ordered directly from lg the cable that include in other countries....how mamy meters is the dp cable guys? 2m?
I would think it would be. In my experience included cables are typically around 6ft/2m.

I suspect good quality 4k @ 60Hz monitors and TVs. Right now most of what they are making is lower quality or buggy features. Next year we should see better offerings in 4K at more reasonable prices. At least that's my prediction. :D
This almost feels like we need to change our monitor every year :D

Just got my UM65 today and I must say I really like it so far but like everyone else has said this stand is HORRIBLE. Whoever thought this stand was a good idea should be kicked right in the nuts. Not only is it wobbly but it is too low and forces the monitor to angle too far forward. What piece of crap. Time to find a stand for it.

Now to my question is the image not supposed to go all the way to edge of the screen? There is about a 1/4" of black all around my image and I don't see any kind of adjustment to make. I would have thought the image would go all the way to edge of the screen. Windows sees the monitor correctly and the resolution is correct.

This almost feels like we need to change our monitor every year :D

Well, right now we are seeing technology changing and changing fast. We are in a shift right now. Its going to take a while for gamers to catch up to 4k useability considering how many pixels 4K has. Right now 3 or 4 cards cant max out games at 4k. Its going to take AMD and nVidia a couple or three years at least I'm thinking to make the GPUs to do it and then only the higher end users will be able to afford that kind of GPU muscle. Most gamers wont be able to afford it. I think once 4k fully gets here (2015) there will be a leveling off as far as gaming on them goes. The mass of gamers will need time to afford the GPUs not to mention the 4K monitors. They'll need time to catch up basically and it's counted in years not a year. I went 21:9 res because I dont plan to chase 4k for another 2 years at least. Just my own thoughts on it anyway.

I got the LG 34um95 from Adorama for $899 took about 4 weeks of waiting (ordered in July). Paired it with a EVGA 02G-P4-3757-KR 750 ti card. Put the LG on the DisplayPort and my other two monitors (Dell 2407wfp) on DVi and HDMI (HDMI to DVI cable). The DisplayPort cable was included with the 34um95. I had to upgrade my BIOS to get the new card to work. the 34um95 is still using the stand it came with but i bought two Ergotron LX desk mounts for the Dell monitors, definitely the way to go. I tried a sub $30 desk mount from Monoprice and it was crap compared to the Ergotrons. i might get another LX for the 34um95. The only issue i have is when the computer goes to sleep some windows jump from the 34um95 to the monitor connected to the DVI cable. Haven't figured out how to fix that yet. Also the color is noticeably different from my two 2407wfp monitors, i havent calibrated the setup yet. Everything else works really well, glad i bought it!

Has a Rev03 or even 04 been spotted yet? Any significant changes to the casing to reduce the pressure on the screen causing excessive backlight bleed (on average)?

Warning to all.

Do not buy from Ohio Microcenters. They are being very shady and selling returned, backlight bleeding displays as new.

Warning to all.

Do not buy from Ohio Microcenters. They are being very shady and selling returned, backlight bleeding displays as new.

How did you verify they were doing this? I think most shops have stipulations with the manufacturers to send returns to the manufacturer or sell returned products as 'open-box' items.

I bought a camera from microcenter a decade ago, that contained the previous generation camera in the box. I'm still sour with them about that experience. Either they aren't able to watch their staff well or they resell returned items without marking the product as such.

Back