34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

ARMA 3

I am pretty sure frys will trade it as long as they have some in. They have this new 30 day return policy.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the screenshots.

Amazon seems to have the $999.99 priced 34UM95 on their website now. It is prime but still says 3 to 5 weeks for delivery. Anyways good news that it's at least posted on Amazons website:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...ie=UTF8&qid=1399224235&sr=8-6&keywords=34um95
Finally! Just ordered mine. :D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon can list stuff like that and not have it in stock for months. Not that they won't have your order logged or anything, but it is more of a placeholder. With B&H quoting late may (~may 21st) for stock amazon might get some by then however.

Amazon can list stuff like that and not have it in stock for months. Not that they won't have your order logged or anything, but it is more of a placeholder. With B&H quoting late may (~may 21st) for stock amazon might get some by then however.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's not too long of a wait. Amazon is the only retailer I'll buy monitors from as I don't want to deal with any dead pixels. Unfortunately there are no Frys in my area. :(

Registered here to give a brief first 24h report. Got my UM95 yesterday at a northern California Fry's as well.

(1) My 690 GTX has a mini-DisplayPort, but I could not for the life of me find a mDP to full-size DP adapter or cable, so I had to adapt over to HDMI, and use the HDMI input on the display. This has created the situation where the computer only sees the device as 30Hz, which is hideous. Waiting for a proper mDP to DP cable to arrive on Tuesday, and I hope that bumps me up to 60Hz.

(2) Also wondering about the various settings. I had to dial the brightness down to 60, because the display was blinding out of the box. :)

(3) The display is beautiful. Needed to put it on my 20 year-old Riverside Shakespeare from college in order to get it to the approx correct height. Ergo VESA mount: ordered.

(4) The speakers are, perhaps as expected, serviceable, but tinny.

(5) The matte finish is excellent. No discoloration or sparkle-texture as with the many Dells I've owned over the years.

Needed to put it on my 20 year-old Riverside Shakespeare from college in order to get it to the approx correct height.

Plandor, when you set the monitor on your desktop (not book) can you please measure the distance from the bottom of the display screen (not bezel) to the desktop for me? Someone on [H] posted that the monitor has two fixed heights, is that correct? If so, then I would like to know both of those measurements.

Thanks!

Yes, thats a great feature as well but what I'm getting at is this back I/O is actually a full fledged KVM switch and Thunderbolt dock. The Thunderbolt cable carries all the USB data over the cable as well as the display video and sound. I thought we neede a seperate controller for that but it's built in.

The thing with split screen is great but those dual link-up units use their own I/O such as remotes or whatever....and I wanted fullscreen access when I switch back and fourth.This combines one keyboard and one mouse flawlessly to work with two computers and only one cord for the mac, over Thunderbolt. This even works SOOO much smoother than my Geffin $350.00 displayport switch I bought a couple of years ago. Anyone need it? 50 bucks...lol, but seriously..50 bucks.:p

Now to get this to work with the USB uplink to a PC, you will need to go to LG's website and download the ASMEDIA USB hub controller. Otherwise your PC will have a total tantrum and eventually dis-own all the USB ports on the thing and your left with no input device. >>> http://www.lg.com/ae/support-product/lg-34UM95

Click "software update" and it's there...along with all the other drivers you'll need. True color finder, ect..

Cool beans. This display is what I've wanted for MANY years!! I'm in God's country !

Good to know this monitor can do that. Thanks.

Plandor, when you set the monitor on your desktop (not book) can you please measure the distance from the bottom of the display screen (not bezel) to the desktop for me? Someone on [H] posted that the monitor has two fixed heights, is that correct? If so, then I would like to know both of those measurements.

Thanks!

When the display is is mounted on the upper set of screws, it's about 3.5 inches or 9cm from the desktop to the bottom of the bezel. Note also the downward-facing joystick control enclosure protrudes ~0.5 inches from the center of the bezel, and you need additional clearance for your finger to operate it.

Can someone please test this monitor with an older Macbook over thunderbolt 1? It seems unclear whether any other mac besides the Mac Pro and the late 2013 MacBook Pro can drive this display (these new Macs run Thunderbolt 2). Thunderbolt 1 is limited to display port 1.1a output (2560x1600), however, one user on a different forum posted a screenshot of the settings in which a 2013 iMac (with a Thunderbolt 1 port) was driving the 34UM95 display...

When the display is is mounted on the upper set of screws, it's about 3.5 inches or 9cm from the desktop to the bottom of the bezel. Note also the downward-facing joystick control enclosure protrudes ~0.5 inches from the center of the bezel, and you need additional clearance for your finger to operate it.
Thank you, that was the information I was after, for sure that height needs raising. Looking forward to this monitor. Enjoy!

Can someone please test this monitor with an older Macbook over thunderbolt 1? It seems unclear whether any other mac besides the Mac Pro and the late 2013 MacBook Pro can drive this display (these new Macs run Thunderbolt 2). Thunderbolt 1 is limited to display port 1.1a output (2560x1600), however, one user on a different forum posted a screenshot of the settings in which a 2013 iMac (with a Thunderbolt 1 port) was driving the 34UM95 display...

Probably was running 2560x1080.

Anyone know what LG's dead pixel warranty policy is? I really hope my display comes from Newegg with no problems.

Ok, one thing I need to clarify: for running this thing on 60 htz refresh rate do I need display port cable or can I do it via HDMI? Can someone enlighten me please? :)

Displayport for 60hz

It will do 50Hz on HDMI. if you are using vsync that means youll be getting potentially 25fps

Ok, one thing I need to clarify: for running this thing on 60 htz refresh rate do I need display port cable or can I do it via HDMI? Can someone enlighten me please? :)

Its 50 Hz via HDMI and I don't think your gonna get full resolution that way anyway. It is 60 via TB or DP.:cool:

Also thought of another point for peeps. Using Evga Precision X this sucker would NOT overclock a bit. It freaked out after 62hz and would scramble the screen. Sad but fine for me as all I need is a frame locked 60fps without vsync.

Displayport for 60hz

It will do 50Hz on HDMI. if you are using vsync that means youll be getting potentially 25fps

I look forward to it. I wonder why I'm only able to get 30Hz off the 690, though. Perhaps something to do with DP to HDMI conversion?

I would love to see what World of Tanks looks like on this monitor. I still cant decide what video card to run with this monitor (thinking 290x or 780Ti) so holding off buying till I can decide that part at least. Btw, for those that have the monitor how far you guys sitting back? Thinking of a new desk that is 36-40 inches in depth. Leaning towards 40 inches. I'm thinking 48 inches is probably over kill. :D

I would love to see what World of Tanks looks like on this monitor. I still cant decide what video card to run with this monitor (thinking 290x or 780Ti) so holding off buying till I can decide that part at least. Btw, for those that have the monitor how far you guys sitting back? Thinking of a new desk that is 36-40 inches in depth. Leaning towards 40 inches. I'm thinking 48 inches is probably over kill. :D

I just picked up a 290 from ebay for $260 to replace my 7970. I will see about world of tanks.

WoW

n0N7khj.jpg

D3

xvuUaCn.jpg

I really hope watch dogs supports this. It's kind of up in the air because Splinter Cell BL doesnt, Far Cry 3 does, and Assasins Creed 4 BF doesnt.

Last edited:
Also thought of another point for peeps. Using Evga Precision X this sucker would NOT overclock a bit. It freaked out after 62hz and would scramble the screen. Sad but fine for me as all I need is a frame locked 60fps without vsync.

Seriously? I was able to get mine up to over 190 with EVGA.

(Humor)..

go here http://www.ti.com/product/TUSB3410

Scroll down to software and download this driver http://www.ti.com/lit/zip/sllc428

It sure as hell isnt cut and dry thats for sure. This driver worked for me.

Since installing this driver, I'm having serious issues. It appeared to work, and got rid of the unknown device, but randomly as I use the system it would make the "bling bloop" type of sound, like when you plug in something new via USB. It would continuously do this and act like something was reconnecting and disconnecting, then it would randomly reboot my PC. I had to uninstall it, but now I'm back to having the TUSB unknown device. Anyone know what the deal is? LG's CD does NOT address this at all, and just runs without doing anything.

My inintial thoughts after a couple days of use-

some pics-

BF4-

NXidAZol.jpg

mHzgU2ql.jpg

Smite-

SbqiW4Vl.jpg

Rd8ytMZl.jpg

TitanFall-
lDyP9ckl.jpg

c9p98bxl.jpg

+
+21:9 is fantastic and immersive in games with out the bezels of an Eyefinity set up.
+Colors are very good, better than the Dell 32" 4k.
+Minimal black light bleed.
+Windows 8.1 scaling of text is perfect(unlike 4k with Win8.1)
+2 to 3 Web pages/programs open at once with out any sacrifice.
+AG coating is near non existent.

-
-Stand sucks, only two height options and stand wobbles quite a bit.
-Colors out of the box are terrible(Cinema pre-set or calibration fixes that)
-Height is a tad too short, not really a complaint, but the ultimate version of this monitor would be a 36" 4k ultrawide with 120hz and a slight curve :p

Overall very impressed with this monitor, its immersive and stunning in person. Would I pick it over a 32" 4k monitor-No, but its half the price, and doesn't have the issues 4k does at the moment(MST mode, poor Win8.1 scaling, etc.) so for now this will be my main monitor. Can't recommend it enough.

My inintial thoughts after a couple days of use-

[snip!]

+
+21:9 is fantastic and immersive in games with out the bezels of an Eyefinity set up.
+Colors are very good, better than the Dell 32" 4k.
+Minimal black light bleed.
+Windows 8.1 scaling of text is perfect(unlike 4k with Win8.1)
+2 to 3 Web pages/programs open at once with out any sacrifice.
+AG coating is near non existent.

-
-Stand sucks, only two height options and stand wobbles quite a bit.
-Colors out of the box are terrible(Cinema pre-set or calibration fixes that)
-Height is a tad too short, not really a complaint, but the ultimate version of this monitor would be a 36" 4k ultrawide with 120hz and a slight curve :p

Overall very impressed with this monitor, its immersive and stunning in person. Would I pick it over a 32" 4k monitor-No, but its half the price, and doesn't have the issues 4k does at the moment(MST mode, poor Win8.1 scaling, etc.) so for now this will be my main monitor. Can't recommend it enough.

Excellent news! Too bad the stand isn't great, but at least LG included a VESA mount.

Did you use a calibrator with your monitor? I'm trying to decide which to buy. (I just set my U3011 to sRGB and never touched anything else; this time I want to get the colors a little more accurate.)

Last edited:
Excellent news! Too bad the stand isn't great, but at least LG included a VESA mount.

Did you use a calibrator with your monitor? I'm trying to decide which to buy. (I just set my U3011 to sRGB and never touched anything else; this time I want to get the colors a little more accurate.)

FWIW, i used a 3011 and the colors appear much MUCH more vivid on this display with the cinema default setting. It's insanely good. The 3011 has turned into a permanent skype display =p

80TNAwy.jpg

FWIW, i used a 3011 and the colors appear much MUCH more vivid on this display with the cinema default setting. It's insanely good. The 3011 has turned into a permanent skype display =p

Nice, maybe it won't even be necessary to calibrate.

I was using the same PLP setup you have forever (2007FP's on the side... I went a bit crazy when I found out Dell Financial sold refurbished ones for under $80 bucks like two years ago... had backups for my backups!) I'm thinking of giving the U3011 to my dad, and a calibrator like the Spyder4Elite looks like it would allow me to get all three displays to match. Enough off topic though... :D

@Martha Stewart: Do you perceive any motion blur or input lag in BF4?
I want this monitor so bad but I am afraid of IPS speed deficit comparing with my current 120 hz monitor.

Zorn:

You've gotta go download it from LG's site. I had the same problem when using the uplink to my PC. It just started throwing tantrums and was stuck in a "attach and un-attach" loop. I get what your saying. My CD drivers were utter crap as well. Why even put them out? All they did was direct me to some odd LG site anyway. I posted this earlier but go here:

http://www.lg.com/ae/support-product/lg-34UM95

Under "downloads" you'll see manuals/documents and software updates. Click software updates. You get a list of 6 or 7 device drivers, applications, true color finder, ect... Choose
"ASM DRIVER" for win 7-8. Download it and install it. Re-boot, maybe twice and your all set. Your PC will recognize it. Good luck.

Last edited:
Curiously, no., The 34UM95 monitor is running off of a Thunderbolt 1 iMac (Late 2013 iMac). The iMac drives it at 3440x1400 60hz even though everywhere I look on the internet, Thunderbolt 1 is capped at 2560x1600 due to display port 1.1a. Very strange.

Screenshot:

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=469257&d=1397946070

That iMac is running a 680mx and thats plenty to power this display but not near enough to power decent gaming on it. I believe there really is some mis-communication with the early 2013 and late 2013 macs. If this iMac can drive this natively then so can a 2012 retina MBP with the 650m. Thunderbolt can carry resolutions higher than 2650 X 1440 (HDMI 1.4 can too but that's a whole other can-o-worms). I don't know why Apple puts falshood limits on things like this..my guess is that its a fear based statement anyway, just like their BS RAM limits in the past when we all knew they supported more RAM.

Last edited:
@Martha Stewart: Do you perceive any motion blur or input lag in BF4?
I want this monitor so bad but I am afraid of IPS speed deficit comparing with my current 120 hz monitor.

No, but I am not sensitive to it.

That being said my previous wide set up was 3x24 BenQ 120hz and this is far superior because of the no bezels and IPS colors. While not as smooth, it feels smoother than any of my Dell IPS monitors.

I have a Dell U3014 and for the most part love it. I bought and returned that Samsung u28d590 garbage (especially color quality) and just happy that I didn't sell my U3014 first. Seriously, that Samsung was garbage. I noticed that the color processing on the 34UM95 is 8bit+frc and the U3014 is a 12 bit with 14 bit LUT. Any opinions on this? The difference in perceived color depth? Has anybody upgraded from a U3014 to the 34UM95? I'd love to order the LG now but debating if I should wait for the Dell if only for their premium pixel policy and possibly greater color depth.

Last edited:
Back