34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

I don't see why you guys are in a big rush to buy this monitor. In a month it will be easy to get.

In any event I decided to cancel my order for the Samsung U28D590D (hopefully they won't ship it first) and buy this one instead. I was really disappointed in the PQ of the 590D I had previously, whether it was because it was TN, or whether it was a bad one I don't know. I think I'd rather have a larger display than 4k at this point.

I remember our ebay shipping vigil thread for the 590D lol. That display was such a POS I ended up selling it to a local craigslister for a $5 profit....uggg TN + 4k was one of the worst combinations ever, that display looked like shit IMHO. I ended up getting a Dell UP2414Q which I kept for about a week before sending back because it was too small.

I have a 34UM95-P coming next week, so hopefully that will be my Goldilocks display :p

I remember our ebay shipping vigil thread for the 590D lol. That display was such a POS I ended up selling it to a local craigslister for a $5 profit....uggg TN + 4k was one of the worst combinations ever, that display looked like shit IMHO. I ended up getting a Dell UP2414Q which I kept for about a week before sending back because it was too small.

I have a 34UM95-P coming next week, so hopefully that will be my Goldilocks display :p

Unfortunately my 590D had such bad backlight bleed I ended up getting $100 refunded from the eBay seller and had to sell it on Craigslist for a $154 loss. I'll never buy a big ticket item from overseas again.:(

Well I'm going blind anyways so when I had the 590D I scaled the text to 200% so it will be no great loss. The few games I played in 4k like BF4 & Thief I really couldn't tell all that much of a difference from 1440p. Maybe they weren't the best games to take advantage of 4k, I don't know, but it could be it's just harder to tell the difference on the smaller screen.

For gaming 4K is better experienced on a big screen. I've got a Samsung 55" and games at 4K look amazing on that, a huge difference over 1080p. Unfortunately there are no HDMI 2.0 video cards yet so limited to 30 Hz atm. I've been playing Dark Souls 2 on it, the lower refresh rate doesn't bother me too much with that game...

Also I had one of the Dell 32" 4K monitors (returned it due to MST issues) and the gaming experience was less of a step-up from my 2560x1600 monitor. Still wanting to go 4K for productivity but waiting for a IPS non-MST display.

We I can verify that Neither black Flag nor Black list run native 3440 on this. Last Light is beautiful as well as BF4. It looks like the rumors are true and Ubisoft isn't to keep on this aspect ratio although FC3 does work beautifully. Its hardly matt at all. Its between AG and glossy. It's just perfect.

Start emailing Ubisoft asking them to take advantage of 21:9 resolutions for Watch Dogs.:)

We I can verify that Neither black Flag nor Black list run native 3440 on this. Last Light is beautiful as well as BF4. It looks like the rumors are true and Ubisoft isn't to keep on this aspect ratio although FC3 does work beautifully. Its hardly matt at all. Its between AG and glossy. It's just perfect.

Yeah I can't really compare the AG to anything I've used before. My room is blacked out with little light (save from various computer equipment) and it looks like gloss to my eyes in there. It really is a treat after the 3011.

So what is this on LG's website about hardware color calibration for this monitor?. This is what is on LG's website:

Hardware Calibration requires True Colour Finder (Only compatible with Windows XP/7/8 by DisplayPort; Windows 7/8 by Thunderbolt; or New Mac Pro® by DisplayPort/Thunderbolt), and compatible calibrator (not included).

What calibrator would we want to buy for this screen? anything else that would be required? I dont know much about color calibration if you cant tell haha

Does anyone know what the warranty is on the display? Newegg says 3 years, but the LG site says 1 year. If its only 1 year that makes me a little gun shy. I wish Dell would say something either way.

Does anyone know what the warranty is on the display? Newegg says 3 years, but the LG site says 1 year. If its only 1 year that makes me a little gun shy. I wish Dell would say something either way.

Pretty sure it's 3. I think Linus also said in his video it was 3 years.

Ordered my 34UM95 on Tuesday with 3-day shipping and Newegg Rush Processing and the product said it shipped Wednesday morning. It was supposed to get here tomorrow (Friday). I called OnTrac and they said that they haven't even received the package from newegg for shipping. Called newegg and they said it was still sitting in their warehouse.

The newegg customer service employee was very unhelpful and basically said that it wasn't his problem. He offered to refund the Rush Processing ($2.99) wow. When I asked to upgrade the shipping speed in order to receive by tomorrow or Saturday, he said it wasn't possible. Very dissapointed with Newegg once again. This is why I order from Amazon always and am willing to pay more through Amazon. Very frustrated sorry haha. I wish Amazon had this product in stock.

And whats the point of paying for Newegg Premier if half the products they sell don't even offer Premier? BLAH!

Last edited:
Ordered my 34UM95 on Tuesday with 3-day shipping and Newegg Rush Processing and the product said it shipped Wednesday morning. It was supposed to get here tomorrow (Friday). I called OnTrac and they said that they haven't even received the package from newegg for shipping. Called newegg and they said it was still sitting in their warehouse.

The newegg customer service employee was very unhelpful and basically said that it wasn't his problem. He offered to refund the Rush Processing. Very dissapointed with Newegg once again. This is why I order from Amazon always and am willing to pay more through Amazon. Very frustrated sorry haha.

That's why when using Newegg I always use ShopRunner shipping (free 2 day shipping) if available. If you have AMEX ShopRunner is free.

That's why when using Newegg I always use ShopRunner shipping (free 2 day shipping) if available. If you have AMEX ShopRunner is free.

Yeah I usually buy all my merchendise through Amazon (Prime Member) and don't have an AMEX card. Still doesn't excuse the lack of customer service from Newegg. I remember back in the day when Newegg had great customer service and super fast shipping. Why do companies use services such as OnTrac vs UPS/FedEx. I realize it might be cheaper for them, but at the cost of making customer very unsatisfied, it doesn't seem like a good trade off.

And whats the point of paying for Newegg Premier if half the products they sell don't even offer Premier? BLAH!

Definitely agree with this. I signed up for the Premier trial since they were so prominently advertising it at the top of the product page for this monitor. Come to find out during checkout that there are no Premier options, because this isn't one of the magically anointed products. With how little seems to qualify it isn't worth much at all.

Definitely agree with this. I signed up for the Premier trial since they were so prominently advertising it at the top of the product page for this monitor. Come to find out during checkout that there are no Premier options, because this isn't one of the magically anointed products. With how little seems to qualify it isn't worth much at all.

Please Amazon, save us all!

I am surprised, I have always had very good success with Newegg, They always took care of any issues I had and even paid for return shipping or waived restocking fees. I ordered the monitor today and it says it has shipped, I will not know until later on when the tracking number is active.

I have been using Newegg for 10 years now.

Last edited:
Looks like my next monitor. I'll wait a little while for prices to come down. Planning on building a new pc anyway when the new Intel chips come out. What do you guys think for gpu power and this monitor? One badass card or does it need dual cards for running the games at max settings?

I am surprised, I have always had very good success with Newegg, They always took care of any issues I had and even paid for return shipping or waived restocking fees. I ordered the monitor today and it says it has shipped, I will not know until later on when the tracking number is active.

I have been using Newegg for 10 years now.
I have always had good luck too but you do have to haggle with them to get the kind of service Amazon gives without any hassle at all. I am picky about monitors and I would personally stay away from newegg if I was ordering one.

Canceled my Adorama order since you can't return it if necessary. Newegg has a 15% restocking fee which is awfully steep. Looks like it will be Amazon for me, even with tax :) Really surprised they haven't received any yet.

Looks like my next monitor. I'll wait a little while for prices to come down. Planning on building a new pc an the new Intel chips come out. What do you guys think for gpu power and this monitor? One badass card or does it need dual cards for running the games at max settings?

I can test some more stuff out tonight for you. I have a single 680 and found out its not much more demanding than my 3011 was.. Any particular games you'd like to see?

Canceled my Adorama order since you can't return it if necessary. Newegg has a 15% restocking fee which is awfully steep. Looks like it will be Amazon for me, even with tax :) Really surprised they haven't received any yet.

Why? You could always light them up with negative feedback or a paypal claim in the unlikely event that you want out.

I can test some more stuff out tonight for you. I have a single 680 and found out its not much more demanding than my 3011 was.. Any particular games you'd like to see?

Elder Scrolls Online or battlefield 4!!!

So what is this on LG's website about hardware color calibration for this monitor?. This is what is on LG's website:

Hardware Calibration requires True Colour Finder (Only compatible with Windows XP/7/8 by DisplayPort; Windows 7/8 by Thunderbolt; or New Mac Pro® by DisplayPort/Thunderbolt), and compatible calibrator (not included).

What calibrator would we want to buy for this screen? anything else that would be required? I dont know much about color calibration if you cant tell haha

True Colour Finder is the software colour calibration component and can be found on the included CD, or probably on LG's website.

As for a calibration meter, I use the Datacolor Spyder 4 Pro with my LG 29EA93 (29").
It comes with it's own software, but just go ahead and use the True Colour Finder software instead. Of course you can also use a different colorimeter as well.... just make sure it's USB.

Last edited:
Waiting for my significant other to go to Japan so I can get this. Surprise. Look what I found!

I'll see what I can do for you in regards to bf& elder scrolls. I have a four day weekend ahead of me. Was thinking of reupping my wow sub too.

Well it is here, I knew what the width of the monitor was, but this thing looks like a beast on my desk, and I have not even plugged it in yet! All I did was take it out and put it on the stand, very impressive. Sad to say I will not really get a shot at using this thing until Friday night or Saturday morning. I have a lot of things I want to run through it, including my work laptop which sits on a docking station. I work from home a lot, so I can not afford to mess with my setup in the middle of a work week. But come Friday night...it's on!!

With the help of a 6 input 2 output hdmi splitter/switch, I plan on running a number of things through this monitor, including

- my hp pro book 6470b (through the docking station)
- AT&T Wireless Uverse Box
- Mac Mini
- MacBook Pro with Retina
- Xbox 360, Xbox One and PS4
- And one Thunderbolt Display which I assume I can daisy chain

Yeah, I have a lot of toys!! Unfortunately I am not very technical, so this could take awhile.

Your Mac Mini will have black bars on the side. My ps4 stretches it to fill but you can manually fix it to display proper 16.9.

For those wanting BF4 stuff, I have sli 780's vanilla's and not OC'd at all. I hardly notice any drop in frame rates from my 2560 x 1440

Last edited:
Your Mac Mini will have black bars on the side. My ps4 stretches it to fill but you can manually fix it to display proper 16.9.

For those wanting BF4 stuff, I have sli 780's vanilla's and not OC'd at all. I hardly notice any drop in frame rates from my 2560 x 1440

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro 15 inch and 2013 MacBook Air 13 inch. Anyone know if I would experience the black bars on the side?

I am only aware of the late 2013 MacBook Pro retina being able to run this resolution. I haven't heard of any other Macs capable of running this aside from the new Mac Pro Darth Vader black hole trash can tower. I've got the 15" retina with the 750m. I'll grab a thunderbolt cable tomorrow and see if this is actually true or not.

I have this plugged in via thunderbolt to my 2013 rMBP, it supports it out of the box. No issues to report so far. Using it on my PC as well via DP, Win 8.1 recognized it instantly as well, no drivers needed.

Also, if anyone would like to share some calibration settings or have figured out what half the stuff does in the OSD, that'd be great. The manual isn't exactly the most robust documentation.

I am only aware of the late 2013 MacBook Pro retina being able to run this resolution. I haven't heard of any other Macs capable of running this aside from the new Mac Pro Darth Vader black hole trash can tower. I've got the 15" retina with the 750m. I'll grab a thunderbolt cable tomorrow and see if this is actually true or not.

Thanks for the info....sounds like 2560x1440 for me. Need to see what is my best option. Trying to do a dual monitor setup

How about this? I was planning on getting a 95UM until I found this.

Thanks. Will check it out. Would love if he can display 2 sources like the LG. I also have an option to buy a 2 month old Apple Thunderbolt
but hesitating due to lack of USB 3 update.

Appreciate the offer. I play a variety of games. The two I play the most right now is Borderlands 2 and World of Tanks. Hopefully a gpu like 290x or 780Ti will be sufficient for maxing out most games at this resolution. If not I'll go with a dual gpu set up. Hopefully a gpu with no more than 4GB memory will be needed. I expect we'll see 5GB or 6GB memory gpu's in the near future but the added pricing won't be cost effective.

Appreciate the offer. I play a variety of games. The two I play the most right now is Borderlands 2 and World of Tanks. Hopefully a gpu like 290x or 780Ti will be sufficient for maxing out most games at this resolution. If not I'll go with a dual gpu set up. Hopefully a gpu with no more than 4GB memory will be needed. I expect we'll see 5GB or 6GB memory gpu's in the near future but the added pricing won't be cost effective.

Ive been messing around in random games on steam and have found very few that really push my 2GB 680 to its limits, even while still driving the 3011 and a 1080P TV on my right as well.

I'm impressed, but for the blockbuster titles, i'm glad i snagged another 680 on ebay. I think i finally found a monitor that is just all around wonderful.

Been following this thread for some time. It's definitely the most comprehensive for this monitor on the net. Anyone have any clue about UK availability? We always seem to get the pretty toys last.

Oh, to answer my own question, here's a link on Amazon. £1,134.13! Jeeze. I think i'll wait for the price to come down a bit. That's $1900.

There's another on there for £855.29, which is more reasonable but still pricey. Both shipping from Germany.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Been following this thread for some time. It's definitely the most comprehensive for this monitor on the net. Anyone have any clue about UK availability? We always seem to get the pretty toys last.

Oh, to answer my own question, here's a link on Amazon. £1,134.13! Jeeze. I think i'll wait for the price to come down a bit. That's $1900.

There's another on there for £855.29, which is more reasonable but still pricey. Both shipping from Germany.

I ordered mine from Germany too. Confirmed today it will arrive in Romania by Monday. Cost incl. shipping was around 980 euros.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back