34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

I have a Dell U3014 and for the most part love it. I bought and returned that Samsung u28d590 garbage and just happy that I didn't sell my U3014 first. Seriously, that Samsung was garbage. I noticed that the color processing on the 34UM95 is 8bit+frc and the U3014 is a 12 bit with 14 bit LUT. Any opinions on this? The difference in perceived color depth? Has anybody upgraded from a U3014 to the 34UM95? I'd love to order the LG now but debating if I should wait for the Dell if only for their premium pixel policy and possibly greater color depth.

The UM95 is 10bit over DP.

The UM95 is 10bit over DP.

Isn't it 99% sRGB? You're not going to really miss out on any colors in games, web content, etc.

The Dell warranty is far superior. If the Dell version was released and was being equally praised, I'd likely choose that one. From my past experience with an A00 U3011 and reading reviews of other early revision Dell monitors, there are bound to be issues with early monitors.

Would it be worthwhile to pick up a 3rd party warranty?

I have a Dell U3014 and for the most part love it. I bought and returned that Samsung u28d590 garbage (especially color quality) and just happy that I didn't sell my U3014 first. Seriously, that Samsung was garbage. I noticed that the color processing on the 34UM95 is 8bit+frc and the U3014 is a 12 bit with 14 bit LUT. Any opinions on this? The difference in perceived color depth? Has anybody upgraded from a U3014 to the 34UM95? I'd love to order the LG now but debating if I should wait for the Dell if only for their premium pixel policy and possibly greater color depth.

Its probably safe to assume that the dell version will use the same panel as the LG. If this one isn't capable of true 10 bit, the dell probably won't be either.

@Martha Stewart: Do you perceive any motion blur or input lag in BF4?
I want this monitor so bad but I am afraid of IPS speed deficit comparing with my current 120 hz monitor.

From all I've heard, BF4's netcode sucks ("rubberbanding" , etc)... so you aren't getting a scoring advantage vs 60hz from reports. However 120hz vs 60hz is aesthetically a huge difference to me. Screenshots look great but 1st/3rd person games are all viewport motion - continual movement keying and mouse-look pathing in 1st/3rd person games, and 120hz at 100fps+ has much greater motion definition, motion tracking, animation definition(unique frames per second), and overall smoothness/flow. 120hz also = half the FoV blur vs 60hz.. TN vs TN, IPS varieties a little more blur than those even, respectively.
web-cyb.org -120hz-fps-compared

Personally I'm interested in this monitor as a replacement to my 27" 2560x1440 IPS side of things, which I use exclusively for desktop/apps (if I can sell off my cinema display soon enough). I would think tiled clicker games like Path of Exile and Diablo3 which are point and click rather than continual FoV movement/panning would not suffer much on one though (nor would RTS games though I don't really play rts). FYI displayport 1.3 can handle 4k at 120hz if anyone ever decides to make such a montior, so perhaps someday(someyear) someone will make a 120hz+ in 4k (and maybe even 21:9) varieties. The oculus rift's consumer release is shooting for 90hz - 100hz with blur elimination tech as well (though at 1080p until future revisions and perhaps those of competitors).

I'm still waiting on the asus RoG 27" 2560x1440 120hz-144hz g-sync/ulmb one to replace my 120hz samsung A750 TN on the dedicated gaming monitor front for 1st/3rd person. If there was a 120hz 21:9 gaming monitor I would be all over it but 120hz 4k and 21:9 sounds like a long way off yet (also on wishlist, g-sync/dynamic hz and ulmb/backlight strobing options).

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what the max resolution and framerate is over the dual link dvi connection?

I have 2 PC's that I'd like to connect.

Can anyone tell me what the max resolution and framerate is over the dual link dvi connection?

I have 2 PC's that I'd like to connect.

This monitor doesn't have Dual Link input availability.

DP only.

Although if you're asking if you'll be able to run a dual link to DP adapter to this display (which would have to be active, mind you.. Lots of $$$$) I am not sure about the bandwidth capabilities of Dual link driving this display at native rez 60hz.

This monitor doesn't have Dual Link input availability.

DP only.

Although if you're asking if you'll be able to run a dual link to DP adapter to this display (which would have to be active, mind you.. Lots of $$$$) I am not sure about the bandwidth capabilities of Dual link driving this display at native rez 60hz.

I didn't think I would get so lucky (too busy to look closely at the back of it until you mentioned it.) I have a home PC and a work laptop that I need to be able to connect, and I'd rather not have to manually disconnect from my PC.

If only I could connect the thunderbolt to connect the other computer.

Isn't it 99% sRGB? You're not going to really miss out on any colors in games, web content, etc.

The Dell warranty is far superior. If the Dell version was released and was being equally praised, I'd likely choose that one. From my past experience with an A00 U3011 and reading reviews of other early revision Dell monitors, there are bound to be issues with early monitors.

Would it be worthwhile to pick up a 3rd party warranty?

The Dell warranty is superior and probably will be cheaper but like others have said, we don't know when they will release it. Also dell tends to have more aggressive AG coating and the early revisions have issues. I don't think a third party warranty will cover what Dell does, probably just protection against failure, not dead/stuck pixels or color calibration issues etc.

The Dell warranty is superior and probably will be cheaper but like others have said, we don't know when they will release it. Also dell tends to have more aggressive AG coating and the early revisions have issues. I don't think a third party warranty will cover what Dell does, probably just protection against failure, not dead/stuck pixels or color calibration issues etc.

That's true... It didn't even occur to me that Dell would put a different AG coating on this thing.

I wonder how that will look. I really like the AG (or lack there-of) on my LG model. The thing is so damn beautiful i'm kicking myself for not snatching a second one at fry's a few days ago.

The Dell U3014 anti-glare is less aggressive than the U3011. I expect the AG on the Dell 3415W to be less aggressive as well.

If LG had the same zero dead pixel policy that Dell has, I'd buy one today. But I'd be pisssssssed if I end up having a few dead pixels and its not covered under warranty after I spent $1000 on a monitor.

If LG had the same zero dead pixel policy that Dell has, I'd buy one today. But I'd be pisssssssed if I end up having a few dead pixels and its not covered under warranty after I spent $1000 on a monitor.

In that case you should wait for rev 08 for the Dell one. By then they should have ironed all the issues out.

This monitor looks beautiful. I want one! :)

Any of you guys that got it using it with a secondary monitor on the side? And in case you do, which one? Could you post a pic og two? :p

Reason is, that Im am wondering what monitor would do as a "website-skype-vent-etc-monitor" for gaming. Got a 24" and 20" atm

This monitor looks beautiful. I want one! :)

Any of you guys that got it using it with a secondary monitor on the side? And in case you do, which one? Could you post a pic og two? :p

Reason is, that Im am wondering what monitor would do as a "website-skype-vent-etc-monitor" for gaming. Got a 24" and 20" atm

I have a PLP setup on the page before this one that you can see, that being said, a 27 inch slim bezel monitor would match up perfectly height-wise in terms of the screen sizes if that is what you are looking for.

I have a PLP setup on the page before this one that you can see, that being said, a 27 inch slim bezel monitor would match up perfectly height-wise in terms of the screen sizes if that is what you are looking for.
Oh didnt even see the right side of that picture cause my laptop cut your picture in half due to the size. Thats some setup!

A secondary 27" sounds sweet :)

Waited all weekend for money to be wired through to my bank account, and this Amazon.de shop changed their price. Kinda lame. I guess that is how it works, lol.

Waited all weekend for money to be wired through to my bank account, and this Amazon.de shop changed their price. Kinda lame. I guess that is how it works, lol.

Don't feel bad.....mine has been sitting in the local UPS hub since last night and its not getting delivered until tomorrow. I called and asked them if I could just go down there and pick it up and they said "NO, its not unloaded." They said its on a big semi-trailer truck and they will not unload it until they are ready to deliver it tomorrow :mad:

I have this on order from Amazon..BUT if any other places gets them in stock I hope someone posts it.

Don't feel bad.....mine has been sitting in the local UPS hub since last night and its not getting delivered until tomorrow. I called and asked them if I could just go down there and pick it up and they said "NO, its not unloaded." They said its on a big semi-trailer truck and they will not unload it until they are ready to deliver it tomorrow :mad:

I ordered mine on Thursday but unfortunately it was coming from CA and not NJ, so it's taking the full 3 days and will be here tomorrow. Normally when I order from Newegg and it goes out of the NJ warehouse, it's here the next day.

I ordered it from Amazon, has anyone tested for PWM by any chance? LG mentions it is flicker free, so should be OK, but a confirmation would be nice.

Can someone please tell me if this baby overclocks at all. Preferably an Nvidia user, but either will do.

Does it hit 75hz without any visible to the eye frame skipping. Does it go higher???

Can someone please tell me if this baby overclocks at all. Preferably an Nvidia user, but either will do.

Does it hit 75hz without any visible to the eye frame skipping. Does it go higher???

I am curious on this also.

I've heard that over clocking your screen introduces all kinds of errors into how the image is rendered.

I've heard that over clocking your screen introduces all kinds of errors into how the image is rendered.

Only if you push too far. Most modern panels being released these days overclock by a modest amount without any trouble whatsoever. 72 or 75hz is often very achievable. Some of the cheapo Korean IPS panels (native 60hz) will go really high, 100 plus

From all I've heard, BF4's netcode sucks ("rubberbanding" , etc)... so you aren't getting a scoring advantage vs 60hz from reports. However 120hz vs 60hz is aesthetically a huge difference to me. Screenshots look great but 1st/3rd person games are all viewport motion - continual movement keying and mouse-look pathing in 1st/3rd person games, and 120hz at 100fps+ has much greater motion definition, motion tracking, animation definition(unique frames per second), and overall smoothness/flow. 120hz also = half the FoV blur vs 60hz.. TN vs TN, IPS varieties a little more blur than those even, respectively.
web-cyb.org -120hz-fps-compared

Personally I'm interested in this monitor as a replacement to my 27" 2560x1440 IPS side of things, which I use exclusively for desktop/apps (if I can sell off my cinema display soon enough). I would think tiled clicker games like Path of Exile and Diablo3 which are point and click rather than continual FoV movement/panning would not suffer much on one though (nor would RTS games though I don't really play rts). FYI displayport 1.3 can handle 4k at 120hz if anyone ever decides to make such a montior, so perhaps someday(someyear) someone will make a 120hz+ in 4k (and maybe even 21:9) varieties. The oculus rift's consumer release is shooting for 90hz - 100hz with blur elimination tech as well (though at 1080p until future revisions and perhaps those of competitors).

I'm still waiting on the asus RoG 27" 2560x1440 120hz-144hz g-sync/ulmb one to replace my 120hz samsung A750 TN on the dedicated gaming monitor front for 1st/3rd person. If there was a 120hz 21:9 gaming monitor I would be all over it but 120hz 4k and 21:9 sounds like a long way off yet (also on wishlist, g-sync/dynamic hz and ulmb/backlight strobing options).

We are on the same page 100%. However I need a bigger monitor than 27" for simracing. The added screen estate allows me to see more in side by side online battles. Asus said there will be more 144 hz g syinc monitors coming but I don't think such 34" or bigger monitor will come soon. If it does come, I will sell the LG and buy the new one.
This is my plan in a nutshell.

You guys really should read the whole thread from the point of people receiving them

Mine doesnt overclok past 62hz. in fact I would go so far as to say these do not overclock at all. sad to say peeps

I am running SLI GTX 780s

If you all want overclocked displays go get three Qnix 2710s. It would be nice if these overclocked, but lets face it.....the qnix, catleap, overlord, blah, blah, blah overclockers were a pleasant fluke of a design flaw in the knock off PCBs....and not a common everyday occurrence with top of the line name brand displays.

IT'S ARRIVED

09dZyj0.jpg

(Excuse my crappy point and shoot please. At least it wasn't a phone camera picture (though it looks like it!))

I opened it up...and immediately asked myself what in the world did I just get myself into, haha. This thing is huge.

I know they said this thing is factory calibrated...but it seems quite off. Maybe it's just me. Has anyone else had this problem?

Other than a little tweaking, this thing is perfect!

I'm going to dive into some games soon...

IT'S ARRIVED

I know they said this thing is factory calibrated...but it seems quite off. Maybe it's just me. Has anyone else had this problem?

Other than a little tweaking, this thing is perfect!

I'm going to dive into some games soon...

Yeah, most of us prefer the cinema preset so far. I really would like to see someone completely color correct in, but cinema looks much better than the regular out of the box settings.

Back