34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Too bad the benQ doesn't have a backlight strobing mode like the eizo fg2421 1080p VA panel does. That would make it a lot more appealing to me. It also won't have the upcoming g-sync. Really it has always come down to picking your tradeoffs.

You are trading off 21:9 aspect, and at 3440x1440 you are trading off that kind of desktop real-estate without bezels/without using multiple monitors - for the VA black levels. Also perhaps even a nearly overlarge screen vs ppi depending how close you set it to you vs a 27" 2560x1440. I like the ppi and text on a 2560x1440 at 27" so the larger screen and larger pixels of the 32" benq at the same rez wouldn't be considered an improvement to me personally. You could move it back to "shrink" it and it's ppi to your perspective though anyway if you had room and a good monitor arm. I don't watch movies at my pc, maybe a trailer or some youtube videos (talkshow interviews, gaming tech reports, etc)... so the blacklevels aren't as critical for desktop/app use, but would be welcomed as long as it didn't suffer a lot of other tradeoffs vs a 2560x1440 ips or the 3440x1440 LG.

In regard to games I'd want 120hz+ and gsync/ulmb (dynamic hz/backlight strobing) going forward. The 21:9 aspect does look appealing for certain games though, and counts for something if you have to use a single all-around monitor.

Basically, to me, neither is a modern gaming monitor. The LG is a desktop/apps real-estate and ips color (and uniformity for the most part) monitor which only has 60hz gaming but 21:9 aspect improvement. The BenQ has 2560x1440 VA going for it, which has much better black levels (most important for movies which is why a lot of LCD TV's are VA). It is also only 60hz and lacks other gaming tech advancements.

So for my personal usage either would be used for desktop/apps almost all of the time. So it would be mostly the difference between 21:9 worth of more desktop/app real esate vs VA black levels/detail in blacks.
3440x1440 vs 2560x1440... with a few tiled games and arcade games (those without continual 1st/3rd person FoV movement) being a bonus on the 21:9 aspect.
Don't forget that more desktop monitors released in the future will be 3840x2160 too, (in regard to desktop real-estate not aspect ratio and FoV in games).

real-esate wise
.web-cyb.org 4k_21x9_2560x-27in-and-30in_1080p_same-ppi.jpg

Last edited:
having used this for a week, I am never going back to 16:9 for work.

I program, so I use multiple windows, and sometime many sub windows of code. For shear visual real-estate this is great for work environment. Its also OK for games and movies. I played BF4, NFS, and CIV games, and for casual gamer is fine. At home I own, QNIX 1440, and Asus 27 with lightboost.

QNIX is all around winner for gaming and movies, and some work
LG 21:9 for work can't be beat.
Lightboost, blah blah blah......washed out colors, and shit TN. I can't ever go back after IPS, PLS etc...

You don't own a 21x9 monitor, or only play a couple games, if you claim "it works for 90% of games + the rest work with flawless widescreen". As someone who actually owns a 21x9 monitor that is a total bogus claim. It works for maybe 75% of games in the last ~3 years including the ones fixed by that program. Game's before that, far less will work. 21:9 will not be mainstream for a long time, if ever, it is a very niche market currently. There's no other 30"+ 1440p 16x9 monitors on the market currently, it's not mainstream. I wouldn't even consider 27" 1440p mainstream, very few people are on 1440p outside of user on forums such as these.

You act like just cuz one is 2445:1 and one is 900:1 that means one is going to be a black hole of awesome black, and the other's black levels are going to be so bad, it's like looking at white. Your number differences don't pan out to reality. It's a minor difference and it's not a difference people care about if choosing this monitor for gaming. You're clearly obsessed with black levels and judge everything by that. This is a monitor for productivity and immersive gaming without triple screen. No one buys this monitor for black levels. They get it for the experience of 21:9. But OMG one is 550000000:1 contrast....sucks the eyes right out of your head it's so black, now THAT's gaming!!!

Gaming = immersive triple screen or 120hz, either or, that's the best choices for gaming, and now we have a 21:9 choice. Equating gaming to black levels is like saying racing around in a Ferrari isn't going to be as fun cuz it's windows aren't tinted enough.

----- See this?-----
"I own this monitor and I can confirm that it works in 100% of the games I play: Metro, Skyrim, FSX, Prepar3D, World of Tanks, World of Airplanes, Dota 2 (minor shop bug - no problem), EuroTruckSim2, Grid 2, Assasin Creed BF (with widescreen app), Wolfenstein The New Order, Dead Space, Civ 5, CS GO, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Deus Ex, Arma 2, Day Z, Arma 3, Starcraft 2 (with widescreen app).
Maybe there are some other games out there that have some issues but these are the ones I have installed and they all work just fine."

That's the wordage of another post. Yea, only 75% of games. Guess he's lying. Guess the other person who I originally got that information from was lying too. It was his words that said "90% of games work 21:9 on their own, the rest just need flawless widescreen".
His words, not mine.

But you claim 75%......then said more modern games were fine. Did you assume I'm playing King's Quest? Doom 2? Kill the Wumpus? Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

I wouldn't come back and post with disdain if you wouldn't start it. You attack my words and then spew your own inaccuracies.

I'll sum up, so you understand........Gaming either = 120hz if you're in that crowd, or it's triple screen immersion, if you're in that crowd. 34UM95 is for folks who want similar to triple screen, but without most of the hassles.

No one says gaming is about black levels

You act like just cuz one is 2445:1 and one is 900:1 that means one is going to be a black hole of awesome black, and the other's black levels are going to be so bad, it's like looking at white. Your number differences don't pan out to reality. It's a minor difference and it's not a difference people care about if choosing this monitor for gaming. You're clearly obsessed with black levels and judge everything by that. This is a monitor for productivity and immersive gaming without triple screen. No one buys this monitor for black levels. They get it for the experience of 21:9. But OMG one is 550000000:1 contrast....sucks the eyes right out of your head it's so black, now THAT's gaming!!!

Gaming = immersive triple screen or 120hz, either or, that's the best choices for gaming, and now we have a 21:9 choice. Equating gaming to black levels is like saying racing around in a Ferrari isn't going to be as fun cuz it's windows aren't tinted enough.

----- See this?-----
"I own this monitor and I can confirm that it works in 100% of the games I play: Metro, Skyrim, FSX, Prepar3D, World of Tanks, World of Airplanes, Dota 2 (minor shop bug - no problem), EuroTruckSim2, Grid 2, Assasin Creed BF (with widescreen app), Wolfenstein The New Order, Dead Space, Civ 5, CS GO, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Deus Ex, Arma 2, Day Z, Arma 3, Starcraft 2 (with widescreen app).
Maybe there are some other games out there that have some issues but these are the ones I have installed and they all work just fine."

That's the wordage of another post. Yea, only 75% of games. Guess he's lying. Guess the other person who I originally got that information from was lying too. It was his words that said "90% of games work 21:9 on their own, the rest just need flawless widescreen".
His words, not mine.

But you claim 75%......then said more modern games were fine. Did you assume I'm playing King's Quest? Doom 2? Kill the Wumpus? Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

I wouldn't come back and post with disdain if you wouldn't start it. You attack my words and then spew your own inaccuracies.

I'll sum up, so you understand........Gaming either = 120hz if you're in that crowd, or it's triple screen immersion, if you're in that crowd. 34UM95 is for folks who want similar to triple screen, but without most of the hassles.

No one says gaming is about black levels

If you say so.

First of all, I never stated it's the only important thing. You can sit there and claim 2454:1 vs 900:1 is minor but it's not even worth arguing about. You can believe that if you really want, it's your money. Enjoy your purchase and i'll enjoy mine. I will be able to compare these monitors side by side in a couple weeks, so it doesn't even matter, and i'll keep the one I prefer. I will be very surprised if I prefer the LG, and why does that even matter to you? It's my money and my preference. Also, I'm not seeing any inaccuracies in my post. I play a lot of old games and indie games, many gamers do. They tend to not support 21:9. Just because you don't, doesn't make my post any less accurate. It won't work for anywhere near 100% of games.

The whole "Gaming is either the 120hz crowd or triple screen immersion crowd" statement is absurd. Who are you to tell me what I prefer? There are many gamers out there that prefer 1 of the best quality displays they can get, even if it means using 16:9 instead of 21:9. You and Dark Session seem to be the only ones in the thread that can't seem to disagree with someone's preferences without being totally hostile against them. Why does it matter so much to you? Who cares what I prefer and how does that affect you in anyway? Are you incapable of disagreeing with someone without being rude?

EDIT: This thread is a massive downward spiral due to this nonsense. I'm out, at least until the thread has recovered or until I have the displays. I'm sure even with the displays in front of me, you'll still tell me my preferences are wrong.

Last edited:
Have to agree. Didn't start this thread to have everyone crapping on each other. Let's keep this on topic guys.

BTW -- I had shipping damage so I ended up having to send my monitor back to NewEgg. Had to file a claim through UPS and it took about a week to get my money back. I'll be out of town for the next couple weeks, so I'm waiting until I get back to either:

1 -- Purchase a LG UM95 + video card
2 -- Purchase a QNIX
3 -- Wait out the 120Hz gsync monitor

They are in order of which one I'll likely do.

I loved the UM95 and if I could, I would have two 27" koreans on either side of it. The main reason I'm leaning towards a cheap 27" 1440p is because I don't need to upgrade the video card yet.

Just received mine last night. Really love the monitor apart from the, what I consider to be, rather excessive orangey IPS glow in the lower left hand of the screen.

Couple of examples with brightness set between 10 and 15. Top one is in the dark, other has a light on.

hnCOijU.jpg

NHpyrzD.jpg

It's not like I'm a stranger to IPS screens, but I've never seen discolouration like that.

Stock is so hard to come by in the UK I'm wondering whether it's worth getting it replaced.

Last edited:
Have to agree. Didn't start this thread to have everyone crapping on each other. Let's keep this on topic guys.

BTW -- I had shipping damage so I ended up having to send my monitor back to NewEgg. Had to file a claim through UPS and it took about a week to get my money back. I'll be out of town for the next couple weeks, so I'm waiting until I get back to either:

1 -- Purchase a LG UM95 + video card
2 -- Purchase a QNIX
3 -- Wait out the 120Hz gsync monitor

They are in order of which one I'll likely do.

I loved the UM95 and if I could, I would have two 27" koreans on either side of it. The main reason I'm leaning towards a cheap 27" 1440p is because I don't need to upgrade the video card yet.
Go with the Qinx and add another. I like my Qnix that much that I'll will buy another next month.
I use mine for work and gaming, and it does both well. And I did see a UM95 in person.
I like the individual screens to separate my work, rather than having everything on one screen. I've always been that way and it works for me.

[X]eltic;1040846952 said:
The 2454:1 vs 900:1 contrast figure is not a preference though, it's a fact. Add the IPS glow of the LG 34UM95 and it's easy to see why people say that the BenQ BL3200PT has better picture quality.

Contrast ratio does not extrapolate into the be-all-and-end-all of total image quality. I've seen a number of BenQ VA panels all the way back to the FP241W/VW and the two things they all have are:

1) Poor dark-to-dark pixel transition. Not usually an issue, but when playing dark games there is more smearing than IPS

2) Wide angle wash out. This may have been improved lately but looking at dark colors at the center of the screen, you can see the side angles are brighter. With the Hardforum greys it gives an almost stereoscopic 3D effect. Some erroneously say they have black crush, but I've never felt it was black crush, it's just dark details on an angle look brighter than those straight ahead.

I have the 34UM95-P on order, and am hoping it comes to Canada next week. For me the ability to internally calibrate it via True Color Finder, as well as the ability to display three full pages side-by-side steered me to this decision.

I also don't like necessarily messing with EyeFinity or nVidia surround.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
Contrast ratio does not extrapolate into overall total image quality. I've seen a number of BenQ VA panels all the way back to the FP241W/VW and the two things they all have are:

1) Poor dark-to-dark pixel transition. Not usually an issue, but when playing dark games there is more smearing than IPS

2) Wide angle wash out. This may have been improved lately but looking at dark colors at the center of the screen, you can see the side angles are brighter. With the Hardforum greys it gives an almost stereoscopic 3D effect. Some erroneously say they have black crush, but I've never felt it was black crush, it's just dark details on an angle look brighter than those straight ahead.

#1 has been greatly improved with BenQ latest models, current owners claiming they don't notice it or any ghosting/blurring. You'll definitely still get more than IPS though.

#2 is pretty much completely gone, the TFT pictures show viewing angles are just as good as most IPS panels on the BL3200PT. I'm betting there's still that slight black crush while viewing dead on though. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/benq_bl3200pt/viewing_angles_small.png

If you are on the desktop a lot more than games/movies, I agree the LG is the way to go.

#2 is pretty much completely gone

Sadly, in dark/grey tones it is not.

I am sitting right behind on BL3200PT and when having Hardforum fullscreen, left/right borders on users posts are noticeably brighter. It even reminds me IPS glow.

Not saying that I do not like my 3200, but the issue is still present.

I don't see how you can believe people didn't see ghosting or blurring in 1st/3rd person games on a 60hz monitor, let alone a VA one like the BenQ BL3200PT. Not the the 3440x1440 would fare much better at 60hz and ips response times. Just sayin'.

I don't see how you can believe people didn't see ghosting or blurring in 1st/3rd person games on a 60hz monitor, let alone a VA one like the BenQ BL3200PT.

I don't understand this either. Certain people keep asking random's if they notice any ghosting even though TFT Central's oscilloscope measurements prove the monitor is slightly slower than a decent AHVA/IPS/PLS panel. If an owner doesn't notice and does not provide a frame of reference, it only proves that they don't notice any ghosting, not that the monitor is fast.

Still, if one compares TFT Central's BenQ BL2710PT measurements (AMA High, it's actually slightly better but very comparable to the 34UM95's Middle overdrive setting according to PRAD's oscilloscope measurements) to the BL3200PT (AMA High), they can see the BL3200PT is quite comparable aside from a few very slow transitions and tiny bit of overshoot ghosting. The BL3200PT should satisfy all but the discerning AHVA/IPS/PLS and fast TN user.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those great images. I notice that there is an Energy Star decal on the left side of the bezel which presumably could be removed if one want to. How about what looks like a red icon and the LG printing in the center, are they also decals?

Yes, the Energy Star decal is just a sticker. The LG logo cannot be removed though.

Go with the Qinx and add another. I like my Qnix that much that I'll will buy another next month.
I use mine for work and gaming, and it does both well. And I did see a UM95 in person.
I like the individual screens to separate my work, rather than having everything on one screen. I've always been that way and it works for me.

Who did you buy your Qnix from? Anyone you recommend (I'm in the states).

Anyone know the best way to force the monitor to 2560x1440? I would really like to play Dota 2 at that resolution with black bars on the side, but the monitor goes from 3440x1440 straight to 2560x1080 and then 1920x1440.

What game is this??????

Hahaha glad to see your still enjoying my ol glossy.... I do miss it :)
The Qnix is definantly the go to gaming / light work productivity display at the moment and I do not think the Rog Swift is gonna be able to come anywhere close to its picture / color quality....however, the 34UM95 is easier on my eyes for longer work productivity stretches due to its "No Flicker" features. They both serve different, awesome purposes.

Last edited:
Any news on when the Dell version will be available? I needed to order from Dell before the end of July to get my additional discount.

I wish I could see this in person before buying,the nearest store is 4hrs away. I still may pick it up though because I really enjoyed my Eyefinity setup,but didnt enjoy the hassle that came with getting it to work.

I just got one from MC, and I got them to price-match my B&H preorder ;)

Will setup tomorrow I hope...

I think it will be a looooong time before we see this type of display at $250.

Well I doubt it will sell for $250....cuz even the 1440p korean monitors don't sell for $250...most are around $280-$320

If the korean version of the UM95 comes out...then I'd guesstimate somewhere in the $600 range....I still would pay $600 + squaretrade warranty...versus $1000 + tax for the UM95

I don't know. How long and in mass production were those LG panels for the ACD's, Dells, etc before the korean outlet showed up? I'm thinking a long time. Not that it couldn't happen eventually.

Spoke to Adorama CSR and was told that my backorder is expected to be fulfilled by the first week of June
Thank you for your inquiry on the status of your backorder. According to the manufacturer estimates we expect to fulfill your order for the following item(s)

SKU: LO34UM95P by First week of June.

Please note these are estimated dates given to us by the manufacturer. They are generally accurate, but are subject to change at the discretion of manufacturer.

How do you know what monitor calibrators are compatible with this?
Is the i1 Display 2 compatible?

Thanks

How do you know what monitor calibrators are compatible with this?
Is the i1 Display 2 compatible?

Thanks

Pretty much any of the big names of the last few years are. Anything older probably isn't worth calibrating any display with anyway as sealed colorimeters have only been out since the i1 Display Pro days anyway haven't they? Others with organic filters such as the i1 D2 will be inaccurate after a couple of years.

Just received mine last night. Really love the monitor apart from the, what I consider to be, rather excessive orangey IPS glow in the lower left hand of the screen.

Couple of examples with brightness set between 10 and 15. Top one is in the dark, other has a light on.

---Image from above x 2---

It's not like I'm a stranger to IPS screens, but I've never seen discolouration like that.

Stock is so hard to come by in the UK I'm wondering whether it's worth getting it replaced.

It's like instagram for monitors!
I'm not trolling, mine is BO from B&H. I hope I love it.

Back