34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Hmm weird. At work I develop using a 27 inch 2560x1440 screen, but at home I have a 34um95-p, and I love the extra width! My 27 inch feels cramped now.
I'm particularly excited about having Eclipse open at 2/3 width and then a browser window at 1/3. Following online programming courses and quickly looking things up is bliss!

Yeah... same here. Since getting my LG i've briefly used:
24" 1920x1200
27" 2560x1440
30" 2560x1600

All felt incredibly cramped, and there's no way the insanely minor 160 vertical pixels on 30" 16:10 monitors is better than 880 horizontal pixels. Obviously, using 2-3x 30" monitors in portrait is going to give you more resolution/be better for desktop usage. It's also going to be vastly more expensive, it's not really a fair comparison.

Yeah... same here. Since getting my LG i've briefly used:
24" 1920x1200
27" 2560x1440
30" 2560x1600

All felt incredibly cramped, and there's no way the insanely minor 160 vertical pixels on 30" 16:10 monitors is better than 880 horizontal pixels. Obviously, using 2-3x 30" monitors in portrait is going to give you more resolution/be better for desktop usage. It's also going to be vastly more expensive, it's not really a fair comparison.

Yeah, I'm really not missing the 160 pixels vertical. In fact, I had found it tiring looking up and down with my U3014. I love the significant added real estate in the horizontal. Can easily open 3 windows side by side, even fourth one if I have to. With U3014, even 3 windows side by side felt cramped. That's my use case though...

The AOC is now listed in Sweden for ~8k, so €860. Thou only one store has it listed so price should come down hopefully..

With 22nd of August as a preliminary date

Last edited:
Got my monitor yesterday. 0 backlightbleeding, but the monitor makes a cracking noise each 20 sec :( Anyone else has this problem? It almost the same sound what old CRTs would make when they would cool off.

Got my monitor yesterday. 0 backlightbleeding, but the monitor makes a cracking noise each 20 sec :( Anyone else has this problem? It almost the same sound what old CRTs would make when they would cool off.

How are you connecting it?

If over DisplayPort, try disabling DP 1.2 in the menu options

Mine did that at first, went away after a couple of hours and has never returned.

So... has anyone managed to fix that problem where all the window are resized into the upper-left corner after power-off or standby? I tried to do the registry fix that was mentioned earlier, but I did not have the key values that were mentioned.

Less than a day remaining on the UM3494 at Massdrop

Same specs as the 34UM95, but a 3 year warranty instead of 1.

7 more people have to purchase to get the $899 price (free shipping). If you're on the fence, do it!

I would have got one if massdrop has a reputable return policy. I don't know if they will allow returns for backlight bleeding, missing pixels, or other weird problems. If I get one that has problems I probably will have to go through LG warranty and I doubt things will get resolved quickly. People are assuming the bleeding issue is fixed on all of them, but never know.

so It seems like I have some bleed on my lg 34um95, Purchased it directly from amazon. What should I do? will they replace for another? or should I contact lg directly?

Any thoughts?

My display was made in July

so It seems like I have some bleed on my lg 34um95, Purchased it directly from amazon. What should I do? will they replace for another? or should I contact lg directly?

Any thoughts?

My display was made in July

Is there a lot of light bleed or just a little? You'll have to decide whether it is worth it because it's possible you may get a worse unit back if the one you have now has minimal light bleed.

Amazon takes things back for exchange/return no questions asked if it's within 30 days of purchase.

Massdrop just extended the drop deadline by another week and managed to haggle out a new price scheme with LG. 50 people on the drop = $899.99, 75 = $879.99, and 100 = $849.99. So far 46 purchased and 19 committed at the $849.99 price point.

Last edited:
I have my macbook pro retina 13 inch hooked up to my Lg 34um95, Does anyone know why when I turn back on my monitor the computer moves all the windows to the upper left hand corner of the screen? I can not find a setting to fix this. What might it be?

Is there a lot of light bleed or just a little? You'll have to decide whether it is worth it because it's possible you may get a worse unit back if the one you have now has minimal light bleed.

Amazon takes things back for exchange/return no questions asked if it's within 30 days of purchase.

It is minimal, I think ill hold off for now and wait to see if it gets worse. Also, I could always go through LG later. Not sure how they are to deal with here in the US.

Hmm... so with massdrop its 850 and AOC will be coming out around the same time the LG gets released at around the same price. Both have unknown quality control. How good is massdrop at taking back monitors? I don't want to miss out on this price if I like it more than AOC, but if AOC has no bleeding or other issues and the one I get has bleeding what can i do? Am i just shit out of luck at that point? Thats what I'm afraid of

Hmm... so with massdrop its 850 and AOC will be coming out around the same time the LG gets released at around the same price. Both have unknown quality control. How good is massdrop at taking back monitors? I don't want to miss out on this price if I like it more than AOC, but if AOC has no bleeding or other issues and the one I get has bleeding what can i do? Am i just shit out of luck at that point? Thats what I'm afraid of

Massdrop isn't going to take returns.

They have a history of helping with RMAs directly with manufacturers however.

Massdrop isn't going to take returns.

They have a history of helping with RMAs directly with manufacturers however.

Hmm... well i have a week to decide but so far leaning towards waiting on the AOC and hoping it doesn't have any issues with quality control. I like their stand a lot better and its worth 100 bucks not having to spend extra on vesa mount. I'll hate having to constantly deal with LG to get replacements and spending lots of money on shipping it to them and waiting.

Who pays for shipping on exchanges for a faulty display on these massdrop orders?

If its coming out of your pocket, you might want to re-consider buying from mass drop. Shipping with insurance (You do not want to ship this UNinsured!) is going to be expensive!!!!

The $100 you saved by ordering via mass drop will be gone with just one shipping....and you might get another faulty monitor.

I would strongly advise folks to order something like this on amazon or a retail store just for the 30 day return policy and free return shipping alone.

Just wait for a few months. This monitor will be about $800 on amazon and by then hopefully LG will have the backlight issues resolved.

Massdrop has no part in the return process, so your dealings would be directly with LG. Has AOC even confirmed the monitor will be coming to the NA market?

Has AOC even confirmed the monitor will be coming to the NA market?

Nope.. not at all publicly, as of yet (only Euro press releases, and still no product page on their US site).

I emailed them about a month ago, and was told that it should be available in the US sometime this fall and that pricing was still unknown. No idea if that info is actually correct, though.

If anyone else wants to ask them..

http://us.aoc.com/contact

..and/or tell them to get their shit together asap. ;)

Eh, for me it doesn't really matter about the AOC, I ordered 2 already from the MD drop. Rather go for the sure thing and wait than wait and not have a guarantee and then be lacking the product I want and end up spending more money later from a retailer to get a shorter warranty.

Just wait for a few months. This monitor will be about $800 on amazon and by then hopefully LG will have the backlight issues resolved.

Every single IPS monitor ever released... always people hoping for this but it never actually happens. Even with this monitor there were multiple claims of "Rev. 02" fixed it, "June" models fixed it. They all turned out to be false. People should stop getting their hopes up for something that isn't going to happen.

Let's be real here. All IPS, TN, and edge lit monitors in general have some degree of backlight bleed. The amount you see depends on ambient lighting, the brightness you have the monitor set to, and how well the panel was mounted into the bezel/frame. The backlight issue will never be resolved until we go back to 100% back-lit and/or OLED, just like it was never resolved on millions of monitors in the past. It will always come down to luck, and I'm willing to bet even the people claiming to have zero backlight bleed still have some. Most people do not thoroughly check.

I've inspected and seen a lot of IPS panels in my lifetime and i've yet to see one that had absolutely zero. Considering this monitor has a much larger area it needs to evenly light, it's only natural the backlight bleed may be a little worse on average.

Last edited:
So i ordered another LG 34" from costco. This one also also has the orange hue/backlight bleed from the left corners May rev.02. Lame...

So i ordered another LG 34" from costco. This one also also has the orange hue/backlight bleed from the left corners May rev.02. Lame...

Return and retry?

This is the case for every other IPS monitor out there. Some get lucky, some don't, and this is the case not only for LG but for Dell, Eizo, NEC, and every manufacturer. Like gambling, just keep playing until you hit the jackpot.

Well, or you could stop and cash in, sure...

Yeah... that's what I told the people on Massdrop. These high DPI (1440p+) panels with edge lighting have a fairly high probability of having backlight bleed or dead/stuck pixels (or in the case of Dells, crosshatching...), and they'd be better off getting this panel from Amazon or somewhere with a good return policy. Nope, I'm just a troll. >_>

Again though backlight bleed is something you may be able to fix (at least for personal use) if you're willing to do a bit of quick tinkering, as I showed in an earlier post regarding my Qnix.

Do these at least not suffer from crosshatching?

When talking about dead pixel then I think there is no one who got a dead/stuck pixel yet? That's pretty nice.

I bet someone will post a picture of their LG 34UM95 with a big dead pixel cover half of their screen after this post :p

How are you still getting it from costco? Don't see them selling it online. Do they have them in some stores? I'm willing to bet those are all the returned ones.

How are you still getting it from costco? Don't see them selling it online. Do they have them in some stores? I'm willing to bet those are all the returned ones.

Costco.com still sells them but they are out of stock as soon as they put them for sale.

Btw.... Another player enters the 21:9 uHD market. Eizo is launching their screen in September. Competition is good :)

When talking about dead pixel then I think there is no one who got a dead/stuck pixel yet? That's pretty nice.

I bet someone will post a picture of their LG 34UM95 with a big dead pixel cover half of their screen after this post :p

Eh there are like 30 ratings on Amazon for the 95. Give it time. Law of large numbers will even things out. Large numbers unfortunately also works against this monitor when it comes to defects. 34% more pixels than 1440p monitors, which had some sketch quality control, even in the expensive panels.

So whatever probability a 1440p monitor has of having at least one defect... well... it's a nonlinear function so I won't say it's 34% worse. It could be worse than that. Probability of any one failure with 34% more trials, assuming some non-constant failure rate. That goes for backlight bleed too. Assuming that the probability of some backlight bleed increases with dimensions (which is likely)... well here we are.

Or they could have just developed better manufacturing process to where any one pixel failing is less likely. I hope for you folks that this is the case, because backlight bleed is at least somewhat repairable. Pixels... are not.

Considering I went through 8 1440p monitors from mainstream brands, quite a bit of bad luck on my part, but geez. I'd just be careful. More pixels=more chances to fail. I wouldn't mind trying one of these out myself by the way, just not at this price point. It's 34% more pixels for >2x the price of a 1440p panel. Just not appealing to me. Well that and I'm pretty set on the ASUS ROG coming out for now. This'll be a later consideration for fun.

Every single IPS monitor ever released... always people hoping for this but it never actually happens. Even with this monitor there were multiple claims of "Rev. 02" fixed it, "June" models fixed it. They all turned out to be false. People should stop getting their hopes up for something that isn't going to happen.

Let's be real here. All IPS, TN, and edge lit monitors in general have some degree of backlight bleed. The amount you see depends on ambient lighting, the brightness you have the monitor set to, and how well the panel was mounted into the bezel/frame. The backlight issue will never be resolved until we go back to 100% back-lit and/or OLED, just like it was never resolved on millions of monitors in the past. It will always come down to luck, and I'm willing to bet even the people claiming to have zero backlight bleed still have some. Most people do not thoroughly check.

I've inspected and seen a lot of IPS panels in my lifetime and i've yet to see one that had absolutely zero. Considering this monitor has a much larger area it needs to evenly light, it's only natural the backlight bleed may be a little worse on average.
I agree with this. Glow is inevitable in an IPS panel, generally near the bottom corners. This massive size of this panel causing sharper viewing angles on the corners just makes the bleed all the more noticeable. It's not a manufacturing defect, it's an artifact of the panel technology. All the big IPS monitors exhibit it.

Not true.

Benq 27 inch IPS went down in price after a few months.

I know because I was in the market for one.

Got a link? I heard about Eizo releasing a 4K display in September (EV3237) but it is 16:9, not 21:9.

That thing sounds awesome. I don't think I'd want a 4K display smaller than this. Any idea if there will be any competitors in this range?

Check out this comment on Guru3D, though:

"Stick with 120/Gsync.

Even 3 x Titans were not enough for 4K (not across the board at any rate, and unless you like turning lots of details off).

You also have the headache of being totally reliant on SLI profiles which are not a sure bet these days.
"

3x Titans struggle with 4K? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Not true.

Benq 27 inch IPS went down in price after a few months.

I know because I was in the market for one.

Where was I talking about price reduction? I think it's very obvious I was talking about his backlight bleeding comment. My entire post talks about it.

Back