34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Really? 650EUR? Holy how. You would take that price and turn it into USD if it's sold in US of A...

I have just seen the prices on Taobao (China) for the LV343HUPX as well, and I have no doubt that getting the thing at $700USD here is not a pipe dream. I am actually a little stoked.

Apparently, 650€ il the launch price, the MSRP being 750€.
Based on "usual" conversion rates concerning hi-tech products, as mentioned by Reimu above, price in the US should be around $650

For the love of all that is good in the world, please mount your monitors as soon as possible. Once the stand goes away the experience goes from an 8.5 to a 17 (out of 10).

Found a Humanscale M8 monitor stand on Craigslist for FIFTY dollars. Yes - As in one penny more than 49.99.
u54k0.jpg

2ynqp08.jpg

This monitor, and the build I'm doing because of it - makes me smile whenever I know I'm on my way home to mess around with it some more. Best 1000 I've spent in quite some time.

Wth wow Humanscale for only 50$. You must be really lucky. I'm try to find a cheap one here but first I need to find another desk. Humanscale M8 in EU is almost 400€ and it's actually really hard to find.

Edit: that thickness of your desk is it thick enough for Humanscale to hold the LG 34UM95? It look a bit too weak no?

The monitor only weighs like 14 pounds by itself. It's way lighter than 99% of monitors, even much smaller ones. I would image there'd be no problems even with the weakest of woods. I'd be more worried about the stand weight, I bet the stand weighs more than the monitor. I mounted mine on just a straight pole mount and it screws into the desk and has a small base under the desk (Only 6 pounds total). It's nice because it literally only takes up a 3 inch circle on my desk, all the support is under the desk. I have it about 3-4x higher than the stock mount can go.. It greatly improves PQ. Vertical viewing angles are actually quite a problem on the stock stand.

Last edited:
For the love of all that is good in the world, please mount your monitors as soon as possible. Once the stand goes away the experience goes from an 8.5 to a 17 (out of 10).

Thinking about getting one of these w/ telescoping wings since I'll be an owner of two 34UM94s once the MassDrop order ships. It seems all stock monitor stands suck these days.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So was in Best Buy and they had a open box 29UM65. Got it for 359 with warranty out the door. Really wanted the 34UM95 but for 600ish less. I'm pretty happy with this so far. Extremely liking the 21:9 aspect ratio, rocks for gaming. The size isn't as small as I thought it was going to be . Over all very please with my buy. So far all the games I play work fine with the 21:9 ratio.

Thinking about getting one of these w/ telescoping wings since I'll be an owner of two 34UM94s once the MassDrop order ships. It seems all stock monitor stands suck these days.

I saw the massdrop thread on hot deals forum. That situation with the British redditor with his RMA is a bit worrisome. I don't think that I can tolerate backlight bleed for something as premium as this monitor in any way...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Obviously nobody wants to pay $850-900 for a monitor with bad light bleed, even if it is much cheaper than MSRP. But between this being their professional version with the extended warranty combined with the delays for shipping - I'm going to give them the benefit and say they're handling it with QC.

Everybody has their anecdotal evidence - lots of people hate Asus (especially on here it seems) for their "lack of RMA" support and how nightmarish it was. I had an Asus video card fry its VRMs and managed to get an RMA settled within hours, didn't even have to pay for shipping. Not condoning terrible service or QC, but sometimes shit happens. But I feel more confident knowing LG has had several months to sort their internal issues out, that their product sheet covers backlight issues, and it has their -P moniker and carries the extended warranty.

Obviously nobody wants to pay $850-900 for a monitor with bad light bleed

Yeah, it's ridiculous that these companies like LG and Dell charge $1000 - $1600 for their premium monitors and don't even bother with trying to fix/minimize basic issues like backlight bleeding.

So I got my 34UM95 in the mail finally and set it up. Have only tried it out once due to being rather tired, but my first impressions:

Picture Quality: 9/10

Great! Factory calibration was a bit on the blue side and I don't have my colorimeter with me to fix that yet, but everything I was expecting from the few reviews online. Antiglare coating was about equal to the newer, less-intrusive matte of my ZR2740W (v2) Eyefinity setup, at least from the short tests I did. If you've never used a comparable monitor with newer antiglare coating that isn't total shit, it's light enough so that you forget it's matte unless you have light shining directly on it. My room has an annoying light right above where my desk will be (about to 86 that bitch today though), so I was actually glad this came matte since I don't have absolute lighting control here.

As far as backlight bleed, I couldn't really find any in the short time I've had to test mine. But what I DID see was dramatically more IPS glow, and that may be something many purchasers are confusing for "backlight bleed" (but hey, I'm not there with anyone else, so they could actually have bad panels). I'm not a retired monitor manufacturer or anything, but in my research and years of IPS ownership I could've sworn IPS glow is something that changes given viewing angle, whereas backlight bleed is more like when the panel has not been seated properly and some of the actual backlight bleeds around its edges. For my panel at least, I see dramatically MORE IPS glow than in any S- or AH-IPS panel I've had (this will be #8 personally owned), but I think this may be because 34" 21:9 IPS panels and their wider format might display this inherent flaw in IPS technology more than conventional 4:3/16:9/16:10 panels.

For any picky movie buff, don't expect this to magically be different from any other IPS monitor in that it will not truly compete with a non-IPS alternative since IPS glow sucks ass during dark scenes. However, for those looking to get something breathtakingly new that's a lot more affordable than large format 4K or OLED, I'd recommend this in a heartbeat!

Sound Quality: 7/10

Surprisingly good! Good enough so that most people won't even need external speakers anymore, and infinite times better than the speakers I've heard on the few Korean monitors I've owned. Really glad LG went with higher-end internal speakers for this, as opposed to the lower-end speakers expected on AOC's upcoming version. I'm not gonna act like the speakers on the 34UM95 are going to stand toe-to-toe with any entry-level monitor setup. No, no way. Nor am I gonna act like I'm some seasoned audiophile who knows the difference between one setup's audio graphs and the other. But I'm an enthusiast (or "audiophile with a sub-$10,000 setup", at least) to the point where I'll spend $1000+ for some great sound quality, and I'd spend more if I thought I could hear a difference with something else out there. The internal speakers this monitor comes with are loud enough to compete with many TV sets of similar size, they easily beat any crap speakers that come for free with most prebuilts, and also aren't absolute dogshit like most new TVs come with nowadays.

But let's face it: MOST people really don't care about audio quality at all. As is shown through the success of Beats Audio (wtf?) or most of BOSE's products (though sometimes good, overpriced for what they offer) people care about fashion and convenience. The LG 34UM95 comes with speakers that are loud enough to hear most details and allow the monitor to still look sleek and fashionable, but which are actually good enough for more picky viewers to watch without making a cringeface. Very surprised on this one.

Menu/Ease of Use: 9/10

The joystick thingy is great, but with the price of this it really should've come with a remote of some kind! Otherwise, the joystick is a pretty cool and visually appealing alternative to multiple buttons, and the input switching and alerts are good enough to keep any non-technical user aware of what's going on. Kinda made me feel like I was using a TV, the way everything is just easy to use for anyone, technically proficient or not. But still needs a remote!

Stand: 5/10

I really love how the stand looks. It's purdy.

It's also very sturdy, and not at all light or cheap-feeling like the Korean stands I've had. Surprising plastic quality that feels extremely durable and carries weight to it, and it looks bigger in person than it does in pictures so I'm really glad they made the stand clear instead of opaque since it has a bigger footprint than it may let on.

Having said that, I REALLY HATE THE LACK OF HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT! It's also shit in that it has no swivel! Or pivot! All of which are features you'd expect of a $1000 monitor! I knew all of that before I bought it, so no biggie. But where the lack of height adjustment really sucks is that the bad IPS glow I mentioned before is less noticeable for me when the monitor's center is at nose level (and this goes for most IPS monitor I use). I'm not a giant, but I'm above average height (6'1") so for me this means I have to either a) prop the thing up on a bunch of shit, which will take away from how GREAT everything on this monitor looks aesthetically; or B) replace the mount with a similarly good-looking mount at an additional cost. Guess which one I'm gonna end up doing. Just guess v_v

I feel like I'm talking about an Apple product with how much everything keeps screaming "form over function". And kinda like being with a gorgeous but otherwise dumb date, it's strangely enjoyable :D

To Sum It Up:

Looks really great, does everything you need it to, but also happens to cost a shitload of money compared to what you could've gotten otherwise to do the same stuff you're gonna do with any monitor: watch Youtube and Netflix.

Can you really do anything with this that you couldn't do with a much cheaper monitor (except maybe dual link and the built-in window management stuff)? No, not really. And if you think seeing 30% more of a game is going to make you win in COD or BF4 easier, you need to work on your skills son. Same goes for 120hz.

But can you get anything EXACTLY like this for less right now?

No, you can't.

Which is why I compare the 34UM95 to most Apple products, not to say that it's overpriced (debatable) or strictly for hipsters with more money than brains (debatable) but to say that this is actually a unique product that isn't matched by anything else on the market 100%, at least for now. That's what makes my LG 34UM95 purchase hard for me to hate. I don't love everything about the monitor. The stand looks great but lacks height adjustment. Its user interface is great but needs a remote or bluetooth/IR functionality so I can add my own remote without purchasing additional shit. And on and on...

But kinda like that gorgeous but dumb date I mentioned before, it looks really great on my desk ;)

I don't have this monitor but I've tried to grab one locally, and walked away from Microcenter because they didn't have one in stock. I shied away from getting it at Frys due to it's 1 year warranty, I'm still mulling it over because compared to 3 years on Dell monitors... Let's be real, 1000$ down the toilet if it shits the bed right after a year.

That aside, I don't know what monitor you're talking about xmosini, the stand is hot shit on this monitor. It's wobbly as all fuck. Maybe I'm just spoiled by really good stands on HP/Dell monitors and my Ergotron arm.

I agree that the 34UM95 base is not as stable as the likes of HP's or Dell's or Eizo's or any other manufacturer with top grade monitor stands (I may even get a HP ZR30W stand for this if AOC doesn't sell their 34" base separately), but I was expecting this to be on the same level of bad as what the Korean eBay specials come with.

Until you experience those, you do not know the meaning of "hot shit". It's bad enough that they wobble like fucking hell whenever you type -- good desk or not -- but I've had 3 Korean monitors and 2 of them came with bases that don't even mount level. The monitor sat crooked always!

Lack of adjustment aside, 34UM95's base is just fine unless your desk is unstable or transfers movement a helluvalot. I probably wouldn't bring this monitor and its default base into a commercial setting though, where it's not heavy duty enough to resist knockdown by someone bumping into it. Typing 90WPM+ on an Ikea Galant and don't notice any screen wobble, so I figured those with better desks would notice even less. Maybe not, hrmm...

I don't have this monitor but I've tried to grab one locally, and walked away from Microcenter because they didn't have one in stock. I shied away from getting it at Frys due to it's 1 year warranty, I'm still mulling it over because compared to 3 years on Dell monitors... Let's be real, 1000$ down the toilet if it shits the bed right after a year.

Knock on wood, if it makes it through a year it's probably going to be good to go for the next 10 years, or at least until your next upgrade.

But yes, $1000 down the drain after a year would suck, which is why I chose to go with Massdrop so I can get it for $850 with a 3 year warranty. Only downside is a return/exchange would be more hassle than a local store, but getting it for that price with 3x the warranty of the 34UM95 was a no brainer to me.

Anyone used both this LG monitor and a Dell U3014? Is the color reproduction on the LG as good as the Dell? I'm wondering if there's any notable difference between the Dell's real 10 bit panel and LG's 8 bit + FRC to achieve it's 1.07B colours.

Last edited:
34UM94-P version (same version) but with 3 year warranty is still avail for $850 on massdrop.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-34um94-ultrawide-monitor?s=ultrawide

We already reached the cap to make it $850. 114 people have signed up to buy it.
It's not shipping until first week in Sept though, and massdrop gets them first, they reship them to you. So people aren't getting theirs until mid September.

So it's a little bit of a wait, and if there's any issues with it, have to take it up with LG directly, but it's $850 which is much cheaper than it is anywhere else.

Drop has 3 days left to get your buys in if you want one.

Anyone used both this LG monitor and a Dell U3014? Is the color reproduction on the LG as good as the Dell? I'm wondering if there's any notable difference between the Dell's real 10 bit panel and LG's 8 bit + FRC to achieve it's 1.07B colours.

The Dell uses a wide gamut panel which tries to cover the Adobe RGB color space which can only be displayed properly in work related programs which support color management and after some tweaking for internet browsers. AMD Quaddro or Nvidia Firepro gpu's along with work related programs like Photoshop are required to display a 10 bit signal and content properly and consumer media is 8 bit.

The 3014 can only display colors properly when using the sRGB mode which has locked color controls and can suffer from a strong green tint, or when using color management which is not supported by games, consoles, PVR's, most video playback software, ect. Disregard contrast and black level measurements unless you plan on sitting more than 121cm/4ft away to avoid seeing IPS glow (comparisons). It also suffers from very obvious overshoot ghosting and AH-IPS, wide gamut monitors corners glow (IPS glow) more than regular panels. The 3014 a mediocre monitor for consumer-media related use and only offers decent performance when calibrated and used with color managed programs.

The LG is a vastly superior monitor for consumer media related use.

So it's a little bit of a wait, and if there's any issues with it, have to take it up with LG directly, but it's $850 which is much cheaper than it is anywhere else.

How are returns when dealing with LG directly? Would they pay for return shipping if the monitor has some issues like severe backlight bleeding?

FWIW, according to Massdrop [From talking to LG], the price of the 34UM95 will rise by $100 across the board at ALL the other retailers, which would make it $1K, thus making the 900 shipped with 3-year warranty Massdrop buy a significantly better deal.

Perhaps some truth to this effecting the UM95.. just saw that Amazon, LLC just raised their price from $999 to $1239 (still not in-stock, eta 3-6 weeks). Wtf.. $200+ over LG's current MSRP.

Everyone else still appears to be at $999 for now.

Also, it looks like LG finally added a product page for the UM94..

http://www.lg.com/us/commercial/lcd-computer-monitors/lg-34UM94-P

Didn't notice anything different in the specs, other than the black hairline finish (still looks like the UM95 in the pics). I'm guessing the black UM94 will look like the pictures on the UM64 page instead (LINK).

Wth wow Humanscale for only 50$. You must be really lucky. I'm try to find a cheap one here but first I need to find another desk. Humanscale M8 in EU is almost 400€ and it's actually really hard to find.

Edit: that thickness of your desk is it thick enough for Humanscale to hold the LG 34UM95? It look a bit too weak no?

I have a old book wedged in to assist the clamp, but so far, so good. Id did look/feel a little off when the arm is extended, but in its current, mostly collapsed position - its all good:D.

Perhaps some truth to this effecting the UM95.. just saw that Amazon, LLC just raised their price from $999 to $1239 (still not in-stock, eta 3-6 weeks). Wtf.. $200+ over LG's current MSRP.

Everyone else still appears to be at $999 for now.

Also, it looks like LG finally added a product page for the UM94..

http://www.lg.com/us/commercial/lcd-computer-monitors/lg-34UM94-P

Didn't notice anything different in the specs, other than the black hairline finish (still looks like the UM95 in the pics). I'm guessing the black UM94 will look like the pictures on the UM64 page instead (LINK).

If you click the 360 View, it's a black rear and base. Its actually pretty sexy.

EDIT: Looking closer, there's a lot of missing ports like thunderbolts. I might be wrong. But I still hope its black

Is there a reason to not "like" the UM65 model? Besides the resolution (which is a big deal) is there anything else?

Is there a reason to not "like" the UM65 model? Besides the resolution (which is a big deal) is there anything else?

Not as far as I'm aware. I think the resolution is the primary reason why the UM65 isn't more popular and talked about. It's not even that terrible; I mean I used a 27" 1080p (120hz) display for 2 years and it was OK...but I did want more vertical resolution for desktop use and I think that for most people, if they're going to spend the money on a big 34" 21:9 monitor, they're going to go ahead and want to move up to 3440x1440. If you're already spending $700 for the 34UM65, might as well spend a little bit more and get the UM95.

But yeah, aside from the relatively low resolution for the size I think it's supposed to be a great monitor. A couple of people said they preferred it to the 95 but I also saw some user reviews on Newegg or Amazon say that they bought the 65 first and returned it for the 95 because the 95 was what the 65 should have been. :p

I got my free 34UM95-P today from LG Germany, it is a made in July version and they kindly gave me the LG ACB8300 calibration unit with it too.

I've uploaded a video of it comparing it against the i1Display pro when used with the LG software. It's a fine calibrator by all accounts and does the job perfectly for £30 but of course only works on LG screens with LG True Color Finder.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1JMD2X4yJA

I have a old book wedged in to assist the clamp, but so far, so good. Id did look/feel a little off when the arm is extended, but in its current, mostly collapsed position - its all good:D.
Sounds nice. Man Humanscale M8 is the most beautiful monitor arm IMO but it also a bit too expensive. Hopefully amazons.de will low the price when they get it in stock. Now I just need to find a good desk since my desk is too small for 2 monitors.

Sounds nice. Man Humanscale M8 is the most beautiful monitor arm IMO but it also a bit too expensive. Hopefully amazons.de will low the price when they get it in stock. Now I just need to find a good desk since my desk is too small for 2 monitors.

I think the Humanscale M8 is overkill (handles monitors up to 40 lbs.) The monitor weighs only 14 lbs. The humanscale M2 handles up to 20 lbs.

AMD Quaddro or Nvidia Firepro gpu's along with work related programs like Photoshop are required to display a 10 bit signal and content properly and consumer media is 8 bit..

So for something like a Radeon R9 290, there would be no difference in the video output between a 10 bit monitor like the U3014 and a 8 bit + FRC monitor like the LG?

I got my free 34UM95-P today from LG Germany, it is a made in July version and they kindly gave me the LG ACB8300 calibration unit with it too.

I've uploaded a video of it comparing it against the i1Display pro when used with the LG software. It's a fine calibrator by all accounts and does the job perfectly for £30 but of course only works on LG screens with LG True Color Finder.

Is there noticeable backlight bleeding on your monitor? Can you take a pic?

I think the Humanscale M8 is overkill (handles monitors up to 40 lbs.) The monitor weighs only 14 lbs. The humanscale M2 handles up to 20 lbs.

Its definitely overkill, but 50 dollars bro! FIFTY!!!

Also good to know that I can hang a 30 inch cinema display off this thing if i wanted... i might be getting on gifted to me by an old college buddy.

Its definitely overkill, but 50 dollars bro! FIFTY!!!

Also good to know that I can hang a 30 inch cinema display off this thing if i wanted... i might be getting on gifted to me by an old college buddy.

No I agree with you. Totally worth it. I'm just letting other people know there are other options if they want to get an arm mount for this thing.

The Humanscale M2 is also great but I just like the look of the M8 more :). I wonder if you can use AOC Monitor stand on the LG 34UM95? If yes then its also a nice option to do it. Now you just need someone to buy it and try and see if it works then put it on Ebay lol.

So for something like a Radeon R9 290, there would be no difference in the video output between a 10 bit monitor like the U3014 and a 8 bit + FRC monitor like the LG?

No, and the 3014 sucks compared to the 34UM9x and most 27" 1440p monitors for consumer media related use. The NEC PA302W is the only decent 30" which is not embarrassed by the large amount of quality 350$, 27" 1440p monitors, but it costs 2500$ and the superior, glow free Eizo CX271 is 1000$ cheaper.

Last edited:

Did they fix the backlight bleed issue for you?

Did they fix the backlight bleed issue for you?

Yes and no. Yes to 3 corners. No to the lower left corner. It's still there although better tahn it was before. Going by posts on other forums it seems people would happily accept that and that's fine but after what I went through I want better. The other 3 corners are perfect in every way.

They sent me a complimentary monitor though which is better out of the box so I'm keeping that :cool:

Pic of my old one and new one for comparison:

Original monitor repaired:
post_bleedfix.jpg

New free monitor (ignore the right side, window light causing that side to appear brighter but isn't):
bleed.jpg

^Both photos taken using the same camera settings.

Brushed vs glossy bezel:
bezels.jpg

New one calibrated fine too:
freebie_calibration.jpg

The Humanscale M2 is also great but I just like the look of the M8 more :). I wonder if you can use AOC Monitor stand on the LG 34UM95? If yes then its also a nice option to do it. Now you just need someone to buy it and try and see if it works then put it on Ebay lol.

Another thing to consider the m8 has a 10 year warranty while the m2 has a 15 year warranty.

I'm planning on buying a set of these so I'm trying to figure out why the m8 would be better than the m2. As far as looks they look pretty similar. I guess the m8 looks a little beefier but they function identically.

I'm going to see how the stock stand does first. Can someone measure the footprint of the stand? I may have something a little more elegant than a pile of books to elevate the monitor if it's too low. :)

Back