34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

when i switch to dp 1.2 sometimes the issues occur after 5 hours, sometimes after a whole day. and again no 10 bit card - no 10 bit output. and the program also must support it to work.

This Massdrop discussion makes me hopeful regarding the possibility that a fix might be in the works, in which case I don't think we can say with certainty that this is an AMD issue. Not sure if you have to be a member to view that link so if you're not and it prompts you to log in, here's the post I'm talking about:

When Will initially talked to LG about this whole 34UM94-P deal, there was initial talk about July/August. Dunno if that still stands. But you want to wait for a couple reasons..... 1) gives them time to apply a firmware update that is supposedly coming out for them, and hopefully this fixed the Displayport 1.2 flickering that some people have with the 34UM95. 2) This gives them extra time to correct the backlight bleed.

when u turn on dp 1.2 the monitor outputs 10bit. again, if you do not have a nvidia quadro, which costs around 6500 dollars you will have this flickering. just use dpe quality because your graphics card doesnt support 10bit. i have a titan black and this card also doesnt support 10bit. if you have a nvidia quadro you can have 10bit just in programs which support 10bit. so just forget dp 1.2 theres no benefit.[/QUOTE]

AMD supports up to 12 bit

Screenshot2_zps54593478.png

Last edited:

Glorious. Really don't have much else to say.

I'll be picking up some LEDs for my UM95 this week, I just hadn't decided on the color.

I ran the hitman absolution benchmark on the 8320/680 build - averaged 52 FPS on Medium settings... Boy is there a difference between Med and High - a difference I haven't seen in some time:(. I think I'll have to go up to a 780ti to get back into the high/max levels again.

. Also, 3d mark with 8320/680 was 16781 on skydiver, meanwhile my AW17 is only 800 points behind it. Is it even worth it to match a ti to the 8320? I don't bother with fire strike these days cause I know its going to be a pretty crappy score out of my machines.

Well, I can officially say all of my issues with this monitor were AMD related. I'll never go back to another one of their trash cards. With my former Radeon 7990, I would have to reboot the PC constantly, or else get scratchy, roboty audio, and anytime I tried to enable DisplayPort 1.2 it would flicker the screen and make popping sounds. Switched out to a 780 Ti SC, zero issues whatsoever. What's more, games feel much smoother. AMD needs to get its act together, I was blaming this monitor for issues that were a result of their terrible QA.

I still have an Alienware m18x r1 laying around with CF 6970's I need to plug that sucker in to see what kind of issues pop up when using it. Shame so many with AMD cards are having issues.

Anyone have a 10bit GPU and try use DisplayPort 1.2 and see if it will make "pop" sound ect.

If there is still "pop" sound ect. Then I think there is problem with the monitor. Maybe it will get fix in a firmware update.

The above dual UM95 setup uses a LX Dual Side-by-Side Arm Black by Ergotron. Holds these monitors up great. Very easy to adjust and if you bump them they seem to snap back into place with no problem.

Well, I can officially say all of my issues with this monitor were AMD related. I'll never go back to another one of their trash cards. With my former Radeon 7990, I would have to reboot the PC constantly, or else get scratchy, roboty audio, and anytime I tried to enable DisplayPort 1.2 it would flicker the screen and make popping sounds. Switched out to a 780 Ti SC, zero issues whatsoever. What's more, games feel much smoother. AMD needs to get its act together, I was blaming this monitor for issues that were a result of their terrible QA.
What makes you think it's not a problem with the monitor firmware not obeying the DP1.2 spec that NVIDIA applied a work around for to their drivers? It could be AMD's fault, but it could just as easily be LG's. I'm inclined to blame LG since other DP1.2 monitors don't seem to have this issue with AMD cards.

What makes you think it's not a problem with the monitor firmware not obeying the DP1.2 spec that NVIDIA applied a work around for to their drivers? It could be AMD's fault, but it could just as easily be LG's. I'm inclined to blame LG since other DP1.2 monitors don't seem to have this issue with AMD cards.

Exactly, and for those who have followed the thread, both Zepharus and alamone also experienced these problems and they were both running a 780Ti, and disabling DP 1.2 resolved their issues. So...

I'll ask again: with the normal graphics cards that 99% of us are running and with this monitor, is there anything lost by disabling DP 1.2 or gained to have it enabled? Is color reproduction noticeably worse by not having 1.2 enabled? I'm getting mixed answers in this thread. If disabling DP 1.2 fixes the issues and there's no perceived benefit from having it enabled other than just to be able to say you're running 1.2, I don't see what the big deal is about.

Well, that still wouldn't explain why most times when I booted up the computer, I would get crackly, staticy audio and buzzing through the speakers. I would need to reboot and it would be okay for a short time. Those issues are also gone since moving to an nVidia card. The DP 1.2 thing could feasibly be a workaround, but there are clearly other issues with AMD cards.

Exactly, and for those who have followed the thread, both Zepharus and alamone also experienced these problems and they were both running a 780Ti, and disabling DP 1.2 resolved their issues. So...

I'll ask again: with the normal graphics cards that 99% of us are running and with this monitor, is there anything lost by disabling DP 1.2 or gained to have it enabled? Is color reproduction noticeably worse by not having 1.2 enabled? I'm getting mixed answers in this thread. If disabling DP 1.2 fixes the issues and there's no perceived benefit from having it enabled other than just to be able to say you're running 1.2, I don't see what the big deal is about.

The answer is *probably* no, nothing is lost by disabling DP1.2. The colors are different with DP1.2 enabled - reds and yellows are noticeably bolder, but I don't know that it makes them "better". They're different in the same sense that, for whatever reason, the blue Windows 8.1 login screen is a noticeably darker shade with my GTX 780 than it is with my R9 290X. It's not better or worse - it's just observably different.

If I buy a car and the cigarette lighter doesn't work, regardless of whether I am not going to use the cigarette lighter, I still want it to work properly. It is a nagging psychological factor that two things that are advertised as DP1.2 ready don't play nicely together. I can't point the finger at one company or the other yet, but I can say my personal experience has been Intel IGP, good, NVIDIA 780, good, NVIDIA 680, good, AMD R9 290X, bad. Could it be drivers? Sure. AMD fixed DP issues with a BenQ or AOC display in Cats 14.7RC1, iirc, which they blamed on non-standard timings. I'd just like it to work, because it's advertised to work.

I managed to catch 2 of the 3 types of flickering/glitches/corruption this morning:

Type 1 (mostly flickering lines):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0B9WXdv3CU

Type 2 (screen displacement):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJO_8iXHqGU

Type 3 is the most severe, with technicolor "snow" that affects large portions of the screen, where popping from the speakers occurs. That hasn't happened in a couple days now so I haven't been able to make a video of it yet.

The menu overlay doesn't experience any problems when the image being passed is behaving badly.

Last edited:
The answer is *probably* no, nothing is lost by disabling DP1.2. The colors are different with DP1.2 enabled - reds and yellows are noticeably bolder, but I don't know that it makes them "better". They're different in the same sense that, for whatever reason, the blue Windows 8.1 login screen is a noticeably darker shade with my GTX 780 than it is with my R9 290X. It's not better or worse - it's just observably different.

If I buy a car and the cigarette lighter doesn't work, regardless of whether I am not going to use the cigarette lighter, I still want it to work properly. It is a nagging psychological factor that two things that are advertised as DP1.2 ready don't play nicely together. I can't point the finger at one company or the other yet, but I can say my personal experience has been Intel IGP, good, NVIDIA 780, good, NVIDIA 680, good, AMD R9 290X, bad. Could it be drivers? Sure. AMD fixed DP issues with a BenQ or AOC display in Cats 14.7RC1, iirc, which they blamed on non-standard timings. I'd just like it to work, because it's advertised to work.

Oh I'm with you. Ideally, all features should work. I just think it's too early for anyone to place the blame solely on AMD when we don't have the whole picture yet. Just a few anecdotal stories. If no one was experiencing issues with nVidia cards I'd be less tempted to blame the monitor but since two people in this very thread have experienced the issues with 780Ti cards, I don't think it's fair for one person to trash AMD just because they haven't personally experienced the problem with their 780Ti yet. For all we know it's not the monitor OR the cards...there could be a variety of drivers and firmware in the mix, too.

I'm not normally one to defend AMD, but until we know for sure that the problem lies with AMD let's not be so quick to judge.

So what's so good about these new 34" 1440p displays? is it really a lot better than 30" 1600p and other 4k displays?

So what's so good about these new 34" 1440p displays? is it really a lot better than 30" 1600p and other 4k displays?

Yes...

All the 30" options are wide gamut (apart from the newer 32" BenQ), those are not a good option if you want accurate color. Many of them have terrible anti-glare coating as well.

4K isn't ready for primetime, Windows DPI scaling has all sorts of issues. For gaming, you'll need a SLI or CF setup at minimum to get playable framerates in some games unless you dial down settings. Additionally all the 4K IPS options right now use MST tech which is plagued with issues. More non-MST monitors are supposed to come later this year... but I would still give it a year or two before Windows better supports 4K in regards to DPI scaling.

With the LG: it's enough of a resolution bump to allow for more productivity, despite losing some vertical space over 1600p the extra horizontal makes up for it. Games are still relatively easy to drive even with a single high end GPU. The 21:9 aspect ratio feels more immersive to me also.

I recently read a post from someone who had a Dell 30" and bought the 34UM95...he said there was basically no comparison and that he could never go back to the 30". That might be a little extreme, but he was definitely happier with the 34" ultra-wide. Whites were so much whiter on the LG than the "yellow" whites on his Dell, too.

Certainly makes me feel better about selling my U3011 this week. :) If I can find that post again, I'll link to it.

x3sphere pretty much covered why I'm not so eager to jump on the 4K bandwagon just yet. I don't need that insane resolution right now, so it's best to wait until the issues get sorted out and cheaper/better panels come to market.

Ironically when I get this monitor I suspect my 30" U3014 will be relegated to my "secondary/media display" (which is currently a 24" 1200p) and I'll game on the LG, despite it being cinematic widescreen. Most content is 16:9, it doesn't make sense to watch on this monitor unless you've got a file with the proper aspect ratio. The extra FoV in games that support it will be huge, however.

I recently read a post from someone who had a Dell 30" and bought the 34UM95...he said there was basically no comparison and that he could never go back to the 30". That might be a little extreme, but he was definitely happier with the 34" ultra-wide. Whites were so much whiter on the LG than the "yellow" whites on his Dell, too.

Certainly makes me feel better about selling my U3011 this week. :) If I can find that post again, I'll link to it.

For future reference, the yellow vs white you noticed was just a difference in color temperature. Either monitor can be adjusted to display the same color temperature. With a simple calibration the whites of the U3011 could match the whites of the 34UM95, or you could go the other way if you so desired.

When comparing monitors, don't let yourself get caught up on comparing whites between monitors that aren't calibrated. Black levels, on the other hand, are very important to consider.

I had some sound issues with games but enabling Dolby on my sound card took care of that issue. It also only happened with games that didn't quite support full res of the monitor and dropping it down to 1K resolution fixed the sound problems too.

For future reference, the yellow vs white you noticed was just a difference in color temperature. Either monitor can be adjusted to display the same color temperature. With a simple calibration the whites of the U3011 could match the whites of the 34UM95, or you could go the other way if you so desired.

When comparing monitors, don't let yourself get caught up on comparing whites between monitors that aren't calibrated. Black levels, on the other hand, are very important to consider.

I just came from triple NEC 2490wuxi to the dual LG UM95 and no matter what I did to adjust the white balance on the NEC they always had a warm (yellow) tint to them since brand new. I tried everything including the on board white balance and mechanical color calibrating. As soon as I turned on these LG's they had a nice cool white (bluish) color temp to them without any adjustments.

So should i get the LG or the Dell U3014?
I know a lot of ppl say the Dell is a wide gamut monitor but it has the sRGB mode .
I just want to know if the Ultra wide screen LG makes a huge different when playing game compare to a 1600p 30" monitor

So should i get the LG or the Dell U3014?
I know a lot of ppl say the Dell is a wide gamut monitor but it has the sRGB mode .
I just want to know if the Ultra wide screen LG makes a huge different when playing game compare to a 1600p 30" monitor

I don't know if these LG's have backlight bleeding issues, but the Dell U3014 definitely has a big problem with it. Even the latest Dell rev (a04) still has severe backlight bleeding. I'm going to return mine and get something else. If it wasn't for the backlight bleeding, the U3014 would be a great monitor. The image quality looks amazing.

Here's my experience:

I had the April Rev01 from Microcenter with quite disturbing orangish glow/light bleed on the lower left. I did however had no problems with DP 1.2 enabled on a GTX780Ti. I returned it.

I got another one from Costco, arrived June Rev02 as hoped. Light bleed is better and now it's on the lower right. Problem is, now with DP1.2, I'm seeing these (previously described) image distortions accompanied with a pop sound from speakers. Extremely annoying to say the least. I now have a second GTX780Ti but the issue persists with SLI enabled or disabled. I'm not sure what triggers it...

I think it's all about the particular monitor you have, not with the drivers or GPU provider. Speaks a ton about LG's quality control...

I'm happy having bought this from Costco and I'll buy another if I see in stock.

All the more reason to wait, IMO. And I don't want to wait...but the panels being hard to come by is a good motivator. I'm really eager to see if the AOC and Dell resolve these issues and how they compare to the LG. It seems so hit or miss whether you'll have problems. People are really enjoying this monitor when they don't experience the popping and distortions and blackouts. Here's hoping LG gets the issues lined out sooner than later, and I'm REALLY hoping that will be the case for the 34UM94 that Massdrop will be featuring soon. I'll be keeping a keen eye on the ensuing discussion thread there to see if people are experiencing these anomalies.

Still getting a vertical tearing/off-sync issue down the center of my screen at random times, only one other person has reported it so far and i'm tempted to call LG and ask them about that rumored firmware update. It seems to be happening more, I see it 2-3 times every 12-15 hours while gaming. It seems to happen less on the desktop, only seen it once on there. Costco doesn't have these anymore, so I really don't want to send it back. I'm still leaning towards a firmware issue... but I would imagine there'd be more reports of it if that was the case.

Happens on DP1.1 and 1.2.

Here's my experience:

I had the April Rev01 from Microcenter with quite disturbing orangish glow/light bleed on the lower left. I did however had no problems with DP 1.2 enabled on a GTX780Ti. I returned it.

I got another one from Costco, arrived June Rev02 as hoped. Light bleed is better and now it's on the lower right. Problem is, now with DP1.2, I'm seeing these (previously described) image distortions accompanied with a pop sound from speakers. Extremely annoying to say the least. I now have a second GTX780Ti but the issue persists with SLI enabled or disabled. I'm not sure what triggers it...

I think it's all about the particular monitor you have, not with the drivers or GPU provider. Speaks a ton about LG's quality control...

I'm happy having bought this from Costco and I'll buy another if I see in stock.

The DP1.2 issues are due to DP1.2 drivers. AMD has yet to fix them, while NVIDIA has. The reason why you didn't notice flickering on the first monitor is because it's random, and usually only happens after cold boots. Install the latest NVIDIA beta drivers and i'm positive your flickering will vanish.. just like it did on mine and many others.

I'm a strong believer that all of these have some sort of minor backlight bleed, which is very normal with IPS/TN edge-lit monitors. The people that claim to have zero likely aren't looking hard enough, or aren't giving their eyes enough time to focus/adjust to a dark image. In bright rooms, or any room with ambient lighting, I would imagine the minor bleeding would be completely invisible too. All of these models will have some pretty "serious" IPS glow in the corners (especially bottom corners because the monitor's stand is so low), and that's what most people are capturing in pictures. That's because of it's 21:9 34" foam factor using IPS technology though.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I love this monitor's colors, sharpness and form factor. I don't think I can be happy with another really. It's just disappointing to see these issues on this expensive piece of hardware.

I have the 337.88 WHQL. You're saying the 340.43 BETA fixes this? How come then I didn't have this problem with the previous monitor?...

Don't get me wrong, I love this monitor's colors, sharpness and form factor. I don't think I can be happy with another really. It's just disappointing to see these issues on this expensive piece of hardware.

I have the 337.88 WHQL. You're saying the 340.43 BETA fixes this? How come then I didn't have this problem with the previous monitor?...

It took 3 days for the flickering to start on my monitor. No idea, try updating to the betas. Fixed it for me. I would imagine that "orange glow" you are talking about is 100% IPS glow and vanishes when you move your head directly in front of it? All IPS displays have that problem though, it's the technology and sadly there's no ultimate display right now that doesn't have some annoying con. Even OLED currently has some input lag and burn-in issues. :(

This is the best overall monitor on the market from what i've seen, along with the ASUS 144Hz monitor for FPS gamers. If only we had a 34" 21:9 OLED 144Hz monitor. ;)

Last edited:
I used the previous monitor for a month with no flickering or popping. This one gave me that on day two and once or twice everyday since then... :(

Yeah, but the glow was more pronounced than this one and there was also lightbleed, which this one has too but less. I can differentiate between IPS glow and lightbleed ;)

I agree overall though, this monitor is the best multi-purpose monitor ever (as of now).

Still getting a vertical tearing/off-sync issue down the center of my screen at random times, only one other person has reported it so far and i'm tempted to call LG and ask them about that rumored firmware update. It seems to be happening more, I see it 2-3 times every 12-15 hours while gaming. It seems to happen less on the desktop, only seen it once on there. Costco doesn't have these anymore, so I really don't want to send it back. I'm still leaning towards a firmware issue... but I would imagine there'd be more reports of it if that was the case.

What OS are you running? Win 8.1 here.

Also are you running any apps when this happens like FRAPS or MSI Afterburner... they hook into the graphics card drivers and could potentially cause something like this. Just a thought.

What OS are you running? Win 8.1 here.

Also are you running any apps when this happens like FRAPS or MSI Afterburner... they hook into the graphics card drivers and could potentially cause something like this. Just a thought.

Hmm, yeah, actually, I started using the new EVGA Precision X 15 just about the same time I got this monitor... Could be related...

So I found the post comparing the 34UM95 with the Dell U3011. It was in this very thread! Too many pages to remember everything, haha. Anyway, check out these posts:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040802093&postcount=461

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040802095&postcount=462

When looking at that, keep in mind what AgentQ and wulfy said.

There are various other posts on the internet that compare the two monitors; you can read all about them. Most seem to prefer the 34UM95; probably because it's teh new hot thing but probably on some technical merits also.

Here's a new update from the Massdrop discussion:

Will said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your patience! If you don't want the story, here's the basic information.

1. LG has increased our cost on this monitor by $100 and we are doing everything we can to keep the price we have to charge below $900 . We've been told the initial pricing given to us was given mistakenly. This price increase effects everyone working with LG and prices across the Internet will adjust to reflect that in the next couple days. Our price will be the best price possible.

2. The 34UM94 looks very similar to the 34UM95 and our rep has verified the 34UM94 has the same silver back as the 34UM95. I can't say they're identical, but the stock photos they gave us for the 34UM94 are the same photos you see on 34UM95 pages.

3. The 34UM94 will come with a three-year warranty from LG.

4. The 34UM94s purchased in this upcoming drop will not ship until late August according to LG.

Here's the full story if you have even more patience : )

In my last major update, I talked about how we might be able to list the 34UM94 for $800 shipped to US addresses. That price was based on the official bid LG gave us following our account approval.

After I posted that update, some members cross-posted the info to a few other search indexed forums. Normally this is great because it increases awareness for the poll, product, and eventual drop resulting in bigger numbers and bigger savings.

Sadly, the 34UM94 is a new product, so there's not much written about it online. Because of that lack of material, the forum posts about our possible $800 price level became the top search results for "LG 34UM94".

LG is a large organization with many tiers of management and when some managers saw those posts online, they became concerned that some company they don't know (Massdrop) looks like they're going to sell the 34UM94 for substantially less than the rest of their retailers (some of the posts made it seem like we were already selling the product).

Following this, I had to start the pitching process again, explaining Massdrop to a new group of managers and decision makers.

At the same time that was happening, other stores online saw those posts and started putting up speculative product pages based on what they thought their cost would be if we could list the UM3494 for $800 (not the most important thing to know, but you're reading this because you're curious).

Following this new round of consideration, our initial quote was revoked ( we were told it was a mistake, a reasonable possibility given the new nature of the product) and replaced with a new quote with a cost $100 higher than our previous cost. Given that, $800 shipped isn't possible. We're doing everything we can to make it close (it'll probably end up just below $900) and we're doing our best to get this listed in the next few days.

Thanks for all your support! It's been incredible to see all the interest pouring out for this product and I'm looking forward to launching as soon as we can : )

And:

Will said:
Realistically, I doubt LG has any part of their warranty document that addresses light bleed in unambiguous terms. It'll come down to what you can show their support I imagine. Keep in mind though, we always do our best to make it right for the customer (take the Monoprice Zero-G RMA stories for example).

Additionally, it's worth knowing that when I initial spoke with them, they said it could ship in late july/early august (as per a previous update). They pushed back the date (mid to late august now as per latest update) so I asked why and they told me "to make minor improvements". That could be literally anything but based on their forum-lurking behavior, I'd guess they're looking to fix some of the problems power users have identified with the first couple batches of 34UM95s.

I am really looking forward to seeing how the AOC and Dell units compare. I'm sure this review has been linked before in this thread, but this is what Digital Trends had to say about the LG. Of course the monitor gets great reviews elsewhere, so as usual it comes down to what you're used to and what you're willing to put up with. Everyone has different standards and bases for comparison.

All the more reason to wait, IMO. And I don't want to wait...but the panels being hard to come by is a good motivator. I'm really eager to see if the AOC and Dell resolve these issues and how they compare to the LG. It seems so hit or miss whether you'll have problems. People are really enjoying this monitor when they don't experience the popping and distortions and blackouts. Here's hoping LG gets the issues lined out sooner than later, and I'm REALLY hoping that will be the case for the 34UM94 that Massdrop will be featuring soon. I'll be keeping a keen eye on the ensuing discussion thread there to see if people are experiencing these anomalies.

There will also be Philips ultra wide screen released in September. So even more goodness to choose from. I'd love also Samsung to join 21:9 race, but it seems they go either 4k or standard, and avoided that race.

Back