34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

WoW..... Today's a good day!

Not only was I promoted to Department manager this morning, but my 34UM95-P just arrived completely unannounced!!! :eek: :D

WOOT!

10wmttg.jpg

Double grats! :D

WoW..... Today's a good day!

Not only was I promoted to Department manager this morning, but my 34UM95-P just arrived completely unannounced!!! :eek: :D

WOOT!

10wmttg.jpg
Congrats #2!

and I know where you live/work... just letting you know you might want to get rid of this picture!

Anyone hear anything new about a potential Dell version? I'm not so sure LG's 1 year warranty is something I want to rely on.

I'm going to go ahead and cancel my Adorama order. If Amazon has regular stock of this monitor and gets near $899, I may go ahead and order one there.

Just got my shipping confirmation from Newegg. I should have it by the end of the week. :D

Looks like my panel was made in "May 2014".

Looking at the distributor lists for Canada, there are two less displays on order compared to yesterday. I'm assuming mine was one of them, so who else in Canada got one? :cool:

I think I'm going to muster all the strength I can and hold off swapping out my 29EA93 with the 34" until the weekend. The EA93 is arm mounted so it's a bit of work to do the swap + change out the display and power cables. A task better suited for the weekend (a long weekend at that).

Has anyone gotten this from Amazon yet? I had my on pre-order since last Month and got my notification today if I wanted to keep my order since a month has passed without Amazon getting them in-stock. I'm not in a huge rush, but would be still nice to know when it will show up...

Rather than repost a wall of text here I thought you guys might like to hear about my experience with LG's warranty support regarding my 34UM95 which developed backlight bleed 2 weeks after purchase.

I've posted about it on Reddit here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/28vyaw/so_i_was_really_pleased_with_my_lg_34_ultrawide/

I'm from the Netherlands and still waiting for mine, I ordered approximately 4 weeks ago. Apparently in the Netherlands these monitors are being recalled, someone contacted Max ICT and they said:

We have asked our distributor. This product currently has an unknown delivery time. The LG screens are called back because of a fabrication error in the backlight. At the moment it is not known when this model will be available.

Last edited:
I guess that would be somewhat more comforting to those who are on backorder despite having to wait longer to receive the monitor, but most people are impatient and will probably complain.

I'm from the Netherlands and still waiting for mine, I ordered approximately 4 weeks ago. Apparently in the Netherlands these monitors are being recalled, someone contacted Max ICT and they said:

which

Interesting thanks for this, I just don't understand why LG have still not made an announcement about this and are basically hoping none of the current buyers will notice the problem.

Interesting thanks for this, I just don't understand why LG have still not made an announcement about this and are basically hoping none of the current buyers will notice the problem.

You can't really assume that the backlight bleed issue applies to earlier monitors as well. It's entirely possible that they had a bad batch go out, assuming that quote is actually true.

You can't really assume that the backlight bleed issue applies to earlier monitors as well. It's entirely possible that they had a bad batch go out, assuming that quote is actually true.

I understand this point but even still an announcement stating that they have noted issues with them and are working on it goes a long way as opposed to people finding out through 3rd parties like we are now.

Remember I'm the one in the middle of all this right now and having been told by LG that they don't know what's going on so have every right to be angry at them.

I ordered from NE and mine is in transit from California according to UPS tracking. NE also sent the 4790k invoice today so I expect that to ship real soon. Pair that with 2 x 290x CF GPUs and I should be able to game very nicely on this monitor for years to come. :D

I ordered from NE and mine is in transit from California according to UPS tracking. NE also sent the 4790k invoice today so I expect that to ship real soon. Pair that with 2 x 290x CF GPUs and I should be able to game very nicely on this monitor for years to come. :D

You're gonna wanna put two GELID Icy Vision Rev 2 coolers on those 290x's (crossfire). Those jet engine sounding furnace supernova cards get to 94-100c on the stock coolers.
Look at me assume.....you probably don't have the stock coolers. Nm.

The GELID is the best aftermarket cooler for 290x's though. Brings it's 94c down to 60-65c load. This is using good thermal paste and thermal glue, not the thermal pad crap that comes with the Gelid though

You're gonna wanna put two GELID Icy Vision Rev 2 coolers on those 290x's (crossfire). Those jet engine sounding furnace supernova cards get to 94-100c on the stock coolers.
Look at me assume.....you probably don't have the stock coolers. Nm.

The GELID is the best aftermarket cooler for 290x's though. Brings it's 94c down to 60-65c load. This is using good thermal paste and thermal glue, not the thermal pad crap that comes with the Gelid though

They are Saphire Tri-X OC cards. They got excellent cooling already.

Edit: Just realized I need to buy a display port cable still. Can anyone recommend a good brand. I assume they are all the same but not sure.

Last edited:
They are Saphire Tri-X OC cards. They got excellent cooling already.

Edit: Just realized I need to buy a display port cable still. Can anyone recommend a good brand. I assume they are all the same but not sure.

Just get a good one from monoprice.com and it should be good quality. Brand doesn't matter unless it says Daewoo on it

Btw, I don't remember if it's mentioned in this thread or not, but found out from another thread.....rumors about this monitor through the grapevine, and this is supposedly from distributors who talked to LG....this monitor is being recalled supposedly, and production has paused to fix "backlight fabrication" issues.

Latest from LG (again, rumor) is that we won't see more of these until August/September. Now, to clarify, there are stock at Fry's and what not, but that's the early design and you run the risk of backlight issues with those.

Btw, I don't remember if it's mentioned in this thread or not, but found out from another thread.....rumors about this monitor through the grapevine, and this is supposedly from distributors who talked to LG....this monitor is being recalled supposedly, and production has paused to fix "backlight fabrication" issues.

Latest from LG (again, rumor) is that we won't see more of these until August/September. Now, to clarify, there are stock at Fry's and what not, but that's the early design and you run the risk of backlight issues with those.

thank you for the heads up. I believe someone else also mentioned that same thing in this thread.

So maybe now we can see if AOC releases their 34" model on time? Would definitely love to see head to head review when both are out on the market

I have one of the early units, ordered near the end of May. Haven't noticed any real change as far as the backlight goes... there is a little bleeding in the lower left and right corner, but every IPS I've owned has had this to some degree. I guess if they noticeably improve the uniformity with a newer revision I'll just RMA mine when the time comes, but I'm fine with my unit - it's not perfect but again, no worse than any other IPS panel I've used.

I have one of the early units, ordered near the end of May. Haven't noticed any real change as far as the backlight goes... there is a little bleeding in the lower left and right corner, but every IPS I've owned has had this to some degree. I guess if they noticeably improve the uniformity with a newer revision I'll just RMA mine when the time comes, but I'm fine with my unit - it's not perfect but again, no worse than any other IPS panel I've used.

Sounds like my monitor and sentiment mirror yours exactly.

Never heard of this rumor. Probably not true.

Can't find a legit source about this.

Never heard of this rumor. Probably not true.

Can't find a legit source about this.

An official announcement? These are the same people who tell customers to not use a monitor in the dark because in daylight there's less backlight bleed visible...

Interesting ... I'm waiting for mine in Belgium ... so far it has been delayed for almost 3 weeks ... last time it was scheduled for June 26th so I'll see tomorrow if it arrives

If they are recalled in the Netherlands though they are probably recalled here too ... same Benelux market anyway

I hope I'll get a fixed one :)

Well I caved, and set mine up last night (got home early so figured what the heck!) :D

So far all I can see is a bit of IPS glow in the bottom left and right corners. Depending on how I move my head, this glow disappears and was further lessened after calibration of the panel.

I don't see any obvious light bleed at all. My 29EA93 has a bit along the top edge but it was never enough to really bother me. Nice to see that the UM95 doesn't appear to have any.

The added screen real estate and resolution compared to the 29EA93 is simply awesome!
Gaming on this thing is like a whole new experience - and the experience with the 29" was already pretty darn good. 34" is just so very immersive, you can really get lost in it.

Only thing I'd like to see is a curved version of this display.

Just got an update on RMA of this Monitor. The retail that I bought this monitor from says they sent the LG 34UM95 to the producer (I guess to LG?) and the "producer" says that they didn't found any problem with the monitor and the retail just got the monitor back and already sent it to me today, so I'll received my half-broken monitor back by tomorrow. All of it took about 1.5 week I think.

I sent them an e-mail today and hopefully they'll take the monitor back and refund me my money or send a replacement. Hopefully they'll say "yes" to one of it.

Here is some pictures of my monitor after some weeks uses:

Link:

1. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2popnyc&s=8#.U6tBqPmSyXm
2. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=21ocyvm&s=8#.U6tB3fmSyXl
3. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=289vrbr&s=8#.U6tCwvmSyXk
4. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=wkkaky&s=8#.U6tC5_mSyXk

How many of you here have bad Backlight bleed (I guess thats what it call?) and when did your monitor got made (you can check it behind the monitor). Mine is from April 2014. Maybe monitor that's made after April is better?

This is an expensive monitor so I'll try everything I can to either get money back or a replacement but from what I read so far in here and other websites it seems that LG really got bad Support Service. So I guess I wouldn't deal with them directly but fight my case with the retail that I bought this monitor from or talk to people that will deal problem with Consumer and Retail stuff that you bought from Internet (I don't know what people call them in other contry hehe).

i1Display Pro is much better. I finally bought one to replace my Spyder4.

You are comparing Spyder4 to 1Display pro which are different products and different brands.

Is i1 Display pro much better than colormunki (same brand) and how much better?

I am a hobbyist photographer so if I can get away by calibrating my 34UM95 using just the colormunki, I would rather not over-spend for i1 pro and its extra features which I might not even use.

Last edited:
Just got an update on RMA of this Monitor. The retail that I bought this monitor from says they sent the LG 34UM95 to the producer (I guess to LG?) and the "producer" says that they didn't found any problem with the monitor and the retail just got the monitor back and already sent it to me today, so I'll received my half-broken monitor back by tomorrow. All of it took about 1.5 week I think.

I sent them an e-mail today and hopefully they'll take the monitor back and refund me my money or send a replacement. Hopefully they'll say "yes" to one of it.

Here is some pictures of my monitor after some weeks uses:

Link:

1. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2popnyc&s=8#.U6tBqPmSyXm
2. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=21ocyvm&s=8#.U6tB3fmSyXl
3. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=289vrbr&s=8#.U6tCwvmSyXk
4. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=wkkaky&s=8#.U6tC5_mSyXk

How many of you here have bad Backlight bleed (I guess thats what it call?) and when did your monitor got made (you can check it behind the monitor). Mine is from April 2014. Maybe monitor that's made after April is better?

This is an expensive monitor so I'll try everything I can to either get money back or a replacement but from what I read so far in here and other websites it seems that LG really got bad Support Service. So I guess I wouldn't deal with them directly but fight my case with the retail that I bought this monitor from or talk to people that will deal problem with Consumer and Retail stuff that you bought from Internet (I don't know what people call them in other contry hehe).

That sucks. I've only owned my 34UM95-P for a few weeks but so far no noticeable back light bleed.

xn9oo4.jpg

2qaqvth.jpg

t7ziax.jpg

Crazy question here from a PC rookie. I'm building a simulator for Iracing and flying games. Would I be able to hook three of these up and run them with two Titan blacks. These monitors only have one display port and the aspect ratio is something to consider for thre of them running in surround. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Crazy question here from a PC rookie. I'm building a simulator for Iracing and flying games. Would I be able to hook three of these up and run them with two Titan blacks. These monitors only have one display port and the aspect ratio is something to consider for thre of them running in surround. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10320x1440 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Now that im over the awe ill try to answer.

Im going to say kinda. You have three inputs: HDMI, Display port, and thunderbolt

Thunderbolt: Rule that out since there are no dvi-d thunderbolt adapters in existence to my knowledge.

Display port: one display port out on each titan and one display port in on each monitor. That takes care of two monitors.

HDMI: Can't handle 3440x1440 @ 60hz. Spec 1.4b can, but neither the titan nor the display are compatible with 1.4b. So you won't get 60hz on the third monitor

So even if the the titan can handle three of these monitors you will run into a hardware limitation. Where that limitation is, im unsure. (Maybe 30hz I heard? not sure.)

I think the proper setup for what you are trying to do should be 5 x 24" or 27" 1080p monitors. This will allow you to better surrond yourself with the monitors to have the full immersion that you would have in a cockpit. With three 34" monitors side by side, you are sacrificing the proper curve that you would normally have.

Check out these setups:
http://www.davebritzius.com/a-five-monitor-two-high-end-pc-flight-simulator-cockpit-setup

A guy on here named calsignvega has also done some cool 5 monitor setups. Check out his videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nHKqbNX4fs

Might want to also look at a 295x2 which has 4 display-ports on it. With this you wouldn't have a hardware limitation.

Another thing to consider. You were going to spend 2k on 2 titan blacks. For 2k you could pick up 3 x 290x for less than 2k or run 4 x 290x for about 2k. Have a LOT more power and all the connections you need.

If you got the coin, could always buy the NEC curved monitors:
IMG0028471.jpg

Only 8k a pop

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I m not partial to Nvidia and was actually researching the 295x2. So if that gets them connected will the wide aspect ratio mess with this setup in most games. I appreciate any input

Back