34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

So I've been using the UM95 for about 2 weeks now and for the most part, I love it. The backlight bleed/IPS glow seem fairly minimal and don't really bother me. I might not have even noticed anything if it wasn't for this thread causing me to look extra carefully.

Anyway, I'm having a different issue that I fear might be severe enough to warrant a return. Frequently, when I turn the monitor on or wake it from sleep, the screen image is distorted and static lines jump across the screen. There's an audible popping/hissing noise that occurs every few seconds while this is happening. I usually have to turn the monitor off and on a few times or pull out the Displayport cable and/or restart my computer to resolve it. I have replaced the displayport cable and still have the same problem. I suppose it could be a graphics card or driver issue, but I have 2 additional monitors that always display fine through this incident, and it never happens except when I first start using it for the day. I'm using two Sapphire Tri-X R9 290s with Catalyst 14.4.

Has anyone experienced any similar issues? Any thoughts or suggestions?

edit: okay I did some more thread digging and decided to disable DisplayPort 1.2, I'll see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
So just got the 34um95 monitor
and I can say right from the start that i dont like it
I was just wanted to try it out cause of this thread and how many ppl said it's amazing
So im going to return it tomorrow at my local Fry's store
and get the Dell U3014

Can you take a picture of your backlight bleed issue? Just want to see how pronounced it is.

IhexKmQl.jpg

This is the rev2 version.

Well I dont like it because the height is just not enough and it feels like using a small monitor like 24" or 27". It doesn't give me a feeling of using a larger screen, like the Dell 30" does.

just get a 55" 4K TV and use it as your monitor

Well I dont like it because the height is just not enough and it feels like using a small monitor like 24" or 27". It doesn't give me a feeling of using a larger screen, like the Dell 30" does.

The heck?

If you were looking for nothing but a larger screen, maybe you should've just purchased a larger screen? There have been plenty of comments in this thread to the effect of "this monitor is like a stretched 30-inch" not "this monitor is bigger than a 30-inch". What exactly were you expecting? The specs are all online. The reviews are all online. Heck, there are plenty of photos posted online (many in this thread) with side-by-side comparisons of the 34UM95 and 30-inch monitors. And yet you still expected this to be something it isn't.

Also, I don't know where you're getting that this could be like using a 24" monitor. It's the same height and vertical pixel count as a 27", only 30% wider.

Did you even utilize it for anything that takes advantage of its display ratio, hence the main point of even owning a 21:9 monitor? If not, why in the world would you spend $1000 on it?

Actually... wait, why am I even wasting my time? Just

get a 55" 4K TV and use it as your monitor

already, wow

EDIT: see from earlier in the thread you are connected using DP. Strange. Thought maybe you were using some other connection method, and as a result the DP settings were not listed. As in the DP settings [or HDMI-related settings, etc] are only visible in the menu when the monitor is connected with those particular cables.

Yup, using the supplied DP cable.
I'm guessing it's a firmware thing, but then so far I seem to be the only one that doesn't have the DP1.2 option.

So just got the 34um95 monitor
and I can say right from the start that i dont like it
I was just wanted to try it out cause of this thread and how many ppl said it's amazing
So im going to return it tomorrow at my local Fry's store
and get the Dell U3014

If you are alright with a used monitor, I have one for sale in this thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1826695&highlight=

It comes in the original box with all accessories.

Welp, after my nightmare of dealing with LG support, a positive outcome. After receiving my 34UM95 back at their repair center, I got a call from a service rep who stated they did not have any reconditioned 34UM95s in stock, so they would like to send me a brand new 34UM95-P instead. I said "sure" lol. Another bonus was that before I even started dealing with LG I called the retailer I purchased it from to see about a return. They said they'd either accept the return, or I could have a $100 refund to keep the monitor. SO end result is I should have a 34UM95-P after alot of headache for $800. Hurrah, #firstworldproblems!

Last edited:
Welp, after my nightmare of dealing with LG support, a positive outcome. After receiving my 34UM95 back at their repair center, I got a call from a service rep who stated they did not have any reconditioned 34UM95s in stock, so they would like to send me a brand new 34UM95-P instead. I said "sure" lol. Another bonus was that before I even started dealing with LG I called the retailer I purchased it from to see about a return. They said they'd either accept the return, or I could have a $100 refund to keep the monitor. SO end result is I should have a 34UM95-P after alot of headache for $800. Hurrah, #firstworldproblems!

I would expect nothing less than a brand new in box monitor if RMAing a monitor still in it's return window. I think it's absurd that they even mentioned they tried to send you a reconditioned one. You didn't pay for used, and that's essentially what reconditioned is.

What happend to the thread with someone having the korean sibling/twin of the AOC display? Can't find it..

I have a 39" TV I game on (LG 39LN5300) and I have a 28" INC monitor I also game on(actually the 39" replaced it). Is the 39" tv bigger than the LG UM95? (I have the UM95 too) Duh, yeah. Is the 28" monitor smaller than the LG UM95? Yes, it is. Now I cant say how/what the difference is between a 30" and the UM95 since I dont have a 30" monitor but if anyone thinks a 28" or smaller monitor feels bigger than the 34UM95 I'd say they got some kind of issue. Talking physical size here.

Also for people that complain about the 34UM95's stand you can always put it on a flat riser stand of some sort like a block of wood, heavy duty plastic, or even phone books. Its not that flimsy. It's an easy fix really.

Does it look that bad in person or is it the camera making it look worse? You should try getting a replacement and see if you have better luck with that one for backlight bleeding.

I wasn't too worried about the glow. But the orange-ish bleed looks exactly like what you see in the picture. It is hard for me to compromise with its high price tag ($900).

I bought another one from costco. I don't want to deal with LG so i figured i might as well pay little extra and get the added flexibility of costco return policy.

Does it look that bad in person or is it the camera making it look worse? You should try getting a replacement and see if you have better luck with that one for backlight bleeding.

It is indeed that bad in person. I very, very rarely ever have an all black screen when doing anything except waiting for a game level to load or something, but its a little off putting. Outside of that though, everything else has been truly awesome, in my experience.

I ended up doing a cheap build based off a 3930k and an additional, secondhand 680 to drive this baby properly. The single 680 couldn't hack it, and the 780m wasn't cutting it either. I'll post the pictures in a bit.

It is indeed that bad in person. I very, very rarely ever have an all black screen when doing anything except waiting for a game level to load or something, but its a little off putting. Outside of that though, everything else has been truly awesome, in my experience.

When did you get your monitor? I was reading earlier that LG was holding back stock of this monitor to fix some issues, which is why these monitors aren't widely available yet. Maybe reducing the severity of the backlight bleeding is one of the things they're fixing as I haven't seen any other complaints regarding this monitor.

Got a 34UM95-P from amazon. Manufacture date is June 2014. I see no back light bleed at all.

Very impressed! Pretty awesome playing Diablo 3: ROS!

I was able to get them to price match the 899 price.. but it may have been pre-order policy since I placed my order a while ago.

When did you get your monitor? I was reading earlier that LG was holding back stock of this monitor to fix some issues, which is why these monitors aren't widely available yet. Maybe reducing the severity of the backlight bleeding is one of the things they're fixing as I haven't seen any other complaints regarding this monitor.

I ordered mine off of new egg for $999 on June 18th - it arrived on the 23rd. Hopefully there is a fix on the way - its not a major deal breaker - Im truly in love with this monitor - but if they have a new version to correct the bleed Id love to contact them to see if they can swap mine out.

...There's an audible popping/hissing noise that occurs every few seconds while this is happening.
edit: okay I did some more thread digging and decided to disable DisplayPort 1.2, I'll see if it makes a difference.

Yup, I was able to solve the same problem by turning off DP 1.2 (AMD 7970). With 1.2 off I never had the issue again.

IhexKmQl.jpg

This is the rev2 version.

If you don't feel like returning it, I would suggest looking into some panel bending techniques used on Qnixes. I've done some simple panel bending using cardboard on my Qnix and it literally pretty much eliminated backlight bleed in all of about 15 minutes of work between my friend and myself. It's very easy to do and provided the chassis is easy to open up, it's also very safe. That's quite a bit of backlight bleed, so I would really consider it.

Can you please explain "panel bending"?

Most backlight bleed is due to panel warping during manufacturing processes or transport. You can easily rectify this by "unwarping" the panel by putting in correction factors in between the bezel and the panel... such as some bundled up cardboard. It's quite easy to do, so I doubt it would void warranty (provided it is undone before sending back to the manufacturer). I have personally done it on my Qnix and it took all of 15 minutes... and now it looks perfect. But do make sure that the bezel is easy to take apart before you attempt it (and there's no seal anywhere).

It's just a consideration if the rest of the panel is perfect and you don't want to try the exchange game.

Most backlight bleed is due to panel warping during manufacturing processes or transport. You can easily rectify this by "unwarping" the panel by putting in correction factors in between the bezel and the panel... such as some bundled up cardboard. It's quite easy to do, so I doubt it would void warranty (provided it is undone before sending back to the manufacturer). I have personally done it on my Qnix and it took all of 15 minutes... and now it looks perfect. But do make sure that the bezel is easy to take apart before you attempt it (and there's no seal anywhere).

It's just a consideration if the rest of the panel is perfect and you don't want to try the exchange game.

Any chance you have pics or a link with examples of how exactly to apply pressure via cardboard technique?

My 34UM95 is still in transit, and since I'm overseas I may have to try this instead of dealing with 1+month RMAs -_-

Lol, oh wow, you're advocating your cardboard game on other forums too. Haha. Do not attempt what he's talking about. Just exchange it and get another one during the return peroid instead of trying to be MacGyver jamming cardboard into your bezel to correct a defect
1) You're not fixing the issue, you're masking it
2) It'll look stupid
3) You can't sell the monitor later because you never got it fixed, you just masked it with some goofy cardboard
4) Messing with the bezel or removing it can void your warranty

Main point being, just get it replaced "IF" it even has a problem. Get it fixed, don't mask it, and if you ever sell it, you won't have some gimped backlight bleed monitor jammed up with cardboard.

Last edited:
I also was not impressed by LG 34UM95 after coming from a Dell U3011 monitor. I am a web developer and only use my monitor for productivity (no gaming). The monitor feels small and is too stretched horizontally to get a proper viewing angle. 2 monitors that are angled side by side is better for getting work done.

Yeah, I don't really see the 34UM95 positioned as a monitor for devs. I don't do any dev work but took some coding classes in college and I can definitely see how more vertical space would be welcomed. I've read some comments by other devs that have used this monitor and they all pretty much agree that a 30" 2560x1600, or any 16:9 or 16:10 display in portrait mode, would be better suited for that purpose.

But for gaming with the additional horizontal space without bezels, or general computing where you can easily have 2-3 windows side by side, I think that's where these 34" 21:9 monitors will shine.

I also was not impressed by LG 34UM95 after coming from a Dell U3011 monitor. I am a web developer and only use my monitor for productivity (no gaming). The monitor feels small and is too stretched horizontally to get a proper viewing angle. 2 monitors that are angled side by side is better for getting work done.

Also a web developer here... and I don't agree. I had the 3008WFP before, and I really don't miss the loss of vertical space.

The LG gives me enough space to have a full sized browser page open at 1920 width with room to put Sublime Text and a terminal window on the side. I couldn't really do this effectively with the Dell 30", unless I went multi-monitor. Really the LG gives a similar experience to dual 24" screens for productivity - but that's just me...

Any chance you have pics or a link with examples of how exactly to apply pressure via cardboard technique?

My 34UM95 is still in transit, and since I'm overseas I may have to try this instead of dealing with 1+month RMAs -_-

It's a bit trial and error. There's no one way to fix each panel because each panel is unique. But to give you an idea, this is close what I started with (look at the lights off screenshot of the matte Qnix):
http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...440-matte-overclock-able-pls.html#post1016076

Mine actually looked much worse than that from what I remember. My light bleed went in a bit further, among other things.

And here's how I fixed it. It's kind of backwards with the way it was uploaded:
http://imgur.com/89PLkRX,hEmHZAn,V0tcZEx#2

- Screenshot 3 is the fix (ignore the reflections on the monitor lol). I had a bunch of backlight bleed in the center and some on the corners. But the screenshots aren't all of the fix. There are also a few pieces of cardboard behind the panel curving it towards me slightly, on the very left and right. And then since I was a bit of a perfectionist there are some very small pieces of cardboard keeping it from coming in harmful contact with the bezel. That's also what the bottom left and right pieces of cardboard on either side of the main one are. The bezel itself causes some bleed since I'm basically bending it forward on the left and the right. So those pieces just keep it from touching the bezel. So basically the fix was bending it inwards a bit away from me, because that's where the bleeding was originating from and concentrated at, kinda... it's an intuitive thing.

- Screenshot 2 is how bad the light bleed is in normal.... somewhat light room conditions with my monitor at normal brightness.

- And screenshot 1 is in a black room (though there's some light at the top, that's from the kitchen other area behind the monitor, that's not from backlight bleed) with a perfectly black background, with the exposure and ISO on my Galaxy S3 set to absolute max and the brightness of the monitor literally jacked up as high as it goes, which is so bright it hurts my eyes. As you can see there's still a bit of bleed in the middle left. Very hard to see, and even more difficult to see in near field viewing, and even more difficult on a non-pure-black background, but definitely visible. So that's the worst case scenario. In normal viewing at normal brightness it's near invisible in even pitch black rooms. I could also eliminate that, but it would take some extra work and it's pointless. It's there, but unlike it was before, it's very easy to live with. It's also better than pretty much all of the mainstream brands I went through.

And that's coming from where even on a non-pure-black background I could see backlight bleed.

Anyway this may hurt resale value unless you do it professionally... you know... not using cheap cardboard and spending 15 minutes on it with a friend. I spent more time taking these shots and writing this post.

Last edited:
...I've read some comments by other devs that have used this monitor and they all pretty much agree that a 30" 2560x1600, or any 16:9 or 16:10 display in portrait mode, would be better suited for that purpose....

Hmm weird. At work I develop using a 27 inch 2560x1440 screen, but at home I have a 34um95-p, and I love the extra width! My 27 inch feels cramped now.
I'm particularly excited about having Eclipse open at 2/3 width and then a browser window at 1/3. Following online programming courses and quickly looking things up is bliss!

Back