34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Yep, massdrop is working out the final details to be able to get the Commercial (black) version of this monitor....34UM94-P. 3 year warantee too. Target price of around $800.

Perhaps a different version won't have the bleed issues.

You guys that talk about the stand making the monitor wobble. Question on that.....it just sits there and wobbles while you type on the desk? You wrestling near the desk? Just from moving the mouse on the desk, the monitor wobbles? I don't get how it could wobble unless you're bumping the desk.

You guys that talk about the stand making the monitor wobble. Question on that.....it just sits there and wobbles while you type on the desk? You wrestling near the desk? Just from moving the mouse on the desk, the monitor wobbles? I don't get how it could wobble unless you're bumping the desk.

It's kind of small and not very sturdy. Also only has 2 vertical settings that are both rather low. They went more for style than function with it. It's has a design to make it look like it's not there. Watching too many Apple commercials I guess.

This monitor screams buy me a mount please, and since it's pretty light for it's size you don't need a very fancy one.

After having a few Dell's you learn to appreciate good stands.

Yep, massdrop is working out the final details to be able to get the Commercial (black) version of this monitor....34UM94-P. 3 year warantee too. Target price of around $800.

I wonder if the commercial version might have a different stand...? We know it will be black, maybe there are some other differences...

The monitor wobbles just from typing for me. I would imagine it wouldn't for a desk without wheels. It's only 2 screws at the very bottom of the monitor, vesa is 4 screws that are much more spread out. This stand is very sturdy against left or right momentium, but if I wheel my desk forward or backwards the thing moves so much that I feel the screws could break. It has almost no support from that momentum due to the 2 screws being so low on the monitor.

I wonder if the commercial version might have a different stand...? We know it will be black, maybe there are some other differences...

With a target of $800 i'm doubting it. I'm not sure how they'll manage that with a 3 year warranty included. I'm doubting the overall PQ will be even the same at that price. Software/firmware plays a large part in how much you get out of a panel and at $800 I doubt they are using LGs official firmware/software.

Speaking of.. my monitor started to flicker just like many others when using DP 1.2. Had to disable it. I heard firmware 2.0 is releasing soon, maybe that's why?

Last edited:
TWith a target of $800 i'm doubting it. I'm not sure how they'll manage that with a 3 year warranty included. I'm doubting the overall PQ will be even the same at that price. Software/firmware plays a large part in how much you get out of a panel and at $800 I doubt they are using LGs official firmware/software.
What nonsense is this? What makes you think an LG monitor, made by LG, but with a different case and support duration, wouldn't run the exact same firmware as the other model?

It's not like someone else is making a monitor with the LG panel. It's the same monitor, just from the business product line instead of consumer.

The price is lower because you're buying in volume, not because it's a steaming pile of crap. B&H was selling the consumer model for $899 already.

With a target of $800 i'm doubting it. I'm not sure how they'll manage that with a 3 year warranty included. I'm doubting the overall PQ will be even the same at that price. Software/firmware plays a large part in how much you get out of a panel and at $800 I doubt they are using LGs official firmware/software.

:confused:

This doesn't make any sense. If you get an LG monitor, it's going to be using LG official firmware. Massdrop isn't somehow going to write their own firmware or use some "unofficial" firmware that just happens to work. :rolleyes:

Are you familiar with Massdrop? It's just a an organized group buy.

What nonsense is this? What makes you think an LG monitor, made by LG, but with a different case and support duration, wouldn't run the exact same firmware as the other model?

It's not like someone else is making a monitor with the LG panel. It's the same monitor, just from the business product line instead of consumer.

The price is lower because you're buying in volume, not because it's a steaming pile of crap. B&H was selling the consumer model for $899 already.

$899 + 1 year warranty is still quite a bit more than $800 + 3 year warranty. That $899 was a pretty limited deal too, haven't seen it offered less than $999 recently and it's still selling out everywhere.

These are my personal doubts, no reason to be rude. I never said that's how it's going to be. I also never said it would be a steaming pile of crap, you are taking what I said to the extremes. :rolleyes:

Are you familiar with Massdrop? It's just a an organized group buy.

No, never heard of them, and that's why i'm skeptical. This monitor for $800 + 3 year warranty seems too good to be true. There would be no appeal for the official LG version of the monitor. Surely, the warranty would be covered by Massdrop and not LG, it just doesn't make sense to me. They could easily charge the same price if they are offering warranty for that long + black case.

Last edited:
$899 + 1 year warranty is still quite a bit more than $800 + 3 year warranty. That $899 was a pretty limited deal too, haven't seen it offered less than $999 recently and it's still selling out everywhere.

These are my personal doubts, no reason to be rude. I never said that's how it's going to be. I also never said it would be a steaming pile of crap, you are taking what I said to the extremes. :rolleyes:

No, never heard of them, and that's why i'm skeptical. This monitor for $800 + 3 year warranty seems too good to be true. There would be no appeal for the official LG version of the monitor. Surely, the warranty would be covered by Massdrop and not LG, it just doesn't make sense to me. They could easily charge the same price if they are offering warranty for that long + black case.

The display is from their commercial line, hence the warranty. They are both official LG versions, one sold to consumers and one sold to businesses. LG has told Massdrop they will be allowed to sell the commercial version. I would suggest you familiarize yourself with Massdrop before making comments about them.

This likely will not start at $800. It will probably start at or north of $999. Once people buy, lower prices are unlocked. Once a certain number of purchases are made, the lowest price will be unlocked. That may or may not be $800. And it will likely require hundreds of buyers.

The price is currently unknown, the $800 figure has been thrown around but that may not stick. Even so, it will likely be under $1000 but more than $800 which is hardly "too good to be true."

The display is from their commercial line, hence the warranty. They are both official LG versions, one sold to consumers and one sold to businesses. LG has told Massdrop they will be allowed to sell the commercial version. I would suggest you familiarize yourself with Massdrop before making comments about them.

The likely will not start at $800. It will probably start at or north of $999. Once people buy, lower prices are unlocked. Once a certain number of purchases are made, the lowest price will be unlocked. That may or may not be $800.

The price is currently unknown, the $800 figure has been thrown around but that may not stick. Even so, it will likely be under $1000 but more than $800 which is hardly "too good to be true."

lol, so I was mostly right? Like I said, $800 + 3 year seems too good to be true at this time. They aren't offering the monitor right now, and it may take awhile to get that many buyers. Now you are saying it'll start much higher, and that was my whole point originally. :confused:

You guys being paid by massdrop or something? I was only speculating that it's possible it won't have the same firmware, or a limited version of it, if it launches at $800 + 3 year warranty in the near future. If it's a big mass buy, and LG is willing to make a different cases for them, there's no reason why LG might not make other possible changes to the monitor. No need to get all riled up about me speculating something. It's the exact same thing you did, speculating they might give it a different stand.

duty_calls.png

lol, so I was mostly right? Like I said, $800 + 3 year seems too good to be true at this time. In a few months from now, maybe not. Now you are saying it'll start much higher, and that was my whole point originally. :confused:

You guys being paid by massdrop or something? I was only speculating that it's possible it won't have the same firmware, or a limited version of it, if it launches at $800 + 3 year warranty in the near future. If it's a big mass buy, and LG is willing to make a different cases for them, there's no reason why LG might not make other possible changes to the monitor. No need to get all riled up about me speculating something.

duty_calls.png

Maybe you don't understand the idea of group buying. It will *START* higher and come down as more commit to buying. For example, it may start at $999 and if 400 people buy, the $800 price is unlocked. Let me know if this is unclear for you.

I am personally not being paid by Massdrop. With that said, I am not going to sit around while you wildly speculate. Different firmware, limited versions. Hell, next you might say Samsung is building it. This isn't difficult to understand and all the information is available right here in this thread. There is no need to speculate when the facts are staring you in the face. And please, don't pull the "riled up" crap.

It is a commercial version and it will be sold in a group buy.

Maybe you don't understand the idea of group buying. It will *START* higher and come down as more commit to buying. For example, it may start at $999 and if 400 people buy, the $800 price is unlocked. Let me know if this is unclear for you.

I am personally not being paid by Massdrop. With that said, I am not going to sit around while you wildly speculate. Different firmware, limited versions. Hell, next you might say Samsung is building it.

This isn't different to understand and all the information is available right here in this thread. There is no need to speculate when the facts are staring you in the face. And please, don't pull the "riled up" crap.

I get what group buying is, and you are definitely riled up over someone being wrong on the internet - even after I admitted i'm probably wrong.

Now that I understand massdrop is just group buy, I understand firmware probably won't be modified. However I still stand by my $800 statement. You are going to need a lot of buyers to get anywhere near that price, especially if the commercial version does have a better stand. It's probably just the 3 year warranty and no other changes (minus the custom black casing, which probably adds to the cost).

I am not going to sit around while you wildly speculate.
I agree.
However I still stand by my $800 statement. You are going to need a lot of buyers to get anywhere near that price, especially if the commercial version does have a better stand. It's probably just the 3 year warranty and no other changes (minus the custom black casing, which probably adds to the cost).
The Massdrop rep said in the thread over there they'd likely need 100-200 buyers for that price. Seeing as it has >3,500 votes, I'm thinking that won't be too much trouble. 5% conversion doesn't seem that high.

I get what group buying is, and you are definitely riled up over someone being wrong on the internet - even after I admitted i'm probably wrong.

People are "riled up" because you've come to this thread openly admitting that you have no idea about the context or the companies involved, yet you're confidently making incorrect claims anyway. Then you went on to accuse people who disagreed with you of being paid shills for Massdrop. :rolleyes:

We'd all really appreciate if you'd take the time to gather some facts before posting.

People are "riled up" because you've come to this thread openly admitting that you have no idea about the context or the companies involved, yet you're confidently making incorrect claims anyway. Then you went on to accuse people who disagreed with you of being paid shills for Massdrop. :rolleyes:

We'd all really appreciate if you'd take the time to gather some facts before posting.

Get real. "Confidently making incorrect claims", I said I doubted it. That means, I didn't say it was or wasn't possible. As in, I wasn't even sure myself. Sorry for assuming that Massdrop was just another rebranded monitor company. You guys are nuts and blowing my statement waaay out of proportion.

Moving on because there's no point in derailing the thread more when I already admitted I was probably wrong, what three times now?

--------

Can someone with the i1 Display Pro tell me what your brightness was set to for 90cd/m2 and 120cd/m2? I keep turning mine down more and more as my eyes adjust to this big of a screen. I'm at 20 and almost feel it could still go lower. :p

Last edited:
I'm noticing something odd with my 34UM65 4/2014 build date. When in custom picture mode with super energy saver set to Off, should a fully black screen be present for several seconds, the display begins to dim itself until finally the backlight itself is turned off. I assume that's perhaps normal (good to know if it isn't though!), but that isn't the problem per se.

The problem is, if the what seems to be the automatic process of dimming / turning off the backlight for a pure black screen is 'interrupted' part of the way and the image resumes, it stays heavily dimmed. It gets stuck on a dim brightness. Adjusting the brightness up or down one mark restores the brightness to what it should be. Firmware bug or defective unit?

Unfortunately, this has been occurring in real world use. During movies or games that have a momentary fade to black for dramatic effect, or during credit sequences where one name is followed by a full black screen then another name and so on. Interestingly, the bug doesn't occur in cinema mode. Nor does it occur in custom mode when super energy saver is set to Low.

If some other 34UM65 owners are willing, I'd appreciate it if they could see if the issue exists on their own display. Here's how I reproduced the issue:

The issue can be reproduced reliably on my monitor by switching to the custom picture mode. Setting super energy saver to off. You'll want the brightness up to a high setting so you can see the change easily. Then putting up a pure black full screen that would trigger the display to begin turning off it's backlight in response to the black screen. A freeware program called 'Dead Pixel Buddy' can do this, or a custom made pure black image. From there, once a full screen black screen is up, wait 4-5 seconds exactly and exit out of the black screen just before the backlight turns itself off completely. The screen will appear unnaturally dim and inconsistent with existing brightness settings. Adjusting brightness up or down one setting then back will restore it just fine.

I've been having issues waking from sleep, but only sometimes. I'm using an EVGA 680 and it's the first time I've used Displayport, so I've got no real reason to suspect the display in particular.

Call me cynical or whatever, but I see no reason for anyone living near a Costco to go with Massdrop.

The 3 year warranty is worthless if LG simply says "yup that's normal" when you have them work on a backlight bleed issue.

I'm noticing something odd with my 34UM65 4/2014 build date. When in custom picture mode with super energy saver set to Off, should a fully black screen be present for several seconds, the display begins to dim itself until finally the backlight itself is turned off. I assume that's perhaps normal (good to know if it isn't though!), but that isn't the problem per se.

The problem is, if the what seems to be the automatic process of dimming / turning off the backlight for a pure black screen is 'interrupted' part of the way and the image resumes, it stays heavily dimmed. It gets stuck on a dim brightness. Adjusting the brightness up or down one mark restores the brightness to what it should be. Firmware bug or defective unit?

Unfortunately, this has been occurring in real world use. During movies or games that have a momentary fade to black for dramatic effect, or during credit sequences where one name is followed by a full black screen then another name and so on. Interestingly, the bug doesn't occur in cinema mode. Nor does it occur in custom mode when super energy saver is set to Low.

If some other 34UM65 owners are willing, I'd appreciate it if they could see if the issue exists on their own display. Here's how I reproduced the issue:

The issue can be reproduced reliably on my monitor by switching to the custom picture mode. Setting super energy saver to off. You'll want the brightness up to a high setting so you can see the change easily. Then putting up a pure black full screen that would trigger the display to begin turning off it's backlight in response to the black screen. A freeware program called 'Dead Pixel Buddy' can do this, or a custom made pure black image. From there, once a full screen black screen is up, wait 4-5 seconds exactly and exit out of the black screen just before the backlight turns itself off completely. The screen will appear unnaturally dim and inconsistent with existing brightness settings. Adjusting brightness up or down one setting then back will restore it just fine.

Not sure if the 65 is different but I haven't had that issue on my 95, I am in custom with saver off. When I launch a game, I can see that the backlight shuts for about one second as I go into full screen mode, and then turns back on before any logos/menus are shown. No gradual fading or anything of the sort.

http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php

If I go there, select black, press F11 to fullscreen my backlight never turns off or dims. Have you tried disabling DisplayPort 1.2? I hear there's a firmware update soon for these so not sure what all it's going to bring, the 95 may just not have that issue in it's firmware. EDIT: Tried doing a factory reset?

Call me cynical or whatever, but I see no reason for anyone living near a Costco to go with Massdrop.

The 3 year warranty is worthless if LG simply says "yup that's normal" when you have them work on a backlight bleed issue.

Yeah I agree, I'm happy with my purchase even with the 1 year warranty (and I paid $1050 due to Costco tax/fees). I've heard amazing stories about LG's warranty, but also quite a few "Yeah.. we're not going to replace this" stories. Robbie Khan's reddit post scares me a bit. :p

Last edited:
I think the part where you questioned if someone worked for MD was kinda uncalled for. Everyone is just trying to share information on this great monitor and we happen to hear about another great option and wanted to share with Hard Forums.

Regardless, I'm super excited to get my own.

You know what's really sad...I have had this monitor for 2 weeks now and I still don't want to go to bed because I love it so much <GRIN>.

I think this has been the best upgrade I have had since I went from a 486DX to a Coppermine overclock too 733.

this sucker beats even when SSD's first hit easily.

What exactly is business product line? What are the differences (based on some other monitors)?
Longer warranty, probably a black case instead of silver. There are a few more details in the thread associated with the poll on Massdrop. Basically, they're not normally available to consumers, only business (read: bulk/distributor) purchasers. Apparently they can't do a drop for the 34UM95, just the 34UM94. Probably has something to do with LG's sales structure, at a guess.

The saving $150 part is one reason. Another is perhaps that they don't mind some IPS glow in dark scenes and they think the issue is overhyped and exists in all large IPS monitors.

Bobalias_LeShay said:
Longer warranty, probably a black case instead of silver. There are a few more details in the thread associated with the poll on Massdrop. Basically, they're not normally available to consumers, only business (read: bulk/distributor) purchasers. Apparently they can't do a drop for the 34UM95, just the 34UM94. Probably has something to do with LG's sales structure, at a guess.

So, most likely it's 34UM95, just extended warranty and black case. Like, internally both should be the same?

Sigh.....guys....Ok, I'm going to clear up a bunch of confusion going on lately. First Brent's Costco thing.

Nothing wrong with Costco, great return policy, but regular retailers still appear to be getting panels with bleed issues. Frys, Costco, seems it's still occurring even on panels with June+ dates.
I'm going with the Massdrop 34UM94-P because it'll be a later manufactured date, and commercial line so I'm hoping it's built better (3 year warantee suggests this). Massdrop is the only place currently to get the 34UM94-P.

Massdrop is different, and this is the other confusion I wanted to clear up how massdrop works. This Massdrop monitor is the 34UM94-P. It's from LG's commercial line which gives it the 3 year warantee. It's like a car dealer selling the same car as a fleet sale and thus makes it cheaper. Same car. This is the same monitor as the 34UM95, just a black chassis, and 3 year warantee, probably same stand.
- It is NOT different firmware (unless they've updated it).
- It is NOT altered in anyway by Massdrop

And here's how this will work: Massdrop already has near 3000 votes to sell this monitor, and already has approval from LG to do so. They will probably get 200-300 buyers if not more from that.
- The buy will open up at 'who knows' what price, let's just say $999.
- How Massdrop works is the more people that put in their credit card info with intent to buy it, the lower that price will go.
- It doesn't charge you anything until the drop ends at such and such date.
- So you don't get charged the starting price just cuz you were one of the first to buy in, you only get charged (assuming you agree) with the final price it's at when the drop ends.

So there's no scam, nothing shady, no "different" special massdrop firmware version, it's the SAME as buying a LG 34UM94-P somewhere else, except you can get it cheaper doing it this way.

- The warantee will still be a 3 year warantee WITH LG, not massdrop. Massdrop is doing nothing but organizing all the money and working with LG. They don't touch the hardware other than to ship it to you.

Reason why this specific massdrop is so great is because this:
- Is a black chassis monitor, some people don't like the silver
- It's a 3 year warantee instead of the standard 1 year
- (Part I'm hoping for) It's different model number than the 34UM95 so I'm hoping it doesn't have the same backlight bleed issues, but it may still.

-------------------- That's the last thing I want to clear up --------------------
I think some of these panels are IPS glow being misinterpretted as backlight bleed. Not in all cases, but I'll say it again:
-- IPS glow is when the glow intensity changes as you move your head around (your vantage point changes). That is in all IPS panels, LG can't do anything about it until we all go OLED
-- Backlight bleed is when you move your vantage point and the glow does not change at all. That's legit backlight bleed

You know what's really sad...I have had this monitor for 2 weeks now and I still don't want to go to bed because I love it so much <GRIN>.

I think this has been the best upgrade I have had since I went from a 486DX to a Coppermine overclock too 733.

this sucker beats even when SSD's first hit easily.

I saw your picture earlier showing the corners in the a dark room, can you fullscreen this (F11) and see if you get any bleeding out the bottom? It's easier to see from like 3+ feet away.
http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php?p=1

I think some of these panels are IPS glow being misinterpretted as backlight bleed. Not in all cases, but I'll say it again:
-- IPS glow is when the glow intensity changes as you move your head around (your vantage point changes). That is in all IPS panels, LG can't do anything about it until we all go OLED
-- Backlight bleed is when you move your vantage point and the glow does not change at all. That's legit backlight bleed

I think almost all of them are being misinterpreted. I tried to take pictures of mine and it looks just like most on here, but it's just IPS glow in my case and completely normal. The pictures make it look dramatically worse than real life. The only real backlight bleeding my panel has is a 1x1 section about 3 inches from the bottom left corner. It seems more like pressure on the panel than backlight bleed, pushing on the bezel anywhere on the bottom has the same affect. I'm extremely picky guy and I would say it's within tolerable ranges, despite being a little annoying when watching 4:3/16:9 content, and during dark game loading screens.

Last edited:
I saw your picture earlier showing the corners in the a dark room, can you fullscreen this (F11) and see if you get any bleeding out the bottom? It's easier to see from like 3+ feet away.
http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php?p=1

I think almost all of them are being misinterpreted. I tried to take pictures of mine and it looks just like most on here, but it's just IPS glow in my case and completely normal. The pictures make it look dramatically worse than real life. The only real backlight bleeding my panel has is a 1x1 section about 3 inches from the bottom left corner. It seems more like pressure on the panel than backlight bleed, pushing on the bezel anywhere on the bottom has the same affect. I'm extremely picky guy and I would say it's within tolerable ranges, despite being a little annoying when watching 4:3/16:9 content, and during dark game loading screens.

Yea, I remember you talking about that. Think it was you where you thought a screw was too tight and you wanted to loosen it to test if that fixed it. It's things like that in why I'm hoping the massdrop 34UM94-P may not have this issue with it being a later manufactured date and perhaps commercial line is built differently. But that's just me hoping.

Not sure if the 65 is different but I haven't had that issue on my 95, I am in custom with saver off. When I launch a game, I can see that the backlight shuts for about one second as I go into full screen mode, and then turns back on before any logos/menus are shown. No gradual fading or anything of the sort.

http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php

If I go there, select black, press F11 to fullscreen my backlight never turns off or dims. Have you tried disabling DisplayPort 1.2? I hear there's a firmware update soon for these so not sure what all it's going to bring, the 95 may just not have that issue in it's firmware. EDIT: Tried doing a factory reset?

Thanks for the reply and testing,Tyrindor.I've done a factory reset on my 34UM65. No effect. I'm hooked via DVI-dual link(which is fine for 2560x1080) and either the monitor doesn't have a DP 1.2 setting or it doesn't show up while connected through DVI.

Regarding the above link, mine does dim and shut off when set to full screen black, but only if the white mouse cursor is off the screen. If it's on screen, it won't. But the issue does occur with that link in custom mode / energy saver off.

I'm thinking it's either specific to the 34UM65 or I've got a defective unit. Except for the issue, it's a good looking display with no dead pixels and only minimal lower right backlight bleed, so I'd hate to send it back without hearing from a UM65 owner.

Thanks for the reply and testing,Tyrindor.I've done a factory reset on my 34UM65. No effect. I'm hooked via DVI-dual link(which is fine for 2560x1080) and either the monitor doesn't have a DP 1.2 setting or it doesn't show up while connected through DVI.

Regarding the above link, mine does dim and shut off when set to full screen black, but only if the white mouse cursor is off the screen. If it's on screen, it won't. But the issue does occur with that link in custom mode / energy saver off.

I'm thinking it's either specific to the 34UM65 or I've got a defective unit. Except for the issue, it's a good looking display with no dead pixels and only minimal lower right backlight bleed, so I'd hate to send it back without hearing from a UM65 owner.

Well I got good news (or bad news depending how you want to look at it)... Moving the mouse off the screen did the trick, my panel dimmed. I exited out of full screen while it was dimming and now the monitor is stuck in a dimmed state. I've yet to experience this during normal usage but I could see how it could in some movies/games.

I would report this to LG, maybe it's already being fixed in the rumored upcoming firmware 2.0.

Thanks Tyrindor, knowing that does make me feel better at least. I'll submit a report to LG with those steps to reproduce the issue. If other folks report the issue as well perhaps we'll have an even better chance of seeing a firmware fix for it.

I dont have experience ordering from massdrop but i read a couple Reddit threads that say once the drop is complete it takes months to get the item. Anyone with massdrop experience care to share their experience?

I dont have experience ordering from massdrop but i read a couple Reddit threads that say once the drop is complete it takes months to get the item. Anyone with massdrop experience care to share their experience?
It depends where the Massdrop is working with. It's a direct order from the Manufacture and the shipment arrives to Massdrop's facilities in bulk and reshipped to buyers. So it depends heavily on the manufacture's response time.

From the current standing, the process hasn't been moved along to final planning yet. It looks like Massdrop and LG has come to an agreement and they are essentially finishing the final details before putting the sign up as Massdrop live. Once the product goes live on Massdrop, there is typically a week to allow any users interested in signing up, and then Massdrop makes a big order.

But from the discussion at Massdrop on the topic, Will, the guy who is handling this project as Massdrop, is indicating that LG is one of the fewer responsive manufactures (compared to their other drops) and that the LG 34UM94 is not heavily demanded as the consumer 34UM95, meaning the current 34UM95 supplies are already being hard to meet.

Will from Massdrop said:
Aside from the extended warranty and the possibly all-black case (still to be determined), they also have a shorter wait time attached to them. A Massdrop order for the standard 34UM95 wouldn't ship until mid to late August (according to LG) but the 34UM94s should be good to go by late this month.

There's no real timeline, it's just a waiting game. Use your best judgement.

Last edited:
They must have sold out at Costco.com because the monitor isn't showing up for me anymore. I was going to try to exchange or return this one for one with less light bleed (it's bad, does not change with angle, I've had many IPS screens) but that is on hold for now I guess.

Good news is that the 34um94 seems to be popping up around for $850 around the interwebs. I'd imagine the $800 price point is entirely realistic from massdrop.

http://www.provantage.com/lg-electronics-34um94-p~ALGTV00U.htm

http://www.shopblt.com/item/lg-electronics-34um94-p-34in-widescreen-led/lge_34um94p.html

Not too sure about the reputability of these merchants.

I've ordered from both without any issue. Not sure if either are authorized dealers, but Provantage has better ratings.

So, if the UM94 is $850 street, and say initially listed on Massdrop for $800.. realistically, how low could it possibly go if they happen to get maybe a thousand orders. $700, $600?

I've ordered from both without any issue. Not sure if either are authorized dealers, but Provantage has better ratings.

So, if the UM94 is $850 street, and say initially listed on Massdrop for $800.. realistically, how low could it possibly go if they happen to get maybe a thousand orders. $700, $600?

Don't tease yourself like that ;) No, the massdrop one will probably be able to get to $800 like initially thought. I saw some of Massdrop's other items selling, like a certain coffee maker, and MD had it for $10 cheaper than everywhere else

No way you'd see the monitor go under $750, that's too much of a dream which means it can't happen

Don't tease yourself like that ;) No, the massdrop one will probably be able to get to $800 like initially thought. I saw some of Massdrop's other items selling, like a certain coffee maker, and MD had it for $10 cheaper than everywhere else

No way you'd see the monitor go under $750, that's too much of a dream which means it can't happen

Dang, thanks! $850 street to $800 group-buy really isn't all that enticing to be honest.. even more so, considering the additional waiting time for MD to coordinate, order, receive and then ship.

Think I'll continue holding off and see where the AOC lands in the US price-wise. Just saw a few shops in Europe open pre-orders with 3 to 6-week ETA. Price was much higher than the original €500 to 600 that was expected, though.. all listing were €800 to 900+ (lowest was €816, including 19% VAT.. so ~€700). Seems way too high versus the UM94 at BLT imo.

http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/aoc-u3477pqu-a1140422.html

https://geizhals.at/aoc-u3477pqu-a1140422.html

I ordered two from B&H Jun 24 for $899 each and received them three days ago Wed.. Jun 2014 build date. I love them! Minor backlight bleed as described by others. Noticeable IPS glow in the corners just because this screen is so wide. You move your head over to the corner and it disappears. Any amount of color on the screen, windows framing or scroll bars you do not notice the backlight bleed anyway. If you sit in a completely dark room with a dark screen is the only way that I notice. It does not bother me one bit, this is a productivity monitor for me anyway and it excels at that. AutoCAD, Photoshop, Photo Mechanic, Premiere are all a joy to use. The resolution is at the sweet spot and the width is perfect. I played a couple of flying and auto racing games and I actually started to get dizzy from the realism of the added peripheral vision. I retired my triple NEC 2490WUXi monitor setup for this dual setup. I run windows and apple with boot camp. Powered by a new Mac Pro 6 core 3.5mhz, 32gb ram, dual D700 video cards.

I retired my triple NEC 2490WUXi monitor setup for this dual setup. I run windows and apple with boot camp. Powered by a new Mac Pro 6 core 3.5mhz, 32gb ram, dual D700 video cards.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Can you snap a pic of them side by side!?!

Back